Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 25-11-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 25-11-11

Latest Transfer Update at 25-11-11

Tevez: Milan link

Manchester City fans need to wait for a bid to arrive before they can begin to think Carlos Tevez's eventful two-and-a-half year stay at the club is drawing to a close.
    The news that Tevez's advisor Kia Joorabchian is in talks with AC Milan should not come as any surprise. After all, the South American has been angling after a move for almost 12 months.
    He has not played for City since the furious row erupted over his non-participation in Munich nearly two months ago, which ended with him being fined two weeks' wages.
    Since then, he has headed back to Argentina, leaving City completely in the dark over a potential return date.
    However, the Blues hierarchy have absolutely no intention of letting Tevez leave on the cheap.
    In the summer, a deal of around 44million Euros, including add-ons, was agreed between City and Tevez's former club Corinthians, only to collapse due to the Brazilian outfit's inability to come up with a payment schedule that suited the Blues.
    It is not known whether Milan would need to come up with a similar figure to get Tevez to Italy. However, they will have to find a sizeable sum just to get round the negotiating table.
    On the face of it, a move to Milan would be ideal for Tevez.
    He has made no secret of the fact he would prefer to live somewhere more suited to his wife and two children and Italy fits the bill, whilst professionally, it could not be regarded as a backward step even if Milan do not have City's financial clout.
    Their status as seven-times European Cup winners mean Milan have a history only Real Madrid can trump and after being cast in the shadow of local rivals Inter since Mancini's days at the club, the Rossoneri are now beginning to punch their weight again, winning the Italian title under Masimiliano Allegri last term.
    They have not been scared of spending big money either, securing Zlatan Ibrahimovic's services from Barcelona for around 24million Euros and Robinho, who they signed from City for 15million, although both sums were much less than they had previously been bought for.
    However, losing to Barcelona on Wednesday night was yet another reminder they remain slightly short of top class and, now condemned to a second seeding which could land them with a very awkward last-16 tie when the draw is made in Switzerland next month, Tevez may give them the addition touch of quality they require.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 25-11-11

Cahill: Linked with a move away from Bolton.

Bolton manager Owen Coyle admits he's prepared for clubs to come in for Gary Cahill in the January transfer window.
    The England defender is out of contract at the end of the season and renewed speculation has seen linked with a move to a bigger club this winter.
    The Trotters rejected a 'derisory' bid from Arsenal for Cahill in August, and Coyle insists the 25-year-old is focused on steering the club clear of relegation.
    Coyle said: "Gary Cahill is an outstanding player. Whatever comes in January, we will deal with it.
    "Between now and then, he has to be focused and doing his job to the best of his abilities, as he always has done, both for himself and his international aspirations, and the team.
    "Gary is a top player. If there are people who might be interested come January, so be it."

Jermain Defoe: Planning to stay at Tottenham

Jermain Defoe insists he has no plans to leave Spurs despite losing his starting spot.
    Emmanuel Adebayor and Rafael van der Vaart have been preferred to Defoe in attack with the 29-year-old forced to play primarily from the bench..
    Queens Park Rangers are among the clubs said to be interested in Defoe as Neil Warnock looks to bolster his attacking options in January.
    However, Defoe insists he is going nowhere and that he is prepared to wait for his chance to stake his claim for a place in Spurs' side.
    "Fans who have probably read things come up to me every day and say, 'Don't leave the club'. I was at a charity dinner the other night when a fan came up and said it to me," Defoe told the Daily Mirror.
    "I've done it before - when I went to Portsmouth and scored my goals to remind people what I can do - but I am committed to Tottenham. I love the club and I love the fans.
    "It's a really important time for the club. Everyone wants to play their part and I'm no different."
    Defoe does concede his lack of first-team football could cost him a place at Euro 2012 with England.
    The former West Ham and Portsmouth man has been overlooked for the last few England squads by Fabio Capello and he does not want to miss out on next summer's finals in Poland and Ukraine after missing the 2006 World Cup.
    "I won't lie, I am worried about not going to the European Championship. I want to give myself every chance," added Defoe.
    "It feels already a little bit like the 2005-06 season, when I scored a lot of goals but didn't start a lot of matches. I ended up not going to the World Cup and I don't want that to happen again.
    "I believe that if I am playing, I have got a real chance of going to the Euros. But I'm going to bide my time.
    "I'm 29. I know that the reason I have been left out of the last few England squads is that I have not been starting for my club.
    "Darren Bent has been playing regularly for Aston Villa and Danny Welbeck has been playing for Manchester United. So they are getting picked ahead of me."

Villas-Boas: Still has backing from top brass

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas insists he retains the backing of Roman Abramovich and the players, despite his troubled start to life at Stamford Bridge.
    Villas-Boas shrugged off the mounting pressure on him following the Blues' worst beginning to a campaign since Abramovich bought the club eight years ago.
    Speculation is rife Villas-Boas could be sacked if he fails to arrest a slump that has seen Chelsea slide out of the Premier League top four and in danger of failing to reach the last 16 of the Champions League.
    There have also been reports of player unrest at the tactical changes made by the 34-year-old, who was tasked by Abramovich with getting the club to play more like Barcelona.
    Villas-Boas confirmed he had spoken to the Russian billionaire since Wednesday night's last-gasp Champions League defeat at Bayer Leverkusen, revealing he had been given his boss' full support.
    Asked if Abramovich had promised to give him time to turn things around, he said simply: "Yes."
    Villas-Boas refused to go into more detail about their conversation but added: "Everybody wants to get out of a situation like this."
    The Portuguese had appeared drained after Wednesday night's defeat but looked confident and relaxed under the watchful eye of chairman Bruce Buck, who made a surprise appearance at the club's press conference to preview Saturday's game against Wolves.
    Villas-Boas even joked he had not expected to see himself on the back pages of newspapers despite the mounting pressure on him.
    But events took a more serious turn when he denied reports of angry exchanges during meeting of players and staff yesterday.
    "Not critical meetings, no animosity, not insults here and there, no critique whatsoever regarding what we are doing, no doubts whatsoever regarding what we are doing," he said.
    "Self-confidence and self-belief is what we need now and everybody wants to get it.
    "That thing only comes with wins."
    He added: "The philosophy will be the last thing to die at this club.
    "It's a thing that makes technical staff and players very, very proud."
    Villas-Boas also rubbished suggestions his lack of experience necessitated the appointment of an older coach to work alongside him, such as Guus Hiddink.
    "I don't agree with that," he said, insisting he and his current staff would solve Chelsea's problems.
    "I don't solve problems on my own. I solve them with my group of people and my group of players.
    "I'm not a religious person, so I just hold on to my self-belief and the belief in my players' talents."
    Chelsea's mental strength was also questioned this week by former midfielder Michael Ballack.
    Villas-Boas said; "Michael is always very self-opinionated.
    "I disagree with him. He doesn't live in this dressing room.
    "He used to live here before and he didn't solve all the problems before."
    Asked what he thought had gone wrong in a run of four defeats from seven games, Villas-Boas said: "When you are hyped up emotionally and when you have more confidence, things go better for you.
    "A negative streak of results can be explained by emotional states and it could be just that.
    "So we need to find the right emotional stimulus, plus the right balance in terms of what we do to get the results that we want.
    "It could be just around the corner."
    Three of those defeats all came late on in matches and Villas-Boas added: "There is the so-called Fergie time and Man United seems very successful in making the most out of that time.
    "In football, you just have to get the focus right in those last minutes."
    The Portuguese admitted Chelsea were in a "life and death" situation in the Champions League and the same could be said about their Premier League challenge.
    Failure to beat Wolves could see them drop to seventh place by the end of this weekend, although victory might send them as high as third.
    "Every game gives you an opportunity to get back on track and that's exactly our focus," said Villas-Boas of a game in which he will be under more scrutiny than ever.
    But he added: "The spotlight is something I that I don't think is disturbing to me.
    "It doesn't disturb me whatsoever.
    "It's not about me as an individual, it's about my group of players and this football club."

Coyle: Progress being made

Bolton boss Owen Coyle insists the club have made massive strides during his two years in charge.
    Coyle often recounts how the Trotters were second from bottom and in dire danger of relegation when he completed a controversial switch from Burnley to succeed Gary Megson in January 2010.
    The problem is Bolton are now only one place higher after a difficult start to the campaign, when a run of tough fixtures against the Premier League's big guns was followed by a succession of injuries which have bitten deep into Coyle's squad.
    However, ahead of Saturday's showdown with Everton at the Reebok Stadium, no matter what the statistics might say, Coyle is adamant progress has been made.
    And he is utterly convinced that when the final standings are confirmed in May, Bolton will be nowhere near the relegation zone.
    "There has been huge improvement at this club," said Coyle.
    "We are two years down the line and the things we have put in place in terms of infrastructure have made it a better place.
    "I have to stress, where we are at the moment is due to a number of things, some of which are out of our control.
    "What I have to do is see through that and look at the bigger picture.
    "It is not bravado, I know that by the end of the season, we will not be in the bottom three."
    However, Coyle does recognise his defiance counts for only so much.
    Normally one of the most careful managers in the Premier League with his statements, it says a lot that Coyle declared himself to be angry with his side's second-half performance at West Brom last week.
    By tossing away a winning position, Bolton cost themselves a long-awaited back-to-back victory, ruining the momentum generated the previous week when they put five goals past Stoke.
    It is the type of inconsistency any manager would find frustrating and Coyle accepts it must be eradicated.
    "It is fine me talking about us being good enough to move up the league. We have to deliver," he said.
    "The players have shown in some of their performances how good they can be. We have to bring that to the table on a consistent basis.
    "Getting some of our top players back would help.
    "In the meantime we soldier on. Yes, there is an element of frustration, that goes hand in hand with the job.
    "But there is a wider aspect to all this. We are at a wonderful football club with a tremendous history and tradition. We will make sure we continue that."
    With young defender Joe Riley ruled out by a hamstring strain, Coyle is crossing his fingers on-loan Dedryck Boyata recovers from an ankle injury which has kept him out for a month.
    A return to top form for Gary Cahill would help too after some below-par performances in recent weeks.
    The England defender will not need reminding that he has scored against Everton in each of the last two corresponding fixtures, both of which Bolton have won.