Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 28-11-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 28-11-11

Latest Transfer Update at 28-11-11

Giovanni Trapattoni: Has guided Ireland to Euro 2012
    TRAPATTONI CLAIMS REPUBLIC DEAL DONE

Giovanni Trapattoni claims he has agreed a deal in principle which will see him stay on as Republic of Ireland manager.
    The Italian's current contract expires at the end of Ireland's Euro 2012 campaign and calls for him to be awarded fresh terms have grown since the Republic booked their place at the finals.
    The Football Association of Ireland confirmed that they were planning to hold talks after qualification was secured through the play-offs.
    Discussions have progressed positively since then and Trapattoni says an agreement has now been reached.
    "I will be staying, it is agreed but it is not signed yet," he said.
    With Ireland set to learn their group on Friday, Trapattoni admits there are a couple of nations he is looking to avoid.
    He said: "I want to avoid Germany because they are one of the best teams in the world and England because of the emotions tied up with a game against them for Ireland."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 28-11-11

Andre Villas-Boas: Backed by Mata
    MATA - SQUAD RIGHT BEHIND AVB

Juan Mata insists Andre Villas-Boas has the total backing of the Chelsea squad.
    Villas-Boas, installed as manager this summer following the departure of Carlo Ancelotti, was forced to deny reports last week that some members of the Chelsea squad had become unhappy with his tactics.

Recent defeats to QPR, Liverpool, Arsenal and Bayer Leverkusen had left the 34-year-old Blues boss under pressure, but he responded well on Saturday by guiding his team to a comfortable 3-0 win over Wolves at Stamford Bridge.
    Mata was the architect of the midlanders' downfall, setting up John Terry and Daniel Sturridge for the first two goals before adding his own on the stroke of half-time to seal the win.
    The Spain international was happy see his team return to winning ways after a difficult run and rubbished talk of a rift between Villas-Boas and the Chelsea squad.
    "It's never easy to have such negative results, but we all have a lot of faith in ourselves as a team. We have a lot of faith in our coach and in the quality of the squad," Mata said.
    "We had a team meeting last week simply to reiterate that we are all together and that we are heading in the same direction and we showed that against Wolves.
    "The group has always been very united, and we have always been sure that the secret in enjoying more success as we go forward, in getting out of this moment, has been to stay strong and stay together."
    Chelsea will come up against Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester City and Valencia in their upcoming fixtures, and Villas-Boas knows he still has a lot of work to do to drag his team back into the title race.
    The Portuguese was happy to get back to winning ways, however, and reaffirmed his belief that his squad is capable of challenging in all competitions this season.
    "It was important for us to win, but it's not about me, it's about this club, and at the moment this club is fifth in the table," Villas-Boas said.
    "Hopefully we can get the results to get into a decent position.
    "We just have to continue our work. We trust these players to take us to four trophies and I believe in them."
    Fernando Torres was left on the bench for Saturday's win, with Villas-Boas preferring to use Didier Drogba as the head of a three-pronged attack with Sturridge and Mata.
    Torres, a British record 50million purchase, may return to the starting XI for Tuesday's Carling Cup quarter-final against former club Liverpool, and Villas-Boas has urged the Spaniard to be patient.
    "I'm sure Fernando and the others will get a chance in the future," he said.
    "Fernando had a good run when he performed for the team, but we decided in this run to go with Didier for consistency and to give the team a reference point."

Uploads

Garry Kenneth: 'Time for a change'
    KENNETH TO LEAVE DUNDEE UNITED

Defender Garry Kenneth has announced his intention to leave Dundee United at the end of the season.
    The 24-year-old Scotland international is out of contract in May and has told manager Peter Houston he would like a new challenge.
    Kenneth, who made his debut in February 2005, said in the Daily Record: "It's time for a change. I need a fresh go and it's something I will look at over the next six months.
    "The big challenge is to go down south and do it at a high level. A new start would be good for me. If I get my league form going again hopefully I'll attract some interest.
    "The manager has not said much but I believe he understands where I'm coming from. Dundee United are a feeder club - it has always been like that.
    "Mark Wilson and David Goodwillie have used it to move on to bigger things and I want a bigger club too."

Uploads

Ferdinand: Had been linked with move to America
    FERGUSON: FERDINAND GOING NOWHERE

Sir Alex Ferguson has removed any doubts regarding Rio Ferdinand's future by claiming the centre-half can play on for 'another couple of years'.
    It had been suggested that Manchester United would be willing to let the 33-year-old leave as they continue to inject young blood into their starting XI.
    With the likes of Jonny Evans, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones now on the club's books, the Red Devils are well stocked defensively.
    Ferdinand was touted as the one that would make way for the next generation, with rumours linking him with a move to the American MLS.
    Ferguson, though, has sought to bring about an end to the speculation by insisting that the England international will see out his contract at Old Trafford.
    "Rio's been a great player for us and it's important to explain his present position," said the United boss.
    "There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, absolutely not. I have no issues at all with Rio, he can play for another couple of years quite easily.
    "He's got a part to play. He's got experience and he's good in the dressing room, players look up to him.
    "He's a big figure in our dressing room, so that will continue. I have no thoughts of letting him go."
    While keen to keep Ferdinand on board, Ferguson admits he does have one eye on the future - with United having already lost one experienced defender in the form of the now retired Gary Neville.
    He added: "Rio is not as quick as he was five years ago, that happens.
    "People do lose their pace but he's adjusting his game accordingly.
    "We've been building a team for the day Gary and Ferdinand left, it's a fact.
    "We have to look ahead and there's nothing wrong with that, but it shouldn't mean that Rio looks upon it as the end of his football life."

Uploads

Harry Redknapp: Happy with the squad
    HARRY REDKNAPP RULES OUT SIGNINGS

Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp claims to have no intention of dipping into the transfer market when the window re-opens in January.
    The Spurs boss is usually among the busier Premier League coaches during the summer and New Year, with players moved in and out of White Hart Lane.
    Redknapp has overseen a squad transformation during his time with the North London outfit, with Tottenham once again challenging for a top-four finish.
    It could be argued that they are still in this season's title race, with five straight wins taking them to within six points of league leaders Manchester City.
    It was expected that Redknapp would look to further bolster his ranks in January to help Spurs push on into 2012, but he insists he has no plans to bring in fresh faces.
    "As it stands, I'm not looking to bring anyone into the club in January," he said.
    "I was initially concerned about injuries to some of our defenders, which left us light on the ground. But with William Gallas and Ledley King returning, those concerns have subsided.
    "To be honest, we have a very strong squad, one of the best in the Premier League, so I wouldn't know where to bring in players that would improve us, as we are pretty strong all over the pitch.
    "There is absolutely no point in going out and signing players if they can't improve the team. And, as it is, I have enough strength in depth in my squad."
    With the likes of Gallas and King set to return to the Spurs ranks, Redknapp insists only untimely injuries to key men will force him to look for new recruits.
    He explained: "What I can't legislate for is injuries and that is the only time I would possibly look at bringing someone into the club.
    "Yet, even then, it would have to be something serious to make me reconsider.
    "I can't fault the players I have. We are on a tremendous run and the players we have bought in during the summer like Scott Parker and Emmanuel Adebayor have improved us and taken us to another level.
    "This is the strongest squad I've had under my control and we're not just looking at challenging for the top four, why shouldn't we consider being title contenders?
    "It's a tough ask, with the likes of Manchester City and United, but if they slip up, we're capable of taking advantage."

Uploads

John O'Shea: Says home form must change
    O'SHEA: HOME FORM CRUCIAL

John O'Shea has admitted Sunderland need to return to winning ways sooner rather than later if they are to save Steve Bruce's job.
    Wigan substitute Franco Di Santo sparked a furious response from the home fans at the Stadium of Light with an injury-time strike which secured a priceless 2-1 victory for the club which started the day at the foot of the Barclays Premier League table.
    For the first time, the silent majority joined forces with the vocal minority which has been demanding the manager's head for some time to make for an uncomfortable afternoon for chairman Ellis Short in the stands.
    The Texan businessman had earlier insisted in his programme notes that there was no need for panic, but Republic of Ireland defender O'Shea knows just how significant next weekend's trip to Wolves and Blackburn's visit to Wearside seven days later could prove.
    He said: "You see the attendances we are getting, the fans coming to support us and especially at home, we haven't had as many wins as we would have liked.
    "That's something we have got to change very quickly because if you want to stay in the Premier League, your home form is supposed to be key.
    "We are going to have to definitely change that. We are away next week, but we have got a good enough belief to get three points at Wolves and then get three points at home to Blackburn. But that's easier said than done."
    The statistics make for depressing reading. Sunderland have won only two league games all season and have collected three points on their own pitch just twice in 15 attempts since January 1.
    Of the 30 league outings they have contested since their 3-0 triumph over Blackburn on New year's Day, they have tasted victory on just seven occasions and collected a meagre 28 of the 90 points on offer.
    Bruce's critics in the stands questioned his parentage, the place of his birth and his dietary regime as the latest disaster unfolded.
    But more significantly, it was his ability to take the club to the next level which was the major topic for debate in the aftermath of a damaging 90 minutes which has piled the pressure on his players in their next two games.
    O'Shea said: "Especially because of this result, that will be the case.
    "But it's a long old season and if we keep our preparation right like we have been doing and creating as many chances as we have been doing in games, surely we have got to take more chances than we have done."
    Sunderland's inability to convert pressure into goals has proved hugely expensive this season, and it returned to haunt them again yesterday.
    Having squandered a series of opportunities against Fulham last week to draw 0-0 at the Stadium of Light, the Black Cats started in determined fashion and were in front within eight minutes.
    Wigan keeper Ali Al-Habsi could not hold Nicklas Bendtner's swerving shot, and although he recovered well to block Kieran Richardson's follow-up, Sebastian Larsson was on hand to blast the rebound home.
    Bruce's men tore into the Latics and, but for Al-Habsi, would have had the points wrapped up long before half-time.
    If the Oman international had been culpable for the goal, he was faultless thereafter, producing fine saves to deny Richardson and Wes Brown in quick succession, and then Larsson, Phil Bardsley and O'Shea.
    But the visitors were handed a lifeline on the stroke of half-time when referee Kevin Friend awarded a penalty for Larsson's challenge on Victor Moses - "I have seen it five times and it certainly wasn't a penalty," said Bruce - and Jordi Gomez duly obliged to drag his side back into the game.
    Buoyed by their equaliser, Wigan enjoyed the better of the second half, although the game looked to be meandering towards a draw until Brown suffered a catastrophic meltdown three minutes into injury time.
    Having played a steepling clearance back to keeper Keiren Westwood, the former Manchester United defender was mugged by James McArthur as he dwelt on an admittedly unkind return pass, and when the midfielder picked out fellow substitute Di Santo in front of goal, he shot gleefully into an empty net.
    A crestfallen Bruce was nevertheless defiant as the boos rang around the stadium.
    He said: "If you are going to do the job, there are going to be times when it is tough.
    "I have had tough times - probably not as tough as this one at the moment - but I am determined."

Uploads

Steve Bruce: Vowing he won't walk away
    STEVE BRUCE VOWS NOT TO QUIT

Shellshocked Sunderland boss Steve Bruce insisted he will never walk away from his post despite the home fans turning on him during Saturday's 2-1 home defeat by Wigan.
    The Latics ended a run of just one point from nine games with a shock success at the Stadium of Light, courtesy of substitute Franco Di Santo's injury-time winner.
    Some Black Cats supporters were already calling for Bruce's head with the score at 1-1, and the vitriol pouring down from the stands in his direction at the final whistle was simply staggering.
    Chants of 'Bruce out' and 'You fat Geordie *******, get out of our club' reverberated around the ground, with boos and jeers sending the manager and his players scurrying down the tunnel.
    But Bruce insists he will not walk away and said: "I've never given up on anything in football. My intention is certainly not to walk away or quit, that's not in my nature.
    "I can't help where I was born, I've got to live with that, but when you are up against it like we are at the moment you have to stick together and try and see it through and try and turn them (the fans) round.
    "It borders on abuse. When it gets like it is, it's disappointing to hear, but I'm a resilient so-and-so and I've had stick all my life and come through it and I'm determined to see it through.
    "But you can only do that with a few results. And unfortunately, at home in particular, we haven't had enough victories to appease the public, which is your first priority as a manager.
    "As far as my future is concerned, that's up to others, but I have no intention of walking away or quitting. I'm more determined than ever to see it through, I don't think we're that far away."

Uploads

Roberto Martinez has been backed by Whelan
    MARTINEZ GRATEFUL FOR WHELAN SUPPORT

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez believes the club has a bright future because chairman Dave Whelan has stuck with him "through thick and thin".
    Martinez has endured a difficult two-and-a-half years in charge at the DW Stadium but his success in avoiding relegation with a small club attracted overtures from Aston Villa in the summer.
    The Spaniard resisted them to stay with Latics, whom he first joined as a player in the old Third Division in 1995, and Whelan rewarded him with a new contract.
    Whelan, a former professional footballer himself, has since continued to back the 38-year-old throughout a difficult start to the current Barclays Premier League campaign.
    Martinez told FIFA.com: "Big changes take a long time and the chairman understood that and he supported me through thick and thin.
    "Now we have the rewards, two years later we have an average group that has played a lot of games in the Premier League but with a very young age, and that gives you real good assets in the football club.
    "But I think the way to play now is quite established in our football club, and to do that you need to be a chairman that has been involved on the playing field - not just in football - but on the playing field.
    "He's played in every division, he's been a chairman in every division and that's a huge strength for any manager to have that relationship with a chairman, that he understands the game, he understands the footballer, he can see if you're going in the right direction or not beyond the results.
    "Sometimes we are a bit fickle - we get carried away with good results and we get carried away negatively with bad results, and he's got that calm presence of understanding if we are on the right path or not."
    Wigan, after collecting just five points in their opening 11 Premier League games, have lifted some of the gloom surrounding their position with their last two performances.
    Latics ended a run of eight successive defeats with a draw against Blackburn - when they conceded one controversial goal and an injury-time equaliser - before coming from behind to beat Sunderland on Saturday.
    Those results have at least allowed Wigan to climb off the bottom of the table and Martinez is determined to keep Whelan's "dream" alive.
    He said: "Obviously he is a persuasive figure and he's such a winner that you end up believing him.
    "Then when you sit down and you think about the project and the aspirations, they are hard to believe.
    "In 1995, we had an average gate of 3,000 fans at Springfield Park and his ambition was to move into a new ground - that's the first thing he said, 'We're going to move into a new ground and in 10 years' time we're going to be in the Premier League'.
    "We got enrolled in that dream, that train of thought, and you could see that he was doing things differently and we started competing with other clubs.
    "It's a fantastic dream to be able to explain that we've been in the Premier League for seven years now and we're still going strong, defying the odds year after year and starting to play a brand of football that makes everyone at Wigan Athletic very proud.
    "It is demanding but the chairman is the influence and the main reason why this dream happened."
    Whelan, 75, recently revealed he was considering passing control of the club to his grandson when he decides to step down.
    Martinez said: "You can't imagine Wigan Athletic without Dave Whelan, one doesn't go without the other.
    "The chairman, actively or not, will always have the presence, meaning and soul of this football club.
    "I don't believe him when he says that he's going to step down, he'll have to be pushed away to leave Wigan Athletic."

Uploads

Ricky van Wolfswinkel: Watched by English duo
    VAN WOLFSWINKEL HAPPY IN LISBON

Ricky van Wolfswinkel is flattered to have been linked with the likes of Manchester United, but insists he is happy at Sporting Lisbon.
    The Holland international only joined Sporting in the summer on a five-year contract from Utrecht, but has impressed in Portugal.
    He has been watched on several occasions by United in recent weeks and Chelsea have joined their Premier League rivals in keeping tabs on the 22-year-old.
    Van Wolfswinkel is reported to have a 22million euro (18.9m) release clause in his contract, which is around four times the figure Sporting paid Utrecht for his services.
    However, he has played down speculation that he could move on again in January after expressing his contentment with life in Lisbon.
    "It is good that my name was linked to big clubs such as Manchester United and others in England, but I am really content and happy at Sporting," Van Wolfswinkel told Dutch radio station NOS.
    "Things are excellent in every sense. I play for a good club and I am scoring goals because I am taking this satisfaction on to the pitch."
    Van Wolfswinkel's representative Louis Laros admitted over the weekend that he did not anticipate any January departure for the forward.
    "Chelsea and Manchester United have watched Ricky, like other young footballers in Europe, but I do not expect a possible deal in the January market," Laros told the Portuguese media.
    "Nobody has spoken to me directly and Sporting are not interested in a deal at the moment.
    "However, in the world of football, it is impossible to say never about a sale."

Uploads

Nicky Maynard: Impressed by Derek McInnes
    MAYNARD HINTS AT ROBINS STAY

Nicky Maynard is keen to test himself at the highest possible level, but has hinted he may be willing to pen a new deal at Bristol City.
    Maynard has been in discussions regarding a contract extension for some time, with the Robins eager to keep him at Ashton Gate.
    The striker is yet to put pen to paper and his future remains a topic of intense speculation, with City forced to fend off bids for him during the summer.
    They opted against cashing in at that time as they remain hopeful Maynard will commit his future to the club.
    The 24-year-old admits there is a good chance he will agree fresh terms, with City having been rejuvenated since the arrival of Derek McInnes as their new boss, but he is keeping his options open for now.
    "If the team keep winning there is a good chance I'll stay," he said.
    "Talks have been ongoing since an offer was put on the table in the summer and the gaffer knows where my head is.
    "It's all about getting results. All players want to play at the highest possible level and I am no exception. But I am really enjoying my football, which counts for a lot.
    "The boss has lifted the pressure that was building on us. Everyone is arriving at training laughing and joking.
    "We get to vote for the worst trainer at the end of each week, which is always fun. I don't like to mention names, but Marvin Elliott has won it two weeks on the trot!
    "When we were losing games we kept on trying to analyse why and maybe went into too great a detail. Sometimes that can frustrate players.
    "Now everyone is champing at the bit to play. The new boss doesn't name his team until an hour before each game, which keeps us all on our toes and creates a feeling of togetherness."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast