Latest Transfer Update at 30-11-11
Carlo Cudicini: Eyeing new Spurs deal
CUDICINI STILL HUNGRY FOR NEW DEAL
Carlo Cudicini is determined to earn a contract extension at Tottenham and keep repaying the club for the faith they showed in him when he was recovering from the horrific motorbike accident that almost ended his career.
The arrival of Brad Friedel this summer means Cudicini has not played a Barclays Premier League game since last season, but the Italian has enjoyed a string of starts in the Europa League.
Despite being 38, the Italian signed a one-year contract extension in the summer and has performed well in Europe, with his most impressive display coming three weeks ago in Russia where he prevented Rubin Kazan from inflicting a hammering on the London club.
His performances have been all the more remarkable given that his career was nearly brought to an end two years ago when he was left with two broken wrists and a shattered pelvis following a motorbike crash in London.
Manager Harry Redknapp urged Daniel Levy to sign Cudicini up for another year last week and the veteran stopper, now fully healed following the accident, would be delighted if he remained at White Hart Lane to keep playing a part in the development of a Spurs squad that he thinks is destined for great things.
"My contract is running out at the end of the season. At 38, year by year, you try to deserve a new contract so that's what I'm trying to do," said Cudicini, who will start in goal for Spurs in their Group A clash against PAOK Salonika on Wednesday night.
"I still have the motivation to try to get into the first team. If you don't have that at 38 it's better for you to play golf every day instead. You need to have that motivation.
"I am happy here. Of course everyone would like to play more games but I can be happy, I have everything."
Cudicini came close to retiring two years ago when he crashed into a car in Walthamstow and had to be rushed to hospital for what the ambulance services described at the time as "potentially life-changing injuries".
The former Lazio keeper, whose father Fabio won the European Cup with AC Milan, admits the journey back to full fitness was hard.
"It was difficult to see your team-mates training, playing and getting results," he said.
"When I was doing the recovery with the physio I was trying to do my best to be able to see if I was going to be able to play again, and of course it was a big question mark.
"But that is a thing that has helped me along my career. When you work hard and keep going 100 per cent you normally get results in the end.
"The club and my team-mates and the physios were very close to me and they helped me a lot during that time. I was working hard and I was seeing results, and that gives you the confidence to keep doing your best. And in the end, as you can see, I'm training and playing."
Despite being happy as Redknapp's second choice, Cudicini admits it is unusual being at a club where he has to fight the 40-year-old American and last year's number one Heurelho Gomes to get a starting place.
Cudicini said: "It is strange. I can't see many teams in Europe that has three goalies like our team. When you have a difficult situation of course some of the people might not be happy, but in modern football you have to be able to put your personal interests on the side, and when you have the chance to play to always try to give 100 per cent."