Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 30-11-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 30-11-11

Latest Transfer Update at 30-11-11

Carlo Cudicini: Eyeing new Spurs deal
    CUDICINI STILL HUNGRY FOR NEW DEAL

Carlo Cudicini is determined to earn a contract extension at Tottenham and keep repaying the club for the faith they showed in him when he was recovering from the horrific motorbike accident that almost ended his career.
    The arrival of Brad Friedel this summer means Cudicini has not played a Barclays Premier League game since last season, but the Italian has enjoyed a string of starts in the Europa League.
    Despite being 38, the Italian signed a one-year contract extension in the summer and has performed well in Europe, with his most impressive display coming three weeks ago in Russia where he prevented Rubin Kazan from inflicting a hammering on the London club.
    His performances have been all the more remarkable given that his career was nearly brought to an end two years ago when he was left with two broken wrists and a shattered pelvis following a motorbike crash in London.
    Manager Harry Redknapp urged Daniel Levy to sign Cudicini up for another year last week and the veteran stopper, now fully healed following the accident, would be delighted if he remained at White Hart Lane to keep playing a part in the development of a Spurs squad that he thinks is destined for great things.
    "My contract is running out at the end of the season. At 38, year by year, you try to deserve a new contract so that's what I'm trying to do," said Cudicini, who will start in goal for Spurs in their Group A clash against PAOK Salonika on Wednesday night.
    "I still have the motivation to try to get into the first team. If you don't have that at 38 it's better for you to play golf every day instead. You need to have that motivation.
    "I am happy here. Of course everyone would like to play more games but I can be happy, I have everything."
    Cudicini came close to retiring two years ago when he crashed into a car in Walthamstow and had to be rushed to hospital for what the ambulance services described at the time as "potentially life-changing injuries".
    The former Lazio keeper, whose father Fabio won the European Cup with AC Milan, admits the journey back to full fitness was hard.
    "It was difficult to see your team-mates training, playing and getting results," he said.
    "When I was doing the recovery with the physio I was trying to do my best to be able to see if I was going to be able to play again, and of course it was a big question mark.
    "But that is a thing that has helped me along my career. When you work hard and keep going 100 per cent you normally get results in the end.
    "The club and my team-mates and the physios were very close to me and they helped me a lot during that time. I was working hard and I was seeing results, and that gives you the confidence to keep doing your best. And in the end, as you can see, I'm training and playing."
    Despite being happy as Redknapp's second choice, Cudicini admits it is unusual being at a club where he has to fight the 40-year-old American and last year's number one Heurelho Gomes to get a starting place.
    Cudicini said: "It is strange. I can't see many teams in Europe that has three goalies like our team. When you have a difficult situation of course some of the people might not be happy, but in modern football you have to be able to put your personal interests on the side, and when you have the chance to play to always try to give 100 per cent."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 30-11-11

Moussa Sow: Eyeing Premier league move
    MOUSSA SOW DREAMS OF PREM MOVE

Lille striker Moussa Sow has admitted he dreams of playing in the Premier League after talks over a new deal broke down.
    Sow has established himself as one of the best strikers in Europe after helping Lille win Ligue 1 last season and a number of clubs have been credited with an interest in his services.
    Lille are keen to tie Sow down to a new deal with his current contract due to expire in 2013, but talks have stalled
    Arsenal are thought to be long-term admirers of the Senegal international and Sow admits he would be interested in a move to a "big club" like the Gunners.
    "I have a contract signed until June 2013 and Lille want me to sign another contract but the negotiations have stopped," Sow told RMC Sports.
    "I don't accept the conditions or the silence from the club. That's not me putting on pressure, just the truth.
    "I'm only thinking about football and it's not possible to leave in January.
    "But my dream is to play in the Premier League, because you progress as a player with the atmosphere, goals and game.
    "I watch the games with envy on TV. I desire to play there one day. Arsenal are a big club. But we will see."

Uploads

Samir Handanovic: Linked with Arsenal
    UDINESE PLAYERS 'NOT FOR SALE'

Udinese will not sell any of their players during the winter transfer window, according to club owner Giampaolo Pozzo.
    Reports in Italy have linked several Udinese players with a move away from the Friuli outfit in January.
    Winger Gabriel Torje and goalkeeper Samir Handanovic are reported targets of Arsenal.
    "I request for the local media to stop talking about the transfer window because we have absolutely no intention of or need to sell," Pozzo told www.udinese.it.
    "In fact, we only have the need to act on the market regarding possible acquisitions. My ambition is to make this club grow."
    Udinese are third in Serie A, two points behind league leaders Juventus.
    They are also competing in the Europa League and Coppa Italia this season.

Uploads

Hector Cuper: Contract ended at Racing
    CUPER LEAVES RACING ROLE

Primera Division basement boys Racing Santander this evening parted company with coach Hector Cuper.
    Racing sit bottom of the table, three points from safety, following Sunday's 2-1 loss to Real Mallorca and have just one league win to their names this season.
    Cuper's departure had been widely expected following that result, despite his having been in charge for only 13 league matches.
    And a statement from the club on Tuesday night read: "Real Racing Club and coach Hector Cuper, along with his assistants Carlos Fantaguzzi and Angel Puebla, have agreed to end their contracts.
    "This decision, agreed by both parties, was reached at a meeting in which the coach discussed with the club the reasons for the difficult situation of the team."
    Cuper said on www.realracingclub.es: "I regret this situation and not being able to get more wins, which would have given us peace of mind.
    "The results have not come together and it's best we separate our ways.
    "From my heart I wish the best for Racing."
    Racing's next game is a home clash with Villarreal on Saturday.

Uploads

Scott Brown: Entering final six months of his contract
    LENNON HOPEFUL OVER BROWN DEAL

Neil Lennon remains confident captain Scott Brown will commit his future to Celtic even though he can hold talks with other clubs this week.
    The midfielder is about to enter the final six months of his current contract and has yet to put pen to paper on a new deal.
    However, Lennon has no fears about his skipper looking elsewhere and believes Brown's Celtic future will be secured in the coming days.
    He said on Tuesday: "I think we are pretty close to getting the deal done.
    "It's just a question of talking to his representatives as soon as possible and coming to a resolution.
    "I think he wants to stay and I don't think we are far away. It's dragged its heels a bit but I'm quite confident we can get it done.
    "There are all sorts of reasons why it's not been done yet but it's certainly not been for the lack of trying.
    "We all know he can talk to clubs on Thursday but I had a chat with him today, he wants to stay here and I'm confident we can get it done over the next few days."
    Brown has been out of action since mid-September with an ankle injury but has returned to training and could be in contention for Wednesday's Europa League game against Atletico Madrid at Parkhead.
    Lennon added: "He has trained today and we will talk things over with him and the medical team this evening and see if he can be in contention.
    "It would be nice to have him in the squad but, if it's too early for him tomorrow, then he will definitely be involved at the weekend."
    While confident of securing Brown on a new deal, Lennon refused to be drawn on potential targets ahead of the January transfer window.
    Celtic have been linked with Maritimo's Baba Diawara, as well as Scotland striker Jordan Rhodes after Lennon took in Huddersfield's game against Charlton.
    Lennon said: "I was down watching the game. I'm not here to talk about any players, particularly players who are under contract with another club.
    "We are not even in December yet and I'm being asked questions about players coming in or going out.
    "I'm preparing a team for a big European game and I'm not prepared to talk about much else really.
    "We have our eye on a couple of targets but there are no guarantees of getting deals done.
    "We have come through a bit of a rough period in the season and we are on a good run now.
    "Confidence is high in the squad and there is a good feeling around the club again and we are looking forward to the upcoming games.
    "When January comes we will deal with it behind closed doors as best we can."
    Celtic have slashed Rangers' lead at the summit of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League from 12 points to just four points in the space of nine days.
    But Lennon has no fears about the resumption of their European campaign derailing their efforts in domestic competition after bridging the gap.
    He said: "I don't think it will. The Rennes game, when we won 3-1, was a real confidence boost, it was a real shot in the arm for the players.
    "We've not looked back since then.
    "For all the people who think we are taking this competition lightly, we're not. We're serious about it.
    "We want European football at the club and we have enjoyed the challenges so far. We have two more huge games coming up."
    Celtic sit third in Group I and travel to Udinese in their final group match.
    Asked if this clash with Atletico Madrid is a must-win match, Lennon said: "A draw might give us a slight chance of qualifying but a win would make our chances a lot better.
    "We've got home advantage, we are in good form on the back of probably our best performance of the season at the weekend.
    "It's a game that we are really looking forward to.
    "They are a class side and they played very well against us in the corresponding fixture in Madrid.
    "They won this tournament not so long ago and they have a team packed full of quality players.
    "We are under no illusions, it's going to be a real test for us."

Uploads

Billy Brown: Staying on
    BROWN TO STAY ON AT HIBERNIAN

Hibernian have confirmed that Billy Brown will remain at the club as assistant to new manager Pat Fenlon.
    Brown, 60, joined the Edinburgh side as Colin Calderwood's number two in September and assumed the role of caretaker boss when Calderwood was sacked earlier this month.
    He was interviewed as one of the short-listed candidates for the Easter Road hotseat but Hibs chiefs opted instead for Fenlon, who was officially unveiled on Friday and looked on from the directors' box as his new team slumped to a 3-1 defeat at St Johnstone 24 hours later.
    Fenlon was joined in the McDiarmid Park stand by former Manchester United and Newcastle player Liam O'Brien and the former Republic of Ireland international, 47, will join the Hibs coaching staff as first team coach on a contract to the end of season 2013-14.
    O'Brien previously worked with Fenlon as a coach at Irish side Bohemians.
    Fenlon said: "I'm delighted to be able to put such a strong management team together. Billy possesses an incredible knowledge of the Scottish game and the strengths that Liam brings will be extremely valuable to the club.
    "We all share a huge passion for the game and a desire to create a winning culture here at Hibernian."
    The new-look coaching team was announced after Hibs confirmed on Monday that first-team coaches Gareth Evans and Alistair Stevenson had both departed the club.

Uploads

Kyle Lafferty: Had car window smashed
    McCOIST: LAFFERTY WON'T BE DRIVEN OUT

Rangers manager Ally McCoist is confident Kyle Lafferty will not allow sectarianism in Scotland to drive him away.
    The Northern Ireland international had his car window smashed at a petrol station near his home in Glasgow last week.
    Celtic striker Anthony Stokes was recently targeted by thugs, while Hoops boss Neil Lennon was a sent a 'viable' explosive device earlier in the year and players Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt were sent bullets in the post.
    McCoist admits the actions of a minority continue to cause problems for the rest of Scottish football, but he is optimistic regarding contract negotiations with Lafferty.
    "I think we are all sick of it (sectarian attacks). So Kyle's no different from the rest of us," he said.
    "Anthony Stokes' window gets panned in, and Kyle gets his car done. It's a sad reflection on society but I still think we are getting better.
    "But I don't think what has happened would stand in the way of Kyle signing a new deal. I would certainly hope not anyway."
    McCoist was responding to comments made by Lafferty in which he aired his frustration at being targeted by thugs during what should be a special moment in his life.
    "I'm doing okay, but I'm sick of all this nonsense - there's no need for it," he said.
    "All I want to do is concentrate on my football with Rangers and my relationship with Nicola, and I can't wait for the birth of our baby in three weeks' time. These are exciting times for me and I don't need them ruined by incidents like this."

Uploads

Ally McCoist: Bendiksen deal close
    RANGERS CLOSING ON BENDIKSEN DEAL

Rangers manager Ally McCoist has revealed the club are closing in on a new contract for Thomas Bendiksen.
    The Norwegian netted for the Gers in their friendly defeat against Hamburg on Tuesday night.
    The 22-year-old, who joined Rangers in August 2007, has not played a competitive match for the club with his early progress hampered by a long-term knee injury.
    McCoist said: "I'm delighted for Thomas after his goal. He's had a lot of problems with injuries and hasn't got as many games as he would have hoped.
    "But hopefully that's him getting there now because he's a great lad and he just wants to play football.
    "He's a terrific trainer and a mean player too, so if we can keep him fit and keep him ticking over, hopefully he'll do well for us.
    "We've been talking to Thomas and his agent for the last two or three weeks about a new deal because we're very, very keen to do one with them.
    "There's something on the table and I'm very hopeful, given he is keen to stay, that we can do something there."

Uploads

Aidy Boothroyd: New Northampton manager
    BOOTHROYD GETS NORTHAMPTON POST

Aidy Boothroyd has returned to management with npower League Two strugglers Northampton.
    The former Watford, Colchester and Coventry boss, 40, has signed a one-year rolling contract and succeeds Gary Johnson eight months after leaving the Ricoh Arena.
    The deal brings to an end a two-week search for a new manager, during which time the Cobblers have been heavily beaten twice under two different caretaker-bosses, David Lee and Tim Flowers.
    The Cobblers are currently 21st in League Two and just three points above the relegation zone.
    Boothroyd, who will be assisted by former Swindon manager Andy King, becomes Northampton's sixth manager in five years, and the seventh appointed by David Cardoza since he became chairman of the club.
    Cardoza said: "We are absolutely delighted to have Aidy on board, and that he has agreed to take up the challenge of moving this club forwards.
    "We were fortunate to have interviewed a number of excellent candidates. We took on board lots of advice and plenty of opinions from people within the game and the message came back loud and clear that Aidy was the best candidate for the job.
    "We were looking for a special type of manager who can succeed in two equally important tasks. We need someone who can work to steer us away from the position we find ourselves in in the short term, and someone who can take the club forward in the longer term.
    "From our talks it is clear that Aidy knows the problems we have been suffering and he has done his homework on us. He is a good age, he already has plenty of experience from managing in the Premier League and Football League.
    "He knows the challenge ahead of him and he has the hunger and the desire to succeed and follow up the phenomenal success he has already had in his career as a manager."

Uploads

Steve Bruce: Dismissed as Black Cats manager
    SUNDERLAND SACK STEVE BRUCE

Sunderland have parted company with manager Steve Bruce after chairman Ellis Short described results this season as "simply not good enough."
    Saturday's home defeat to Wigan left Sunderland 16th in the Barclays Premier League, just two points above the relegation zone.
    Bruce had insisted he had no intention of walking away from the Stadium of Light, despite fans calling for his head at the weekend.
    In a statement released on the club's official website, www.safc.com, Short said: "This has been a difficult time for everyone at Sunderland and is not a situation that any of us envisaged or expected to be in.
    "It is my job as chairman to act in the best interests of our football club at all times and I can assure everyone that this is not a decision I have taken lightly.
    "Sadly results this season have simply not been good enough and I feel the time is right to make a change.
    "Steve has acted with honesty and integrity throughout, which is testament to the character and commitment he has shown during his time at Sunderland.
    "I would like to personally place on record my thanks to him for his significant contribution to our football club over the past two and a half years and everyone here at Sunderland naturally wishes him the very best for the future.
    "I would also like to thank our fans, who have endured a trying start to the season. Their support continues to be the driving force behind our club and is vital as we now look to the future."
    Assistant manager Eric Black will take charge of the team while the search for a new manager begins.
    The Black Cats travel to Wolves on Sunday, one of a series of four games which Bruce had targeted to help his side climb the table.
    However, a dire 0-0 draw with Fulham was followed by Saturday's defeat to then-bottom Wigan, who snatched a last-minute winner following a blunder from Wes Brown.
    Following the weekend trip to Molineux, Sunderland are at home to fellow strugglers Blackburn, with both games live on television.
    Former Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill - a boyhood Sunderland fan - is the early favourite to replace Bruce, ahead of the likes of Mark Hughes and Rafael Benitez.
    Steve Bruce Factfile:
    1960: Born December 31 in Corbridge, Northumberland.
    1978: Signs as an apprentice with Gillingham after being rejected by Newcastle, Sunderland, Bolton, Sheffield United and Southport because he was deemed too small.
    1984: Joins Norwich.
    1985: Wins the League Cup but 1984-85 season ends in relegation from Division One alongside Sunderland - the team they beat at Wembley. Named player of the season in his first year at the club.
    1987: December 17 - Bruce is bought by Alex Ferguson at Manchester United for 825,000 just two weeks before his 27th birthday.
    December 19 - Makes his United debut in a 2-1 win away at West Ham.
    1996: June 1 - Leaves United having made 414 appearances and scoring 51 goals. During his time with the club, Bruce won three league titles, the FA Cup twice and the European Cup Winners' Cup once in 1991.
    August - Joins Birmingham and is named captain.
    1998: July 2 - Becomes player-manager at Sheffield United. Plays 11 matches for the club before retiring after a game against Sunderland on November 28.
    1999: May - Leaves his post as manager of Sheffield United before becoming manager at Huddersfield.
    2000: October 16 - Sacked by Huddersfield after failing to make the First Division play-offs and making a poor start to the 2000-01 season.
    2001: April 4 - Appointed manager of third-tier side Wigan.
    May 31 -
    Leaves Wigan after just 57 days at the club to join Crystal Palace.
    November 2 - Leaves Palace having won 11, drawn one and lost six games of the 2001-02 season.
    December 12 - Is confirmed as manager of Birmingham with the team lying 10th in the second tier. His arrival was delayed by a dispute with Palace chairman Simon Jordan over his contractual obligations which was eventually settled with a compensation package.
    December 16 - First game in charge at Birmingham results in a 2-1 away loss to Wolves.
    2002: May 12 - Bruce's Birmingham are promoted to the Premier League after beating Norwich in the play-off final at the Millennium Stadium. In the 27 games that Bruce was in charge that season, Birmingham won 13, drew eight and lost six.
    2004: June - Signs a five-year contract extension at Birmingham after the club finish 13th in 2002-03 and 10th in 2003-04.
    2006: April 29 - Relegated from the Premier League with Birmingham following a 0-0 draw at home against Newcastle.
    2007: May 6 - Promoted to the Premier League in second place despite losing 1-0 away to Preston in their last game of the season.
    November 20 - Replaces Chris Hutchings at Wigan after he was in charge for just 12 games.
    2009: June 3 - Leaves Wigan and signs a three-year contract with Sunderland.
    August 15 - First Premier League game in charge of Sunderland ends in a 1-0 win away at Bolton with 10million signing Darren Bent scoring the only goal.
    2010: February 10 - Fined 2,500 for criticising referee Andre Marriner regarding the sending-off of Michael Turner in Sunderland's 4-3 loss to Manchester City in December 2009.
    May 9 - Sunderland finish in 13th with 44 points having won 11 games.
    2011: May 22 - Ends the 2010-11 season with a 3-0 win against relegated West Ham. Sunderland finish the season in 10th with 47 points and 12 wins.
    November 30: Four days after a 2-1 home defeat to bottom club Wigan, and with Sunderland 16th in the table with just two wins from their first 13 games, Bruce is sacked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast