Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 01-12-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 01-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 01-12-11

Martin O'Neill: Next Sunderland manager?
    WHO NEXT FOR SUNDERLAND?

After Steve Bruce's departure from the Stadium of Light, Press we look at some of the possible candidates to replace him on Wearside.
    MARTIN O'NEILL Former Celtic boss O'Neill is strongly linked with the Sunderland post whenever it becomes vacant but has yet to actually make the move to Wearside. After nearly 18 months out of the game, however, the Northern Irishman may be ready to re-enter the fray and is odds-on with some bookmakers to take the role.
    ERIC BLACK Scotsman Black has been Bruce's assistant at both Birmingham and Sunderland but has managerial experience in his own right from his time in charge at Coventry. However, he would represent a low-profile choice and would be unlikely to appease the majority of disgruntled supporters.
    MARK HUGHES Former Blackburn, Manchester City and Fulham boss Hughes seems among the more popular candidates amongst the Stadium of Light faithful. However, he may eventually prove to be in the frame to replace the late Gary Speed as Wales boss for a second term.
    LEE CLARK The most controversial candidate would undoubtedly be passionate Geordie Clark. Currently cultivating a stellar managerial reputation in charge of League One Huddersfield, Clark crossed the Tyne-Wear divide as a player only to leave on bitter terms and would represent a brave choice.
    RAFAEL BENITEZ Former Champions League winner Benitez is thought to be eager to return to management and has repeatedly spoken of his intention to continue his career in England. Whether a relegation battle in the north east is what he has in mind is another question, however.
    BOB BRADLEY Former United States national team boss Bradley has been linked with the position in recent days largely due to his nationality, with Sunderland's owner and chairman Ellis Short a fellow American.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 01-12-11

Mark Hughes: Tipped for Sunderland job
    FORMER BLACK CAT HOPING FOR HUGHES

Former Sunderland player Michael Gray believes Mark Hughes is the perfect candidate to revive the Wearsiders.
    Steve Bruce paid the price for a poor start to the campaign last night when he became the first manager in the Premier League to lose his job this season.
    And Gray, who played under Hughes at Ewood Park, has made former Blackburn, Fulham and Manchester City boss Hughes his "number one candidate".
    The 37-year-old, who played for his hometown club from 1992-2004, told BBC Radio Five Live: "I was with him for four years at Blackburn and I know exactly how he works.
    "He gets the best out of players. The last 15 minutes of games was when it counted, he had us so fit. And that's what Sunderland are missing at the moment.
    "He's certainly number one on my list. I'd like to see either him or Martin O'Neill, but my number one candidate is Mark Hughes.
    "I know he would hit the ground running, getting positive results for Sunderland and moving them into the top half of the Premier League."
    O'Neill is the bookmakers' favourite ahead of Hughes as Sunderland owner and chairman Ellis Short begins the search for Bruce's replacement.
    Saturday's home defeat to Wigan - who started the day bottom of the table - left Sunderland 16th in the league, just two points above the relegation zone.
    Bruce insisted he had no intention of walking away from the club, despite fans calling for him to depart.
    But Short had clearly seen enough after Wigan snatched a last-minute winner which means the Black Cats have won just two of their last 15 league games at the Stadium of Light.
    In a statement released on the club's website, safc.com, Short said: "This has been a difficult time for everyone at Sunderland and is not a situation that any of us envisaged or expected to be in.
    "It is my job as chairman to act in the best interests of our football club at all times and I can assure everyone that this is not a decision I have taken lightly.
    "Sadly results this season have simply not been good enough and I feel the time is right to make a change.
    "Steve has acted with honesty and integrity throughout, which is testament to the character and commitment he has shown during his time at Sunderland.
    "I would like to personally place on record my thanks to him for his significant contribution to our football club over the past two and a half years and everyone here at Sunderland naturally wishes him the very best for the future.
    "I would also like to thank our fans, who have endured a trying start to the season. Their support continues to be the driving force behind our club and is vital as we now look to the future."
    Assistant manager Eric Black will take charge of the team ahead of Sunday's game at Wolves.

Uploads

Brooking: Capello could stay on
    BROOKING: CAPELLO COULD STAY ON

Sir Trevor Brooking has refused to rule out completely the prospect of Fabio Capello remaining as England manager beyond Euro 2012.
    Capello's 6million-a-year contract is due to expire in the summer and the Italian has already been linked with a number of high profile jobs, including at mega-rich Russian outfit Anzhi Makhachkala.
    The Italian has tended to brush off any suggestion he may be persuaded to stay with England.
    However, with the number of English candidates few in number beyond present favourite Harry Redknapp, who has a court case for tax evasion looming in January, Capello might suddenly look like the best option if England perform as hoped next summer in Poland and Ukraine.
    Although Brooking insists the present "mindset" is for a home-grown coach, particularly as the National Football Centre at St George's Park in Burton is due to open next year, he did not completely rule out the prospect of Capello being asked to stay on.
    "Let's worry about that when it happens," Brooking told BBC Radio Five Live.
    "Fabio's contract ends in the summer and the mindset is for change but you never say never.
    "We are certainly hoping to do better this summer than we did in South Africa."
    FA chairman David Bernstein has vowed not to make any decision until after the European Championships in order to ensure England are not distracted.
    Given they have barely five weeks from the end of the European Championships until the first friendly of the new season, it is dubious that there will be no intense discussions on the matter amongst the Club England hierarchy, who will be responsible for making the final decision.
    "If we could get someone home grown it would send out right message," said Brooking.
    "It would launch a new era and we do want a system where we have an English coach.
    "But we don't want to lock it in. How many candidates are there?
    "I am sure Harry Redknapp would be high in the betting but we will look at it on merit at time.
    "When it comes to the end of the season it will be clearer."

Uploads

Steve Bruce: Sunderland exit
    GRAY BACKS STEVE BRUCE EXIT

Former Sunderland midfielder Michael Gray believes the Wearsiders acted at the right time to replace manager Steve Bruce.
    Bruce tonight paid the price for a poor start to the season, with Sunderland 16th in the table after just two wins in 13 Barclays Premier League games.
    And Gray, who played for his hometown club from 1992-2004, told BBC Radio 5 Live: "No-one likes to see a manager get the sack but the time is probably right.
    "Its unfortunate but the players haven't been performing to their best and results aren't what were expected.
    "He brought in 10 players in the summer. People have said they need time to gel but how long do you need?
    "It's all about performances and results week in, week out.
    "The buck stops with the manager and the result at the weekend (a 2-1 home defeat to Wigan) was probably the last straw.
    "When you don't get the results the fans turn and that happened on Saturday. They were going crazy.
    Gray, 37, believes the next two matches - at Wolves and at home to Blackburn - are must-win encounters.
    He added: "Everyone's expectations were a top-10 place but we are nowhere near that.
    "Six points from the next two games are a must.
    "Whoever the next manager is, they have got to come and rally those players.
    "We need them to get us looking up the table, rather than looking down."

Uploads

Goran Pandev: Happy at Napoli
    PANDEV EYES PERMANENT MOVE

The agent of Goran Pandev has claimed his client would welcome a permanent stay at Napoli.
    The Macedonian striker joined Napoli this summer on a season-long deal from Inter Milan.
    Pandev, who scored twice in Tuesday's 3-3 draw against Juventus, has made eight league appearances for Napoli so far.
    "Considering the good rapport there is between the Napoli president and his Inter counterpart, there is a possibility that a permanent deal could be reached," Pandev's agent Carlo Pallavicino told Gazzetta dello Sport. "If that was to happen, we would be truly happy.
    "For the time being we are happy that Pandev's arrival has been important for the team. When you arrive at Naples, you no longer want to leave.
    "Goran is more convinced that he wants to remain at Napoli."
    Pandev joined Inter from Lazio in January 2010 but failed to earn a regular spot in the Nerazzurri's starting XI.

Uploads

Simon Jentzsch: New deal done
    JENTZSCH SIGNS NEW DEAL

Augsburg goalkeeper Simon Jentzsch has signed a new deal that will keep him under contract at the club until June 2013.
    The former Wolfsburg player's previous terms were set to expire at the end of the season having joined Augsburg in the summer of 2009.
    But both parties wasted little time in reaching a decision over an extension following successful discussions.
    Jentzsch told Augsburg's official website: "We had a conversation that lasted about two minutes. We found an agreement.
    "This is why the club and I have the same ideas and feelings. I like to progress the team with my experience."
    Augsburg general manager Andreas Rettig also thinks the experience of 35-year-old Jentzsch will continue to prove beneficial.
    Rettig said: "In the last 30 months, Simon Jentzsch has won the respect of the people of Augsburg. He is a key player, one that also leads the lines off the pitch."

Uploads

David Beckham: Yet to decide on his future
    DAVID BECKHAM MULLS 'BIG DECISION'

David Beckham insists he has still to make a decision over his future with Paris Saint Germain eager to secure his services.
    The former England captain's four-year spell with Los Angeles Galaxy is drawing to a conclusion and a number of clubs are keen to sign the veteran midfielder.
    Ambitious Ligue 1 outfit PSG are reported to be leading the race for his signature, with sporting director Leonardo confirming initial discussions had taken place.
    Beckham, who lifted the MLS Cup with Galaxy to secure the first trophy of his spell in the United States, has not ruled out signing a new deal with his current employers.
    But the 36-year-old, speaking in the Philippines where Galaxy a playing a series of friendlies, accepts he has a "big decision to make".
    "I'm very proud of the time that I've spent with the Galaxy and it might continue," said Beckham.
    "I think at the end of the day I have a big decision to make but I obviously haven't made one yet."
    Beckham has always stated his desire to be part of Stuart Pearce's Team GB squad for the London 2012 Olympics, and is widely expected be included as one of the over-age players in the party.
    "Hopefully I'll be going back to London next summer," he added.

Uploads

Raul: Current deal expires next summer
    SCHALKE TO HOLD RAUL TALKS

Schalke are to hold contract talks with striker Raul in the next month with a view to agreeing a new deal.
    The former Real Madrid star's current deal is set to expire in June 2012 and he has in the past been linked with a move away from the Bundesliga club.
    Premier League side Blackburn showed interest in the summer, but Raul wanted to stay at Schalke.
    The 34-year-old will now be invited to hold talks with Schalke, who he joined in the summer of 2009, regarding his future.
    Club general manager Horst Heldt told spox.com: "We are to sit down in December, maybe just in January.
    "We will have a look at the basic situation and decide how it will be going in the future.
    "He is a leading figure of our squad and is giving his best all the time. It is usual that he can still improve. No-one is able to always bring out the very best performance.
    "Anyway, we are extremely delighted about his mentality both on and off the pitch.
    "He is a player that leads the squad and he is a person our supporters like very much. We absolutely know that."

Uploads

Younes Kaboul: No plans to leave
    YOUNES KABOUL DISMISSES JUVE LINK

Younes Kaboul has played down reported interest from Juventus and insists he's happy at Tottenham.
    The France defender has been excellent for Harry Redknapp's side during a run of form in the Premier League which has yielded 28 points from 10 matches.
    Kaboul's eye-catching performances in the heart of the defence have led to reports he is being tracked by Juventus.
    The centre-back, under contract at White Hart Lane until 2014, has previously been linked with the Serie A and European giants.
    But he is adamant he does not want to move and said: "I am fine here with Tottenham. The manager trusts me and likes me to play for him. I am very well and settled here.
    "Juventus is a great club and attractive. But, to be honest, I like it here at Spurs, so I am here and we are trying to fight until the end of the season to be challenging for the title and also for the Champions League positions.
    "Hopefully we will achieve that because this league is a tough league."

Uploads

Steve Kean: Defended team selection
    STEVE KEAN CLARIFIES 'FORFEIT' COMMENTS

Blackburn manager Steve Kean has defended his team selection at Cardiff on Tuesday and claims his use of the word "forfeited" in relation to Rovers' Carling Cup exit has been misinterpreted.
    The under-pressure Scot is keen to focus on getting his side out of the relegation zone after a miserable start to the season.
    That prompted him to say, after the quarter-final 2-0 defeat to the npower Championship side: "We are in a position where we have forfeited going through in this competition and having the chance to reach a cup final."
    That statement was leapt upon by the media but Kean has tried to clarify his words.
    "My comments at the press conference were taken out of context," he told Blackburn's website.
    "There is absolutely no way that we would ever consciously forfeit a game, quite the opposite.
    "What I was trying to say was that by not winning we had forfeited an opportunity to take another step towards a Wembley final.
    "If my explanation or wording was vague or unclear then I regret that."
    Kean insists cup competitions still have a significant position with Rovers but with the team bottom of the Premier League their priority lies elsewhere.
    He made five changes to the team on Tuesday with the club's long-term future in mind.
    "I want to stress that both of the major knockout competitions are massively important to us, but the Premier League will always be our primary objective," he added.
    "I am a big fan of the Carling Cup and I refute in the strongest possible terms any suggestion we didn't treat the competition with due respect.
    "However, I make no excuses for recognising the importance of Saturday's game with Swansea and basing my decisions accordingly - as the manager I have to assess every situation on its merits.
    "I made changes at Cardiff more out of necessity than choice.
    "We had Steven Nzonzi suspended, Junior Hoilett had to return home with a virus and I simply could not risk the fitness of Chris Samba, Martin Olsson or Michel Salgado.
    "All three had been out for several games with hamstring problems and the medical advice indicated that to play them on Tuesday would represent a major risk to their long-term fitness.
    "Had any of them felt a reaction they could have been sidelined until the New Year.
    "Given our situation in the Barclays Premier League and a massive home game looming at the weekend against Swansea, it was a risk I just couldn't take.
    "I would like to make it perfectly clear that I used a selection process at Cardiff similar to that of other rounds of the Carling Cup, a type of rotation system - used by many managers - whereby some fringe players were given the opportunity to show what they could do.
    "We fielded seven full internationals and two under-21 internationals and the starting line-up was one I believed to be more than capable of getting a positive result."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast