Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 03-12-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 03-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 03-12-11

Nicolas Anelka: Transfer request accepted

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas has confirmed that the club have accepted transfer requests from Alex and Nicolas Anelka.
    The pair were missing from the squad for Saturday afternoon's 3-0 Barclays Premier League victory at Newcastle amid reports that they had been ordered to train with the reserves after being told they are no long part of the manager's plans.
    Villa-Boas confirmed after the final whistle that transfer requests had been received and accepted, and that Brazilian defender Alex and French striker Anelka are no longer training with the first team.

Villas-Boas said: "The conversation was fair and very, very frontal and direct with the players. The players have shown their interest in leaving the club, they have put in transfer requests for quite some time.
    "They are top, top professionals - their professionalism and integrity is never in question - but at this moment and with the recent from and results, we have decided just to try to get the group together, and we have decided to assign different training times for Anelka and Alex.
    "Again, it was a frontal and direct conversation, the players were fantastic in assuming it. The group was informed and they took on board the decision.
    "The transfer request was accepted - it doesn't mean that it will happen, and if it doesn't happen, the players will return to full training."
    Both men played in Tuesday night's 2-0 Carling Cup quarter-final defeat by Liverpool at Stamford Bridge, a game which could yet prove to be their final appearances for the club.
    Alex, 29, joined Chelsea from PSV Eindhoven in July 2004, while 32-year-old Anelka arrived in London after completing a 15million switch from Bolton in January 2008.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 03-12-11

Martin O'Neill: New Sunderland boss

Martin O'Neill has been appointed as Sunderland manager on a three-year deal.
    The 59-year-old will take the reins at the Stadium of Light on Monday, after the Black Cats' trip to Wolves on Sunday.
    O'Neill, who returns to management 16 months after leaving Aston Villa, told the club's official website: "It's a very nice feeling to be back in football and to be the manager of Sunderland. It's a big moment for me.
    "I'd heard about what a good club it was but coming here, seeing the stadium and training ground, I've been bowled over. It's absolutely fantastic.
    "I hope I can help Sunderland to very successful period. That's what I've come for and that's my driving ambition."
    After tieing up the deal, Sunderland chairman Ellis Short described the Northern Irishman as "the perfect choice" for the role.
    He said: "Martin has as good a managerial pedigree as you could wish to find and has proven over the years to be a very astute, top-level manager.
    "During his time at Aston Villa he established the club firmly in the top 10 of the Barclays Premier League year-on-year and this is something we are striving to achieve at Sunderland.
    "Having spoken with Martin over the last two days I know he is brimming with enthusiasm and anticipation about the challenge of taking Sunderland forward and I believe he is the perfect choice to deliver the success we all desire."
    A European Cup winner as a player with Nottingham Forest, O'Neill has also managed Wycombe, Norwich, Leicester and Celtic during his career.
    He is expected to be in the stands at Molineux on Sunday with caretaker-boss Eric Black in charge of team affairs.
    Sunderland will be seeking a win to pull them clear of the danger zone. Upon O'Neill's appointment, which was made on Saturday lunchtime, the club sat in 16th place in the Premier League, just two points outside the bottom three.
    Martin O'Neill factfile
    1952: Born Kilrea in Northern Ireland, March 1.
    1971: Makes international debut as a substitute against the USSR. Joins Nottingham Forest from Distillery in October.
    1978: Member of Forest's league and League Cup double-winning side.
    1979: Wins a second League Cup winner's medal as Forest retain trophy with 3-2 victory over Southampton.
    1980: Wins European Cup as Forest beat German champions Hamburg 1-0 in Madrid.
    1981: After 285 league appearances for Forest, with 48 goals, joins Norwich in February for the first of two spells as a player at Carrow Road. After 11 league appearances and one goal transfers to Manchester City.
    1982: Returns to Norwich in January after playing just 13 league games for City. Makes 55 league appearances, scoring 11 goals.
    1983: Returns to Nottingham in August, joining Notts County, making 64 league appearances with five goals.
    1984: Wins last of 64 international caps in 2-1 win over Finland.
    1990: Appointed manager of non-league Wycombe after spells with Stamford and Shepshed Charterhouse.
    1991: Guides Wycombe to victory in the FA Trophy.
    1993: Wycombe win GM Vauxhall Conference, securing promotion to the Football League. Clinches another FA Trophy success.
    1994: Leads Wycombe to promotion from Division Three at the first attempt.
    1995: Becomes manager of Norwich in June.
    Resigns on December 17 after a series of clashes with chairman Robert Chase over money for team building. Appointed manager of Leicester on December 21.
    1996: Leicester beat Crystal Palace 2-1 at Wembley in the First Division play-off final, winning promotion back to the Premiership at first attempt.
    1997: Wins Coca-Cola Cup final, beating Middlesbrough in a replay at Hillsborough.
    Guides Leicester to ninth-place finish in Premiership.
    1998: Finishes 10th in Premiership with the Foxes but O'Neill frequently voices concern over lack of funds.
    1999: Leads Leicester to Worthington Cup final, where they are beaten by Tottenham, and to 10th place in the Premiership.
    2000: January - Rules himself out of contention for the role as Northern Ireland manager claiming it would be impossible to carry it out on a part-time basis.
    February - Leads Leicester to another Worthington Cup win as they defeat Tranmere 2-1 at Wembley.
    May - Foxes finish eighth in the Premiership, their highest placing.
    June 1 - Becomes Celtic manager.
    2001: March - Wins first trophy in Scotland with a 3-0 CIS Insurance Cup final victory over Kilmarnock.
    April - Celtic win Scottish Premier League title.
    May - Beat Hibernian 3-0 to win Scottish Cup final and complete a domestic treble.
    August - Celtic book their place in the Champions League group stages by beating Ajax 3-2 on aggregate.
    2002: April - Celtic secure the Scottish Premier League title again with a 5-1 win over Livingston.
    May - Celtic beaten in the Scottish Cup final by Rangers.
    January 22 - Signs a new 12-month rolling contract.
    March - Beaten 2-1 by Rangers in CIS Cup final at Hampden.
    May - Celtic lose 3-2 in extra time to Porto - managed by Jose Mourinho - in UEFA Cup final in Seville.
    Celtic lose SPL title to Rangers on thrilling final day.
    2004: April 18 - Regains SPL title with 1-0 win at Kilmarnock with six games to spare.
    May 22 - Earns second double in four years with 3-1 win over Dunfermline in Scottish Cup final.
    July - Delays arrival in America for pre-season trip to care for sick wife, Geraldine.
    2005: May 22 - Two late goals see Celtic lose 2-1 at Motherwell - and O'Neill's hopes of a fourth title in five years disappear as Rangers win 1-0 at Hibernian.
    May 25 - Club announce O'Neill will step down after Scottish Cup final.
    May 28 - Ends career at Celtic with 1-0 win over Dundee United in Scottish Cup final at Hampden Park.
    July 4 - Confirmed as manager of Aston Villa.
    2007: May - Villa finish 11th in Premier League.
    Following departure of Steve McClaren rules himself out of England job.
    2008: May - Villa finish sixth in Premier League.
    2009: May 2 - Villa finish sixth again, a run of nine games without a win costing them Champions League place.
    August 27 - Fails to take Villa to the group stages of the Europa League following a 2-2 aggregate draw with Rapid Vienna. Rapid progress on away goals.
    2010: February 28 - Reaches his first final with Villa - but they lose the Carling Cup 2-1 to Manchester United.
    April 10 - Villa lose 3-0 to Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final.
    May - Villa finish sixth in the Premier League for a third successive year.
    August 9 - Villa announce O'Neill has resigned as manager with immediate effect.
    2011: November 18 - Rules himself out of the Northern Ireland manager's job, but agrees to help find the new man.
    December 3 - Appointed manager of Sunderland, the team he supported as a boy, on a three-year contract.

Macheda: Ferguson has fitness concerns

Sir Alex Ferguson is preparing to send young strikers Federico Macheda and Mame Biram Diouf out on loan in January after being concerned at how their fitness levels compared to the Crystal Palace players in midweek.
    The Manchester United boss believes there is a "big problem" with the lack of real competitive football in the reserves league and that loan spells may be the answer.
    Palace beat a second-string United side in the Carling Cup quarter-finals and Ferguson said: "The problem is the type of reserve league we have now, it's really a youth league, and that is a big problem.
    "It [the defeat] bothers me in the sense that the level of training we do was let down.
    "For us it was Rafael's first game, Darron Gibson's first game, Mame Diouf's only played four games this season, Macheda only his third game.
    "That's not enough football to play in the quarter-final of a League Cup I'm afraid. That caught us and I was surprised of the level of fitness of Crystal Palace against us.
    "In terms of match play we were certainly short."
    Asked about the players going out on loan he added: "It works well for all young players to get game time and that's what we are looking at for Macheda and Diouf, they need game time, there is no question about that. Every young player wants to play and we have to give them that opportunity."
    Ferguson will return to his core first-team squad for Saturday's tea-time kick-off at Aston Villa but United will be without Dimitar Berbatov (ankle) and Brazilian twins Rafael and Fabio da Silva - who also picked up knocks against Palace.
    Danny Welbeck is still a doubt with a muscle strain while Anderson (knee), Michael Owen (thigh) and Tom Cleverley (ankle) are longer-term absentees.

Scott Brown: 'Absolutely delighted'

Celtic captain Scott Brown has signed an extended contract, taking him up to the summer of 2015.
    The former Hibs midfielder, who recently returned from injury, said he can now concentrate on bringing success to Parkhead.
    "I am absolutely delighted to sign this new contract with Celtic and commit my future to the club," he said.

The news will bring to an end to speculation over Brown's future following lengthy negotiations over the contract.
    The Scotland international, who joined Celtic in a 4.4million deal from Hibernian in 2007, had agreed terms several months ago but an impasse over a fee for his agent prompted the possibility of him leaving the club for nothing at the end of the season, with Newcastle among the clubs reportedly interested.
    But Brown declared himself relieved that the situation had been resolved, with the club having the option of a further year when his contract expires.
    The 26-year-old, who returned from the third ankle operation of his Celtic career in the 1-0 Europa League defeat by Atletico Madrid on Wednesday, told the club's official website: "I'm pleased that this is now all sorted and now I just want to get on with the job in hand.
    "I'm happy to be back from injury and I now want to just concentrate on the challenges which face us this season domestically and in Europe as we try to bring our fans some success.
    "I would like to thank our supporters for the great backing they have given the club during the course of the season already.
    "As always, they have been magnificent and I know the manager and all the players are totally focused on doing everything we can to achieve as much as we possibly can this season for our fans."
    Celtic manager Neil Lennon has consistently defended Brown from his critics and he was delighted to finalise the contract.
    Lennon said: "Scott is a crucial member of our squad and someone we felt it was very important to keep at the club.
    "He is a special player and his commitment, drive and all-round ability is something we feel is very important to us.
    "I'm pleased we've been able to finalise this and I would like to thank Scott's representatives for their assistance in bringing these negotiations to a successful conclusion."

Darren Bent: Linked with move away from Villa Park

Alex McLeish is confident Aston Villa can retain the services of striker Darren Bent as he prepares to welcome back Manchester United winger Ashley Young for tonight's home Barclays Premier League clash.
    Bent has been the subject of speculation linking him away from Villa despite only making the 18million switch from Sunderland in January.
    Young and Stewart Downing - the main creators for Bent during the second half of last season - departed Villa in the summer but McLeish is confident the former Tottenham player will remain.
    When asked if he faces a struggle to retain the services of Bent, McLeish said: "I don't think so. I've not heard anything. As far as I'm concerned, he's here for the long run.
    "We need him. He's a terrific finisher. Sometimes he only needs one chance. That's the value of someone like Darren Bent.
    "If we can create one or two sniffs (of a goal), then Darren will be in there."
    McLeish was resigned to losing Young to United shortly after he replaced Gerard Houllier in June and is not surprised at how quickly the player has made an impact with the Red Devils.
    He said: "Ashley is a great player. Reading his story was fascinating about how he was discarded as a youngster and had the determination to make himself a top pro.
    "It's a brilliant story that any youngster should read. He's been a real success story. He's a dangerous player and going to United has not affected him.
    "He's not fazed by it and he's almost taken up the gauntlet in showing the other United players how good he is."
    McLeish added: "Ashley staying here was never going to happen. I knew that from day one after I came here.
    "The club tried very hard but it's difficult when one of the top clubs in the world comes in.
    "If there was any chance, I would have tried because you don't want to lose the top players."
    Villa will be looking for their first home league win over United in 16 years and McLeish has challenged his players to have the belief to end that run.
    He said: "Someday a Villa team will beat United at home. I've got to believe it will be us and the players have to believe that too.
    "United are not unbeatable, we've seen that. They are formidable and we have to be at it, firing at 100 per cent.
    "We have to have concentration levels like never before to beat them."

Stefano Sorrentino: Staying until 2014

Stefano Sorrentino has expressed his delight at signing a contract extension with Chievo ahead of Sunday's game against Atalanta.
    The Italian goalkeeper has signed a new deal which will tie him to the Verona club until June 2014.
    "I'm really happy to have signed the new contract," Sorrentino said. "I could not be any more grateful to the club as they have granted all my wishes.
    "I hope I can repay that trust with great performances every weekend and help Chievo achieve their aim as soon as possible."
    Sorrentino and Chievo expect to make amends for under-par display in last weekend's 4-0 defeat at AC Milan.
    The men from Verona gave away four goals in the first half against Milan in what was their worst showing in the league this season.
    "We had the wrong approach to the game," Sorrentino said. "We must put that loss behind us and focus on getting three points on Sunday."
    Chievo are 11th in the standings and have lost just once at home this term but Atalanta will be hoping to pick up where they left off in last weekend's 1-1 draw against Napoli.
    The Bergamaschi thought they had secured victory only to be denied by Edinson Cavani's last-gasp equaliser.
    "We were superior to Napoli and we deserved the win," coach Stefano Colantuono said. "We played a great game only to concede a late goal."
    Atalanta, who are one point adrift of Chievo, will be hoping striker German Denis can keep up his good form in front of goal.
    Denis currently leads the Serie A scoring charts with 10 goals in 12 games.
    Sergio Pellissier will lead Chievo's attack with the Italian striker looking to score his 100th goal for the club.

Carlos Tevez: Still wanted by former club in Brazil

Corinthians have reiterated that they are still hoping to persuade Carlos Tevez to rejoin them.
    The controversial Argentina striker is currently AWOL in his homeland after falling out with his club Manchester City.
    Corinthians almost signed him in the summer, but a deal failed to materialise before the Brazilian transfer deadline.
    AC Milan and Inter Milan are now seemingly in pole position to agree a January deal for Tevez, but Corinthians remain hopeful.
    "I want to sign Tevez. We are going to hire a top-class player for 2012 and I hope it will be Tevez," club president Andres Sanchez said.
    "I don't know how much we would pay but if Tevez decides to move, I'm sure he will play for us.
    "If Tevez leaves Europe, he comes to play for Corinthians."
    Sanchez did confirm that the club would not be following up any interest they had in signing AC Milan veteran Clarence Seedorf.
    "Seedorf wants to come, but we do not want him - he will come to Brazil but not with Corinthians," he added.