Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 05-12-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 05-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 05-12-11

Nicolas Anelka: Leaving Stamford Bridge

ANELKA: I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING

Nicolas Anelka says he knows where he will be playing come January.
    Chelsea confirmed on Saturday that the striker's transfer request, along with that of defender Alex, had been accepted.
    Anelka will now leave in next month's transfer window, although he has yet to reveal his destination.
    In a statement on his official website, Anelka said: "I've known for a little while where I'll be on January 2.
    "The club, which is going through a difficult time, has decided to work with Chelsea's players of the future and, as I am a good professional, I have accepted this."
    Anelka's opportunites have been limited this season due to the emergence of Daniel Sturridge and a new contract was not forthcoming.
    The French international joined Chelsea for 15million in January 2008.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 05-12-11

O'Neill: Excited by his new job

O'NEILL READY FOR SUNDERLAND TASK

Martin O'Neill has pledged to do his "utmost to bring a bit of success to Sunderland".
    O'Neill signed a three-year deal to succeed Steve Bruce at the Stadium of Light and was in the stands this afternoon as the Black Cats went down 2-1 to Wolves at Molineux.
    The former Leicester, Celtic and Aston Villa manager is excited to be back in the game after a year-long absence but refused to make any outlandish promises.
    "It's a nice feeling to be back in football and obviously I'm very excited about joining Sunderland," he told SAFC TV.
    "It's a big moment and I'm hoping it works out well.
    "Naturally I want to do well for the fans, the team and myself. If we can combine all this and start winning football matches it would be terrific.
    "All I can say, without promising the earth, moon and stars is I will do my utmost to bring a bit of success to Sunderland."
    O'Neill grew up a Sunderland fan in Northern Ireland due to his admiration for Cork-born great Charlie Hurley.
    "You were either Celtic or Rangers in terms of a religious divide, but most of the boys took an English team too," he said.
    "Much to the laughing of one or two who took Manchester United and teams like that, I took Sunderland, with Charlie Hurley (being there).
    "I never regretted it. I had a number of fights in the quad with other schoolboys about my choice, but outside that, not a problem."
    O'Neill takes over on Monday and will be in the dugout for Sunday's Barclays Premier League clash with fellow strugglers Blackburn.
    "Every single game is important - the Barclays Premier League has become the Holy Grail of football," he said.
    "You want to get yourself established. We had a great season last season, finishing 10th, and a wee bit of a disappointing start this time, but we hope that with a little bit of luck we can turn things around.
    "I would like it to be a really successful period and I'm going to try my best to achieve that. That's what I've come for - that's what I want to do."

Uploads

Dickson Etuhu: Happy at Fulham

ETUHU LOVING LIFE AT FULHAM

Dickson Etuhu is once again enjoying life at Fulham after enduring a "very difficult time" at the club he loves.
    The 29-year-old has been a regular for the Cottagers since joining from Sunderland three years ago, playing a key role in their run to the 2010 Europa League final.
    But Etuhu has been used more as a squad player by manager Martin Jol this season and his frustrations saw him recently admit a January move could be on the cards.
    Etuhu is happier after a recent run of starts and is enjoying his football again.
    "I've always been happy at the club," he said.
    "Fulham is a great club and I'm not saying [I am unhappy here].
    "The chairman gave me a very good contract and I could easily keep my mouth shut and collect my money, but that's not me.
    "I like to play, I enjoy playing with my team-mates. If I'm not, and I'm on the bench, I'll obviously have to look elsewhere.
    "But the club has always been good to me, the staff have been great to me and the players have bonded. We've been together so long and we've achieved so much together at this club.
    "It's a lovely place, it's my home. I love this club."
    Etuhu has been one of the west Londoners' most impressive performers in recent matches and admits he is reaping the rewards of an extended run in the team.
    "Obviously my confidence is up at the moment," he said.
    "It is nice to get a little run. Obviously Siddy [Steve Sidwell] is injured at the moment and I am sure he will be back next week sometime, but it is nice to be playing and to be part of it again.
    "I've been at Fulham a long time, I've played a lot of games and it has been a very difficult time for me, but I'm enjoying it now.
    "People expect you to play at your best after two or three months, but that is not the way.
    "It does not work like that, it takes a few games. Luckily I've had the chance to see some action and it is helping me."
    The Nigeria international will be hoping for another start in tomorrow's Barclays Premier League match against in-form Liverpool at Craven Cottage.
    Fulham head into the match on the back of a last-gasp 1-0 defeat to FC Twente in the Europa League, although Etuhu is confident the disappointment of that result will not have an impact.
    "Monday is Liverpool at home," he said. "They are a great team but we've got nothing to lose, have we?
    "When you play the top teams you just go out and play. They are expected to win so the pressure is on them, not us.
    "We will just go out and play as well as we can at home, where we always do well so it will be an exciting night.
    "Thursday wasn't a great day and it was very disappointing to lose the goal at the last minute.
    "But we will still qualify if we beat Odense at home, so it won't make a difference."

Uploads

Lukas Podolski: Linked with move

LUKAS PODOLSKI CONSIDERS HIS OPTIONS

Cologne striker Lukas Podolski has admitted that offers are arriving for him, although he first wants to hear what his hometown club can offer him before considering his future.
    The Germany international scored both goals as Cologne salvaged a 2-2 draw at Stuttgart yesterday and, afterwards, the coveted forward said that his options for the future are still open.
    "I will talk to Cologne before anybody else and see what they have to say," he told ZDF television.
    "Of course I am getting plenty of offers and I expect more of them to arrive to me, to my agent or to my club in the coming weeks.
    "But I repeat, I must first talk to Cologne."
    Podolski still has 18 months left to run on his contract with Cologne, but after a turbulent few months, he has frequently hinted that he would like to move to a bigger club at the prime of his career.
    That could become reality next season, although he is just taking things as they come.
    "I have become more relaxed about things in general," he said.
    "There is no rush.
    "I will just sit down and discuss things with Cologne and then we will have to see."

Uploads

Mark Stimson: Kettering boss

STIMSON WANTS KETTERING HELP

Mark Stimson is hoping someone can help Kettering stay in existence.
    The Poppies sit 20th in the Blue Square Bet Premier after Saturday's heavy 7-0 defeat at York and they are currently under a transfer embargo after failing to pay their player' wages in full.
    Stimson was only able to select 13 players in his matchday squad for the clash at Bootham Crescent but he still hopes there can be a future for the Northamptonshire club.
    "Long-term I hope someone's out there that can help the club," he told Sportinglife.com.
    "I've only been here a short time and it seems a good club. The support has been amazing through this really difficult period.
    "A lot of clubs are going through this at the moment but it's just at the present time we've got it really bad and it's affecting us.
    "I just hope someone comes in and takes the club forward because it's a club that should be in the Conference."
    Stimson has spoken of the troubles he is facing as he looks to keep Kettering, who are without a win in seven league games, competing in the top-tier of non-league football.
    "It's tough because we're not seeing much of each other as a result of the financial situation," he added.
    "There's not a lot of training being done at the moment and even in Friday's training session we only had eight players there.
    "Add to that two players are not contracted to us so there's only six who started today that actually trained yesterday.
    "When you play at this level of football against ex-league sides like York you're going to come unstuck and today we certainly did."
    Stimson also fears more players could leave before Tuesday night's game at home to Darlington.
    "I hope I've got these players until January because there are only 13 of them today.
    "I expect to probably lose one of two over the weekend because out there today were four non-contract players that have the right to leave at any time because they are not getting paid.
    "They can probably drop down to Conference South or Conference North until January and then probably jump back in the Conference in January."

Uploads

Wes Brown: Hoping players will be lifted

WES BROWN EYES O'NEILL LIFT

Sunderland defender Wes Brown is hoping new manager Martin O'Neill can boost the Black Cats' confidence.
    O'Neill officially took charge of Sunderland on Monday just a day after watching his new club slip to 17th in the table after losing 2-1 to Wolves.
    Kieran Richardson had given Sunderland the lead but after Sebastian Larsson had missed a penalty, Wolves went up the other end to equalise through Steven Fletcher, who then scored a late winner.
    Brown told Sunderland's official website: "He (O'Neill) has inherited a great team with good quality, we just need to start gelling and winning games.
    "When we missed the penalty you could see heads going down and that's what we don't need, we needed to stay focused. We were winning the game 1-0, very comfortably I thought.
    "But we missed the penalty and within a minute they scored. Suddenly they were attacking us and we got our heads down. We were maybe feeling sorry for ourselves and the rest is history."
    Former Aston Villa manager O'Neill met his players for the first time on Saturday but caretaker-manager Eric Black took control at Molineux.
    "He (O'Neill) didn't say much to us on Saturday, he just introduced himself, said hello to everyone," said Brown. "He was at the game but he left most of it to Blackie."

Uploads

David Beckham: What now?

BECKHAM STILL UNDECIDED ON FUTURE

David Beckham insists he has not yet planned the next stage of his career as he prepares for what could be his last game for the Los Angeles Galaxy against Melbourne Victory on Tuesday.
    The former England captain is uncommitted about where he will play next season, with his Galaxy contract set to expire at the end of the year.
    Beckham, 36, has been tipped to join Ligue 1 giants Paris St Germain after his five-year stint in the United States comes to an end.
    The midfielder said he was yet to begin considering his future, although he admitted he could come to a decision before Christmas.
    "I said I'd get this season and this tour out of the way and then have some family time and obviously make a big decision," Beckham said before training with the Galaxy at Melbourne's Visy Park.
    "I've not even started thinking about it yet. I wanted to end this season with a championship and we did that, and then I wanted to have some time on this tour - we've been able to celebrate it.
    "It's been nice coming on this tour knowing we're champions of the MLS.
    "I haven't really started thinking about my playing future yet. Once I get some down time, then I'll obviously think what is going to be best.
    "I'm going to spend some time with the family and have a good Christmas. I might make (my decision) before it, I might be able to make it after it, but we'll see."
    The former Manchester United and Real Madrid star will feature for the Galaxy in the final match of what has been a successful Asia Pacific Tour when they meet Victory at Etihad Stadium.

Uploads

Chelsea: Dream team for Lazar Markovic

CHELSEA DREAM FOR MARKOVIC

Lazar Markovic has revealed that he would love to join Chelsea after being linked with a move to the Premier League.
    Partizan Belgrade striker Markovic is regarded, at the age of 17, as one of the most exciting young prospects in Europe.
    A number of clubs from across the continent are reportedly monitoring the progress of a player who is valued at around 10million by his current employers.
    Liverpool are thought to be interested and Markovic would love to come to England, but he only has eyes for Stamford Bridge.
    The Serbian has supported the Blues since he was a child and hopes to one day have the opportunity to test himself in the Premier League.
    "I really hope I can go to Chelsea, it's my dream," Markovic told The Sun.
    "I'm told there were 20 scouts from all over Europe in the VIP box when we beat Red Star.
    "But Chelsea is the place I want to play. I had all the pictures of the team on my wall at home back to when they had Gianfranco Zola.
    "And any time they are on TV I try to watch them. For me Chelsea are the best.
    "I want to go to the Premier League. It is the best league in the world."

Uploads

Neil Warnock: Not desperate for new striker

WARNOCK WARY OF JANUARY WINDOW

Queens Park Rangers manager Neil Warnock has hinted he will not sign a striker in the January transfer window as he needs to strengthen elsewhere.
    The newly-promoted side have not been short of Premier League goals this season with Icelandic hitman Heidar Helguson in excellent form.
    The former Watford man is QPR's leading scorer, taking his top-flight tally to six having found the back of the net in Saturday's 1-1 draw with West Brom.
    The Loftus Road club have been linked with a striker swoop come the New Year, but Warnock believes Helguson is performing like a 5million player.
    "I was speaking to the chairman (Tony Fernandes) in Malaysia, and I've told him what my thoughts are," said Warnock. "You give me 5m to buy a striker, and I don't think I could get much better than Helguson.
    "So I think you've got to be careful - sometimes January is not the right time. I need players in (other) areas that I'll try to get.
    "But it's made to measure for Heidar in the Premier League. He can rest Mondays and Tuesdays, and build up to a game on Saturday.
    "If we're in the Championship, then it's three games a week and it's hard work. I see him playing 15-20 games a season, and it's easier at the level we're at than the Championship where it's Wacky Races - if you can remember that programme."
    Meanwhile, Warnock is looking for midfielder Alejandro Faurlin to move on after his mistake allowed the Baggies to earn a share of the spoils over the weekend.
    Warnock confronted Faurlin at the final whistle and appeared to blame him for not stopping West Brom's breakaway equaliser, however, he still thinks the Argentine is a 'brilliant' player.
    "I think he's a brilliant player and couldn't fault him," he continued. "I was disappointed with the [West Brom] goal, but he and Joey Barton ran the show.
    "We all make mistakes and I think you've got to learn from them and move on."

Uploads

Rafael Benitez: Next in line at PSG?

BENITEZ LINED UP FOR PSG: AL-JAZEERA

Former Liverpool and Inter Milan manager Rafael Benitez has been lined up as a replacement for Paris St Germain coach Antoine Kombouare, according to Al-Jazeera.
    The Qatari news channel claimed the Ligue 1 side have sacked Kombouare and have approached Benitez, who is available after being dismissed from Serie A club Inter last December.
    Benitez enjoyed success at Barclays Premier League club Liverpool between 2004 and 2010, winning a Champions League in 2005 and an FA Cup in 2006.
    PSG are currently second in the French top flight after they ended their three-game winless run with a 3-2 win over Auxerre yesterday.
    Qatar Investment Authority took control of the Parisian club in May and have invested heavily, bringing in big-name signings such as Javier Pastore and Jeremy Menez.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast