Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 06-12-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 06-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 06-12-11

Robert Huth: Keen to stay at Stoke

HUTH EYES NEW STOKE DEAL

Robert Huth has confirmed he would be keen to sign a contract extension and commit his long-term future to Stoke.
    The German centre-back made the move to the Britannia Stadium from Middlesbrough in 2009 and has emerged as one of the club's key players.
    He has a deal with the Potters for two more years but manager Tony Pulis indicated last month that fresh terms could soon be sorted out.
    Negotiations are believed to be ongoing and Huth, who has been linked with a switch to the Bundesliga, would be happy to stay.
    Questioned on whether he wanted to remain long-term, Huth said in The Sentinel: "If things work out for both sides, then of course. I'm loving it."
    Huth has faced competition for a place in the Stoke defence this season and has been asked to play in other positions, but he is happiest in the centre and was delighted to score the winner in Sunday's victory at Everton.
    "I have been all over the place this season, so I'm glad to be back in the middle. I am more comfortable there," he said.
    "I got dropped a few games ago, so I am just finding my feet again."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 06-12-11

Carlos Tevez: Keen to stay in Europe

TEVEZ FAVOURS EUROPE - JOORABCHIAN

Carlos Tevez's advisor insists his client's priority is to play in Europe next year.
    The Manchester City forward has been linked with a return to former club Corinthians in Brazil, but Kia Joorabchian believes Europe is a more likely destination.
    "A return to Brazil? It's a possibility, but for the time being he wants to play in Europe," Joorabchian told www.milannews.it.
    Tevez looks set to leave City in January after his latest fallout with the Premier League club.
    The former West Ham and Manchester United forward returned to Argentina last month without City's permission and is yet to report back to training.
    "He (Tevez) is training intensely," Joorabchian added. "In January he wants to return to have a starring role and play in a great club."
    The 27-year-old has been strongly linked with a move to AC Milan.
    The Serie A champions are interested in signing Tevez on loan in January with their Italian striker Antonio Cassano ruled out indefinitely after undergoing a heart procedure.
    Milan revealed on Monday they had been granted permission by City to speak to Joorabchian.
    However, they are not the only club keen to land Tevez, with Inter Milan and Juventus reportedly interested.
    "Milan is a great club but there are other Italian clubs that have also requested information," Joorabchian said.
    City boss Roberto Mancini, meanwhile, feels Tevez has been badly advised.
    "He's a good lad, in spite of his recent behaviour," he told French daily L'Equipe.
    "But maybe he does not have the people around him to give him the right advice.
    "Tevez behaved stupidly in the way a player shouldn't, especially a great player."
    Mancini admits he still finds it hard to comprehend what happened on that now infamous night in the Allianz Arena.
    "That's the first time I've seen that in such an important match when there was 40 minutes left to play," Mancini said.
    "It's happened before that players have refused to come on, but only when there was only a few minutes left to play.
    "You can always get things wrong, but you only realise it afterward. (But) In Tevez's case, I did nothing for him to behave in this way."
    Mancini insists that Tevez turned down the chance to make peace with him and the club.
    "Ten days after what happened in Munich, I invited him to come to my place to talk. I told him that, if he apologised to me, to the club, to the team, he could come back into the squad," he continued.
    "I would have forgiven him. But he replied that he didn't have to apologise to anyone."

Uploads

Kolo Toure: Not happy at being out of side

KOLO TOURE IRKED BY TREATMENT

Former Manchester City skipper Kolo Toure has claimed he is being left out of the side for 'non-footballing' reasons.
    Since returning from his sixth-month ban for a failed drugs test, Toure has found it difficult to re-establish himself in Roberto Mancini's starting line-up.
    He has been limited to just four first-team outings and is now widely considered as the fourth-choice central defender behind Vincent Kompany, Joleon Lescott and Stefan Savic.
    "I know my qualities and I have got nothing to prove here in England," he is quoted as saying by French publication So Foot.
    "They know me here. When you look at the performance of Savic against QPR, excuse me but I am relaxed."
    Toure feels he is being punished ahead of his likely involvement in the African Cup of Nations for Ivory Coast early next year.
    "To compete in the Africa Cup of Nations is catastrophic for a player these days. Coaches no longer want to sign players because of it. I feel it's going to be more difficult for the Africans in football in the future," he said.
    "I'm convinced that, if I'm not playing for City, then it's not only for football reasons. If it was only about that then I would be playing every week. I'm a victim of that and it has to be said.
    "When I was in Angola for the Africa Cup of Nations in 2010 the club hired a plane so that I could get back quickly to play in a game against Manchester United.
    "I could not get back in time and we lost. I believe the club have not got past that and I'm paying for it now.
    "Clubs at this level always have big squads. It goes one way and then the other. I was captain here and so was Carlos Tevez. He is no longer here and who would have thought that would have happened?
    "African players are the victim of discrimination."

Uploads

Charles N'Zogbia: 'No problem'

N'ZOGBIA: NO ISSUE WITH McLEISH

Charles N'Zogbia insists there is no problem between him and Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish after he was left out of the weekend's defeat by Manchester United.
    The French winger was not included in the 18-man squad for Saturday's 1-0 home loss as punishment for missing a treatment session last week.
    The summer signing from Wigan was also fined for the incident, but was back in training with the rest of the Villa squad on Monday.
    McLeish has confirmed there is no grudge with N'Zogbia and is determined to help the wideman recapture his best form this season.
    N'Zogbia is also keen to move on from the matter and is now focused on reclaiming his place for Villa's trip to Bolton this weekend.
    "My mind is focused on preparing for the game on Saturday at Bolton and I will train hard, as normal," N'Zogbia told the club's official website.
    "I have spoken to the manager, he has dealt with it and we have no problem.
    "We are in this together, so we just move on. I will work hard to get back in the team.
    "I want to show the fans of Aston Villa what I can do for them and for the team and that will be my objective on Saturday."

Uploads

David Moyes: Wants to sign a striker

MOYES UNSURE OVER FUNDS

David Moyes admits Everton need a new striker, but says he is not sure whether he will be given the funds to buy one in January.
    The Toffees have been unable to find a reliable goalscorer with Louis Saha having netted twice, while Moyes' only other regular striking option during the campaign so far has been 19-year-old Greek Apostolos Vellios.
    A 1-0 defeat by Stoke at Goodison Park on Sunday only served to highlight the need for a new frontman and Moyes says he is keen to invest during the transfer window, if the money is made available to him.
    "We have been saying for a while now we need a striker, and that is obvious from our performances - but they are the ones who cost the money," the Everton manager told the Daily Mirror.
    "I don't know yet if there will be any money, so we will need to wait and see what we can look to do in January.
    "The thing is, the type of player that will improve this team now costs money, real money, and January isn't always the best time to try to purchase a player.
    "But we need a striker badly. We needed one badly last season if we are honest, and maybe even the season before."

Uploads

Frimpong: Thought his chance had gone

GUNNER THOUGHT HE WAS A GONER

Emmanuel Frimpong admits there was a time he thought his chance with Arsenal was gone and is determined to make the most of Tuesday night's final Champions League Group F clash against Olympiacos in Athens.
    As qualification for the Champions League knockout stages had already been secured with one match to spare, Gunners boss Arsene Wenger elected to bring a mixed squad out to Greece, so the likes of captain Robin van Persie, Aaron Ramsey, Theo Walcott and Alex Song all remained in London as a youthful 18-man squad jetted out from Luton.
    Midfielder Frimpong, 19, has battled his way back to fitness following a serious knee injury which came after an impressive display alongside England starlet Jack Wilshere in the 2010 pre-season Emirates Cup tournament.
    Frimpong admits there were times during his rehabilitation when doubts crept in over whether he would have a future with the Gunners.
    "I knew I would come back to playing football, but felt I was never going to get my chance at Arsenal again," said Ghana-born Frimpong, who came to England when he was eight and was brought up near Tottenham.
    "When I had my chance, everything was going well. I thought that when I came back, we would have all the other players fit again.
    "But in football you cannot predict anything, and I have just carried on from where I left off, and have that chance again.
    "Now I have to keep playing well to force the issue of playing in the team."
    Wenger has no doubts Frimpong has the strength of character to come through Tuesday night's encounter in a white-hot atmosphere at the Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium.
    "He is a guy you know you can go to war with, he has a real 'winner' attitude," the Arsenal manager said. "Now he has to take the final step and get a regular place in the Arsenal team."
    Wenger added: "He was massively impressive before he got injured, because he had been outstanding in pre-season.
    "He struggled to come back and feels he is not completely back to his best, but I think he is - what 'Manu' needs now are competitive games."
    Wenger adopted a similar squad selection for their last trip to Olympiacos two seasons ago, losing 1-0 when they had already qualified, but not won the group, as has been achieved this season.
    Despite only two of the starting XI from the weekend's Premier League 4-0 win in Tuesday night's squad, Wenger insists Arsenal have not travelled to Greece just to make up the numbers.
    "It is not who we left at home, it is who will play who is important. Before you make an early judgement, let's wait to see how our team will do," the Arsenal manager said. "We have a very strong team, many of the team have played in the first game against Olympiacos, so give the players who turn up some credit they will produce a good performance."
    Wenger added: "I would be very, very disappointed if our winning attitude was not completely right and I will make sure we walk out there with immense desire to try to win the game."

Uploads

Tim Ream: Spending time at West Brom

HODGSON HAPPY TO LOOK AT REAM

West Brom boss Roy Hodgson is keeping an open mind about the prospect of signing Tim Ream after the USA international started a trial at the club.
    Ream, who currently plays for Major League Soccer club New York Red Bulls, is spending a few days training with the Baggies before moving on to Bolton next week.
    Hodgson is happy to give the defender a chance to experience being with a Premier League club, but is unsure if it will lead to anything more permanent.
    "Andy Marriott (Albion's assistant sporting and technical director) was over in the US recently chatting to the MLS and the New York Red Bulls because Tim Ream is one of their interesting young players," said Hodgson in the Birmingham Mail.
    "They agreed it would be nice to spend a week with a Premier League club and we were happy to oblige.
    "I don't know if it will lead to anything more. He's only played a few times for the US national team and I don't know his club are desperate to sell him.
    "We already have a very good young 20-year old centre-half in Craig Dawson who we believe in very strongly.
    "It'll be nice to have him here but who knows? It's not easy to buy players from the US these days unless they've played (regular) international games."

Uploads

Rafa Benitez: No talks with PSG

BENITEZ AGENT DENIES PSG TALKS

Rafa Benitez's agent has denied holding talks with French giants Paris Saint Germain.
    Reports suggest PSG's current boss Antoine Kombouare is set to be fired after making a less than spectacular start to the new season.
    And with their Qatari owners ready to splash the cash, as they proved in the summer, it is little shock they are now lining up a big-name manager.
    Director of sport Leonardo is the man tasked with finding him and Benitez's name had emerged as one of the most likely appointments.
    But his agent insists they have not talked with anyone from the Parc des Princes.
    "Rafael Benitez is in Liverpool tonight having dinner with his family," his agent Manolo Garcia Quilon said when asked about stories suggesting Benitez was meeting PSG on Monday.
    "Rafa insists there is nothing with PSG. He never talked to the club and he has no Paris trip in his agenda in the coming days."

Uploads

Robert Koren: Out of contract in the summer

HULL KEEN TO KEEP KOREN

Hull caretaker-manager Nick Barmby has admitted he is hoping influential midfielder Robert Koren will stay into next season.
    The 31-year-old Slovenia captain is out of contract at the end of the season - and Barmby is desperate to secure a new contract with one of his star performers.
    The former England star told the Hull Daily Mail: "Whether it's as a manager or a player, you want Robbie Koren to stay. We'll definitely be sitting down and hopefully addressing that.
    "Robbie has been fantastic since he's been here, he's a great fellow and a great professional. More importantly, he's a match-winner.
    "Technically, he's a very clever footballer who causes teams problems when he drifts into space. It's no coincidence that since he's drifted in centrally we've seen the real Robbie Koren."
    Koren, who netted the previous week in the defeat at Southampton, scored the winner in Saturday's 2-1 victory over Leicester.

Uploads

Serse Cosmi: Confident

COSMI CONFIDENT LECCE WILL SURVIVE

New Lecce coach Serse Cosmi is confident he can guide the club away from the Serie A drop zone.
    Cosmi, 53, has replaced Eusebio Di Francesco, who was sacked on Monday after a string of poor results.
    The former Palermo coach, who has signed a contract until the end of the season, said: "I accepted Lecce's offer because I believe that it's possible for the team to avoid the drop.
    "I always wanted to coach this team and I'm finally here. I hope that together we can achieve something positive."
    Last weekend's 4-2 defeat at Napoli left Lecce at the foot of the standings.
    The Salentini have mustered just one win in their last 11 league games and lie six points off safety.
    Cosmi, who has also coached at Brescia and Livorno, added: "I will try to give the team a spark.
    "I haven't seen in this team the usual desperation that is common with teams that are fighting to avoid the drop.
    "I believe this team has quality players that can help the team avoid relegation.
    "I can guarantee the fans that I will give everything to do well here in Lecce."
    Cosmi's first game in charge will be against Lazio on Saturday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast