Sam Barnett becomes MBC CEO

Rebecca Hawkes ©RapidTVNews | 06-12-2011

Sam Barnett has been promoted to the post of chief executive officer of pan-Arab broadcaster MBC with immediate effect. Barnett was previously chief operating officer of the Dubai-based media and entertainment group.

"Sam's contributions over the years have been instrumental in the Group's growth and success, as he was able to instill fundamental changes through his dedication and entrepreneurship," said Ali Al Hedeithy, vice chairman, MBC Group.
The role of chief executive officer was previously held by MBC Group chairman, Sheikh Waleed Bin Ibrahim Al Ibrahim.
Barnett joined MBC in 2002, and since then has been party to the outsourcing of advertising sales; the launch of several new channels; the transition to high definition and tapeless broadcasting; and the enforcement of commercial and financial disciplines across all operations.
Sam Barnett said: "I would like to take this opportunity to thank MBC Group's chairman, vice chairman, and board members for entrusting me with this added responsibility and challenge. I will continue to deliver on performance and implement best international practices, as we celebrate the end of a fruitful year, and aspire for many great ones to come".
MBC now claims to reach 100 million viewers daily across the Middle East and North Africa, through its ten free to air satellite TV channels and accompanying online platforms. It has recently launched a bouquet of seven high definition channels through a partnership with Abu Dhabi satellite initiative YahLive.