Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 11-12-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 11-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 11-12-11

Cech: Chelsea goalkeeper

PETR CECH EXTENSION ON THE CARDS

Andre Villas-Boas has confirmed Chelsea have opened informal talks with Petr Cech over extending the goalkeeper's contract.
    Cech's current deal expires at the end of next season but the club are determined to ensure the 29-year-old completes at least a decade at Stamford Bridge.
    Villas-Boas said: "There are false stories about Petr Cech leaving the club.
    "We are trying to reach an agreement with Petr.
    "He knows that we are trying to reach an agreement with him and that we are interested in renewing his contract."
    Villas-Boas has previously dismissed doubts about Cech's long-term fitness and he insisted yesterday the Czech Republic star could play well into his forties.
    "The goalkeeper position is very, very specific," Villas-Boas said, citing Edwin van der Sar and David Seaman as examples of keepers who have shone at the highest level during their fifth decade.
    Question marks over Cech's fitness were actually raised by new team-mate Thibaut Courtois, who joined Chelsea from Genk this summer before being loaned out for the season to Atletico Madrid.
    Cech, who has been the Blues' undisputed number one since signing from Rennes in 2004, is expected to face a stiff challenge from the 19-year-old in the coming years.
    Villas-Boas said: "Regarding Courtois, we have to make a decision.
    "We won't recall him in January, for sure.
    "At the end of the season, we have to decide."
    Chelsea are also trying to reach an agreement with striker Didier Drogba over a new contract to replace the one that expires next summer.
    The parties are reportedly at odds over the length of the deal, with Drogba wanting another two years and the club only prepared to offer one.
    Villas-Boas yesterday admitted Drogba was playing well enough to be a major asset at the highest level for another couple of years and went on to acknowledge the Ivorian could add value to any new contract by aiding the development of 18-year-old protege Romelu Lukaku.
    "Everybody gets inspired by the top examples and Didier represents exactly that, also in his human values," Villas-Boas said.
    Chelsea have also been linked with signing a host of players during the January tranfer window, chiefly Bolton defender Gary Cahill.
    Villas-Boas said: "He's a fantastic player because he plays for the English national team, a central defender of high qualities.
    "He had a fantastic year last season for club and country.
    "But he is not a player that we are considering."
    Villas-Boas also ruled out resurrecting moves for Tottenham playmaker Luka Modric and Porto wing-back Alvaro Pereira, with Chelsea seeing bids for both snubbed this summer.
    He said of Modric: "We have (Michael) Essien returning and I think we have left that one out for sure."
    He added of Pereira: "I don't think so based on prices and because we are not looking. We are pretty satisfied with what we've got."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 11-12-11

Lukas Podolski: Linked with Schalke

PODOLSKI: NO DECISION ON FUTURE

Cologne striker Lukas Podolski insists he has not yet made up his mind about where he will be playing next season, although he does not feel in any rush to do so.
    The Germany international still has 18 months left to run on his current deal and he will sit down and discuss a contract extension during the winter break.
    However, even if he cannot reach an agreement with Cologne, that does not necessarily mean he will be leaving next summer, even if the club's director of sport Volker Finke suggested he would be sold if he does not commit.
    "I am just enjoying my football and I want to be successful and score goals, and if in the end everything is right, then we are all happy, even Hennes the goat (the club's mascot)," he told Sky television.
    "I still have one and a half years on my contract and if I decide in one and a half years, then so be it.
    "I have not made up my mind yet. One and a half years are a long time for a lot of thoughts."
    Podolski, who was on target twice in Saturday's 4-0 win over Freiburg, does not think much of Finke's threat either.
    "In that case, I would just have to play for the reserves or sit in the stands," he said.
    Having a player of Podolski's qualities sitting in the stands each week is not a prospect Cologne coach Stale Solbakken will consider, but he joked that the current alternative of Schalke, who have made their interest in the player official, is no better.
    "If Lukas is to leave us, then he can certainly go to a better club than Schalke," he said.
    "Lukas is mentally very strong and he knows that the speculation will continue. I am looking forward to seeing which club tries to buy Poldi next week - maybe Barcelona."
    Podolski has scored 13 goals so far this season, half of his club's total in the Bundesliga.

Uploads

Gary Cahill: Not on Chelsea's January shopping list

AVB RULES OUT CAHILL OR MODRIC BIDS

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas claims to have no plans to make a January move for Gary Cahill, or return for summer target Luka Modric.
    Cahill was the subject of almost daily rumours during the previous window, with the Bolton man linked with a number of clubs.
    Arsenal were reported to be leading the chase, but it has been reported that Chelsea could be tempted to make a move for the England international.
    Villas-Boas considers Cahill a top centre-half, but the Portuguese is adamant he will not be testing Bolton's resolve in January.
    He said: "He's a fantastic player because he plays for the English national team, a central defender of high qualities.
    "He had a fantastic year last season for club and country.
    "But he is not a player that we are considering."
    Chelsea spent much of the summer trying to lure Croatian playmaker Modric away from capital rivals Tottenham, but Villas-Boas insists they will not be drawn into another lengthy transfer saga in the New Year.
    "We have (Michael) Essien returning and I think we have left that one for sure," he said.
    Another name to have been strongly linked with Chelsea is Porto wing-back Alvaro Pereira, with Chelsea having seen a bid knocked back during pre-season.
    Villas-Boas knows all about the Uruguay international from his time in charge of Porto, but again claims to have curbed his interest.
    He said: "I don't think so based on prices and because we are not looking. We are pretty satisfied with what we've got."

Uploads

Nicolas Anelka: Heading for Shanghai, say club

CHINESE CLUB CLAIM ANELKA DEAL

Chinese Super League club Shanghai Shenhua claim they have agreed terms with Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka.
    It was reported earlier in the week that the French forward was mulling over a move to Asian football, with skysports.com revealing that a deal had been put in place.
    Having handed in a transfer request at Stamford Bridge, the 32-year-old is preparing to take on a new challenge.
    Anelka is currently training away from the first team squad at Chelsea, with it clear that he will be on the move in January - last week he revealed he knew where he would be playing after the transfer window, admitting it would not be Chelsea.
    Shanghai Shenhua say he will be linking up with them, with a contract waiting to be signed.
    "We have agreed on all the contract details and we are only waiting for him to sign it," said club official Ma Yue.
    The Chinese outfit have ambitions plans for the future and are keen to raise their profile across the world.
    It has been suggested that they could also make a move for Anelka's Chelsea team-mate Didier Drogba.
    The Ivorian will see his contract with the Blues expire next summer, and he is yet to agree fresh terms.
    Ma admits Shanghai Shenhua would be keen to land Drogba, with contact having been made, but he has made it clear that no deal is close.
    "So far, on Drogba to move to Shenhua, our club has no clear confirmation," he added.

Uploads

Amauri: Looking for a move

SPURS IN AMAURI CHASE - AGENT

Wantaway Juventus striker Amauri's agent claims Spurs are keen on bringing him to England.
    The Brazilian-born forward is looking for a January switch after falling out of favour in Turin.
    A switch to the Premier League has been widely touted, with Amauri's representative revealing in November that he expected a deal to be done with an English club.
    And Ernesto Bronzetti has now confirmed Tottenham are among those looking to sign Amauri.
    The agent has backtracked slightly, though, and is now refusing to rule out the possibility of the 31-year-old staying in Italy.
    "Tottenham are interested in Amauri, as are three Italian clubs," said Bronzetti.
    "We will weigh up whether he prefers to continue playing in Italy, or go to England."

Uploads

Nikica Jelavic: Netted both goals at Hibernian

McCULLOCH WANTS JELAVIC TO STAY

Every Rangers player is hoping star striker Nikica Jelavic will not be sold during next month's transfer window, according to team-mate Lee McCulloch.
    The Croatian netted a double to secure maximum points in Saturday's 2-0 win over Hibernian in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.
    Jelavic was this week linked with a move to Liverpool and was previously the subject of a failed 6.5million bid from Leicester in August.
    Rangers sanctioned the sale of top goalscorer Kenny Miller last January, and McCulloch does not want to see history repeat itself.
    He said: "We've just got to pray that Jelavic stays and that he wants to stay and he keeps on playing the way he's playing.
    "He loves it here. He's playing well for us and scoring goals. That's all the guys are worried about.
    "He wants to be here and he's playing well - that's all we can ask for."
    Jelavic converted from the penalty spot in the second half, before a header soon after his opener secured the points against Hibs.
    McCulloch added: "You can see for yourselves the way he plays and the goals he gets.
    "You sometimes feel a bit sorry for him if he's up front on his own.
    "The two big centre-halves were all over him so we are just delighted he was back on the scoresheet.
    "It was important that we got the three points.
    "In the first half, I thought we passed the ball about well but we didn't really create enough for big Jelavic.
    "We changed the system a little bit in the second half and we started creating a few chances.
    "Jelavic got two goals and I thought he was brilliant."
    Jelavic's fellow striker Steven Naismith was ruled out for the remainder of the season after suffering cruciate ligament damage at the end of October.
    The Scottish champions were also without Sone Aluko and Kyle Lafferty - through suspension and injury respectively - for the trip to Edinburgh.
    Midfielder McCulloch said: "It's difficult but you just need to get on with it and get through it.
    "I actually thought we played really well and it's all about next week now."
    Aluko was banned for diving after winning a penalty in last week's 2-1 win over Dunfermline, and Micheal Hart believes Rangers were also fortunate to earn a spot-kick this week after he was ruled to have fouled Lee Wallace.
    He said: "I know it will look like a penalty because I certainly had hold of his arms but I don't know if it would have been given at the other side.
    "It's a soft penalty for me. I think he made the most of it. I wasn't particularly pulling him back or holding him too much."
    The defeat to Rangers was new boss Pat Fenlon's first full 90 minutes in charge after last week's game at Motherwell was abandoned at half-time.
    Hart added: "He's been very good, very positive. We've just been back to basics and working hard.
    "If you work hard he will look after you and I think that's shown in our last two performances.
    "He's getting the best out of the players we've got."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Wanted by Paris Saint Germain

PSG CONFIRM TEVEZ INTEREST
    Paris Saint Germain sporting director Leonardo has confirmed the club are in the market for Carlos Tevez.
    However, the Argentine's agents have told him that he favours a move to AC Milan.
    PSG are keen to land the want-away striker, who is also attracting interest from Inter Milan and Juventus - but AC, who agreed terms with Tevez earlier this week, are the player's preferred option.
    However, AC are currently only considering a loan bid and have rejected suggestions they could be willing to offer the likes of Robinho or Alexandre Pato in exchange.
    Now Leonardo has revealed that they are in the market for Tevez, and would be willing to buy him - courtesy of their Qatari owners, who are believed to have talked with City chief Sheikh Mansour.
    "PSG has not made a bid for Tevez, we have enquired," Leonardo told Corriere della Serra.
    "I spoke with the player's agent, he told me that Carlitos preferred to go to Milan.
    "But Manchester wants to sell and not loan. If the City agrees to loan Tevez then he goes to Milan, the case is closed. Otherwise the market is open."
    Leonardo also denied he was trying to get one over on his former club, insisting that PSG have been interested for a long time.
    "The goal is not to inflict a blow to Milan. We are interested for quite some time. This is not a sudden twist. "

Uploads

Ivan Gazidis: Backing Arsene Wenger to stay put

GAZIDIS - WENGER STAYING LONG-TERM

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis insists that Arsene Wenger remains committed to the club for the 'long-term'.
    The Frenchman recently suggested that he would contemplate his future at the end of the season, and that he would now start thinking about the short-term future of the club.
    But Gazidis insists that he has had conversations with Wenger about squad plans up to 2017.
    "Arsene's only 62 and in great shape and I don't sense any weakening of his desire," Gazidis told the Sunday Telegraph.
    "Nobody knows what the future holds but it is entirely possible that he will be with the club for a long time to come."
    Speaking about his recent quotes, Gazidis added: "I read that but the conversation I had with him in Athens was talking about squad planning for 2016-17.
    "I know what he meant by talking about the short term. He wants to be successful and that's important.
    "At the same time he cares about this club so deeply, he's thinking about things that will only impact the club after he has gone.
    "That is very unusual - not unique - but very unusual. Football is a very volatile world.
    "One of the great advantages we have through our continuity - and Manchester United have this in Sir Alex Ferguson - is that we have a manager who actually puts the club above his own self-interest.
    "It is a privilege to work with Arsene. He is an extraordinary individual with an unbelievable commitment to the club."
    Gazidis also insists there have been no discussions about whether Wenger would move 'upstairs' at the club when he felt his time as a coach was over.
    "That transition, whenever it happens, will be very significant for the club. I can't predict exactly how. It certainly isn't happening in the foreseeable future," he said.
    "You'll always have significant challenges when a giant like Arsene does decide to move on to something new. The strength of Arsene and the club is that the thought process is seamless.
    "A lot of discussions are about things that will be in place after he's gone. His departure wouldn't invalidate that. His knowledge and vision is embedded into the club. It is hard-wired into us."
    Meanwhile, Wenger is determined that prolific goalscorer Robin van Persie not take all the plaudits for the club's turnaround from a difficult start to the season.
    Van Persie continued his remarkable form against Everton, volleying home his 15th Premier League goal of the season on 70 minutes give Arsenal all three points
    "It is a tradition in football that the goalscorers always get the plaudits, but I must say Robin deserves that because he has always been remarkably consistent," Wenger said.
    "But I am very pleased as well that the team has improved defensively.
    "When you look at the goals we conceded at the start of the season, we look much more solid now.
    "We didn't give a chance away against Everton, basically, so on that front we are better."
    Wenger added: "We are in a team sport and without our partners we are nobody - but at the end of the day the media always (pick) somebody out.
    "We started from so deep that nobody could have predicted that at the beginning of December, we would be where we are now," said Wenger, whose side next face a trip to leaders Manchester City.
    "We have to keep going because we are still far away.
    "We try very hard. Next Sunday will be a big test for us, but we have a week to prepare.
    "It will be a good test to see where we are."
    Had Everton left north London with a point, it would not have been wholly undeserved, and they almost did when substitute Conor McAleny - the 19-year-old Merseyside-born forward making his senior debut - flashed an effort just wide in stoppage time.
    David Moyes' well-organised side are now coming into a run of fixtures - at home to both Norwich and Swansea and then the trip to Sunderland on Boxing Day - which could see them move closer to the leading pack.
    "We had won two out of three before, so we were in decent form," said the Everton boss.
    "The players acquitted themselves well again, especially in the second half.
    "I can't ask for an awful lot more."
    Moyes added: "Perhaps a cutting edge would be a start, but then I am sure I will find there is something else which needs to be fixed."

Uploads

Jan Schlaudraff (l): Signed until 2015

NEW DEAL FOR SCHLAUDRAFF
    Jan Schlaudraff has signed a new three-year contract with Hannover.
    The 28-year-old put pen to paper on Friday but only announced the deal after Saturday's 0-0 draw with Bayer Leverkusen at the Niedersachsenstadion.
    "Everything is perfect right now. I am fit and I am really happy with this club and our team," Schlaudraff said. "Therefore, I have decided to stay with Hannover 96."
    Schlaudraff initially struggled to impress coach Mirko Slomka and was close to a transfer 18 months ago when the club's president Martin Kind declared that Schlaudraff "will never play for us again".
    However, two months into last season Schlaudraff returned to the side and convinced Slomka of his worth, going on to play in almost every game from then on.
    "I think it was a difficult time for us at the beginning, but everybody pulled together and now we are enjoying a successful time," he told Sky television.
    "We now want to build on that in the coming two or three years and I am pleased to be part of that."
    Schlaudraff has signed a contract until June 2015.

Uploads

Claudio Pizarro: 'Everything is possible'

PIZARRO COMMITTED TO BREMEN
    Werder Bremen striker Claudio Pizarro says he is committed to the club, even though he has not ruled out leaving at the end of the season.
    The Peruvian striker's contract expires in the summer and he has yet to commit himself to a new deal.
    After scoring his 12th goal of the season in Saturday's 4-1 triumph over Wolfsburg, he said his future is still open.
    "You never know what might happen," he told Sky television. "But I have a contract until the end of the season and we will then see where things go.
    "Everything is possible. I could even stay, but I could also leave.
    "Until then, I will do everything I can to make this a successful season."
    That is looking likely with Bremen's win moving them to within two points of the summit with one game to go until the midway stage of the season.
    That is a position opponents Wolfsburg could only dream about, as their ninth defeat of the season saw them slide closer towards the relegation zone.
    "This match was just like in many games before - we played well up until we conceded a goal, and then we forgot to defend and hardly had a chance," said coach Felix Magath, whose target of a place in Europe next season is looking increasingly unrealistic.