Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 14-12-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 14-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 14-12-11

1900: Rangers manager Ally McCoist says the club are hoping to agree a contract extension with Thomas Bendiksen. He told Rangers TV's Blues News: "I've spoken to his agent myself on a couple of occasions. He is very keen for Thomas to stay, we're keen for Thomas to stay, hopefully Thomas is keen to stay too. Negotiations have already started and hopefully we can get him on a long-term contract."
    1830: Gerry Armstrong is still waiting for a response over his application to become Northern Ireland boss. "I feel I've as good a chance as anybody. But I haven't heard anything else, so as yet nothing's moving," he told UTV.
    1810: Blackburn have issued a statement denying newspaper report that club is facing financial crisis.
    1800: The FA have warned Harry Redknapp over his future conduct following his comments about the performance of referee Chris Foy during Tottenham's defeat at Stoke - but he's escaped any further action.
    1725: Eduardo Vargas' agent says Chelsea have made no formal offer for the Chilean forward. While admitting the player is "attracting a lot of interest", agent Mark Griffiths also told "A valuation of 10million euros (8.5mil) I think it could be higher than that, maybe around 12million-14million euros (10mil-12mil)."
    I'm now blowing my cheeks out in the style of that man from the old Halls cough sweets adverts after he says "Oh, and watch out for the extra strong flavour."
    1715: Colin Ross writes: "Really bad news on Darren Fletcher so losing Vidic and now Fletcher will surely force Fergie into the marketplace next month. Hard to replace a Fletcher type of player with one of the best engines in the prem and probably United's most consistant performer over the last three years. There is no doubt in my mind that United have the cash so apart from Cahill who we already discussed, I would offer Drogba a two year contract and go after either Hazzard or Gourcoff. Right now United are left with Anderson (injured) Cleverley (injured) Carrick and Jones. Giggs and Park can be used sparingly so I'm not including them. This is not a mid field that is going to win anything so he has to buy. (buying Drogba gives Fergie options with where to play Rooney.)"
    1655: An update on the Carlos Tevez situation and AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani admits the club are willing to wait until "18:59 on January 31 to complete his transfer" from Manchester City.
    Galliani also denied reports suggesting Milan are ready to offer Alexandre Pato or Robinho to City as part of a swap deal. He said: "I reiterate that Pato and Robinho will not leave the club."
    1625: More quotes from Daniel Levy and he's ruled out the likes of Gareth Bale and Luka Modric leaving in January. He said: "We have a great squad with exceptional talent and none of the main players will be leaving in January."
    1610: There has been suggestions Bobby Zamora could leave Fulham in January following reports of a rift with Martin Jol - but the Cottagers boss has played all this down. He said: "I said to him a few weeks ago 'do you love this club?' and he said 'yeah, I love this club, I love this team'. I don't think there is any problem. I think the grass is always greener [on the other side] but it is not only for him."
    1545: Ajax's Gregory van der Wiel is a name to look out for during next month's TC ramblings - although the club's interim technical director Danny Blind does not expect the highly-rated full-back to leave.
    1530: More details now on Darren Fletcher, who will take "an extended break from football" owing to a chronic inflammatory bowel condition.
    The midfielder, who has been sidelined at various points in recent times with what was reported to be a virus, has been suffering with the condition for some time.
    1515: Dramatic scenes in the office - Jack has now departed work and is heading for home. Another man, Chris Hammer, has turned up for work. Contact me now at
    1502: Breaking News: Darren Fletcher is to take an extended break from football for health reasons. Literally nothing else to report so far but stay tuned/keep refreshing.
    1454: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admits he could be tempted into the January sales if "an opportunity turns up".
    1443: As Martyn Gibson then comes to the defence of Wayne Rooney, writing: "In response to John Parrys question "where are Rooneys goal scoring boots" 13 goals in 19 games this season is where they are. That isn't exactly bad."
    1442: Ken steps to the defence of Carroll, writing: "I think that we have to be fair on Andy Carroll, and look at the whole picture. It is very clear that he and Suarez are unable to operate as a pairing, and Suarez is not at his best working behind a striker either; much preferring being up front on his own. Liverpool seem better set up with Suarez upfront because they are still playing without width. Suarez can receive a ball "up the middle", and turn on it, where as Carroll tends to knock such balls back to the midfield. We have not really seen Carroll up front on his own with 2 wide men putting in decent crosses, which is the system he thrives on. Ironically it was only after he was substituted against Fulham, that we played with width, and started putting crosses in. So, for me, I would keep Carroll, but when playing him, make sure there is width. He would give us the option, of changing the point of attack....Up the centre with Suarez, down the wings with Carroll."
    1427: Massive news, and come on, let's face it, massive lies. I'll bite though and inform that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy says manager Harry Redknapp is not interested in the England job "at the present time".
    1409: There's no stopping him at the moment as John writes: "Jack you have hit the nail on the head there, the only thing the transfer window stops is a player physically detaching himself from a contract and moving to another, pre contracts can be agreed at any time.... the transfer window co-incides with the registration window also ( or plural )....."
    Hope that sorts you out, Mike!
    1405: John Parry writes: "Colin is being harsh in some respects, but personally justified in others, I feel the statement was aimed towards "HIS" being Kenny D's panic buy, can I start by saying KK had only been in the job for less than 3 weeks as caretaker manager ( not installed until march ) the decision ( well documented ) was taken by Damien Comolli ( out ! out !
    ) and if asking the question re: carroll, can I retort on the question where are Rooneys goal scoring boots at the moment ??? Carroll will come good, the question is how long do we wait... KK has already said no strikers in January, but you simply cant put Carrolls 35 price tag down to Andy or Kenny, nor Suarez being a Kenny buy.... to put it simply, we are a team under massive construction and the true fans will give IT, and KK,.AC whomever time, (not DC though can i just be clear I think the guy is a menace) !!!"
    To be fair to Rooney, John, and I am his biggest critic, he did net twice against Wolves and played brilliantly against Basel. Carroll has been a complete disaster up until now. Reds fans, if he was to move on in January for 15million what would you think?
    1358: Mike Ryan asks: "I've noticed one or two of the tabs and websites are reporting this (Modibo Maiga) story, and the player is set to have a medical before agreeing a deal with Newcastle. Can you shed any light on how this business can be done outside the transfer windows? Things seem to be above board, otherwise I imagine the Premier League or FA would have intervened by now. I'm just wondering if the "transfer window" is just a period in which clubs need to register the move and register the player, yet talks can go on in the background for months in between?"
    I think that's exactly it, Mike. He would sign on a pre-contract deal I'm lead to believe, but until January he could technically still play for Sochaux. If I'm wrong though folks please feel free to correct that!
    1351: This dude was brilliant last night and now Juan Mata has backed "legend" Frank Lampard to force his way back into the Chelsea side.
    1341: Crystal Palace starlet Wilfried Zaha is poised to sign a new five-year contract.
    1318: Catania hope to prevent Argentinian striker Maxi Lopez from leaving the club in January.
    1313: Nick Holloway puts things into perspective: "I feel Colin is being slightly harsh... it's hard to justify an overpriced panic buy."
    1307: Colin Burrow justifiably asks: "Shouldn't he be justifying why his 35million pound striker isn't playing during a period when they are lacking goals so badly?"
    1251: Mickey writes: "With all these so called FA charges going on at players,especially Suarez,Celtic getting fined by Uefa,etc, can anyone enlighten me as to what is happened to Everton FC after their disgusting missile throwing and shocking verbal abuse during the recent Derby,or is it a case of lets just forget that it will go away. Surely this kind of behaviour by these thugs,antagonises players such as Suarez,Rooney,etc and so the clubs should be severally punished! This might stop reactions from the players on the pitch.One more double standard from the FA again last night is they won't look into Harry's comments,has that got something to do with he might be the next England Manager and so they treat him with kid gloves?"
    1248: Keeping the transfer gossip going (get it?) and Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan has admitted he is keeping his options open as he weighs up his next move.
    1242: Stoke City goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen is mulling over signing a two-year contract extension.
    1230: Kenny Dalglish reacted sarcastically to questions over Liverpool's profligacy in front of goal.
    Just answer the darn questions, Kenny, they're only doing their jobs.
    1224: Petr Cech believes Chelsea's 2-1 victory over Manchester City on Monday has thrown the Premier League title race wide open, with the Blues back in the hunt.
    Agree/disagree/fancy a moan? Send me an e-mail at or Tweet me @SLifeJackW
    1217: Bit of a slow Tuesday unfortunately, but in exciting developments, Hartlepool caretaker-manager Micky Barron has not ruled himself out of taking the job on a permanent basis at Victoria Park.
    1141: Colin Ross writes: "The rumours about Cahill to United make a lot of sense as Fergie is trying to develop young Jones into a midfielder in the Roy Keane box to box type player. Rio and Cahill would make a pretty good pairing. United have a couple of players who could help Bolton and Gibson with regular work is one of them. Macheda on loan is another player who could develop with regular playing time."
    1136: Bhoys don't cry update.
    1131: Brad writes: "Clattenburg admits he saw the Yaya Toure incident and didn't think either were sendings off. Wow. Surely that there alone isgood enough for a demotion.....?"
    Wowzers, that's a Clanger from Clatters.
    1129: In the most protacted but also uninteresting saga of the autumn, Swiss side FC Sion will learn their fate in their battle with UEFA by December 23, the Court of Arbitration for Sport have announced.
    1118: Breaking News in regards to the Celtic fine yesterday, and the Bhoys will not appeal their fine for illicit chanting in their Europa League game against Rennes. More to come...
    1109: Well this bloke must feel super special at Juventus, who are hoping wantaway striker Amauri makes the move to Tottenham in January, according to general manager Giuseppe Marotta.
    1050: Thrown out of the Wolves it seems as Wolfsburg have confirmed Alexander Hleb's loan deal will not be extended into the new year.
    1045: Everton youngster Ross Barkley believes manager David Moyes is the ideal man to get the best out of him.
    1030: Liverpool midfielder, and TC darling Jay Spearing admits he has to prove his value to the team in order to persuade manager Kenny Dalglish he does not need to bring in reinforcements.
    1021: John Clarke writes: "I have no particular axe to grind for any foootball team but the issue is not the ineptitude of any individual team. It is clear beyond the doubt of anyone but referee protectors that the ineptitude is firmly with the referees.

"If it isn't, why are we always debating poor refereeing decisions. The excuse, "they're only human and make mistakes the same as anyone," doesn't wash. For the odd mistake that would be acceptable. But there are numerous mistakes every game.

"Retraining has never been so urgent in any industry. Why do we just get excuses without solutions? The referees currently available have no quality in depth. Accept that and you're on the way to resolving the torrential refereeing errors."
    1018: Brad is back, writing: "Ken - i thought exactly the same. How stupid do you have to be to Tweet SIR Chris Hoy thinking he is a referee? Absolutely brilliant.
    Not sure what is worse though, the fact they got tally the wrong person, or the fact they were sending some pretty vile abuse at all?"
    1010: Glen Johnson insists Liverpool team-mate Luis Suarez will not be affected by all the furore surrounding him.
    After the "Hand of Suaz" incident, I'm sure this man could go out on a night at Millwall unfazed after scoring a hat-trick of handballs.
    0951: Ken Livermore time. He writes: "As we get to the end of the year, so people start making nominations for team of the year, player of the year etc, etc. So could I get the ball rolling on the TC with my nomination for "Thickest Supporters of the Year". Olympic cycling gold medallist Sir Chris Hoy has put out a plea on his Twitter Site asking Spurs supporters to stop sending him obscene messages. He points out that the ref on Sunday was Chris FOY !!!!!!!!!!!!"
    His response of "I don't need glasses" gave me a mild "lol" I must admit.
    0941: Cagliari president Massimo Cellino insists Belgian midfielder Radja Nainggolan will not leave the Sardinian outfit in January.
    0933: So Zat's way of making Patrick Langdon laugh. He writes: "Zat Knights comments amuse me. He wants us to become "horrible". Well from where I am sitting thats what we have been all season!!. If he imagines that going back to the more direct physical route will get us out of trouble I fear he is somewhat under a delusion.
    "Kevin Davies is no longer the effective threat he once was and teams have wised up to our old fashioned long ball tactics. Knight, and his team mates, would do well to forget the fine words and actually start performing.
    Its no good banging on about playing well and saying this is the week we kick start our season when it doesn't happen. I thought the Stoke result might have been the catalyst for something but even a 5-0 can't seem to make this lot buck their ideas up.
    "The trouble is, and on this point I agree with Coyle, theres not enough competition with a small, injury ravaged squad. Robinson is complacent with no real challenge at left back, Knight is secure in the knowledge Wheater is suspended, Klasnic (who at least scores) faces no real competition from Ngog. But its a mess of Coyles own making and i fervently hope we don't just let the season drift on "ifs and maybes""
    0932: Brad Smith has had enough, writing: "Please can everyone stop blaming refs and blame your own teams ineptitude instead?
    "Stoke scored a perfectly good goal vs Spurs two years ago, which was a foot over the line, not given. They won 2-1. I don't remember them moaning then. Or when Cahill got sent off, or When Walker caught the ball in the area vs Fulham, or the VdV handball vs Arsenal. And City as well. Theyve had their fair share of decisions. Its embarrassing
    "Man up and take the defeat properly, and worry about why your teams couldn't win the game regardless of the officials."
    0923: James McCarthy and James McArthur are confident Wigan can play their way to Premier League survival, with recent results offering renewed hope.
    0917: Michael Grell adds to the Stamford Bridge feedback, writing: "In response to Phil's email, I would like to make a few points. Firstly I will admit that City could and should have had a penalty although I am sure like a lot of Chelsea fans we could go on about the multitude of penalties we could have had, however, may I remind Phil that City should havebeen down to ten men a lot earlier. I will remind him that Yaya Toure should have been sent off for a kick at Mata (and before you say it it was not hard the word you should use is intention) then to compound it he pushed Mata in the face in front of the referee. Then three minutes later he fouled Mata again and was not booked. Secondly even before City was down to ten men Chelsea was controlling the game and to be honest besides the first twenty minutes when City was fantastic I thought Chelsea was in control.
    "Now back to my team I thought that Ramires was quality and all the people who was giving him stick when he first arrived must be eating their words as he gives aour midfield drive and purpose like Frank used to do, Frank is still a quality performer but he is no longer box to box. Romeo looks so assured for a lad of his age he will only get better and better. Now my final point AVB got punished by the FA for saying almost the same thing as Redknapp but surprise surprise he isn't punished. I wonder why, maybe the FA is preparing him for some bigger job elsewhere (answers on a postcard). As they say in the trade "Game On""
    0908: The Championship seems to be the "it" scene right now, as On-loan Leeds United striker Andy Keogh is hoping a deal can be agreed with Wolves for him to stay at Elland Road beyond January.
    0905: Striker Jason Scotland says he hopes to earn a new contract at Ipswich.
    0832: Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic has played down reports of a January transfer after admitting it is flattering to be wanted by other clubs.
    0820: Mick McCarthy has praised Steven Fletcher's reluctance to court publicity, but acknowledges that his fine form is likely to spark interest.
    Did anyone besides Wolves fans know that he'd scored 16 goals in 23 starts? Crazy stats!
    0817: Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish has dismissed reports that he will try to offload captain Stiliyan Petrov in the January transfer window.
    0808: AC Milan midfielder Clarence Seedorf has suggested that Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez will join whichever club can 'promise him the most money'.
    Hit the nail right in the face, Clarence.
    0752: Forgotten striker Roman Pavlyuchenko's agent claims Queens Park Rangers have been offered the chance to sign the Tottenham Hotspur striker in January.
    0739: In all the excitement, I forgot to mention you can reach me at or you can Tweet me @SLifeJackW
    0738: Annoyed Man City fan Phil Coates claims: "Chelsea stole this one with a lot of help from the ref. Denial of a clear City penalty when Silva was scythed down in the box was followed by a yellow card to Clichy for "unsporting behaviour" after disputing a ridiculous free kick award for his mild challenge to Sturridge. That yellow led to Clichy's subsequent dismissal early in the second half by which the ref gave Chelsea thirty+ minutes with a man advantage. A wild shot by Sturridge going well wide struck Lescotts arm and the subsequent penalty gave Chelsea the match."
    0736: Ashley Cole reportedly at the centre of a tunnel bust-up? I won't hear a word of it.
    0721: And moments after his winning spot-kick, Frank Lampard revealed he wanted to stay at Chelsea to the end of his contract, after initially starting the match from the bench.
    0719: In case you missed last night's big game, you can find out all the details here.
    0711: G'day folks. Jack Woodfield here to guide you smoothly through the day. The triumphant return of Simon Crawford finds Paper Talk already in the can. Enjoy!

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 14-12-11

Bendiksen: Has impressed at Rangers

Rangers manager Ally McCoist says the club are hoping to agree a contract extension with Thomas Bendiksen.
    The 22-year-old from Norway has impressed recently, helping Rangers to a four-point lead at the top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League ahead of Saturday's fixture with Inverness.
    Manager Ally McCoist has already indicated talks are imminent with midfielder Maurice Edu and striker Kyle Lafferty and now Bendiksen appears set to be offered new terms, with his current six-month deal poised to finish at the end of this month.
    McCoist told Rangers TV's Blues News: "We've always known about Thomas' talent, this isn't a surprise to us.
    "I'm delighted the lad's now fit and he's got an opportunity to express himself.
    "We're just pleased he's back in the swing of things after the best part of two years of injuries. Hopefully that's all behind him.
    "I've spoken to his agent myself on a couple of occasions. He is very keen for Thomas to stay, we're keen for Thomas to stay, hopefully Thomas is keen to stay too.
    "Negotiations have already started and hopefully we can get him on a long-term contract."

Armstrong: Wants to manage N Ireland

Northern Ireland legend Gerry Armstrong has yet to hear back from the Irish Football Association regarding his application to succeed Nigel Worthington as manager of the national side.
    The IFA have been weighing up applications for the vacant post in recent weeks and were thought to be preparing to interview leading candidates.
    Worthington's predecessor, Lawrie Sanchez, ruled himself out of the running on Monday by issuing a formal statement through his current club Barnet, indicating he had not applied for the job and had not been approached by his former employers.
    Other contenders for the job include ex-Cardiff manager Dave Jones and former internationals Jim Magilton, Iain Dowie and Michael O'Neill - who is currently bookmakers' favourite after announcing his exit from Shamrock Rovers.
    But Armstrong, who represented Northern Ireland in the 1982 World Cup and was assistant manager under both Bryan Hamilton and Sanchez, has suggested an appointment may not be close.
    "I feel I've as good a chance as anybody. But I haven't heard anything else, so as yet nothing's moving," he told UTV.
    "There are a lot of good candidates that have applied. Until the Irish FA decide what they want to do, who they want to speak to and until they have the official interviews I don't think anything will move.
    "I spoke to Dave Jones, funnily enough, a few days ago and Dave told me the same thing. He hasn't heard anything from the Irish FA."
    The IFA are in no rush to name a new boss before the new year, but are eager to have a manager in place in good time to prepare for the first match of 2012, a friendly against Norway at Windsor Park on February 29.
    Sanchez, meanwhile, today expanded on his reasons for distancing himself from a return to Windsor Avenue.
    He blamed misreporting of an interview he gave in September about the performance of Worthington for making it "inappropriate" for him to return.
    "It caused me a lot of embarrassment and I'm sure it caused Nigel a lot of embarrassment as well and on the back of that, some ill-informed comments came from managers and players," he told BBC Sport.
    "The fuss caused by that interview has made it inappropriate for me to apply at this time. I've since written to Nigel apologising for any embarrassment that was caused.
    "I'd like to return to Northern Ireland. Whether people like it or not, I'm the most successful manager since the days of Billy Bingham, and statistically actually better than Billy Bingham. But at the current time, with the fuss caused by that interview, it wasn't the appropriate time."

Brad Guzan: Keeping his options open

Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan has admitted he is keeping his options open as he weighs up his next move.
    Despite 23 various cup appearances to his name, Guzan only made his full Barclays Premier League debut at the weekend in Saturday's 2-1 win at Bolton after almost three-and-a-half years at the club.
    After spending three years as understudy to Brad Friedel, Guzan now finds himself behind Shay Given in the pecking order at Villa Park.
    Given's hamstring injury means Guzan now has a chance to prove his worth to boss Alex McLeish in what is his most vital season as he only has six months remaining on his current contract.
    "I know there are discussions ongoing with my agent so it is a case of seeing what happens," the 27-year-old told the Birmingham Mail.
    "Six months from now I'll be out of contract. It has to be right for both parties, but Villa is a great club.
    "At the moment I'm obviously pleased to be playing football, in the side helping out while Shay recovers from injury, and pushing us up the table.
    "Obviously I'm in the team now so it gives the manager a chance to look at me. I've seen he has said some nice things about me recently which is good to see."
    McLeish, meanwhile, has dismissed speculation he is planning to sell skipper Stiliyan Petrov in next month's transfer window.
    Rumours have surfaced McLeish will offload Petrov as he aims to rebuild the squad, even though the 32-year-old midfielder still has another 18 months remaining on his current contract.
    However, McLeish has admitted only a silly money offer will force him to part with the Bulgarian.
    Regarding the stories, McLeish said: "I saw that but we've never said anything.
    "I can only assume it's come from an agent. We've never said, and I've never said to Stan, we'll try and get you out in January.
    "We have no intentions of letting Stan go in January unless someone comes in with a bid we can't refuse."

Butland: Impressed during Cheltenham loan

Chris Hughton is considering whether Birmingham's Jack Butland will go out on loan in January.
    Chris Hughton will weigh up whether to allow Birmingham's highly-rated goalkeeper Jack Butland out on loan again in January. The 18-year-old, already established as number one for England's Under-21 side, has now returned to Blues after his maximum three-month loan spell with League Two side Cheltenham came to an end with Saturday's 3-0 victory over leaders Southend.
    It was Butland's sixth clean sheet in 11 league appearances and the teenager's rave reviews, in what was his first experience of professional football, have only served to strengthen his claims as one of the stars of the future.
    Hughton now faces a dilemma as to where the next stage of his education takes place.
    "Jack played very well at Cheltenham," the Birmingham boss told the club's official website. "But he is still a very young goalkeeper and we have to assess where we are with him now he's back at Birmingham.
    "It's whether we look to keep him or whether we look to get him out on loan again come January. Anything we do with Jack has to be for all our best interests."

Luka Modric: Potential Man United target

Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Ince believes the transfer window has come at the right time for the club.
    United announced that midfielder Darren Fletcher is to take an extended break from the game because he is suffering from ulcerative colitis, a chronic inflammatory bowel condition.
    The Old Trafford club had previously stated they did not intend doing much activity in the transfer window - but Ince believes the absence of the Scotland international means they may reverse that decision.
    With fellow midfielders Anderson and Tom Cleverley sidelined and central defender Nemanja Vidic also injured, Ince believes Tottenham's Luka Modric may interest manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
    Ince told BBC Radio Five Live: "I feel they need that creativity in midfield, losing Paul Scholes was a big loss obviously.
    "You're not going to get players like Roy Keane or Bryan Robson, those players aren't around anymore.
    "The game has changed since then and you don't get those type of characters, so he (Ferguson) has got to look at another way of controlling the midfield and I think that can come from creativity in someone like Luka Modric or Andres Iniesta, they are the players I would be looking at.
    "I'm sure Sir Alex will take stock and he'll be looking at what type of player he will need in January and it won't just be in midfield, I'm sure he's looking at a centre-half with Vidic being out.
    "But I'm sure he knows what to do, there's no point me telling him what to do because he's the greatest manager I've ever played under."
    Former West Ham, Liverpool and United midfielder Ince also believes a goalscorer should be on Ferguson's wishlist, particularly with Javier Hernandez out for several weeks with an ankle injury.
    He added: "There is a lot of pressure on Rooney and we saw what that did to him in the World Cup.
    "If you are going to compete with the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea you need someone who is going to score you 20 goals a season and you can't just rely on Wayne Rooney to do it year in and year out.
    "Nani has chipped in and Ashley Young was flying early on, but they have quietened down form-wise, so you wonder where the goals are going to come from.
    "[Dimitar] Berbatov's not playing enough, Michael Owen is out injured again and Danny Welbeck is still a young lad but he will chip in with goals."

Tomas Rosicky: Wolfsburg target

Arsenal midfielder Tomas Rosicky could be a January transfer target for Bundesliga club Wolfsburg.
    Felix Magath, manager of the German outfit, has revealed he is an admirer of the Czech Republic international.
    And with Rosicky having made just three Premier League starts this season, Wolfsburg could tempt the former Borussia Dortmund star back to the Bundesliga.
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has played down suggestions the 31-year-old will leave the Emirates Stadium, but there has been a link to Wolfsburg since the summer.
    Magath told BILD: "Tomas Rosicky is definitely a quality player, there should be no doubt about that.
    "And he is on top of his fitness. A few years ago, he was chased by all of the big clubs in Europe."
    Magath has also confirmed his interest in Ivica Olic, who is expected to leave Bayern Munich in January ahead of the conclusion of his contract at the end of the season.
    "Ivica Olic could fit right into our setup. And as far as I am concerned he is looking to move clubs," said Magath.
    "He might play his final tournament in the coming summer, when he features for Croatia at the Euro 2012.
    "This is why he needs to play regularly now. But we have to wait and see what Bayern Munich wants to do or not."

Steven Fletcher: Among the goals for Wolves

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy has made it clear Steven Fletcher is not for sale.
    Fletcher's six goals in 10 Premier League matches this season, and five in his last six in particular, have ensured he is currently hot property.
    With the January transfer window looming, McCarthy is wary of the vultures who could look to sign the 24-year-old Scotland international.
    "He's a Premier League player scoring goals so he's going to get headlines. Players always do when they're scoring goals," McCarthy told the Express & Star.
    Asked if he felt Fletcher would be a transfer target, McCarthy said: "No. If I say yes then I've suddenly put him up for sale haven't I? So, categorically, no.
    "All Fletcher can do is play and score, for his career here and his Scotland career.
    "He's still only a young man, so all he can do is keep playing well and scoring. It's a great feeling as a footballer to be playing well.
    "He's a very good player, he's excellent. It's his all-round game, but as with all strikers it's his goals that top his performances off.
    "And he wants to score. He loves scoring."

David Villa: Not for sale

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has rubbished reports suggesting he is prepared to sanction the sale of David Villa during the January transfer window.
    Spanish sports paper Marca claimed the Catalan giants had made the World Cup winner available for a New Year move.
    A number of Premier League sides were said to be keen to strike a deal, with Villa's strike rate the envy of many strikers in Europe.
    The 30-year-old has struggled to hit the heights expected of him at Camp Nou following his arrival in the summer of 2010, but he has still managed 32 goals in 75 appearances.
    With Barca boasting few out-and-out strikers on their books, Villa is considered to be an important member of their squad.
    Taking that into account, Guardiola has sought to bring an end to the mounting speculation regarding his future.
    Speaking in Japan ahead of Barca's Club World Cup campaign, he said: "Marca lie.
    "I have not spoken to David after the last match in Madrid, but all of the players are in my plans.
    "I am the one who comes up with 25 different line-ups during the season because I feel that is the best thing to do.
    "Most of the players that are here now will continue for the rest of this season and the next.
    "I wish I could play with 15 players on a team because then everyone could play."

Shelvey: Impressive spell at Blackpool

Jonjo Shelvey has his sights firmly set on the Liverpool first team following his successful loan spell with Blackpool.
    Shelvey scored six goals in 10 appearances for the Championship side earlier this term before being called back to Anfield due to Lucas Leiva's season-ending cruciate knee ligament injury.
    Along with Lucas, the Reds have captain Steven Gerrard (ankle) in the treatment room, while fellow midfielder Jay Spearing was sent off on his first Premier League start of the campaign at Fulham last week and still has two matches of his suspension to serve.
    It presents a potential opportunity in the middle for Shelvey and the 19-year-old is keen to show manager Kenny Dalglish he is ready for action.
    "I feel that the time I spent away from the club really helped me come on as a player," Shelvey told Liverpool's website.
    "But it also made me realise just how much I want to be playing in Liverpool's first team.
    "There's a big difference between Championship football and Premier League football.
    "It's so good to be back in and around the squad.
    "I only got on for a few minutes on Saturday (in the 1-0 win against QPR) but it was really special to be back out there on the pitch in front of the fans. It's always a great honour to play for Liverpool.
    "Kenny called me back and hopefully now I can show the gaffer what I can do.
    "I've got to deliver day in, day out in training and try to force my way into his plans."
    He added: "Obviously it was really unfortunate for Lucas to get such a bad injury and then for Jay to get a ban as well.
    "With a few players missing there's definitely an opening there but it's down to the gaffer whether he wants to pick me.
    "When my time comes I'll be waiting and ready to take my chance."
    Meanwhile, another Reds midfield man Charlie Adam says he is not concerned by any additional sense of pressure to perform in the absence of the likes of Gerrard and Lucas - because responsibility is something he has felt from the moment he joined Liverpool this summer.
    "I've always felt responsibility because when you come to a club like this you have to take responsibility and you can't hide," Adam said.
    "The two players we've lost is a big loss for us - one is the captain and one is an international for Brazil.
    "It's been difficult, but the lads have come in and done and great job.
    "Hopefully we can continue that and it will be nice to see them back in the first team."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast