Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 15-12-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 15-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 15-12-11

Van Persie: Arsenal's star striker

GUNNERS CALM OVER ROBIN VAN PERSIE

Arsenal remain confident captain Robin van Persie will not leave the club at the end of the season.
    The Dutch striker has been in blistering form this campaign and has scored 23 goals in all competitions for club and country.
    But Van Persie's contract, which will expire in the summer of 2013, is an issue on the mind of all associated with Arsenal.
    The 2004 signing from Feyenoord said in October he was committed at Emirates Stadium, but he has also delayed discussions over a new deal and there remains a concern he could leave at the end of the season.
    The situation would be a repeat of this summer, when Samir Nasri quit Arsenal for Manchester City in the final 12 months of his contract.
    But the London club's chairman, Peter Hill-Wood, remains relaxed and is quoted as saying in the Daily Star: "I think Robin wants to stay. He seems very happy.
    "Nothing has been discussed, though it is obvious we want him to stay. He doesn't want to talk about a contract now and that's fine with us."
    Meanwhile, Theo Walcott, whose contract also expires at the end of next season, is pleased Arsenal have turned a corner after a wretched start to the current campaign.
    Arsene Wenger's team lost four of their opening seven Premier League matches, including the 8-2 humiliation at Manchester United and defeat in the North London derby at Tottenham.
    But an eight-game unbeaten run has put Arsenal on the tails of the top four ahead of Sunday's match at Manchester City, who lost their undefeated record at Chelsea last time out.
    "Our new players needed time to gel, time to settle. They had to get used to the way the club is run. It was always going to take time," said Walcott in the Daily Express.
    "We had injuries as well. Things were not going our way, but the way we've played in the last few weeks, it's nice to see us move up the table."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 15-12-11

Torres: Scored five goals since leaving Liverpool

FERNANDO TORRES NOT FOR SALE - AVB

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas insists striker Fernando Torres was not for sale at any price - in January or next summer.
    Reports have suggested the Blues may be prepared to cut their losses on the most expensive player ever transferred between British clubs by offloading him for just 20million next month.
    On Wednesday Chelsea branded such claims "nonsense", while Villas-Boas maintained on Thursday morning that the man who cost the club 50million from Liverpool in January was going nowhere.
    "It's not true, I'm sorry," said Villas-Boas, adding Torres would "for sure" be at Stamford Bridge next season.
    "He's not available at any price."
    Speculation has also been rife about the future of Frank Lampard, who found himself dropped for Chelsea's two biggest matches of the season during the past nine days.
    The 33-year-old, who has been linked with a move to the Los Angeles Galaxy, claimed Villas-Boas had yet to explain to him why he had lost his place.
    Villas-Boas admitted he had not specifically discussed Lampard's omission with the midfielder, but said: "We speak every day."
    He added: "There are plenty of players who push for starting XI selection and Frank is not the only one.
    "There are people making great efforts to get in this Chelsea squad.
    "Lamps is, I think, one of the top five players most used.
    "Every player wants to be involved in every game but sometimes it's just not possible.
    "I treat everybody equally.
    "It's pretty clear that everybody wants to play in every single game.
    "You will find it from Frank but if you interview other people you will find it from (Florent) Malouda and (Salomon) Kalou and Paulo (Ferreira) the same.
    "Everybody wants to play in every single game and everybody pushes to be in every single game.
    "Sometimes, it's not possible."
    Villas-Boas was confident Lampard would not quit Chelsea, with the midfielder last month expressing a desire to extend his contract, which expires at the end of next campaign.
    Revealing the England star's agent had made contact with Blues chief executive Ron Gourlay, Villas-Boas said: "From what Ron Gourlay told me, I think Steve Kutner contacted him recently but I'm not sure what is the situation.
    "I think we haven't decided yet what to do."
    Another player Villas-Boas insisted would not be leaving Chelsea was summer signing Oriol Romeu.
    Barcelona have reportedly disputed the precise nature of a buyback clause in the contract of the midfielder they sold to the Blues for 4.35million.
    The clause states Barca can resign Romeu for 8.7million next summer and 13million the following year but Chelsea maintain that only applies if they agree to sell.
    Villas-Boas said: "I've clarified that situation.
    "I know that it came out of the Spanish press exactly the opposite of what I said.
    "But I'm pretty clear in what I said and I won't make any further comment."
    A Chelsea spokesman added: "The contract stipulates that in any buyback clause it's only if Chelsea wishes to sell. So essentially it's a first option.
    "It does state it clearly in that contract and that contract is lodged with FIFA."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Wanted by AC Milan

BERLUSCONI URGES TEVEZ TO PICK MILAN

Silvio Berlusconi believes AC Milan would provide the perfect environment for Carlos Tevez to relaunch his career - while Paris St Germain insist they are yet to make a formal offer for the Manchester City striker.
    The Rossoneri have made no secret of their admiration for the Argentina striker, who is currently back in South America after a dispute with the Premier League outfit which centres around his conduct during the Champions League loss at Bayern Munich in September.
    PSG have also been linked with Tevez but the club's sporting director Leonardo told L'Equipe: "For Carlos Tevez, we have never made a formal offer to him or to the club for that matter."
    And Milan owner Berlusconi has urged the 27-year-old to put footballing reasons at the top of his agenda as he seeks a new club.
    "If he comes with us, he will win the Golden Ball award," Berlusconi told the Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper. "Tevez has two options, one which regards prestige and the other one money.
    "Milan is prestige and he would have the possibility to showcase his talent around the world and win the Golden Ball with us.
    "PSG represents a strong economic force.
    "He must choose between one or the other."
    Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani announced on Wednesday the Rossoneri would not enter a bidding war with PSG for Tevez.
    The Italian champions, looking to fill a striking vacancy created by Antonio Cassano's heart problem, have made an offer to take Tevez on loan in January with an option to make his stay at the San Siro permanent next summer but City are not thought to be keen on an initial temporary deal.
    Meanwhile, Berlusconi, who resigned as Italian prime minister last month, remains confident coach Massimiliano Allegri will soon sign a contract extension.
    Allegri's current deal expires at the end of this season but he has been offered fresh terms which would tie him to the club until June 2014.
    "Allegri's renewal is not in dispute," Berlusconi added.
    "It's an extension that we had already agreed for some time. He is doing very well."
    The former Cagliari coach led Milan to the Serie A title last season in his first year in charge and the Rossoneri are currently third, two points behind leaders Juventus.

Uploads

Cheik Tiote: Newcastle midfielder

PARDEW DETERMINED TO KEEP CHEIK

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has warned the Barclays Premier League big guns it will cost them a fortune to lure Cheik Tiote away from Tyneside next month.
    The Magpies tied up the Ivory Coast international midfielder on a new six-and-a-half-year contract early this year after an impressive start to his career in England.
    Tiote has already been linked with Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham, and Newcastle are bracing themselves for any approach when the transfer window opens next month.
    Pardew said: "He's a big target because he's a great player, and great players are going to be targets.
    "We are always on our guard with Cheik because we realise that to us, he is very, very important and it would be very, very difficult to get him out of here."
    Pardew, of course, spent much of last January insisting striker Andy Carroll was not for sale, only for Liverpool to make the Magpies a 35million offer they simply could not refuse.
    The manager knows a sizeable bid for Tiote or any other player - skipper Fabricio Coloccini and Danny Simpson are yet to agree new deals - could leave the club with another decision to make.
    However, that offer would have to be significant and dwarf the 3.5million Newcastle paid FC Twente for the midfielder.
    Pardew said: "You never know with the window. It's such a minefield of possibilities.
    "We have one or two players here that top clubs, I'm sure, will be interested in, but the one thing I would say on that is that they are going to have to pay a lot of money to take anybody out of here because we are obviously in a good position, not just on the playing side, but financially as well.
    "In terms of players coming in, there is certainly one player who will come in and we are hoping maybe two - if we don't lose anybody."
    Sochaux striker Modibo Maiga is expected to join the club next month, although Pardew was shedding little light on that issue on Thursday.

Uploads

Tim Ream: Wanted by Bolton

COYLE STILL KEEN ON TIM REAM

Bolton boss Owen Coyle can understand why the New York Red Bulls want to keep hold of Tim Ream - but has not ruled out a move for the United States defender in January.
    With Major League Soccer currently in its off-season, Ream spent last week with West Brom keeping up his fitness, and this week is training with Wanderers.
    Red Bulls sporting director Eric Soler has stressed the 24-year-old has made the trip to England to gain experience and that as far as he is concerned, Ream will be with the American club next year.
    As a great admirer of the centre-back, that stance comes as no surprise to Coyle.
    The Scot is keen to sign Ream, though, and has hinted it is something he may still look to pursue when the transfer window opens in a few weeks.
    "Would we like to have him at the football club? Absolutely," Coyle said.
    "Red Bulls have said that he is not for sale and that is totally understandable - I would say that about my top players.
    "Tim Ream is an outstanding player. He is someone I have known about for a couple of years now and I have watched his games extensively.
    "I can totally understand why the Red Bulls would say he is their player, because he is a prized asset.
    "But he has come in here, conducted himself very well and shown his quality - he has a lot of similar qualities to (Bolton's USA international) Stuart Holden, in terms of mentality and how he sees the game and wants to progress, and those are attributes I love.
    "He is a New York Red Bulls player and I wouldn't say anything else beside that because you have to respect that he has come in for a week's training with the permission of the club.
    "We'll leave it at that for the moment, and we'll see what January brings."

Uploads

Allen: Wanted by Rangers

McCOIST CONFIRMS INTEREST IN ALLAN

Rangers manager Ally McCoist has confirmed discussions have begun with Dundee United over a move for midfielder Scott Allan.
    United are reported to have accepted a bid of around 400,000 for Allan from West Brom, but both sides of the Old Firm remain interested.
    Celtic manager Neil Lennon has previously expressed his admiration for the 20-year-old, who has rejected a new contract offer from United with his current deal expiring at the end of the season.
    McCoist said: "We have spoken to Dundee United to let them know our intentions to speak to young Scott and his representatives.
    "He is obviously still a Dundee United player but I would have to say he is a very, very good player.
    "In terms of young talent in the country, he is up there with anything really."

Uploads

Albrighton: Happy at Villa

ALBRIGHTON RULES OUT RANGERS MOVE

Marc Albrighton has pledged his immediate future to Aston Villa and dismissed reports linking him with a move to Rangers.
    The winger had struggled to command a regular first-team spot during the current campaign before returning to Alex McLeish's side against Manchester United 12 days ago.
    He scored the opening goal in Saturday's 2-1 win at Bolton but is adamant leaving Villa never crossed his mind when out of favour.
    Academy product Albrighton, 22, said: "I have a mate at Rangers but I won't be going there anytime soon.
    "I don't want to think about leaving at the minute. I know things have not been great.
    "But I am a Villa boy and I can't think of anything worse than leaving the club that's given me all my games and all my happy moments.
    "One day I may have to leave, and that will be a sad day for me, but at the moment I am concentrating on playing well for Villa."
    Albrighton added: "I want to fight for my place here and see if I can establish myself and get back to my best here.
    "I don't want to take the easy route. I prefer to do the hard work and the manager told me I was in his plans."

Uploads

Niko Kranjcar: Content at Spurs

KRANJCAR HAPPY AT TOTTENHAM

Niko Kranjcar insists he will not be demanding to leave Tottenham when the transfer window opens next month.
    A thigh problem has restricted Kranjcar to just three Barclays Premier League appearances so far this term, but he hopes to return to action on Thursday night in Spurs' Europa League Group A clash against Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght Stadium.
    Despite being a gifted player blessed with good creativity, Kranjcar still faces an almost impossible task of dislodging Gareth Bale from his favoured position on the left wing.
    Kranjcar said on Tuesday that he would need "decent game time" to stay at White Hart Lane next month, but the 27-year-old appeared to backtrack on those comments by insisting he is totally content at White Hart Lane.
    "I'm not one to knock on the manager's door [to complain]," Kranjcar said.
    "I have always said I am happy to be part of the squad at Tottenham because I think it is an unbelievable place.
    "I would not really be interested if another club came in January.
    "I was out for most of the season so I probably would not think about anything else other than getting into top shape and pushing for a place. I really haven't had any thoughts on what might or might not happen in January. I am happy [at Tottenham]."
    Kranjcar admits he was annoyed not to be part of the recent 11-match unbeaten run that has catapulted the club to fourth in the table.
    "It is the most frustrating thing about being a footballer - being out when the team is playing well. You want to be part of it," the former Portsmouth man said.
    "But you try to stay calm and get back as soon as possible."
    Spurs face a huge challenge if they are to avoid going out of the Europa League, even though they are huge favourites to beat Irish champions Shamrock.
    The Londoners need PAOK Salonika to beat Rubin Kazan in Greece and they also need to overhaul a five-goal deficit in the Russians' favour.
    Manager Harry Redknapp, who will make at least nine changes from the team that lost at Stoke on Sunday, thinks Kranjcar's return after two months out could be key if they are to progress.
    "It's good to have Niko back. He is a fantastic footballer," Redknapp said.
    "He has only had two days' training but he has put himself up to play.
    "That's the kind of lad he is so it's great to have him back."
    Redknapp spent a large part of yesterday answering questions on his future after chairman Daniel Levy assured Spurs fans that their manager was not being distracted by talk of replacing Fabio Capello as England manager after Euro 2012.
    Redknapp is the bookmakers' favourite for the post having helped steer Tottenham from relegation candidates to title contenders in little over three years, and Kranjcar thinks he should get the job .
    "I think it is his time," Kranjcar said.
    "Everybody thinks he has the attributes to be the England manager.
    "I have worked with him a long time and the success he has had with Portsmouth and now with Spurs gives him all the credentials to count himself a person capable of being the next England manager."

Uploads

Tim Krul: Wants to stay

KRUL WANTS NEWCASTLE STAY

Tim Krul wants to stay at Newcastle for a 'long time' and has set his sights on winning a first-team place for Holland in time for Euro 2012.
    The goalkeeper has emerged as one of the best in the business in the Premier League this season and at just 23 years of age still has plenty of time to develop.
    Krul's form has seen him linked with a January move to Manchester United, where he performed heroics in November to earn Newcastle a draw.
    But the Dutchman is fully committed at St James' Park and wants to repay the faith shown by boss Alan Pardew.
    Ahead of Saturday's home match against Swansea, when Newcastle will aim to end a four-game winless run, Krul said in the Daily Mirror: "The manager has always insisted that if you're good enough, then it doesn't matter how old you are. I've always firmly believed in that myself, and I'm just glad I've got my chance.
    "Maybe in the past, 'keepers have traditionally been a lot older, but there are some top young goalkeepers around now and that's very important.
    "I want to stay at this club for a long, long time and, hopefully, because I am still only 23, I can do that.
    "I am loving life, and going to places like Old Trafford is special.
    "Every game is bringing new challenges for me and it's up to me to keep rising to those challenges. I'm very pleased with my game at the moment and with the way things are going. To be honest, I couldn't have wished for better.
    "We are answering a lot of questions as a team this season and everyone is playing their part."
    Krul also hopes his form for Newcastle can help him overtake Roma's Maarten Stekelenburg and Swansea's Michel Vorm ahead of Euro 2012, where Holland are among the favourites to win the competition.
    Asked about the European Championship, Krul said: "To be in the squad for Euro 2012 would be the icing on the cake after what will hopefully be a successful season with Newcastle.
    "I can't rest on my laurels and I can't allow myself to relax, because I know Steve Harper and Rob Elliot are there to push me.
    "I can't rest easy because I need to be on top of my game week in, week out."