Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 16-12-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 16-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 16-12-11

Kenny Dalglish: Has options

DALGLISH KEEPING OPTIONS OPEN

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is keeping his options open when it comes to strengthening his squad in the transfer window.
    The Reds boss has lost midfielder Lucas Leiva for the rest of the campaign while captain Steven Gerrard has made just five appearances this season, the last of which came in late October.
    Dalglish insists the England international is progressing well in his recovery from an ankle problem, but no timescale has been put on his return and options in central midfield are slim at the moment.
    With Jay Spearing serving the second of a three-match ban for his red card at Fulham last week, the likelihood is mainstay Charlie Adam will again be joined by Jordan Henderson for Sunday's match at Aston Villa, as the two were paired together for last weekend's win over QPR.
    Jonjo Shelvey, following his recall from loan at npower Championship side Blackpool, is there as cover, but speculation has inevitably begun about what Dalglish will do next month.
    However, the Scot refused to discuss even if he was considering buying anyone when the window opens.
    "We have the option to add if we want to, but we also have another option that we don't have to," he said.
    Dalglish, backed by owners Fenway Sports Group, has spent heavily in the two transfer windows since he took charge at Anfield for a second time last January.
    Those personnel changes have seen performances improve even from the second half of last season.
    But with one of the lowest goal-to-chance conversion ratios of all the top-flight clubs there have been suggestions in recent weeks that, with 35million striker Andy Carroll still not playing regularly, Dalglish needs a goalscorer.
    Former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres' struggles at Chelsea, where he moved in January for a record 50million, has led to obvious - but unlikely - links being made with a return to Anfield.
    Dalglish said last month he did not doubt FSG would provide more transfer funds if required.
    But for the moment he is intent on keeping a lid on the rumours which lead to the inevitable long list of potential targets.
    "We don't speculate on anybody - either our own players or somebody else's players," he added.
    "It doesn't matter what we say, there is going to be speculation in the newspapers - but we won't be here to answer every question that's in newspapers.
    "We'll do our business the way we've been brought up to do our business and that's privately behind closed doors."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 16-12-11

Graham Dorrans: Wanted by Hodgson

HODGSON KEEN TO KEEP DORRANS

Roy Hodgson insists West Brom have "no interest" in selling midfielder Graham Dorrans who has been linked with a move to Rangers.
    Head coach Hodgson, whose side visit Blackburn on Saturday, is adamant there has been no contact with the Glasgow giants or any other club regarding selling Dorrans.
    He is predicting Dorrans will become a leading performer for the Baggies after an injury-hit 2011.
    Hodgson said: "I think Graham has an important part to play at the club. The speculation about Rangers, that's all it is really.
    "We've had no contact with anybody from any other club, let alone Glasgow Rangers. We've got no interest in losing Graham Dorrans.
    "You want to keep your best players you don't want to see them go. He's a good player."
    Hodgson believes Dorrans can make his mark in the Premier League.
    He said: "Dorrans has missed a lot of football since that wonderful season where he became Championship player of the year.
    "His Premier League time has been a bit unfortunate in terms of injuries but he's free from injury now. He's playing very well and I believe in him very much.
    "He is a Premier League player. There's no question of his qualities."

Uploads

Landon Donovan: Returning to Everton

DONOVAN AGREES EVERTON LOAN SWITCH

United States international Landon Donovan has agreed to join Everton on a two-month loan from MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy, the Barclays Premier League club have announced.
    The agreement, which was reached on Thursday following recent discussions between Everton, LA Galaxy and Major League Soccer, is pending paperwork that needs to be finalised.
    Once that is completed, Donovan is set to join Everton over the Christmas period and would be eligible to face Bolton on January 4.
    The loan deal would last until after the derby against Liverpool on February 25.
    Donovan, 29, had a successful loan spell at Goodison Park for a similar period in 2010.
    He told evertonfc.com: "The opportunity to return to Everton and play for such a well-respected club and a manager that I hold in such high regard was something that was simply too good to pass up.
    "I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Everton in 2010 and I'm hopeful that we can experience similar success this time around.
    "I want to thank David Moyes and Bruce Arena, as well as executives from both clubs and Major League Soccer for allowing me this unique and special opportunity."
    Everton manager Moyes added: "I am delighted that we have managed to get Landon back. He will give us some good experience over January and February.
    "He did well for us when he was over two years ago and hopefully will return with those same qualities.
    "His season has just finished and like last time we need him to hit the ground running because the games come thick and fast at this time of year."
    Donovan, who counts German sides Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen among his former clubs, captained LA Galaxy to the MLS Cup this year and led the team in scoring with 16 goals in all competitions.
    He is the Galaxy's all-time leading scorer and the third-leading scorer in the history of MLS, while he has also netted a national record 46 goals in 138 appearances for the United States.
    LA Galaxy general manager and head coach Bruce Arena said on his club's website: "This is a great opportunity for Landon.
    "During the final months of the 2011 season he was limited because of an ongoing injury and he just started to get his legs back during the play-offs. Therefore, I think that this opportunity with Everton comes at a perfect time as he is rested and ready to go.
    "We wish Landon and Everton the very best and look forward to Landon returning to the Galaxy on February 26."

Uploads

Tevez: Wanted by PSG

PSG - NO OFFER FOR TEVEZ YET

Paris St Germain sporting director Leonardo insists the ambitious French club have yet to make a formal offer for Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez.
    Leonardo recently revealed that PSG had enquired about the Argentina international, who is poised to leave City when the transfer window reopens next month.
    City boss Roberto Mancini wants a permanent departure for Tevez after AC Milan revealed that an offer to take the 27-year-old on loan with a view to buying had been rejected.
    Milan remain favourites to sign Tevez after owner Silvio Berlusconi urged the player to move to the San Siro for footballing reasons rather than accept the bigger contract which would been on offer at PSG.
    However, with Milan suggesting they are unlikely to change their offer reports in France claim PSG are preparing to bid 25million (21m) to take Tevez to Parc des Princes.
    Leonardo, though, says PSG are still considering their position and have not put an offer to either Tevez or Premier League leaders City.
    "For Carlos Tevez, we have never made a formal offer to him or to the club for that matter," said Leonardo in L'Equipe.
    Milan's Serie A rivals Juventus are the latest club to have been linked with Tevez and speculation has claimed the Old Lady are willing to meet City's reported 30m (25.2m) asking price.
    Tottenham Hotspur were also mooted as a destination for Tevez, but manager Harry Redknapp says any move for the former Manchester United attacker is unlikely.

Uploads

Asamoah Gyan: Former Sunderland striker

SUNDERLAND TOLD TO FORGET GYAN

Sunderland have been told to forget their plans to bring striker Asamoah Gyan back to the Stadium of Light by Al Ain.
    The Ghana international joined the United Arab Emirates outfit in the summer transfer window on a season-long loan but had been linked with a possible Wearside return in recent days.
    New manager Martin O'Neill admitted he was considering a possible return for Gyan after being brought in to replace Steve Bruce, but it has now been reported that the Black Cats have no recall option on the 26-year-old.
    And Al Ain manager Cosmin Olaroiu believes the striker, who has scored seven goals in as many games for his new club, will not be returning to his parent side.
    "I think he feels good here, we supported him to get back into shape and to do good things for the national team in the African Nations Cup," Olaroiu told The Times.
    "It is also my opinion that he feels something for this team and for the people who work with him, and he will remain here."
    Sunderland fans were less than impressed by the manner of Gyan's departure, given the timing of his exit, the standard of the club he moved to, and the hole it left in Bruce's striking options.
    And the forward has refused to be drawn on what his plans are for when the loan deal concludes at the end of this season.
    Gyan said recently: "For now, I can't really say anything about Sunderland.
    "I am on loan for a year so we will have to see what happens at the end of the season. I am doing well. So let's see where my future lies after my loan deal."

Uploads

Scott Allan: Backed for England move by Neilson

NEILSON: ALLAN CAN SUCCEED IN ENGLAND

Defender Robbie Neilson believes team-mate Scott Allan is one of a number of talented youngsters at Dundee United who could thrive in England, as the 20-year-old appears set for a move away from Tannadice.
    United are believed to have agreed a fee, reportedly around 400,000, to sell midfielder Allan to West Brom in January, with Rangers and Celtic also rumoured to be interested in the player, whose contract expires in the summer.
    Allan has made seven first-team appearances for United and turned down the offer of a contract extension earlier this season.
    He is just one of a number of United's squad who could perform well if they followed former team-mates David Goodwillie and Craig Conway in moving from the Clydesdale Bank Premier League to the Barclays Premier League or npower Championship, according to Neilson.
    The former Scotland international, who has played for Hearts and Leicester, said: "If he can get himself a move down there it's a great move for him.
    "There's quite a few boys here who have got the ability to go down there. It's just about getting a chance to go down.
    "It shows how well not just United, but Scotland, is doing.
    "There are a lot of young boys going down south now, doing well and starting to break into the first teams in the Championship and the Premier League.
    "If they can learn their trade and do well here it's a stepping stone to go to a team down south."
    Neilson, meanwhile, would encourage his young team-mates to take the opportunity if offered the chance to play in the London Olympic Games.
    The English Football Association were on Thursday set to write to every potential player for the Great Britain team including those in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, despite those national governing bodies' fierce resistance towards a UK-wide side.
    The 31-year-old said: "It's a difficult one with the SFA and things, but if the young Scottish boys get the opportunity to go and play there I think they should.
    "It gets their profile up and it gets the profile of the SPL up which can only be good in the long run."
    United take on Kilmarnock on Saturday, seeking to build on the win at Inverness which saw them come from two goals down to win 3-2.
    Neilson, who joined in November and is contracted to United until the end of the season, said: "It's a difficult game. They're doing well.
    "It's very tight the league - two wins and you're in the top six, two losses and you're near the bottom.
    "We've been on a decent run so far. We just need to keep winning."

Uploads

Brendan Rodgers: We are a group that has grown

RODGERS NOT CONCERNED BY DEPARTURES

Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers says he has no concerns that key members of his squad could leave the club during the upcoming January transfer window.
    The Swans are 11th in the Barclays Premier League table following last weekend's 2-0 win over Fulham, having made an encouraging start to life in the top flight both in terms of results and their renowned passing style.
    Several players have stood out during the opening months of the campaign. Midfielder Joe Allen has excelled while goalkeeper Michel Vorm has performed heroics since joining from FC Utrecht for a bargain fee of 1.5million.
    Centre-half Ashley Williams and winger Nathan Dyer have also looked assured having made the step up from the npower Championship, but Rodgers is not worried that their impressive form may attract the unwanted attention of their Premier League rivals.
    "I have to be honest, I have no concerns whatsoever," said the Northern Irishman, who says he has not had any enquiries for any members of his squad.
    "I am relaxed, all the players here understand that this is a real good fit for them. We are a team really riding high on confidence, we are a group that has grown.
    "For the likes of a Joe Allen, he will look at himself and know there are not too many better places he could be in European football to develop his game.
    "Joe is coming off his first season playing regularly in the Championship, and he is now a key figure in a team that suits his style perfectly.
    "Joe is going to be a big talent but I have no concerns, he is an intelligent lad who understands where he is at in his career and at 21 he has got 12-13 years left ahead of him.
    "Our good players could play in any team but everything in life is about timing, it's very important and the players are really enjoying it here."
    While he may not be worried about losing some of his best players, Rodgers is keen to strengthen his squad in January, and is close to taking a first step towards that after agreeing a fee for Cliftonville striker Rory Donnelly.
    Personal terms are yet to be agreed for the prolific 19-year-old, who has 17 goals to his name so far this season, but Rodgers hopes a deal can be agreed soon.
    However, the former Reading boss says Swans fans should not expect the Northern Ireland Under-21 cap to be thrown straight into the first team as he looks to make the step up from part-time football.
    He said: "I spoke to the people at Cliftonville at length and they understand that Swansea are making waves and they understand it could be a great club for a young player's development.
    "Over the next couple of days hopefully we can get something organised and more importantly get him across to see the city and club and give him a real feel for Swansea.
    "He will come here with no pressure, the first six months will be all about adapting to professional football. The impact he makes will ultimately be down to him although you do get guys like Kevin Doyle, who came over from Cork and went straight in at Reading and made a big impact."
    While Swansea are sitting solidly in mid-table, they have yet to secure victory on the road.
    The hunt for that elusive victory takes them to St James' Park on Saturday to face a Newcastle side who have had stumbled of late after an excellent start to the season.
    Swansea have bad memories of their last visit to Tyneside, which resulted in a 3-0 defeat in 2009 as Newcastle marched to that season's Championship title.
    However, Rodgers, who has Allen available again after suspension, insists his side make the journey north with "no fear", but rejects the notion that this is a good time to face the Magpies.
    "I have spoken to the staff and players that were involved two years ago, it was the season where they were flying and it was an understandable result. I took Reading there for their first home game of the season and everyone said it was a good time to play them and we lost 3-0 and went on to win the league reasonably comfortably.
    "But the supporters don't score a goal, they are passionate and vocal but it is a wonderful place to go and play and if we look at the team then and now in terms of character it is very different.
    "We go into it with no fear, out motivation is to do well, we have the game to win matches."

Uploads

Sir Alex Ferguson: Couldn't predict relegated threesome

FERGUSON - NO CLUE WHO'LL GO DOWN

Sir Alex Ferguson admits he doesn't have a clue who will go down from the Premier League this season.
    Ferguson's Manchester United side head to QPR on Sunday expecting to meet some firm resistance despite the Londoners' status as a top-flight new-boy.
    Neil Warnock's men have already beaten Chelsea on home soil and became the first team to get their noses in front against Manchester City before eventually suffering a 3-2 loss in a pulsating contest.
    QPR's form has eased them clear of the drop zone, and fellow promoted outfits Norwich and Swansea have followed suit as Lancashire trio Bolton, Blackburn and Wigan find themselves in the mire.
    And with Wolves, Sunderland and Fulham struggling as well, Ferguson accepts it is tough to name the unlucky trio likely to drop through the exit door in May.
    "I could not predict how the bottom half of the league is going to shape out," said Ferguson.
    "There have been many surprises over the years when teams who you never thought would be relegated around January end up doing so.
    "It's so unpredictable. You see the three Lancashire teams down there - Blackburn, Bolton and Wigan. Then there's Sunderland, Fulham too - you couldn't believe they were two points off the bottom part of the league when you think of the spell they've had over the last couple of years.
    "If you lose a few games you are right down the bottom."
    Tony Fernandes' summer takeover at Rangers allowed Neil Warnock to go on a late spending spree, bringing in Joey Barton, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Anton Ferdinand to strengthen a squad already good enough to win the Championship last term.
    "QPR invested the right way - they got players in," said Ferguson.
    "Neil Warnock realised when you get into the big league you need to get better players.
    "That gives them a better chance because it's an unremitting league, particularly for teams coming out of the Championship.
    "Strangely, the three of them - Norwich, Swansea and QPR - have all done well in the first half of the season.
    "But the real test is in the second half."

Uploads

Dyer: Could be out for rest of the season

KIERON DYER TO UNDERGO FOOT OP

Kieron Dyer is unlikely to play for QPR again this season after manager Neil Warnock revealed the injury-plagued midfielder requires another operation on his foot.
    Dyer has not played a competitive game for Rangers since the opening day of the season when he was carried off on a stretcher after injuring the foot on his debut against Bolton.
    The 32-year-old had been making good progress in his rehabilitation from the injury and was expected to return after Christmas.
    The former Newcastle midfielder injured his foot again during a reserve game with Tottenham this week, however, and looks likely to be out for several weeks.
    Warnock is likely to leave Dyer out of his 25-man squad when he re-submits it to the Premier League after the next transfer window shuts, meaning the midfielder may never play for Rangers again.
    "This is a devastating blow for Kieron," Warnock told QPR's website.
    "I have never met a more determined pro in my career, and he really doesn't deserve this.
    "The specialist said he thought Kieron could return before Christmas without the need for an operation and is disappointed that this is not the case, and he has no alternative now but to operate."
    "I have absolutely no doubt that he will recover after the operation," he continued.
    "We are going to support him as best we can because he has got such a contribution to make, both on and off the field.
    "And even though he has not featured for us, he has made a vital contribution at the training ground and has been very important to have around the place."
    While Dyer is unlikely to play again this season, Warnock insists that the Rs will stick by him during his rehabilitation.
    "We are aware that Kieron's contract can be terminated in January," he said.
    "But, having spoke to [chairman] Tony Fernandes and the rest of the shareholders, we want to support Kieron in this time, even though it may mean he is not in our 25 for the rest of the season.
    "I feel he has a lot to offer the club. We will be involving him in many aspects of the club while he rehabilitates."
    Dyer became QPR's second summer signing, penning a one-year deal on the same day as fellow new boy Jay Bothroyd in July.
    The 32-year-old midfielder has been beset by injuries in recent years and was released by relegated West Ham at the end of last season.

Uploads

Ross Barkley: Pens new Everton deal

NEW EVERTON DEAL FOR BARKLEY

Everton teenager Ross Barkley has signed a new four-and-a half-year deal with the club.
    The highly-rated academy graduate made his first-team debut in the Toffees' opening game of the season against QPR.
    He turned 18 a fortnight ago and that made him eligible to sign a lengthy deal to stay at Goodison.
    "We are pleased but obviously not at all surprised that Ross has agreed his first long-term contract with the club," said chairman Bill Kenwright.
    "Ross has recently talked of his commitment to Everton and his growth under the very special guidance of David Moyes, his staff and indeed our senior players.
    "That combination of expertise can only be of benefit to any young footballer."
    Speaking in this month's Evertonian magazine Barkley, who would have made his first-team debut earlier had he not sustained an horrific leg break playing for England Under-19s last season, said he felt manager David Moyes was the ideal person to get the best out of him.
    "I am still only very young and the manager knows what he's doing and what's best for me," he said.
    "He's had young players coming through before.
    "That's what's great about Everton. The manager will always give young players the chance to play at the right time."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast