Channel 5 turns down Freeview HD

11.49 Europe/London, December 16, 2011 By Julian Clover

Channel 5 has told Ofcom it is longer wishes to proceed with its application for the fifth slot on the Freeview HD platform.
The regulator said today that subject to any future Ofcom decision to re-advertise the slot, the capacity will remain with the Multiplex operator BBC Free-to-View Limited and can be used by it for BBC services or services provided by a third party via a commercial arrangement.
The BBC already has an agreement with Arqiva to sell unused capacity on the DTT platform.
Ofcom’s previous award had been due to be made to Channel 5, then owned by RTL, but the DTT allocation committee withdrew the offer in February 2010, allowing BBC One HD to launch the following November.