Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 17-12-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 17-12-11

Trezeguet: Set for South American move

Former France striker David Trezeguet has undergone a medical with River Plate ahead of a proposed move, the Argentinian club have confirmed.
    The 34-year-old was in Buenos Aires on Friday for tests and is expected to sign a two-and-a-half-year contract on Monday.
    After undergoing his medical, he told Argentinian newspaper Ole: "I have to wait for the results, but I could say everything is perfect. Everything went as planned.
    "On Monday, there will be no problem. It will be finalised."
    Trezeguet, who joined Bani Yas from Spanish side Hercules but left the United Arab Emirates team earlier this month after only two appearances, has already set his sights on getting River back in the Argentinian top flight following their shock relegation last season.
    The Frenchman, a World Cup and European Championship winner with Les Bleus, added: "It will be a big thrill to represent River.
    "The goal is to put River back in the first division. I had a similar experience at Juventus.
    "For my part, I am coming to do the same here - trying to get River back where it belongs, which is in the top division. I can bring experience."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 17-12-11

Tony Pulis: Sympathy for McCarthy

Stoke boss Tony Pulis has hit out at the section of Wolves fans calling for the head of manager Mick McCarthy.
    Wolves are in their third successive season of Barclays Premier League football after winning the Championship under McCarthy in 2009, but they host local rivals Stoke on Saturday sitting one place and two points above the relegation zone.
    Pulis will aim to make McCarthy's life harder as the eighth-placed Potters bid for a fourth successive league victory, but he is full of admiration for the job done by his opposite number.
    The Welshman said: "At every football club there's always a section of supporters who are never going to be happy. What hopefully Mick has got is a chairman who is sensible and recognises that there will always be people out there who want more.
    "You can give them everything and they'll still moan and groan, and you have to accept that and accept you have to deal with those situations.
    "There's so many avenues now for people to vent their feelings. When you actually isolate the numbers, it's minor, but they're the ones who make the noise.
    "Hopefully the chairman understands that they've got a real top manager, and a top person as well. I'm sure they do. Mick's a great football man, he's done a remarkable job at that football club.
    "We respect Wolves. We know it's going to be a very tough game. It's a local derby and it'll be a great atmosphere. It's always a tough place to go."
    Stoke travel to Molineux after finishing their Europa League group campaign with their first defeat, a 3-1 loss to Besiktas in Istanbul on Wednesday.
    The Potters had already qualified for the last 32, however, and results elsewhere in the final round of games meant they emerged as the only successful British team.
    They were joined by Champions League third-placed sides Manchester United and Manchester City in Friday's draw, and Stoke got their reward with a glamour tie against Spanish giants Valencia when the competition resumes in February.
    Pulis, whose big wish was the Potters would draw a western European side after several long trips, said: "To be the only club in the country to qualify is a fantastic achievement.
    "I think it's been recognised we had the hardest group and also we travelled further than anybody else as well. It's something everybody at the club should be proud of."
    Pulis, meanwhile, reiterated his stance that Stoke would not be complaining to UEFA about the objects thrown at his players from the stands by Besiktas fans.
    Asked if he thought UEFA should investigate anyway, Pulis said: "I think there's rules for some and rules for others in all associations round the world.
    "I think what suits them, they deal with. We're not going to get involved in it. It happened, we've qualified and we'd rather talk about the positives than the negatives."
    Pulis took a squad of only 15 with him to Istanbul, leaving all 11 players who started the 2-1 victory over Tottenham last weekend behind, and he could revert to that line-up against Wolves on Saturday.
    Full-back Andy Wilkinson is likely to miss out after suffering a recurrence of his back problem against Besiktas, while Ryan Shotton is again expected to be preferred to Jermaine Pennant.
    The winger this week played down talk of a falling out with Pulis after his surprise omission from the squads to face Everton and Tottenham, and Pulis said it is up to Pennant to show he deserves the place more than current incumbent Ryan Shotton.
    "People have mentioned Jermaine all the time but you have to be respectful of Ryan Shotton," added the manager.
    "He's been fantastic out there. He's grasped the opportunity and at the moment I'm picking him on merit."
    Pulis also laughed off the controversy about the towelling vest Shotton wore under his shirt against Tottenham to help him dry the ball before launching long throws.
    He said: "It's not a towel at all but people get paranoid about it. It's pretty funny from within the football club."

Sir Alex Ferguson: Only chasing long-term targets

Sir Alex Ferguson will only make a move in the January transfer window if a long-term target becomes available.
    The Manchester United manager has seen his squad stretched in recent weeks, with Darren Fletcher taking an extended break from the game with ulcerative colitis, Nemanja Vidic ruled out for the season, Anderson battling a long-term knee problem and Javier Hernandez and Tom Cleverley also sidelined.
    Many pundits expect reinforcements next month, but Ferguson has vowed not to panic buy.
    Asked if there would be new arrivals in January, he said: "Not neccessarily. I don't know why people keep going on about it.
    "(I won't buy) unless someone appears we have always been interested in, but there isn't."
    Ferguson also explained the decision to make public the details of Fletcher's illness, after previously passing his absence off on a virus.
    "That was the big decision," he said.
    "It got to the point where we had to address it in a different way. We spoke about a virus to protect Darren but it got to the point people were delving. It was getting uncomfortable so we decided to make it public.
    "He has been in hospital for a few days."
    Ferguson also revealed that striker Dimitar Berbatov was fit after ankle trouble and reserve team midfielder Paul Pogba was in consideration for Sunday's trip to QPR.

Redknapp and van der Vaart together at Tottenham

Rafael van der Vaart hopes Harry Redknapp will stay at Tottenham but admits he is "maybe the right man" to take over as England manager.
    Spurs boss Redknapp is a fancied candidate to succeed Fabio Capello when the Italian steps down after next summer's European Championship.
    Van der Vaart wants the 64-year-old to remain at White Hart Lane but concedes it will be no surprise if he is snapped up by England.
    "I hope Harry is going to stay but, to be honest, I think he is maybe the right man for the [England] job," the Dutchman told The Guardian.
    "The players would accept him...and especially, the people in England, everybody loves him, so I think it is going to be a good move from the England organisation.
    "It would be bad for Tottenham but somebody else would come."
    Van der Vaart has not hesitated in disagreeing with Redknapp's decisions in the past, most notably when the manager did not register him for Spurs' Europa League campaign due to injury.
    The attacking midfielder believes the fact he feels comfortable enough to be honest with Redknapp only underlines his capability as a manager.
    "When your relationship is good, you can tell somebody the truth," he added.
    "It's better to do it like this. To go to him and talk about it rather than go behind his back or say something in the newspapers. You always have to be honest.
    "You get to a certain point and then you say, 'Listen, I don't like it'. I think it's a good thing and I also go home happy. You are not frustrated."

Jermain Defoe: Wants regular action

Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe has hinted he could leave the club if he can't secure a regular place in the side.
    The arrival of fellow frontman Emmanuel Adebayor on loan from Manchester City has put Defoe in the shade at Spurs this season.
    The England frontman has made just six Premier League starts, scoring six goals, and is growing increasingly frustrated.
    He fears a lack of games could hurt his chances of making Fabio Capello's squad for Euro 2012, with the 29-year-old desperate to be involved.
    And the striker has stressed his need to play more, telling The Sun: "I'm 29, I need to play football. It's as simple as that. There's a tournament in the summer.
    "I've been lucky enough to play in one tournament for my country. I want to play in one again as I know if I play in a tournament I'll do well.
    "I am working hard in the gym. I did a lot of work in the summer to get to this position and I'm not going to waste it by sitting on the bench when I know I should play.
    "If I was about 21 I could sit on my hands. But I'm 29 and want to play football now every week."
    Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has made it clear he has no intention of selling Defoe when the transfer window opens next month.
    Defoe added: "It's hard to explain the feeling when you're starting games, scoring, the team is winning and you're not playing in the next game. There's nothing more you can do as a footballer.
    "If you're playing well and scoring and, the most important thing, the team is winning, and you are not being picked again, it's difficult. What else am I supposed to do?
    "It's well documented that I've been in the team, scored goals and then been taken out of the team. For whatever reason, I don't know.
    "It's out of my hands. What can I say? I can just do what I've got to do and make sure when I play, I play well. That's it really."

Robin van Persie: Has a fan in Lescott

Joleon Lescott admits he would love Manchester City to try to prise striker Robin van Persie away from title rivals Arsenal.
    The Blues defender would be happy if City used their financial power to buy the Dutchman, who has just 18 months left on his contract at the Emirates.
    With talks over a new Gunners deal for the 28-year-old on hold until later in the season, Lescott insists a player like Van Persie would only add to the quality already at the Etihad Stadium.
    Emmanuel Adebayor, Kolo Toure, Gael Clichy and Samir Nasri have swapped Arsenal for Manchester in recent years and Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will be desperate not to let Van Persie leave North London.
    Lescott told The Sun: "I wouldn't swap him for any of our strikers - but I'd take him as well.
    "We'd welcome any great players here and he is one. He's the man for Arsenal at the moment and he's obviously their main goal threat.
    "He's right up there with the best strikers around. As a forward you get judged on goals so at the moment he's the best in the league.
    "He can score all sorts of goals, with either foot. His work-rate for the team is great as well."
    While Lescott is a big fan of Van Persie, City skipper Vincent Kompany is not fazed at the prospect of facing the Premier League's top scorer on Sunday.
    Van Persie heads to City with 15 league goals to his name, part of an overall tally of 19 for the season and 33 in 2011.
    Kompany said: "It is not like it has been any different in the previous weeks.
    "I have gone from Mario Gomez to Wayne Rooney to Edinson Cavani to Didier Drogba and now Robin van Persie. The list of names doesn't stop.
    "It is a tough world for defenders sometimes but I enjoy it all the more when I play against strong opponents.
    "We have played Chelsea, Tottenham, United and Liverpool, all away from home," he said.
    "It doesn't come any harder than that in the Premier League. We still have Arsenal away but after that we will be the favourites in most of the games we are going to play. That is where we might have an advantage."
    The squad manager Roberto Mancini has pieced together also helps.
    For instance, this weekend, when Aleksandar Kolarov is missing with a groin injury and Gael Clichy is serving a one-match suspension following his red card on Monday, the return of Micah Richards allows Mancini to switch versatile South American Pablo Zabaleta into the left-back berth without any head scratching whatsoever.
    It represents a depth of talent that goes far beyond any of City's rivals, and hints at the potential for those involved in the title race to be whittled down pretty quickly.
    Not that Kompany bears a grudge against those desperate to see the Blues slip just to make life interesting.
    "I don't blame anyone," he said. "I have no problem with it.
    "It is good that the league has now got more than just two or three contenders. Maybe there are five or six and that is good for everyone.
    "Everyone is speaking about the Premier League because they know there is so much at stake.
    "But the way I have seen us behaving in these games so far this season, we really just need to look at ourselves and not think too much about who else there is.
    "We have every reason to think we can go all the way."
    Nevertheless, Arsenal represent a formidable challenge given their recent record of seven wins and a draw from their last eight fixtures following an atrocious start to the season.
    "I have a lot of respect for Arsenal," said Kompany.
    "They are going really well and definitely one of the best teams in the Premier League at the moment.
    "But the bigger the challenge, the better we are.
    "In that way, maybe it is a good game for us."

Arsene Wenger: 'Pained' by exits

Arsene Wenger feels he was always brave to give young players a chance with Arsenal - and that it was "painful" to see big-spending Manchester City raid his squad again last summer.
    Midfielder Samir Nasri, 24, and full-back Gael Clichy, 26, followed striker Emmanuel Adebayor and centre-half Kolo Toure from Emirates Stadium to join the Blues, who have set the pace at the top of the Barclays Premier League.
    After taking a chance to bring all of those players through with the Gunners, Wenger admits there will always be a sense of frustration at potential lost.
    "At the end of the day when you sell a player, you cannot complain after because at some stage you say 'yes we let him go' and you have to do the right thing for the club, but it is always painful to lose players at 23 or 24 years old," he said.
    "The financial difference between us and teams like Manchester City has become too big to hope to keep the players for eight, nine or 10 years.
    "Okay, we lost Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira, other players before, but they had played for eight or nine years at the club.
    "It is the first time now that we lose players at an age where they start to produce, like [Cesc] Fabregas and Nasri, who were both 24 years old. That's where you start to become a football player."
    Wenger added: "You need to be brave as well to put a player in at 18 years of age, and you need to make room for them, which means you not only need to stand up for the players you put in, but as well you have to kick somebody out."
    While Wenger may be looking to the future with a young squad, the Arsenal manager maintains he has not given serious thought to a possible return for former captain Henry, who has been training at the club following the end of the Major League Soccer campaign with the New York Red Bulls.
    "I haven't even investigated that. I cannot tell you even if there is a chance because I haven't even made any approach, nor to him nor his club," said Wenger, who played down reports he would move for FC Koln's German striker Lukas Podolski in January.
    "I do not always master all my thoughts, so [I guess] it has to come through my brain at some stage - but I haven't been concrete on the case."
    Fired by the goals of in-form captain Robin van Persie, Arsenal head to City on the back of seven wins from the last eight league games which have lifted them back up to within striking distance of the top four.
    "There is a good, good spirit there. I am sure we will give absolutely 100%," said Wenger.
    "The game on Sunday will show how far we can go. I am sure this group will fight to go as far as they can."

Connor Wickham: Linked with Spurs last summer

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp would have signed Connor Wickham this summer had it not been for the hefty price tag Ipswich placed on him.
    Wickham was linked with Liverpool and Tottenham last season, but ended up moving to the Stadium of Light for a fee of 8million that could rise to 12million.
    The England Under-21 international struggled to break in to Steve Bruce's first team following his move to the north east, but was chosen to lead the line in Martin O'Neill's first game in charge last week and impressed, helping the Wearsiders come from behind to beat Blackburn 2-1.
    The 18-year-old could start up front for Sunderland in Sunday's visit to north London, but had it not been for the large sum Ipswich demanded for the striker, Wickham may well have found himself turning out for the home side at White Hart Lane instead.
    "We kept looking at him. We watched him dozens of times and we liked him but we felt it was a lot of money for him," Redknapp said.
    "We have young players here like Harry Kane. He is a bit younger, we like him and we didn't feel we wanted to pay that money for Wickham."
    O'Neill ended his 16-month absence from the game two weeks ago when he took over at Sunderland following the departure of Bruce.
    The former Leicester boss cut an excited figure on the touchline last weekend as his team came from behind to beat Steve Kean's strugglers and Redknapp thinks O'Neill has the foundations in place to make the club a force again.
    "This is a real opportunity for him to have a go at something," Redknapp said.
    "Martin will be jumping up and down on the touchline in front of us on Sunday. He has been out for a while. I am sure he is pleased to be back.
    "He has had a few opportunities but didn't take them. Sunderland is a great club. For those of us who have been around a long time, we all know what a big club Sunderland is, they have great support there."
    Bruce left Sunderland after beginning the season poorly despite spending over 20million on 11 players this summer.
    The former Birmingham boss had taken the club to the edge of the relegation zone before he left, and Redknapp thinks his failure in the transfer market was his undoing.
    "They made some big signings in the summer. They took the boy from Ipswich, Connor Wickham, which was quite big money, but they didn't get the results," Redknapp said.
    Redknapp will be hoping to end a turbulent week for him and his team on a high against the Black Cats.
    The 64-year-old saw his team's 11-match unbeaten run come to an end at Stoke last Sunday and then received a letter warning him about his future conduct on Tuesday following his post-match criticism of referee Chris Foy.
    Redknapp found himself at the centre of controversy again two days later after appearing to aim a clenched-fist gesture towards Shamrock Rovers fans after they verbally abused him throughout Tottenham's 4-0 victory in Dublin - a result which was still not enough to prevent an early Europa League exit.
    Redknapp made nine changes from the team that lost to Stoke for the game in Dublin but will revert to his first-choice line-up at White Hart Lane.
    Ledley King could miss his third consecutive game after struggling to recover from a knock he took to his problematic knee in training a fortnight ago.
    King has exceeded expectations by playing nine games this season - the number he played in the whole of last season - but Redknapp is unsure if he will be able to give his captain a new contract if his chronic knee problems persist.
    "He is going well but it depends how his knee goes between now and the end of the season," Redknapp said.
    "When he is fit he is as good as anyone in the country but he needs to be playing 20 games a year otherwise it's difficult (to give him a new contract)."

Paul Pogba: Subject of interest by other clubs

Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted Manchester United are finding Paul Pogba's agent "difficult" to deal with.
    The 18-year-old only arrived at Old Trafford from Le Havre in 2009 amid a huge amount of controversy, yet it appears he is already getting itchy feet.
    A member of last season's FA Youth Cup winning side, Pogba has so far spurned United's offer of a contract extension amid rumours that Italian giants Inter Milan are interested in acquiring his services.
    Manchester City have also been linked with the teenager, who is often compared to fellow Frenchman Patrick Vieira in his playing style, and who made three substitute appearances on United's run to the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup this term.
    Contrary to previous reports, which suggested Pogba's contract expires in the summer, Ferguson revealed United have a 12 month option on the present deal.
    However, talks over an improvement in Pogba's terms are not progressing smoothly.
    "Pogba has an agent who has obviously become a bit difficult," said the United boss.
    "But we are negotiating and we want the boy to stay.
    "If he doesn't want to there is not a lot you can do about it. You just hope he gets the right advice.
    "We have an option on his contract so in that respect there is not a great emergency. But if he wants to be a Manchester United player he knows what to do."
    The suggestion seems to be that Pogba has been offered more money elsewhere.
    Given his lack of experience, United are unlikely to match those lucrative terms.
    However, Ferguson has offered some fairly straightforward advice for the teenager, who is set to be propelled into United's Premier League squad over Christmas following confirmation Darren Fletcher is going to be missing for an indefinite period due to a chronic inflammatory bowel condition.
    "Matt Busby summed it up perfectly when he said you don't need to chase money at a club like Manchester United," said Ferguson.
    "He said it will eventually find you if you are a good enough player.
    "You become rich playing for Manchester United. Players can chase money early in their career but at the end it is not the same as if they'd stayed here.
    "The player has to take the decision himself but you wouldn't think you'd need to consider what he has too long.
    "He just needs to look around him to realise."
    As Tom Cleverley and Anderson were on the long-term injury list before Fletcher was struck down, Ferguson is short of options for the pre-Christmas trips to QPR and Fulham.
    Even in Ferguson's long time as manager, it is unusual to encounter such a list of significant problems in one specific area of the field.
    However, with Fletcher, it was an issue that had been rumbling on for some time.
    United initially dismissed the Scot's absence in March as "a virus", maintaining that stance even when Fletcher failed to return for six weeks and then missed the summer tour of America.
    When he sat out the Champions League defeat to Basle last week, even though Phil Jones and Ryan Giggs were paired together in central midfield, there was no point maintaining the pretence.
    "It's easier now it's out in the open," said Ferguson. "That was the big decision he had to make.
    "We were trying to address the confidentiality part by talking about a virus but that was to protect Darren.
    "He got to the position, particularly in Scotland where there was more delving, where he felt a bit uncomfortable so he decided to make it public."
    Ferguson confirmed there was no timescale to Fletcher's recovery programme, and that the 27-year-old has spent a couple of days in hospital.
    "The medical people have made the right decision," he said.
    "They regarded Darren's health as the more important issue and we agree completely with that.
    "He's not been in training - he was in hospital for a few days, and he'll rest now."
    Ferguson has previously stated he expects Cleverley to have recovered from an ankle injury at some stage over the festive programme.
    It is not anticipated the Yorkshireman will be fit to face QPR at Loftus Road on Sunday.
    Yet still there is no intention for Ferguson to enter the transfer market.
    "We are not panicking," he said.
    "There is no point crying about it. You have the injuries and you deal with them.
    "We have players who are capable of wearing the red jersey and we have complete confidence they can do well."

Hooper: Thriving at Celtic

Gary Hooper is keen to extend his stay at Celtic.
    The 14-goal striker has 18 months remaining on his current contract with the Parkhead club holding a further year's option.
    However, Hooper, who turns 24 next month, has given a clear message to Hoops chief executive Peter Lawwell and manager Neil Lennon that he wants to discuss a longer deal.
    Hooper told a number of newspapers: "I would be keen to talk.
    "I'm just here to score goals and to win games. But I would be happy to stay and sign a contract. I couldn't be happier in Glasgow."
    Hooper, a 2.4million buy from Scunthorpe in the summer of 2010, scored 22 goals last season and netted in Thursday night's 1-1 Europa League draw against Udinese in Italy, albeit it was not enough to keep the Parkhead club in the competition.
    "I feel I've improved as a player at Celtic because I am more of the type to get on the ball now and create things, as well as scoring as many as I can," he said.
    "I'm still learning things every day from the people here.
    "I didn't know if I'd settle in so quickly, but I also didn't realise just how big Celtic was until I got here.
    "I settled in well by scoring a few early goals and the supporters have helped because they have been great with me. It's going well."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast