Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 22-12-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 22-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 22-12-11

Luka Modric: Spurs star

REDKNAPP - MODRIC'S ALL RIGHT WITH US

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is confident that Luka Modric will not push for a move to Chelsea next month and is adamant that the playmaker is not for sale at any price.
    Modric was the focus of a summer-long battle between Tottenham and Chelsea, who made at least three offers for the player - the last one reported to be worth 40million.
    The Croatian infuriated the White Hart Lane faithful by publicly declaring he wanted to leave for the club's London rivals, but Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy refused to budge, and the 26-year-old remained.
    Although Chelsea have struggled under Andre Villas-Boas this term, dropping to fourth thanks to erratic form, the Blues can still offer the midfielder Champions League football and a huge pay rise that would see the player treble his wages.
    Redknapp admits talk of a move to the Blues distracted the player this summer - a fact that became apparent when he pleaded with the Spurs boss not to play him against Manchester City in August.
    The 64-year-old is adamant that Modric has put the move out of his mind now, however, and does not expect his head to be turned by talk of a renewed bid from Chelsea when the transfer window opens in 11 days' time.
    "I don't expect Luka to want to go anywhere. I think the Chelsea deal is dead," Redknapp said.
    "He's happy here. I don't know where he's at with his contract talks with the chairman but I'm sure they'll get something done.'
    "I don't see there being a problem with Luka. No matter what Chelsea offer, he isn't going. Not a chance."
    To underline his desire to move to Chelsea, Modric gave three interviews in which he lavished praise upon the Blues this summer.
    Modric hinted Tottenham did not have the potential to fill his ambitions, describing Chelsea as a "great club" who had a serious chance of winning the league.
    That may have annoyed Spurs fans, but the irony is that with half of the season gone, the north London outfit are better positioned of the two teams to realise that aim thanks to their recent form.
    Since the 5-1 loss to City Spurs have lost one, drawn one and won 11.
    The run has seen them climb to third in the table, and they will pull five points clear of Chelsea with a match in hand if they beat their neighbours at White Hart Lane on Thursday.
    Redknapp hopes Modric, who is in discussions with the club over a new deal, now realises that Spurs are a club who are destined for great things.
    "This is a good club. This is a club building a new stadium, a new training ground. It's a club that's going places," Redknapp said.
    "They're both good clubs. We've closed the gap, definitely, on Arsenal and Chelsea from where we were. We're now up there trying to finish above Arsenal for the second time in the Premier League.
    "The potential is great, we sell out every week. We've got good players.
    "I would love to see us perhaps make one big signing. That would really send out a message too."
    Chelsea have been rocked by the news that the Crown Prosecution Service will prosecute captain John Terry over his alleged racial abuse of Anton Ferdinand.
    Terry, who has vowed to clear his name, will appear at West London Magistrates Court on February 1 after being charged with a racially aggravated public order offence for comments he is alleged to have made towards the QPR defender during the match between the two sides at Loftus Road on October 23.
    It is not the first time Terry has been at the centre of controversy throughout his career and Redknapp thinks the England captain has not been affected recently by the furore caused by the allegations.
    Speaking before the CPS' announced their decision, Redknapp said: "Nothing seems to have affected his performances on the pitch. He can have all the aggro and he comes out and plays and he just seems to be the same.
    "I remember the problem Leeds had (when Lee Bowyer and Jonathan Woodgate were charged with GBH). Bowyer was coming out of court, playing in European games and being the best player. Woodgate was in bits. He couldn't handle anything. It just affects people differently."
    Redknapp says Gareth Bale is "very doubtful" for Thursday's game with an ankle injury while Ledley King (knee), Jermain Defoe (hamstring) and Emmanuel Adebayor (foot) are also doubts.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 22-12-11

Jack Rodwell: Everton midfielder

AVB PLAYS DOWN RODWELL LINK

Andre Villas-Boas insists Chelsea will not be trying to buy Jack Rodwell when the transfer window reopens.
    The Blues were this week linked with a 20million bid for Everton midfielder Rodwell, who made his senior England debut last month.
    Toffees boss David Moyes said on Tuesday there had been no offers from Chelsea for the 20-year-old, and Villas-Boas reaffirmed that on Wednesday.
    "I saw that we'd been linked with him," he said.
    "First, it's important to clarify that it's unfair that I constantly comment on other players.
    "In midfield, we don't need players. Rodwell has been playing there this season.
    "Midfield is not a sector where we're desperate to strengthen our squad. So at the moment those stories are false."
    Villas-Boas also reiterated Chelsea would not resurrect their bid to sign Luka Modric next month but he refused to rule out another attempt some time in the future.
    The Blues had more than one big-money offer for Tottenham playmaker Modric snubbed this summer and will come up against him in Thursday night's Barclays Premier League game at White Hart Lane.
    "In the future, I don't know about Modric," Villas-Boas said.
    "We're not looking at it at the moment.
    "He's an extremely creative player, one of the greatest talents in the world, a player who will have tremendous success."
    Chelsea's midfield will be reinforced in January by the return of Michael Essien from a long-term knee injury.
    That could be the cue for 18-year-old Josh McEachran to be sent out on loan, with Swansea having already declared an interest.
    "It's fair to say we have to look at some proposals for Josh's loan," Villas-Boas said.
    "His playing time has not been much.
    "But, because of his talent, it's not 100% sure that we'd send him out on loan, even if clubs come in for him."

Uploads

Chris Riggott: Leaving Derby

DERBY PART WITH RIGGOTT

Derby defender Chris Riggott has had his contract with the club cancelled by mutual consent.
    The 31-year-old began his career with the Rams in 1999 before moving on to Middlesbrough and Cardiff.
    After being on the sidelines with long-term injury problems, Riggott returned to the east midlands over the summer on a one-year deal.
    But after failing to make a single appearance in Nigel Clough's side, the two parties have agreed to go their separate ways.

Uploads

Choi Kang-hee: New South Korea coach

SHORT-TERM KOREA PLAN FOR CHOI

New South Korea coach Choi Kang-hee wants to lead the national team through qualification for the 2014 World Cup and then step down to return to club management.
    Choi was appointed on Wednesday and succeeds Cho Kwang-rae, who was dismissed on December 8 following poor results.
    After seven seasons with Jeonbuk Motors and two K-league titles and the 2006 AFC Champions League triumph, Choi was reluctant to leave the current champions to take the national team coaching job and told a press conference in Seoul on Thursday that he hopes to Jeonju.
    "I have requested that I be replaced before the World Cup if we get that far," he said.
    "The saddest part is to leave Jeonbuk and that is why I refused the job at first. Even until a week ago, I didn't even think at all that I would be leaving Jeonbuk.
    "I thought about it a lot and it is not a case of goodbye but so long. The contract with the national team will end in June 2013. Personally, I want to return to Jeonbuk."
    November's loss in Lebanon not only cost Cho Kwang-rae his job but left the 2002 World Cup semi-finalists needing a point against Kuwait on February 29 to be sure of a place in the final phase of qualification.
    "The game against Kuwait is the most important thing," Choi said. "I think that I should select more K-league players than overseas player as those overseas are not playing so much for their clubs and can lose some of their sharpness."

Uploads

Juan Carlos Garrido: Sacked

GARRIDO SACKED AFTER CUP EXIT

Juan Carlos Garrido has been sacked as Villarreal coach following Wednesday evening's Copa del Rey exit at the hands of third-tier Mirandes.
    The Yellow Submarine went down 2-0 at El Madrigal against the Segunda B outfit in the second leg of their fourth-round tie to crash out of the cup 3-1 on aggregate.
    The defeat, coupled with the team's precarious position of 17th in the Primera Division, prompted the club's board to dispense with Garrido's services.
    Villarreal also endured a terrible Champions League campaign, becoming the first Spanish side to lose all six group stage matches.
    A Villarreal statement read: "Juan Carlos Garrido has tonight stopped being the coach of Villarreal's first team after the 2-0 cup defeat against Mirandes.
    "The club thanks the Valencian tactician for all his efforts and dedication and wishes him luck in his future career.
    "His successor has not yet been confirmed."

The 42-year-old, who had been at the club for 14 years in various capacities, took up the first-team reins in February 2010, initially until the end of that season.
    Garrido guided the team to a seventh-place finish in La Liga in 2009/10, before clinching fourth spot and Champions League qualification in his first full campaign at the helm.
    Villarreal also reached the semi-finals of the Europa League last season, where they were ousted by eventual winners Porto.

Uploads

Andros Townsend: New Spurs contract

TOWNSEND SIGNS NEW SPURS DEAL

Tottenham youngster Andros Townsend has signed a new contract to keep him at the club until 2016.
    The 20-year-old played his first full game for the club against Charlton in the FA Cup third round last season, scoring a goal in the process.
    He has built up his playing experience during a series of loan spell with the likes of Leyton Orient, Ipswich and Millwall.
    But Harry Redknapp has begun to use him more frequently of late, with Townsend finding the net in the 4-0 win at Shamrock Rovers in the Europa League.

Uploads

Scott Allan: Appears to favour West Brom

ALLAN IN LINE FOR ALBION MOVE

Dundee United midfielder Scott Allan appears set for a move to Barclays Premier League side West Brom in January.
    United manager Peter Houston is refusing to discuss the futures of individual players, preferring to focus on Saturday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Hibernian.
    But Houston hinted Allan's preference is for a switch to Albion, who last week agreed a fee believed to be in the region of 400,000 for the 20-year-old, who is out of contract at Tannadice at the end of the season.
    Allan, who has also been linked with Rangers and Celtic, has made just seven appearances for United, but has featured in the first team since October.
    Meanwhile, Allan's fellow midfielder Danny Swanson is set to return to training on Boxing Day following a knee injury.
    The 24-year-old has been out with medial ligament damage since the October 15 loss at Aberdeen.
    Swanson and Scott Severin, who is recovering from a broken leg, remain the only absentees for Saturday's Christmas Eve clash with Hibs at Tannadice, with Scott Robertson today returning to training following a bout of illness this week.
    In their last seven games, United's two losses have come against Rangers and Celtic, while they have had wins over Dunfermline, Hearts and Inverness and draws at Motherwell and Kilmarnock.
    Houston's men take on St Mirren next Wednesday and Aberdeen on January 2, but the United boss is at present unconcerned by being seventh in the table.
    He added: "I wasn't making a great deal of it when we were a couple of points off the bottom and I certainly won't be looking at the table over Christmas dinner worrying about top six, seventh or eighth.
    "It's the end of the season that counts."

Uploads

Fernando Torres: Says Liverpool 'lied'

FERNANDO TORRES: LIVERPOOL 'LIED'

Fernando Torres claims Liverpool were not honest about his departure from the club.
    The Chelsea striker left Anfield in January for a British-record 50million fee.
    And the Spaniard told Canal+ Liga TV that the version of the story that has been told to the public is not true.
    "The Liverpool fans don't know the truth about why I signed for Chelsea," he said
    "The fans don't even know half of what happened. They don't know what the people in charge at Liverpool are like - they have a completely different perception of what they are like.
    "They made promises that they didn't keep and I left because I realised I didn't have time to be part of a project that would take years.
    "I have nothing against the Liverpool fans. I didn't want to leave Liverpool the way I did but the club lied. I was let down and I don't understand why the fans hate me."
    And of his current struggles at Chelsea, for whom he has scored just three times in the league since arriving, Torres said: "It's true that Vicente Del Bosque is worried about me and my form for Chelsea. It's up to me to go back to being the striker I was before.
    "If I go back to how I was a few years ago, I will again play an important role in the Spanish national team.
    "I am going to try to be very humble and get back into the Chelsea starting line-up. My form has not been good but I am world and European champion and I deserve more respect.
    "It's hard being on the bench but I respect the players who are playing. I'm going to support the team and get back in."

Uploads

Pep Guardiola: No need for panic

GUARDIOLA CALM OVER NEW DEAL

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has insisted his decision over a new contract is not dependent on the club continuing to win trophies.
    Guardiola's current deal expires at the end of the season and he has yet to announce whether he will pen a fresh agreement, but urged people not to panic over the situation.
    He said on www.fcbarcelona.cat: "People need to be calm. I know what I'm doing. I know when I have to do it and how it needs to be done."
    Barca's Club World Cup triumph last weekend, secured with a 4-0 final victory over Santos in Yokohama, was the team's 13th title since Guardiola took up the reins in summer 2008.
    The 40-year-old former Spain midfielder claimed the constant questioning on his future did not bother him, clarifying that winning more titles "has nothing to do with my decision".
    He added: "It always helps the stability of the club. When I make that decision I will contact the president [Sandro Rosell]."
    Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho earlier this week played down Barca's achievement in Japan, appearing to scoff at the feat, offering sarcastic congratulations for winning "two little games" and stating he would prefer to win the Champions League.
    Guardiola was gracious when asked for his thoughts on the Portuguese's comments, saying: "The Madrid manager wanted to congratulate us, and we thank him. Everything he says is given too much importance. There are no problems."
    He added: "He has every liberty to opine. He said the Champions League is more important than the Club World Cup, and he's right."
    The only sour note of Barca's recent trip to Japan was the broken shinbone suffered by striker David Villa in the semi-final win over Al-Sadd.
    Guardiola visited the 30-year-old Spain forward, who underwent surgery on Monday and is expected to be sidelined for four to five months, and revealed he was in good spirits.
    "Villa is very encouraged, lively," said the Barca boss.
    "This will make him stronger and prolong his career. He'll realise how lucky he is and he'll take everything on with much more desire."
    Guardiola also confirmed he had no plans to send forward Isaac Cuenca out on loan in the second half of the campaign.
    "Because we lost Villa, I'm sure he'll be with us until the end of the season," he added.

Uploads

Kris Boyd: 'Proven goalscorer', says Lennon

LENNON A FAN OF BOYD

Celtic manager Neil Lennon would not let Kris Boyd's Rangers background sway him if he was to consider making a bid for the former Light Blues striker.
    Boyd this week terminated his contract with Turkish club Eskisehirspor following a dispute over unpaid wages.
    Lennon, who denied he had made an official approach for Dundee United's Scott Allan, addressed the question of Boyd's availability by saying: "He is a proven goalscorer.
    "I don't know how much football he has played of late but he is a player with a great record and any player like that would interest me.
    "You are taking hypothetically here and are starting to speculate already, but regards to that question (would it be a problem that Boyd had played for Rangers?) no, I can't see it being a problem.
    "But again, I don't want to talk about players coming and going until January."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast