Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 25-12-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 25-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 25-12-11

Ferguson: No need for January signings

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has reiterated he is not looking to make a move in the January transfer window unless a top player becomes available or his squad is further hit by injuries.
    Ashley Young this week joined an extensive injury list that includes the likes of Nemanja Vidic, Anderson, Michael Owen and Tom Cleverley, while Darren Fletcher is also sidelined with a bowel condition.
    However, Ferguson believes he has the strength in depth to cope and is not currently planning any January raids.
    Writing in his programme notes for the Boxing Day game with Wigan, Ferguson said: "All things being equal I am perfectly happy with the strength of our squad in terms of depth, quality and age range.
    "I will not be swayed by the endless tweets and blogs urging the club to get busy in the transfer market next month.
    "As far as I am concerned I am marching perfectly in step, true to my beliefs and principles. While recruiting some of the world's leading players can lift you into contention for honours, it doesn't necessarily take you all the way, as I hope we will be able to demonstrate before the end of the season as other factors come into play.
    "You can never say never in football, of course, because fortunes can fluctuate wildly - that's the football world. If a really top-class player became available, then we would go for him, or if we picked up any further serious injuries, it might be important to add to our squad."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 25-12-11

Jiracek: Agrees move to Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg coach Felix Magath has already made his first move in the transfer market with still a week to go before it officially opens by signing midfielder Petr Jiracek from Viktoria Plzen.
    The 25-year-old will become a Wolf on January 2 having agreed terms on a four-and-a-half-year contract with the Bundesliga club.
    The two clubs have also reached an agreement on an undisclosed transfer fee for the Czech Republic international who Magath believes will give his side a new edge during the second half of the season.
    "I am delighted that we have been able to sign a player who has experience in the Champions League and internationally," said Magath.
    "Jiracek is a versatile midfielder. His effort and willingness to run - qualities that we need for a better second half of the season - are his defining factors."
    Jiracek, who played in each of Plzen's six Champions League group fixtures this season, says the move to the Bundesliga takes his career forward, even if he is giving up a place in the Europa League with Plzen.
    "To play in the Bundesliga is a huge step for me and it has always been my goal," he said.
    "After visiting Wolfsburg and talking with Felix Magath, I was immediately convinced that they are the right club for me.
    "It is a dream to play for Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga."
    Wolfsburg ended 2011 with just 20 points from their first 17 games of the season, including nine defeats.
    They are six points behind the top six at the turn of the year.

Moyes: Sticks up for Kean

Everton manager David Moyes has hit out at the "disgusting" treatment of Blackburn counterpart Steve Kean by his own supporters.
    Moyes has revealed he walked out of Rovers' demoralising loss to Bolton at Ewood Park on Tuesday in protest at the abuse Kean was receiving from fans.
    Blackburn's 2-1 defeat to their fellow strugglers left them bottom of the Barclays Premier League and increased the pressure on Kean and the club's under-fire owners Venky's.
    Moyes said: "I walked out at half-time. I couldn't believe the criticism they gave their manager.
    "If they had supported the team as well as they had shouted at their manager I think the team might have got a result in the game.
    "I am a football manager and it could quite easily happen to me. I was disgusted with how football supporters treated Steve.
    "The only way I could show it was by leaving at half-time."
    Moyes believes it is time Venky's, the Indian poultry firm who bought Blackburn last year, clarified the situation at the crisis-hit club.
    The Scot said: "Steve stood on the touchline the whole night and took the barracking, never hid from it.
    "He was big enough to stand there and take it and that says a lot about him.
    "But sometimes on these occasions the owners need to step forward and be seen - come out and tell people exactly what is happening so the supporters are aware of it.
    "But the supporters were there. It was a really big game for Blackburn and Bolton.
    "The Bolton supporters really got behind their manager and their team. If Blackburn supporters had done that it might have helped them."
    Meanwhile Newcastle boss Alan Pardew claims Blackburn fans are harming their own team with their "vicious" attacks on Kean.
    Pardew, who worked with Kean at Reading, said: "If they want to carry on like they are doing, all they are going to do is harm their own team. I can't see the logic in that.
    "It's a sign of the game. I don't know whether 20, 30 years ago, it would have been quite as vicious to Steve Kean.
    "I know him well - he's a personal friend of mine - so I have great sympathy for the position he is in.
    "There are a lot of factors in why he's receiving that. I don't go along with it and I don't think any member of the LMA (League Managers' Association) would go along with it in their right mind.
    "He's trying to do the best job he can do. He has been given the job to do and that's what he is trying to do.
    "He should be left alone to do that and it will be beneficial to the team if the fans take that view."
    Celtic counterpart Neil Lennon, who also knows Kean, believes the Rovers boss seems to be in a no-win situation.
    He said: "For me, it seems like he has never had the chance to do his job properly. For whatever reason, the support have never taken to him.
    "Even when they were winning games like the other week, there was no pleasing supporters then.
    "I know Steve from being on a few coaching courses and I know his assistant Iain Brunskill, who was with me on the Pro Licence.
    "They are good football guys. At the end of the day it is a results-driven business and I just hope they start picking up positive results because there is a danger they could get detached from the rest of the clubs there.
    "But in terms of the treatment, it's not on, it's not fair and I would hate to work in an environment like that."

Pardew: Expects tough window

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is preparing himself for a difficult transfer window as he attempts to drag the club out of its recent slump.
    Wednesday night's 3-2 home defeat by West Brom left the Magpies without a win in six Barclays Premier League games with the manager admitting his squad is being tested to the full by injuries and suspensions.
    Pardew was unable to call upon central defender Steven Taylor, who is out for the season after surgery to repair his Achilles, and lost full-back Davide Santon to a knee problem, while Yohan Cabaye and Dan Gosling were both suspended.
    A replacement for Taylor is a must next month - Newcastle were today linked with Ajax's 10million-rated Jan Vertonghen - while the loss of 13-goal striker Demba Ba and key midfielder Cheick Tiote to African Nations Cup duty with Senegal and Ivory Coast respectively will blow another hole in the manager's resources for several weeks.
    Pardew was giving nothing away about his potential targets, but said: "We are having to look at our squad because we are stretched, especially defensively.
    "We have made some calls to try to find out who is available, but it's a difficult window.
    "You want to try to get a good player in a window when teams don't want to lose their good players, so it's not just difficult for us, it's difficult for every team.
    "You locate a player, but then they have got to get a replacement and is another first-team going to let a replacement go? There's a knock-on effect.
    "It's a difficult window. We will have to see how it pans out."
    Pardew hope to retain the service of Ba and Tiote until around January 15, but the frontman in particular will be a huge miss when he does go.
    He twice dragged his side back into Wednesday night's game with stunning equalisers to take his tally to 13 goal in his past 12 league outings, but still ended up on the losing side as Paul Scharner snatched victory for the visitors five minutes from time.
    Pardew said: "He's a great player, and you are going to miss great players.
    "He is going to the African Cup of Nations and he will probably want to win that. Knowing Demba and the way he is playing, he probably could.
    "He has been absolutely terrific for us."
    If Pardew was left frustrated by a fourth defeat in six games heading into the Boxing Day trip to Bolton, he was at least able to comfort himself by the emergence of another genuine first-team player after 19-year-old Slovenian midfielder Haris Vuckic impressed in his first league start for the club.
    Vuckic hit the bar before the break and forced a fine late save from Ben Foster to announce himself in style.
    The teenager said: "I'm happy that I got the chance. I think I proved to the gaffer and the fans that I can do it.
    "It was a good evening for me, it's just unfortunate that we couldn't get a good result.
    "We had our chances, we just couldn't score. We deserved to draw, minimum, but you know in football, you can play badly and score goals and sometimes, you can play very well and not score.
    "If you want to win games, you have to score goals. We just couldn't do it today, so hopefully it will be against Bolton."
    Pardew had set his sights on reaching the 30-point mark by New Year's Day, but could have done it by Christmas Day had Newcastle managed to win one of their home games against Swansea or Bolton in the last few days.
    However, he will be content if that landmark is reached at the Reebok Stadium.
    He said: "I am sure [Bolton boss] Owen [Coyle] has got other ideas about that, but we have had a fantastic first half of the season and we are looking to build on that in the second half."