Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 26-12-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 26-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 26-12-11

Fabregas: Would consider Arsenal return

Cesc Fabregas has not ruled out a return to Arsenal later in his career, but said the London club are the only team he would want to leave Barcelona for.
    The 24-year-old midfielder returned to his childhood club in the summer after eight years at Arsenal.
    Fabregas said he would be happy to retire as a Barcelona player, but if he were to leave again, he would want it to be for an Arsenal return.
    "Apart from Arsenal and Barcelona, I don't see myself playing anywhere else," he told Sky Sports News.
    "I will definitely be going back (to Arsenal) whenever I have time to watch games and to see the guys, and you never know in the future, why not?
    "I hope I will stay here for a very long time, and maybe even retire him, but why not? In life, you can never say never, and if there is one place to go back to, it is Arsenal for sure."
    Fabregas admitted he had lost his motivation in the final season at the Emirates Stadium as Arsenal struggled and he believed his captaincy was failing to inspire his team-mates.
    "It looked like there was no real passion in the team to play," he said. "I've always tried my best to make the team go forward and I could see nothing I was saying was really working.
    "I was going into training not feeling the same motivation as when I was 16 years old, and I felt a little bit stuck. I think everyone in life has a time when they need to start again."
    But even so, Fabregas admitted it was a huge wrench to leave Arsenal.
    "It was very hard, the hardest decision I have ever made, even if it was my dream to play for Barcelona," he said.
    "I'm not embarrassed to say the day I left all I could say (to Arsene Wenger) was thank you very much. I couldn't talk more. I'm not embarrassed to say I nearly cried. It was very emotional."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 26-12-11

Ryan Giggs: Will be asked to extend career

Sir Alex Ferguson has challenged Michael Carrick to become the main man at Manchester United - and confirmed Ryan Giggs will be asked to extend his stay at Old Trafford into an incredible 23rd season.
    Giggs extended his record of scoring in every Premier League campaign with his goal in Wednesday's 5-0 win at Fulham.
    He subsequently revealed he was due to speak with Ferguson about his future plans.
    Now 38, Giggs has been on a rolling one-year contract since he hit the 30 mark.
    Though long-time team-mates Paul Scholes and Gary Neville have both retired in the past 12 months, Giggs seems to go on and on.
    And, providing the veteran Welshman wants to, Ferguson cannot see any reason why he should not stay for yet another campaign.
    "I think Ryan can play another year," the Scot said.
    "There is no evidence at this moment in time that his energy, stamina or speed are decreasing. In fact, it's exactly the same as it was the last two or three years. It's amazing.
    "I know it's mid-season now and it all depends on what Ryan thinks about his future, too.
    "He knows he can't go on forever, we know he can't go on forever, but he can play for another year."
    Although Giggs will continue to be an integral figure at United, it is to Carrick Ferguson is looking to fill the void left by Scholes' exit.
    The 30-year-old boasts a remarkable record, winning four Premier League titles in his five seasons at Old Trafford, in addition to featuring in three Champions League finals.
    On most of United's better days, Carrick has been a central component.
    Yet he remains a divisive figure among the Red Devils support - a large section of whom would have backed the Geordie's sale in the wake of last season's Champions League defeat to Barcelona at Wembley.
    Carrick has become an increasingly influential member of the United squad this term, though, as injuries have ripped the heart out of Ferguson's midfield.
    He scored his first goal in 70 games with a stunning solo run at QPR last weekend and followed up with a typically stylish display at Fulham.
    And, though he has not featured for England since failing to make an appearance at the 2010 World Cup, Ferguson feels it is time Carrick fulfilled his potential.
    "Michael's been one of our best players over the past few weeks," Ferguson said.
    "He's been instrumental in what's happening to the team at the moment. He's grabbed the nettle. In some ways, he's maybe seen the departure of Paul Scholes as his opportunity to be the main man in midfield."
    And not before time, according to Carrick's manager.
    "It's time Michael became the pivotal player of our team," Ferguson said.
    "We've always known he's got that in him.
    "He's a laid-back character - quiet and unassuming - but in different periods during his time here he's shown his quality.
    "Now is the time for him to start a long period of dominating the centre of midfield like he has in the last few weeks."

Darren Bent: Not heading for exit door

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish insists the club's record signing Darren Bent will not be for sale during the January transfer window.
    McLeish, whose side visit Stoke tonight, has stressed he has to adopt a sell-to-buy policy if he wants to bring in any new players, and offloading a player of Bent's quality - he cost Villa 18million 12 months ago - would be a way of generating funds.
    But McLeish says such a move would "send out the wrong message" and in any case he knows the importance of Bent's goalscoring abilities to Villa.
    The Scot said: "A striker of Darren's ability would be difficult to replace.
    "His goals last season were a vital part of Villa's season in terms of keeping them up. I wouldn't think anybody can afford Darren. I wouldn't think so.
    "It would send out the wrong message unless we went out and signed Luis Suarez or something. Even suspended for eight games, I'd have him."
    The former Birmingham boss knows from experience just how crucial it is to have a proven goalscorer.
    He said: "I wouldn't be tempted to lose any of the strikers. That was something that badly affected Birmingham City last year.
    "We lost Nikola Zigic after the Carling Cup final and Obafemi Martins breaking his leg was a massive blow to that club. People say that strikers make the difference in this league."
    McLeish added: "I've always said, since the start of the season, that we have got to trade carefully.
    "It is very much a kind of juggling of the balls at the moment.
    "That means I can't just go into the market without there being a kind of balance.
    "I'm not willing to sell anybody at the moment, but you just don't know what will happen."
    McLeish is aware of the challenge that faces his side tonight at the Britannia Stadium, and is full of praise for the job done by Stoke counterpart Tony Pulis.
    He said: "It's a challenge for the players in terms of their mental toughness. They have to be of the mentality to get through it.
    "But Stoke also play good football. I watched them against Spurs [2-1 win on December 11] and they played terrifically well.
    "They play to their strengths. They do it well and Tony Pulis and Stoke are a great example of stability at a club and building it over a period of time."

Daniele de Rossi: Not heading to City

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has ruled out a January move for Italy midfielder Daniele de Rossi.
    De Rossi has been touted as a potential City purchase for some time.
    And, with Mancini concerned about his options when Yaya Toure departs for the African Nations Cup next month, there had been suggestions City would make a move for the 28-year-old Roma man, who came on as a substitute in Italy's World Cup final triumph over France in 2006.
    However, while Mancini concedes he may need to bring in reinforcements, he doubts whether De Rossi can be prised away from the Italian capital.
    "I don't think so," he said.
    "De Rossi was born in Rome and it's unlikely that he'll leave the city.
    "There are players that could be good for us. But every time we want to buy a player their clubs ask for lots of money."
    And that creates a problem. Not so much with the cost - Sheikh Mansour has pockets deep enough to sign any superstar who becomes available - but with UEFA's Financial Fair Play structures.
    It means City have to start unloading some of the men they no longer need.
    Negotiations with AC Milan over an exit for Carlos Tevez have already begun, although they may become protracted.
    Mancini has already questioned why Wayne Bridge prefers to remain surplus to requirements when there are clubs of a decent size - Celtic have been mentioned - who would like to sign him.
    And former England Under-21 international Nedum Onuoha is another player with senior experience who has no future at the Etihad Stadium.
    "We need to sell two or three players and then we'll see," Mancini said.
    "Until now we have been lucky because we haven't had any big injuries.
    "I hope it can be like that in January but if not, we may have time to buy someone. It's not easy though. I asked the owner for [Lionel] Messi but it's not possible."

Mourinho: Would like to return to the Premier League.

Jose Mourinho has reiterated his desire to return to the Premier League "in a couple of years" once his time in charge of Real Madrid is over.
    The former Chelsea manager has always been open about his love of the game in England and has long been linked with taking over Sir Alex Ferguson's role at Manchester United when the Scot decides to retire.
    The Portuguese joined Madrid on a four-year contract in the summer of 2010 and this season has guided the Spanish giants to the top of the Primera Division, three points clear of Barcelona going into the winter break, but he has described a return to the Premier League as "the next step".
    Mourinho told BBC Radio Four's Today programme: "I am very, very happy to be in Real Madrid. It is a great experience for me.
    "I believe it is probably the biggest club in the history of football, I didn't want to miss the chance to work here but my passion is England and my next step will be to go back, if possible go and stay for a long time.
    "Get me a club in a couple of years, get me a good club."
    The 48-year-old is a renowned student of the game but he insists "individual genius" will always prevail regardless of the amount of preparation and organisation.
    He said: "I think the genius will make always the difference. And the genius in my sport is about some unbelievable players that can break every organisation and every work you can do.
    "Genius in managing also exists.
    "For me in football the most important thing is man management. Football for me is a human science, it is about man."
    Mourinho also agreed the prospect of human failure is one of the attractions of sport, saying: "Emotional intelligence is crucial at this level in every sport.
    "It is one thing to take a penalty winning 5-0 in a friendly, another thing is to take a penalty kick in the last minute of the Champions League or World Cup final.
    "I try to prepare my players the best I can but in the end of the day they are the guys that decide everything in the right moment. They make the difference.
    "I analyse them in a group context always but I know they are all unique.
    "This is an amazing experience - many of us don't want to quit, never. We want to go to the last day we can because this leadership becomes part of our life."