Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 28-12-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 28-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 28-12-11

Bale: Not for sale

REDKNAPP WARNS OFF BALE SUITORS

Harry Redknapp thinks only Manchester City, Barcelona or Real Madrid could afford to buy Gareth Bale, but he has warned any interested party that the Wales star is not for sale after watching him tear Norwich apart on Tuesday night.
    Bale scored both goals at Carrow Road as Spurs moved to within seven points of the Barclays Premier League summit with an easy 2-0 win over Paul Lambert's team.
    The Welshman opened the scoring after turning home Emmanuel Adebayor's pass from 12 yards in the second half, before lobbing John Ruddy with an exquisite chip after racing through on a dash that began on the halfway line.
    Barcelona have watched the 22-year-old this season and the player himself has admitted that he would be interested in a move to the continent in the future.
    But after spending all summer fending off interest in Luka Modric, Tottenham are determined to hang on to their best players, and for that reason Redknapp insists Bale is going nowhere.
    "It would only be a Barcelona, a Man City or Real Madrid who would be able to pay for him," Redknapp said.
    "They are the only ones who could afford to pay the transfer fee and his wages, but he isn't for sale. The chairman has said he isn't for sale.
    "If we sell him we've had it haven't we? If you looking to go somewhere you don't go and sell a player like him."
    Bale excelled in a more central role given to him on Tuesday night, where he played as the left-sided prong in a three-man attack that also included Rafael van der Vaart and targetman Emmanuel Adebayor.
    Redknapp was delighted that the move came off, adding: "I played him and Rafa up there, rather than sticking him out on left wing because when he picks it up and runs at you through the middle and he pops up in positions between midfield and defence, it's difficult to pick him up. When he finds those holes he is unplayable."
    Norwich boss Lambert, whose team rarely threatened Spurs 'keeper Brad Friedel, was highly impressed with Bale, but refused to criticise his men for failing to register another clean sheet for the 18th time this season.
    The Scot said: "Bale is top class. He did ever so well. I was disappointed with the goals we conceded but you have to remember who we were playing against.
    "We now have got Fulham which is also a tough game but hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 28-12-11

Dimitar Berbatov: Wanted back by Bayer Leverkusen

BERBATOV WANTED BACK BY BAYER

Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov's representatives have confirmed there has been contact with Bayer Leverkusen regarding a potential return to the Bundesliga club.
    Berbatov spent five years with Leverkusen before moving to the Premier League with Tottenham Hotspur in 2006 and on to United two years later.
    However, his future at Old Trafford is uncertain as he has started only two Premier League games this season after being the division's joint top scorer last term.
    His current contract expires at the end of the season, although United do have an option of a further 12 months and Sir Alex Ferguson recently admitted the club were likely to exercise that deal.
    The rumours concerning a January exit, though, have not gone away and the Bulgarian's representatives are waiting for United to make a decision regarding Berbatov's contract.
    A formal approach from Leverkusen has yet to be made, but Berbatov retains affection for a club he helped to reach the 2002 UEFA Champions League final at United's expense.
    "It's more than a rumour," Ivan Dobrinov, a member of the group which represents Berbatov, told Bild. "Leverkusen have it on their minds to get Berbatov.
    "There is contact, but nothing concrete yet. It all depends on United's plans.
    "We wait until 2nd January. Until then, United have the option but if that does not happen then Berbatov would be a free transfer in the summer.
    "The player has never forgotten Leverkusen, the club is still very dear to him. Furthermore, he has a good relationship with the leadership at Bayer."
    Leverkusen CEO Wolfgang Holzhauser echoed Dobrinov's comments and is also waiting to see whether the Red Devils decide to keep the 30-year-old.
    Holzhauser said: "I would even say that the contact is friendly. But there is certainly nothing concrete at the moment.
    "I also read that Manchester United would like to extend his contract."

Uploads

Jamie Murphy: Prepared for transfe questions next month

MURPHY COMFORTABLE IN TRANSFER WINDOW

Motherwell forward Jamie Murphy feels he is better prepared for the impending transfer window speculation after feeling it affected him in the summer.
    The 22-year-old is one of the players most likely to follow James McFadden and Stephen Pearson in securing transfer money for the club, although manager Stuart McCall insisted throughout the summer window that no firm enquiries were made.
    That did not stop the speculation and questions to Murphy but he has stressed his happiness to continue learning at Fir Park.
    And Murphy, whose team host Dunfermline in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League on Wednesday night, is relaxed about the prospect of more transfer rumours.
    The former Scotland Under-21 international said: "It was something new in the last transfer window. At times it was a bit hard to ignore it all.
    "I think I have learned a wee bit from it and hopefully, if that happens again, I will be more prepared for the questions.
    "It's usually all the same questions so you kind of get used to answering them. Hopefully I'll answer them a bit better in January.
    "I've just been trying not to think about it. You try and perform on the pitch and do the best you can.
    "If that's good enough, that's great, if not then you have to work a bit harder. It's all about what you do and not what anyone else says."
    McCall hopes to push through a deal for Estonian striker Henrik Ojamaa early next month but does not want to lose any of his players.
    However, his opposite number on Wednesday night, Jim McIntyre, has warned of numerous changes if his team do not stop gifting teams goals.
    The Pars were unbeaten in the first four games of the season but were then well beaten in a 4-2 defeat by Motherwell and have since won just once.
    McIntyre said: "I believe in the group of players that we have got but when you keep making the same mistakes, and if you don't learn, then it's time to move on."

Uploads

Mulumbu: Forced off against Man City

BAGGIES WAITING ON MULUMBU SCAN

West Brom are waiting to discover the extent of Youssouf Mulumbu's latest groin injury.
    The midfielder has been in fine form despite a persistent niggle, but the problem forced him off before the end of Albion's Boxing Day draw with Manchester City.
    And Roy Hodgson fears scan results will rule out a key member of his first team for a significant period.
    The Baggies boss said: "He's had a groin strain for a while now so we will have to have a look at it. I'm hoping it's not going to be too bad.
    "I think it's something that will keep him out for a little while but let's hope it's not too long because he has got himself back in form.
    "He's been suffering from a groin injury that we've been nursing him through game to game and it's gone fine.
    "His last 10 minutes was 10 minutes too many and if I'd have had some indication he was struggling I'd have taken him off. But unfortunately there was no indication."

Uploads

Nenad Milijas: Was sent off against Arsenal

WOLVES APPEAL MILIJAS RED CARD

Wolves have lodged an appeal with the Football Association against the red card shown to Nenad Milijas in Tuesday's Barclays Premier League game at Arsenal.
    The midfielder was sent off by referee Stuart Attwell following a studs-up sliding challenge on Mikel Arteta.
    The FA's disciplinary panel will now hear the case and make a decision ahead of Saturday's trip to Bolton, which could see the automatic three-match ban rescinded.
    Wolves manager Mick McCarthy felt the incident did not warrant a red card, but accepted it was not an easy environment for the young referee.
    Speaking in the post-match press conference following the 1-1 draw, McCarthy said: "If he [Atwell] sees it again then it can't be [a red card]. Nenad's got his foot on the ground and makes contact with the ball.
    "Somebody said to me 'he's got his studs up'. Well, you generally do if you tackle with your foot sliding in."
    McCarthy added: "That rarefied atmosphere out there is a difficult place to work in whether you are a player, coach, manager, referee or assistant.
    "It's pretty pressurised out there and I think there was a lot of pressure on him to do it."
    Wolves confirmed their appeal on the club's official website.

Uploads

Pavlyuchenko: Received an offer from Anzhi Makhachkala

PAVLYUCHENKO HAS ANZHI OFFER - AGENT

Roman Pavlyuchenko's agent claims the Tottenham Hotspur striker is prepared to join Anzhi Makhachkala unless he receives a better offer in January.
    The Russia international boasts an impressive strike rate for Spurs, but has made just four substitute appearances in the Premier League this season.
    Spurs boss Harry Redknapp recently admitted that he did not want to lose the 30-year-old after Pavlyuchenko came off the bench to score the winner against Sunderland.
    However, the forward is unhappy with his lack of playing time and has been linked with a return to former club Spartak Moscow, along with rivals Lokomotiv Moscow and Queens Park Rangers.
    Ambitious Anzhi are also keen on Pavlyuchenko and have reportedly offered a three-year contract in a bid to tempt him to Makhachkala.
    Pavlyuchenko is rumoured to want to stay in the Premier League, but his representative Oleg Artemov concedes he is willing to move to Anzhi if there are no more offers.
    "At the beginning, Roman absolutely ignored Anzhi," Artemov told Tden.ru.
    "He wasn't against going back to Russia, but not to the Makhachkala-based team, but Pavlyuchenko is tired of the uncertainty and the lack of match action.
    "He has a concrete offer from Anzhi in his hand. This offer is very good and profitable.
    "Roman will accept it unless he gets a better offer."

Uploads

Olivier Giroud: Will not be sold to Newcastle

NEWCASTLE 'TOO SMALL' FOR GIROUD

Montpellier owner Louis Nicollin has said Newcastle are "too small" for Olivier Giroud but would not rule out a switch to Arsenal - if the price is right.
    Giroud, who has scored 13 times this season, has caught the attention in his side's surge to second in Ligue 1 at the winter break.
    Newcastle, who have signed several players from France in the last 18 months, had been linked with a move for the 25-year-old.
    They are no longer in the market for a striker in January but Nicollin suggested they were never an option.
    Although he could not rule out selling to a club like the Gunners, the presence of Robin van Persie and a sizeable asking price point toward the player staying.
    "Newcastle? They are too small for him," he told television station RTL.
    "Arsenal? You would have to see if Arsene Wenger is interested but, as before, there is Van Persie.
    "And at 10million euros? No. Given that he still has more than two years of contract, it will cost more.
    "He has a contract until 2014, [so] 50 or 60million euros at least."

Uploads

Pato: Has been linked with a move away from Milan

PATO HINTS AT PROBLEMS WITH ALLEGRI

AC Milan striker Alexandre Pato has admitted he would prefer a "more direct" relationship with coach Massimiliano Allegri.
    The Brazilian striker, who has been linked with a move to England for much of the year, concedes he could get on better with his coach.
    Fresh reports have emerged linking him with a January switch to ambitious Paris St Germain, giving the player's words in Corriere dello Sport even greater weight.
    "I would like to have a more direct relationship with Allegri," he told the newspaper.
    "I won't say much more. If he thinks it is right to criticise me, then I have to keep my head down and work. I have to respect what the coach says.
    "But the fact remains that if he has seen something wrong with my game then he should come to me directly so we can discuss it."

Uploads

Tim Howard: Hoping the Toffees strengthen in January

HOWARD HOPING FOR NEW BLOOD

Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard believes dipping into the January transfer market would 'breathe some fresh life' into the side.
    The Toffees have already agreed a two-month loan deal for Howard's fellow USA international Landon Donovan, who will arrive for a second stint on Merseyside from LA Galaxy on Wednesday.
    The forward, who impressed on loan with the Toffees back in 2010, could go straight into the squad for the New Year's Day Premier League trip to West Brom.
    Keeper Howard feels it is crucial Everton bolster their squad further during next month's transfer window if they want to realise their ambition of a top-10 finish.
    "To get where we want to be we need to be in the top half of the table," Howard told the North Wales Daily Post.
    "We have kind of teetered around there, but now we need to put some wins together and then, when we get there, really crack on.
    "Maybe get some new players in January, who knows? But that would breathe some fresh life into us as a group of players and as a club and then the fans would, as always, get right behind that group of players.
    "So January should be a fun month but there are plenty of games before then."
    Sunday's trip to West Brom marks the start of a frenetic few weeks for David Moyes' side, with the Toffees facing five league and cup fixtures in just 13 days at the beginning of next month.
    Howard is hoping they can pick up some momentum over that period, adding: "If you can string performances together then they just keep on coming and it is very much a rhythm thing as you don't have time to think about the next game.
    "We have always been strong around this period in my time at Everton and long may it continue.
    "Particularly in the holiday period, there are so many points up for grabs. Everyone takes stock in the New Year and starts to count down the games and look at where they may be able to finish."

Uploads

Ernst Tanner: Delighted with Wieser deal

WIESER ACCEPTED AT HOFFENHEIM

Hoffenheim have signed Liechtenstein international Sandro Wieser from Swiss champions Basle on a four-and-a-half-year contract.
    The 18-year-old makes the switch for an undisclosed fee and will join Hoffenheim as soon as the transfer window officially opens on January 1.
    He leaves Basle, with whom he won the Swiss title in his first season as a professional last May and for whom he was eligible to play in the Champions League this season, to join the Bundesliga side, who are just four points adrift of the top six at the midway stage of the season.
    "We are delighted that we have been able to sign a German-speaking top prospect on a long-term deal," said Hoffenheim's general manager Ernst Tanner on his club's website.
    "In spite of his young age, Sandro has already proven, particularly with the Liechtenstein senior national team, what he is capable of.
    "He will find the ideal surroundings with us to take the next step."