Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 29-12-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 29-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 29-12-11

Carlo Ancelotti: Has arrived in Paris

CARLO ANCELOTTI SET FOR PSG

Carlo Ancelotti arrived in France on Wednesday as he looks set to be appointed the new coach of Paris Saint Germain.
    PSG have not yet officially announced that current incumbent Antoine Kombouare has been sacked, but his removal appears imminent.
    The big spending French giants, backed by their Qatari owners, have long wanted a high-profile coach to work with their sporting director Leonardo - appointed earlier this year.
    And it is little surprise the Brazilian has seemingly turned to former Chelsea coach Ancelotti after they worked closely together during Leonardo's playing days at AC Milan.
    Ancelotti was filmed and photographed arriving at PSG's Parc des Princes HQ on Wednesday, where he met with Leonardo along with fitness coach Giovanni Mauri.
    Speculation in France suggests that Ancelotti will be confirmed as the new coach of PSG before the New Year, and will take charge of their winter break in Dubai.
    With Ancelotti poised to take control, PSG are already being linked with fresh transfer targets.
    Long-term target David Beckham is expected to sign while Ancelotti is reportedly keen to link up with a number of his former stars and bids for Alexandre Pato, Kaka and Florent Malouda have been touted.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 29-12-11

Enda Stevens in action for Shamrock against Spurs

ENDA STEVENS HEADING TO VILLA

Left-back Enda Stevens will officially link up with Aston Villa next week and activate the three-year contract he agreed with the club in the summer.
    The Republic of Ireland Under-21 international was allowed to remain with Shamrock for the first half of the campaign and compete in the Europa League before moving to Villa in January.
    And boss Alex McLeish is hoping Stevens can quickly adjust to the demands of the Premier League and provide competition for Stephen Warnock.
    He said: "It will be nice to have another body in the squad and Enda is a player who has got some potential.
    "He's a young player, there was a wee bit of interest in him and we decided to sign him.
    "It is up to Enda to hit the ground running and do well and leave me thinking: 'let's get this guy involved.'
    "Enda will have to go some way to break in because Stephen Warnock has been in great form.
    "But we are hoping when he joins, he will get to grips with everything, adapt very quickly to put pressure on guys like Stephen."
    Stevens, who signed a pre-contract agreement, will officially become a Villa player when the transfer window reopens on Monday.
    The Dublin born player had spells with UCD and St Patrick's Athletic before joining Shamrock in December 2009 and helping them to win the league title at the end of his first season.
    Stevens made his Under-21 debut against Cyprus 10 months ago.

Uploads

Thierry Henry: Could return to Arsenal

MERTESACKER KEEN ON HENRY LOAN

Strike duo Thierry Henry and Lukas Podolski would fit right in at Arsenal, according to Gunners defender Per Mertesacker.
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is contemplating a loan move for his former captain Henry, who has been training at London Colney and will not be back in competitive action with the New York Red Bulls until the opening of the Major League Soccer season in March.
    The Gunners have also been heavily linked with Cologne striker Podolski, as Wenger looks for attacking cover when the transfer window opens again in January.
    Mertesacker has seen first hand what both men can offer, training alongside Henry in recent weeks and playing against Podolski in the Bundesliga with Werder Bremen as well as with him for Germany.
    The centre-half said: "Henry has a lot of experience and he is a great opportunity for us, but I am not the manager and I do not know what is possible, for him or for us.
    "In training, Henry shows his class and [it is good] to have him with us."
    Mertesacker would also like to see Podolski, 26, make the move from Germany to north London.
    "He is a powerful, great player, especially for the national team," said Mertesacker, who along with goalscorer Podolski was part of the Germany team which dumped England out of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
    "He has scored a lot of goals, is a good striker with a very good finish. His left foot is unbelievable and I am a fan of him."

Uploads

Michael O'Neill: New Northern Ireland manager

NORTHERN IRELAND APPOINT O'NEILL

Michael O'Neill has been appointed as the new Northern Ireland manager on a two-year contract.
    The former Shamrock Rovers manager has been chosen ahead of Jim Magilton and Iain Dowie to replace the departed Nigel Worthington at Windsor Avenue and will begin work on February 1.
    He inherits a side who failed to live up to modest expectations in their last campaign - which saw them finish fifth in their Euro 2012 qualifying group, ahead of only the Faroe Islands - and must also confront pressing issues of player availability and eligibility which caused problems for Worthington.
    In the last couple of years Worthington was forced to deal with frequent squad withdrawals and injury absences, while the issue of Northern Ireland-born players pledging their footballing allegiance to the Republic of Ireland became an increasingly thorny problem for the IFA - who have lost a handful of highly-rated youngsters to the Football Association of Ireland.
    But, judging by the 42-year-old's opening statement as national boss, he has an appetite for the task.
    "I am honoured to be chosen to manage my country," said O'Neill, who is thought to be earning around half the 450,000-a-year given to his predecessor.
    "I am a proud Northern Irishman who was fortunate enough to win 33 senior caps and it was always an ambition to manage my country. To be entrusted with the role early in my managerial career is quite humbling but I am confident that we can make progress.
    "Northern Ireland has a strong football tradition but one that needs to be refreshed with some more contemporary success. That is my primary objective - to restore a sense of belief and pride in what it means to represent Northern Ireland so that our players will want only to play for their country.
    "That is how it should be. There is a huge amount of work to be done but with the right direction and the necessary passion good progress can be made."
    Names as diverse as Dave Jones, Avram Grant, Gerry Armstrong, Brian Kerr and Robbie Fowler had been linked with the job, but an IFA team fronted by president Jim Shaw and chief executive Patrick Nelson narrowed the field to a trio of former internationals in the shape of O'Neill, his Shamrock assistant Magilton and Dowie.
    It was O'Neill, who left his post at Tallaght Stadium earlier this month after a successful two-year stay, who made the biggest impression, with Nelson hailing the former Newcastle player's vision for the side.
    "Michael was the standout choice from an excellent field," said the chief executive.
    "The selection panel was very impressed with his thoughts and plans for football in Northern Ireland over the coming years."
    O'Neill arrived at Shamrock after a stint in Scotland with Brechin and won back-to-back League of Ireland titles as well as guiding his side to the group phase of the Europa League with a play-off win over Partizan Belgrade - the first League of Ireland side to do so.
    He had been strongly linked with a move to Hibernian job before Pat Fenlon was installed at Easter Road.
    O'Neill's reign will get under way with a Windsor Park friendly against Norway on February 29, with further friendlies already agreed with Holland and Finland before the World Cup 2014 campaign gets under way.
    His first competitive match will be a testing trip to face Russia on September 7, with Portugal, Azerbaijan, Israel and Luxembourg also waiting in Group F.
    Michael O'Neill factfile:
    1969: July 5 - Born in Portadown, Northern Ireland.
    1984: Begins playing career at Coleraine.
    1987: Signs for Newcastle and ends his first season as the club's top scorer.
    1988: February 17 - Makes Northern Ireland debut at the age of 18 in a 3-2 defeat to Greece.
    1989: April 26 - Scores first international goal in a World Cup qualifier against Malta.
    1995: November 15 - Scores twice in a 5-3 win over Austria in Euro 96 qualifying, also hitting the post to miss out on a hat-trick.
    1996: October 5 - Earns 33rd and final international cap as a replacement in Northern Ireland's 1-1 draw with Armenia.
    2001: After stints with a series of clubs in England and Scotland, moves briefly to the United States to play for the Portland Timbers.
    2004: Ends playing career at Ayr United.
    2006: Named as assistant manager under Mixu Paatelainen at Cowdenbeath.
    April - Appointed as Brechin City boss.
    2007: Leads Brechin to the Second Division play-offs.
    2008: December - Agrees to join cash-strapped Shamrock Rovers, surprisingly guiding them to second place in League of Ireland.
    2010: Wins the League of Ireland, ending Shamrock's 16-year drought.
    2011: August - Sees his Rovers side become the first ever League of Ireland side to qualify for the group stages of a top European competition after beating Partizan Belgrade 3-2 on aggregate in the Europa League play-offs.
    October: Completes back-to-back title wins.
    November: Describes the Northern Ireland job as "attractive" having previously appeared to rule himself out of the running to replace Nigel Worthington.
    December 14: Confirms he will leave Shamrock after contract negotiations are unsuccessful.
    December 19: Interviewed by the Irish Football Association for the vacant Northern Ireland job.
    December 28: Confirmed by IFA as new Northern Ireland boss on a two-year contract.

Uploads

Rasmus Elm: Has been linked with a move to Man United

ELM'S AGENT DENIES MAN UNITED DEAL

The agent of Swedish ace Rasmus Elm has dismissed reports the midfielder is set to join Manchester United at the end of the season.
    Reports in the Italian media this week claimed the 23-year-old AZ Alkmaar star was poised to make a move to Old Trafford in the summer.
    But the Sweden international's agent, Patrick Moerk, insists a decision is yet to be made over his future, with Arsenal, Tottenham and a host of Serie A clubs also thought to be interested.
    "I don't comment on specific rumours but suggestions he has already agreed to join a club are not correct," Moerk told Expressen.
    Elm, who is contracted in Alkmaar until 2013, previously admitted to being flattered by United's alleged interest, fuelling suggestions he could join the Premier League giants.
    But while Moerk says the Swede will consider any offers, he has not ruled out the midfielder seeing out his contract with Eredivisie leaders and title challengers AZ.
    He added: "Rasmus does not close any doors and he listens to all offers. But he is very happy at AZ and not desperate to move to another club."

Uploads

Warnock: Expects to do business

WARNOCK READY FOR JANUARY SALES

QPR manager Neil Warnock is excited about what the second half of the season may hold for his side as he prepares to make "three or four additions" during the January transfer window.
    On the face of it there would not appear to be a great deal for Warnock to be enthused about with his side languishing just above the relegation zone having managed just one home win so far this season.
    But Tuesday night's 1-1 draw with fellow promoted side Swansea saw the Rs produce a performance that arguably merited all three points, with the influential midfield triumvirate of Adel Taarabt, Alejandro Faurlin and skipper Joey Barton taking the game to a Liberty Stadium side who have become used to having things their own way on home turf.
    Winger Jamie Mackie grabbed a deserved 58th-minute equaliser thanks to a poor defensive header from Leon Britton, after Danny Graham had given Swansea a disputed 14th-minute lead despite appearing to handle before dispatching his sixth goal of the season.
    Warnock believes it was a performance that is sure to attract potential transfer targets.
    He said: "I will be looking to bring in at least three or four players. We are working hard, and I am having many conference calls with the chairman (Tony Fernandes) over who we may be able to bring in.
    "It changes day to day as players become available that you think you can buy or loan in, but there are areas we want to improve on and I think we will get the players we want.
    "When you play like that on TV, it can only help. London is a good pull for foreigners as well as English players and it's an exciting time. We have a drawing power and the way we play, if I were a player I would be excited.
    "If I can get some good business done then what a great end of season we can have, I'm looking forward to it."
    One man linked with a move away from Loftus Road has been playmaker Taarabt, who refused to sign a new deal with the club last summer.
    The 22-year-old Moroccan was a key figure in QPR's march to the Championship title last season, but has been limited to a place on the bench for the most part this time round.
    However, he showed glimpses of his unquestionable talent in south Wales, and Warnock was left ruing his upcoming stint at next month's African Nations Cup.
    "I thought Adel did well again, I thought he also did well against Sunderland in the second half," said Warnock.
    "He is getting fitter and fitter and it is just a shame he is going to be away at the African Nations Cup, he will be heading there after the FA Cup game (at MK Dons on January 7) I think."
    While QPR were disappointed to see Swansea's goal stand, the Welsh club also took umbrage with referee Lee Probert's decision to deny Graham a penalty when the former Watford man was clearly felled by Armand Traore.
    Manager Brendan Rodgers described the result as "two points dropped" in the immediate aftermath, but admitted the point gained, which moves them five points clear of the relegation zone, could yet prove crucial.
    He said: "Scott Sinclair hasn't missed a penalty for us this season, and I felt we deserved to get that penalty but we didn't.
    "But in the end QPR have done well away from home, they have picked up three wins and some terrific points, so we are disappointed but that is a point that might end up not being so bad for us."
    Rodgers refused to be drawn on whether Swansea have made an improved bid for Cliftonville striker Rory Donnelly, after being asked to up their offer for the 19-year-old, who has also attracted the interest of Everton and Liverpool.

Uploads

Cheick Tiote: Vowing to concentrate on his football

TIOTE HAPPY ON TYNESIDE

In-demand Newcastle midfielder Cheick Tiote has insisted he is happy on Tyneside amid speculation his club might have a big decision to make next month.
    The 25-year-old Ivory Coast international has been linked with Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham in recent weeks, and manager Alan Pardew is bracing himself for a bid when the transfer window opens on January 1 having warned potential purchasers they will have to pay a lot of money to prise the former FC Twente enforcer out of his hands.
    However, Tiote has vowed simply to concentrate on his football as the speculation mounts.
    He told the Evening Chronicle: "People can say whatever they want to say about me, but I'm a professional footballer and I play for Newcastle.
    "I'm not thinking of leaving in January - I'm very happy playing for this club.
    "That's my job and I need to work hard for the team and the club. I have to focus on my job for Newcastle - that's what I have to do."
    Those words may prove some comfort to Pardew, who knows any decision might not be his to make if an acceptable offer was forthcoming.
    He spent most of last January insisting striker Andy Carroll was not for sale, only to see him head through the exit door for Liverpool after the Reds tabled a monster 35million bid on the final day of the window.

Uploads

Rory Donnelly: Set to join Swansea

SWANSEA CLOSE IN ON RORY DONNELLY

Swansea look set to finally complete the signing of Cliftonville striker Rory Donnelly after manager Brendan Rodgers revealed the club have agreed a new fee and personal terms for the Northern Ireland Under-21 international.
    The Swans had initially appeared to be in pole position to land the 19-year-old after having an offer of around 100,000 accepted, but they were last week told to up that bid following interest from Merseyside giants Everton and Liverpool, and Rodgers had appeared downbeat on his hopes of bringing Donnelly to the Liberty Stadium.
    But the south Wales club have had another offer accepted by the Belfast outfit, and Donnelly, who it is understood always favoured a move to Swansea, is set to complete his transfer.
    Rodgers said: "I think we now have an agreement on both sides in terms of Cliftonville as a club and personal terms with the player, so we hope to complete that fairly soon.
    "He will be over here for the game against Tottenham on Saturday. We will look to complete the medical (on Friday) and get that put to bed and the boy can then come over and work on developing his game.
    "I will talk more about him once the deal is done but he is coming here without pressure, he is coming from a part-time level.
    "He has shone in the early part of the season and there have been other clubs interested, but we will talk more once he signs the papers."

Uploads

Luka Modric: Can't see a January exit

LUKA MODRIC: I WON'T LEAVE IN JANUARY

Luka Modric is almost 100% certain he will remain with Tottenham until the end of the season.
    The Croatia international has been in superb form for the north Londoners this season despite a summer blighted by talk of a move away.
    Modric was mooted as a potential target for both Manchester clubs and Chelsea, leading the playmaker to admit he would like to leave Harry Redknapp's side for Stamford Bridge.
    The 26-year-old is now the subject of fresh speculation and, while he has not ruled out eventually leaving for pastures new, he expects to end the season at White Hart Lane.
    "All this talk is just in the press - I don't know anything about any of these alleged offers," he told Croatian newspaper Sportske Novosti.
    "We are doing our best at Tottenham to get the results sought by the club and the fans.
    "Considering all the circumstances, particularly due to the fact I do not want to go over what I went through in the summer transfer period, I can say with almost 100% certainty that I will stay at Tottenham until the summer.
    "There is a small chance I could leave as it is a theoretical possibility if the club gets an offer for me and it is one you do not want to refuse.
    "However, the reality is that I will stay at Spurs until June and then we will see.
    "All options are possible. I just want to be healthy and play well, everything else will go in order."
    He added: "If I stay at Tottenham, nothing will change. I will give my all in every game."

Uploads

Oriol Romeu: Looks set to remain with Chelsea

ORIOL ROMEU SET TO STAY AT CHELSEA

Oriol Romeu's agent has hinted the Chelsea midfielder will resist the option to return to Barcelona and will instead remain at Stamford Bridge until 2013 at the least.
    The Catalan giants sold the 20-year-old to the Blues during the close season, although it was believed they could re-sign him in the summer of 2012 for €10million (8.3m) or €15million (12.5m) in 2013.
    Andre Villas-Boas insists Barca have first refusal on Romeu, which only comes into play should the West Londoners wants to part company with his services.
    It had been thought that Barcelona were mulling over re-signing Romeu at the end of the season if Seydou Keita leaves in search of a fresh challenge in Italy's Serie A.
    "Will Romeu return? His dream before leaving was to be a Barcelona player and that still stands, but we cannot ignore the opportunity Chelsea have provided," agent Javier Magico Diaz to Marca.
    "Oriol has made a name for himself in the Premier League and is playing regularly. We're committed to the club and we cannot leave them hanging."
    He added on a possible Barcelona return: "We'll have to see if it's appropriate for the club and the player. We need to know if he'll keep developing at Chelsea and playing.
    "Maybe it will be more convenient to stay for another year and then return in 2013."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast