Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 30-12-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 30-12-11

Latest Transfer Update at 30-12-11

Gary Cahill: Chelsea bid accepted

CHELSEA'S GARY CAHILL BID ACCEPTED

Bolton manager Owen Coyle has confirmed the club have agreed a fee with Chelsea for Wanderers defender Gary Cahill.
    It emerged last week that talks had begun between the two Barclays Premier League sides over the sale of the England international, who is out of contract at the end of the season and has for some time been linked with a move away from the Reebok Stadium.
    And it seems a deal is now imminent, with Coyle revealing that agreement over a fee - believed to be in the region of £7million - for the 26-year-old has been reached.
    "There has been a fee agreed between the clubs and we have now given Gary's representatives permission to speak to Chelsea," said Coyle, speaking ahead of Bolton's New Year's Eve home clash with Wolves.
    "That is where we are with it. We obviously have a game tomorrow and I have said to Gary that he has to be focused on giving everything for Bolton Wanderers, because he knows Bolton Wanderers has been terrific for him just as much as Gary has been for us.
    "That is why they have representatives - to sort that out - and whatever January 1 brings, it will bring."
    If Cahill, who joined Bolton in 2008 from Aston Villa, is to leave Wanderers in the next few days, Coyle will view it as a blessing that the move is occurring early in the January transfer window, giving him a chance to reinvest the money in new players.
    The Trotters are currently 19th in the table and with Cahill departing, it would seem imperative that the squad - which has been blighted by injuries - is strengthened over the coming weeks if they are to avoid relegation.
    Bolton have been linked with New York Red Bulls defender Tim Ream, who recently spent some time training with them, although Coyle will not be drawn at this point on the specific identity of any targets.
    "There are a number of players out there who are of varying degrees of interest to us, and that is where we are," Coyle said.
    "There are some good players and I think it is fair to say that we do want to add one or two to the group, but it would be remiss of me to start mentioning individual names.
    "Those are players who belong to other teams and I have always tried to be very respectful of that."
    Gary Cahill Factfile
    1985: Born December 19 in Sheffield.
    2004: November - After coming through the ranks at Aston Villa he joins Burnley on loan, making 27 league appearances for the Clarets.
    2006: April 1 - Makes his Premier League debut for Villa as a substitute in a 5-0 defeat at Arsenal.
    April 9 - Handed his first start against West Brom.
    2007: March - Makes his debut for the England Under-21 team in a 3-3 draw against Italy in the first official game at the new Wembley.
    September: Joins Sheffield United on a three-month loan.
    December: Returns to Villa having scored two goals in 16 league games for the Blades.
    2008: January - Joins Bolton on a three-and-a-half-year contract, making his debut in a 2-0 win over Reading.
    2009: June 2 - Called into Fabio Capello's England squad for World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Andorra as a late replacement for the injured Rio Ferdinand.
    August 10: Signs a new three-year deal at Bolton.
    2010: February 6 - Has to pull out of Premier League game against Fulham due to a blood clot in his arm meaning he could not play for months.
    September 3: Earns first senior England cap as a second-half substitute against Bulgaria in a 4-0 win at Wembley.
    2011: March 29 - Made his first start for England in a friendly against Ghana which ended 1-1.
    August - Remains at Bolton despite strong speculation linking him with Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal.
    December 3 - Sent off at Tottenham for what is judged to be a professional foul, but the red card is later rescinded.
    December 30 - Bolton manager Owen Coyle confirms a fee has been agreed for Cahill with Chelsea, and the London club are now free to discuss personal terms with the player's representatives.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 30-12-11

Thierry Henry: Closing in on Arsenal return

THIERRY HENRY NEARS ARSENAL RETURN

Arsene Wenger has confirmed Thierry Henry will sign a two-month deal to return to Arsenal if insurance agreements can be worked out with New York Red Bulls.
    Henry has been training with Arsenal in the MLS off-season and is not required to return to the United States until March.
    Wenger said: "For two months it certainly will happen. I don't take care of the agreement and the insurance and that is not completed.
    "At the moment we cannot announce anything because all the paperwork is not done.
    "To cover for two months is ideal. He has the experience and the quality. He knows the club and can help the players on and off the pitch.
    "He has exceptional talent and is a very intelligent man, it can only be positive."
    With forwards Gervinho and Marouane Chamakh heading to the African Nations Cup next month, Wenger believes leading scorer Robin van Persie requires some support.
    Henry could feature in seven Premier League games, including key encounters against Manchester United and Tottenham, as well as FA Cup ties and the first leg of Arsenal's Champions League last-16 clash against AC Milan.
    If agreement is reached with Red Bulls he could start his second Arsenal spell in the FA Cup third-round tie against Leeds on January 9 after impressing Wenger with his sharpness during training.
    Henry, meanwhile, has clearly felt at home back in London and was moved to tears when a statue of him was unveiled at the Emirates Stadium this month, along with those of fellow Gunners legends Tony Adams and Herbert Chapman.
    Wenger added: "He is very happy and very modest about it. It was my idea and he was happy with the idea."
    Henry scored 226 times in 370 appearances for the club before moving to Barcelona in June 2007.

Uploads

Dimitar Berbatov: Contract option will be exercised

MAN UTD TO EXTEND BERBATOV DEAL

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Manchester United will be exercising the option they hold to extend Dimitar Berbatov's contract by a further season.
    Berbatov's current deal expires at the end of the campaign, but the Premier League champions have a 12-month option in their favour.
    The Bulgarian striker had been linked with a January move away from Old Trafford after struggling to command a place in the United starting line-up this season.
    Fulham were mooted as admirers of the 30-year-old, while his representatives claimed there had been contact regarding a potential return to Bayer Leverkusen.
    However, Ferguson has decided to keep the former Tottenham forward as part of his plans and will take up the option to extend Berbatov's deal.
    "We'll be exercising (the option to renew]," said the United boss. "I think it kicks in in March."
    Berbatov was the joint leading scorer in the Premier League last season, but has started only twice in the competition this term.
    He came off the bench to score his first league goal of the campaign in last week's 5-0 win at Fulham before plundering a hat-trick when starting the Boxing Day mauling of 10-man Wigan.

Uploads

Eden Hazard: Mancini has no plans for January move

MANCINI DISMISSES HAZARD TALK

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has denied holding talks with Lille about the possibility of bringing in Eden Hazard.
    Reports suggested City were lining up a January move for Hazard as Mancini prepares for the departure of Yaya Toure to the African Cup of Nations.
    Hazard's agent claimed earlier this week that the Premier League club were interested, but Mancini says there has been no approach at this stage.
    While Mancini is an admirer of the Belgian playmaker, he has no plans to try and secure his services in the New Year.
    "No, this is not true," he said on Sky Sports News.
    "He is a good player but at this moment we have not spoken about him."
    Mancini is keen to keep hold of Toure for as long as possible before he links up with Ivory Coast for international duty, and hopes to have him available for the FA Cup tie against Manchester United on January 8.
    "We are trying (to delay his departure) but it is difficult I think," said the Italian.
    "I think Yaya should leave after United."
    Mancini, meanwhile, has reaffirmed his admiration for Daniele De Rossi.
    De Rossi is out of contract at Roma in the summer, and Mancini has never hidden his liking for the midfielder.
    The Etihad Stadium chief has stated that he thinks it would be very difficult to prise the player away from his hometown club but he appears to still be firmly on the trail of the 28-year-old.
    "De Rossi? He is a champion and he would be the perfect man to improve City," he told Gazzetta dello Sport.
    "If we get the right signals, it is right that we try for him."
    Mancini also talked about his own future and a possible new deal with City, but admits that results will dictate any extension.
    "As for the job, I want to win the Premier League. It would be a great satisfaction earning the title with Man City after 34 years," he said.
    "A new contract for me? Right now they are just words. It depends on the results, but I'm fine at City.
    "I confess one thing: I'm glad to hear that City fans at the stadium chanting my name on the tune of 'Volare'."
    Mancini also defended Man City owner Sheikh Mansour, insisting he was not just throwing money at the club.
    "He's very careful with human values and respect for others. We met four or five times, which is not much to express an opinion, but I can say that it is very far from the cliché of Sheikh rich and spendthrift. He is not a man who thinks only to spend the money."
    On his current playing staff, Mancini was quick to pay tribute to Mario Balotelli and David Silva.
    "Mario can always have some idiocy, but he's growing," he said.
    "Maturity does not come in one day, let's give him time. He deserves it: Mario is a good guy."
    He also insisted that Silva can be ranked alongside any player in the world.
    "Silva is at Xavi and Iniesta levels. He's a champion. "
    Mancini has previously revealed his anger at losing Daniel Sturridge, and it still irks him as the Chelsea striker continues to impress.
    "Sturridge. It hurts to know that he has grown in the City's academy. It was a big mistake to lose him."

Uploads

Wayne Bridge: Not part of Mancini's plans

'BRIDGE SNUB' DENIED BY MANCINI

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has rejected Wayne Bridge's claim he refuses to talk to the defender and revealed he said two years ago that the former Chelsea man had no future at the club.
    Mancini recently questioned Bridge's motives for remaining at City, hinting that the player's salary of a reported £90,000 a week was the overriding factor.
    Bridge denied this and revealed his discontent at Mancini's managerial techniques.
    Now the City boss has hit back once more.
    "Bridge said I don't speak to him. That is not true," said Mancini.
    "I told Wayne two years ago that he was not part of our plans and if he wanted to find a good solution he should go somewhere else."
    Mancini said he hoped Bridge and fellow defender Nedum Onuoha would leave City during next month's transfer window.
    In addition, the City boss said it was possible Carlos Tevez could leave the club within 10 days if AC Milan accepted they needed to buy the Argentina star rather than take him on loan.
    "We hope AC Milan want to take him," said Mancini.
    "It could be close in one week or 10 days, but I don't know if it is possible.
    "We can close this situation but they cannot take him on loan."

Uploads

Mikael Lustig: Celtic switch

CELTIC CLINCH LUSTIG DEAL

Sweden defender Mikael Lustig will officially become a Celtic player on Sunday after his transfer to Glasgow was completed, the Clydesdale Bank Premier League side confirmed.
    The 25-year-old, who can play at right-back or in the centre of defence, agreed a three-and-a-half-year contract in November after leaving Norwegian side Rosenborg.
    Lustig watched Celtic go top of the SPL table with Wednesday's defeat of Rangers and could make his debut in Monday's match at Dunfermline.
    A statement on celticfc.net read: "Celtic Football Club are delighted to confirm that new Bhoy Mikael Lustig has passed his medical and confirmed his new deal.
    "The Swedish international, who signed a pre-contract earlier in the season, has been in Glasgow over the past few days to take in the derby victory and finalise his new contract - which will officially start on January 1, 2012.
    "Mikael will be officially unveiled as a Celt at a media conference at Lennoxtown today."
    Lustig's arrival strengthens the Swedish connection at Celtic, whose record goal-scorer is Henrik Larsson.
    Johan Mjallby was a successful defender for the club and is now manager Neil Lennon's assistant, Daniel Majstorovic is a key figure in the defence and Freddie Ljungberg had a short spell at Parkhead last season.
    Lustig will rival Adam Matthews, Cha Du-ri and Mark Wilson for the right-back berth.

Uploads

Henrik Ojamaa: Offered Motherwell contract

WELL OFFER DEAL TO OJAMAA

Motherwell have offered Estonian striker Henrik Ojamaa a contract until the end of the season - but he will not be available for Monday's clash with Rangers.
    Ojamaa, 20, impressed Motherwell manager Stuart McCall during a trial spell last month and is expected to wrap up his short-term deal in the coming days.
    The former Derby trainee is a free agent after leaving Finnish side RoPS.
    McCall said: "We'll be looking to tie him up but we haven't done it yet. We have offered him a deal until the end of the season and we're hopeful that will be accepted.
    "It won't be done for him to be involved at Ibrox because of all the paperwork for the clearance over the New Year period."
    Motherwell were looking to bounce back from their Christmas Eve defeat by Hearts against Dunfermline on Wednesday but the game fell foul of gale-force winds.
    Structural damage to the East Stand at Fir Park forced the game off for safety reasons but McCall was not unhappy that they will have to wait to return to action against Rangers.
    "It was a difficult one for us because we were desperate to get a game after not performing so well at Tynecastle," McCall said.
    "I certainly think it was the right decision for safety reasons but I sat watching the game at Parkhead and even that, in an enclosed area, the first half was really poor for conditions and you can times that by five out here for the openings.
    "It wouldn't have been a game of football, it would have been a farce.
    "We were disappointed in a way but pleased it was off in another way."

Uploads

James Tomkins: Will cost 'mega bucks'

Promotion-chasing West Ham have warned potential suitors they will have to pay "mega bucks" for defender James Tomkins.
    Tomkins has been linked with a January move to Premier League side Newcastle after a fine season for the Hammers in the Championship.
    It is believed the high-flying Magpies have already had a £3million bid turned down by the Upton Park club.
    Hammers boss Sam Allardyce admits he is anticipating further offers for the 22-year-old when the transfer window reopens.
    But he said: "While there might be some interest in James, it would have to be mega bucks for us to even consider it.
    "Not that we want to, but you never know what's around the corner. It would be the same for anybody else.
    "We just have to wait and see."
    West Ham are discussing a new long-term deal with their prized asset as they look to bounce straight back to the top-flight.
    Tomkins already has two-and-a-half years left on his current contract.

Uploads

Redknapp: Ruled out a move for Tevez

REDKNAPP RULES OUT TEVEZ MOVE

Tottenham will not make a move for Carlos Tevez in the January transfer window as signing the striker would place the club's long-term future in danger, according to manager Harry Redknapp.
    Tevez has fallen out of favour with City boss Roberto Mancini after a series of high profile spats caused the Italian to transfer list his former captain earlier this season.
    Despite claims that Tevez is close to a transfer to AC Milan, it has been suggested that Redknapp is keen on offering the 27-year-old a chance to stay in the Barclays Premier League with a move to White Hart Lane.
    Redknapp has repeatedly stated his desire to land a marquee signing in January that he thinks will boost his team's title push, but admits signing Tevez would be a risk not worth taking due to the Argentinian's wage demands.
    Tevez is reported to be on £250,000 a week at the Etihad Stadium - around four times what Spurs offer their top earners.
    "I like him. He is a great player," Redknapp said.
    "He is fantastic. A battler, a real talent but we are not going to be able to get him.
    "It's not happening. We are not pursuing it.
    "The chairman won't put the club in trouble for one player. His wages would be astronomical."
    Tottenham started the season with heavy defeats to the two Manchester sides but have lost just one game since and they now face a crucial month in which they can cement their status as serious title challengers if they maintain their current form.
    Ledley King has played a major part in turning Spurs' fortunes around.
    King played just nine games last term but he has already turned out 11 times this season and Spurs have not lost a game when the defender has played since August 2010.
    There were worries that this year could be the centre-back's last at the club when Redknapp claimed that he would only be offered a new deal if he completed 20 games.
    He backtracked on that idea today, however, insisting that there is no chance of King leaving the club when his current deal expires at the end of the season.
    "He's part of the furniture, he's a big part of this football club and I'm sure the chairman knows that as well," Redknapp said.
    "I'm sure he will look after him, I don't see Ledley leaving here, he hasn't got to play 20 games.
    "If he plays 12, 14 or 16 games, I don't think anyone's going to go: 'well you didn't reach 20'.
    "There's enough goodwill towards Ledley here for what he's been through and what he is.
    "If he only plays 10 games the chances are you might win the 10."
    King's chronic knee problem means he will not play at Swansea, but he is likely to be available for Spurs' following game against West Brom on Tuesday.
    There was good news from the treatment room regarding Michael Dawson.
    The former Nottingham Forest defender has missed the last four months with an Achilles injury, but is now back in training and has been pencilled in for a return in next month's FA Cup third round game against Cheltenham.
    Redknapp is delighted to have the defender back and now hopes he can put in a string of performances to work his way in to England's Euro 2012 squad.
    The Spurs boss said: "He can get in the squad. Hopefully he will. I'd love to see him go, he went to the World Cup.
    "It's great to see Michael back, he's a great guy, a great player and a great pro."
    Jermain Defoe is in contention for a place in Tottenham's starting line-up after making good progress in his recovery from a hamstring injury, but Redknapp may stick with the same XI that beat Norwich 2-0 on Tuesday.

Uploads

Rodgers: Signed new striker

SWANSEA SNAP UP RORY DONNELLY

Swansea have secured the signing of Cliftonville striker Rory Donnelly on a three-and-half-year deal.
    The 19-year-old's move will be officially completed once the necessary paperwork is processed when the transfer window opens on January 1, and he is set to join up with his new team-mates next week.
    Swansea had already agreed an undisclosed fee with the Belfast club, as well as personal terms with the player, who completed his medical today.
    Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers said: "We are delighted to be able to attract one of Northern Ireland's biggest talents."
    Swansea had been in pole position to sign the Northern Ireland Under-21 international, who has scored 17 goals so far this season, when they had an initial offer of around £100,000 accepted by Cliftonville, but interest from Merseyside giants Everton and Liverpool saw the Swans told to up their bid.
    However, Rodgers revealed on Thursday that a new fee had been agreed and, with Donnelly understood to have favoured a move to south Wales after visiting Swansea last week, the striker has now put pen to paper on a contract that will keep him at the Liberty Stadium until the summer of 2015.
    Rodgers said: "I am really looking forward to helping Rory fulfil his potential and, hopefully, over the next few years ensure that Swansea City has another exciting young player blossoming at the club."
    The deal is something of a coup for Swansea given they had to fight off the likes of Everton and Liverpool, and Donnelly revealed the time he spent with fellow countryman Rodgers proved decisive in him making what he described as a "dream" move.
    The teenager said: "Everything has happened so quickly that I still can't quite believe it. It's a dream come true.
    "I was really impressed with what the manager had to say when I met him. He couldn't have done anything more to impress me.
    "I believe I am signing for a brilliant manager who is prepared to give youth a chance. I also met the likes of Scott Sinclair and Joe Allen when I was over here last week and it only reinforced the belief that Swansea is the right club for me.
    "I know there was serious interest from Everton and Liverpool, but I love the way Swansea play the game and I think it will suit me.
    "The manager has told me there is no pressure on me because I am only 19. In time there will be pressure, but not right now.
    "He has shown a lot of faith in me and, hopefully, in time I can repay him with plenty of goals."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast