Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 01-01-12.

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 01-01-12.

Latest Transfer Update at 01-01-12.

Robin van Persie: Hinting he plans to stay at Arsenal

VAN PERSIE HINTS AT ARSENAL STAY

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has dropped a strong hint that he plans to stay at the Emirates.
    Van Persie's future has been the subject of speculation with the player yet to agree a new deal at Arsenal.
    The Dutchman, who scored his 36th goal of 2011 in Saturday's win over Queens Park Rangers, is entering the final 18 months of his contract and the likes of Manchester City and Barcelona are thought to be monitoring his situation in north London.
    Arsenal are keen to tie down Van Persie to a new long-term contract and the Gunners skipper admits he would be happy to stay in London as his family are settled in the capital.
    "We love the life in London and I enjoy watching my kids grow up here," said Van Persie. "They grow up like the English kids with good manners and values of England.
    "The place where we live, just outside the city, is fantastic. We have everything we want.
    "The English people are so incredibly polite where I live. People are nice here. That makes life a real pleasure.
    "My children have become more English than Dutch. They have taken up the culture and values of England.
    "It makes me melt at times when I see how well my children are doing here. When Shaqueel has half-term with school, he does not want to go back to the Netherlands any more."
    Van Persie also paid tribute to the Arsenal fans for the support they show him, admitting it gives him an extra boost to do well.
    "It is the biggest compliment I could wish for," added Van Persie. "Arsenal fans are real lovers of the game.
    "They don't miss anything in the stadium and are there for the team and the individual players.
    "I have to admit I love banners like 'We don't need Batman, we've got Robin' and stuff like that.
    "I also love it when I run on to the pitch and I hear the entire crowd roar. What bigger compliment could I wish for as player?
    "At Arsenal, the fans so want me to do well. And that gives me a kick. That's what I do it for. As a thank you, I want to give them so much in return on the pitch."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 01-01-12.

Thomas Vermaelen: Faces up to three weeks out

VERMAELEN ADDS TO ARSENAL INJURIES

Arsene Wenger admits he may have to delve into the loan market after Thomas Vermaelen was added to Arsenal's injury list.
    The centre-half is expected to be ruled out for up to three weeks with a calf strain sustained in Saturday's 1-0 win over QPR.
    The Belgian was already playing out of position at left-back to cover for the absence of Kieron Gibbs and Andre Santos, while the Gunners are also missing right-backs Bacaray Sagna and Carl Jenkinson.
    "We have lost Vermaelen for two or three weeks so I have to look if I can find somebody on loan," said Wenger.
    "It would be stupid for us to drop points because we don't have a left-back.
    "We now have three left-backs out. Francis Coquelin came on in this position and did quite well but he is a central midfielder."

Uploads

Andre-Villas Boas watches Villa beat Chelsea

AVB AVOIDS TALK OVER FUTURE

Andre Villas-Boas sidestepped fresh talk about his Chelsea future after seeing his side crash to another home defeat and slip out of the Barclays Premier League top four.
    Villas-Boas has reportedly been assured his job as manager is safe should he fail to win the title but the Blues are now in danger of not qualifying for the Champions League, something that could test billionaire owner Roman Abramovich's patience to the limit.
    The 3-1 defeat to Aston Villa was certainly not the result the Russian was looking for ahead of his 5million New Year's Eve party in the Caribbean, with Chelsea's habit of conceding late goals returning with a vengeance.
    Quizzed on what it might mean for his job security, Villas-Boas said: "You'll have to ask that question to the owner, but I have no other information on the contract."
    Pressed further on whether a top-four finish was a minimum requirement, he replied: "I think the minimum requirement for a club like this is first place."
    He added ahead of Monday's game at Wolves: "Now we are fifth, below the top four. But we have to wait and see.
    "It can change within 48 hours, though. That's a good thing. We have a chance to produce something."
    There were jeers from some home fans at the final whistle, which Villas-Boas admitted was justified.
    The Portuguese dismissed the prospect of closing the 11-point gap to leaders Manchester City - who play their game in hand at Sunderland on Sunday - as "fantasy".
    He added: "Our reality is a fourth-placed finish, but that is not good enough.
    "We have to continue to pursue the best possible finish in the league, and a humble finish for this club."
    Villas-Boas then launched a completely unprompted attack on the festive fixture list, which gave his side four matches in an 11-day period, in contrast to United, whose games were spread over 15 days.
    "I don't think it's fair for the calendar to be spread in this way," Villas-Boas said, less than two weeks after insisting he had no problem with the scheduling.
    "For us to go through this period with 48 hours in between, it should be done for every club.
    "I know that television demands are high, but for all the players, they'll go through physical strain and physical integrity, which can undermine their careers or their Euro 2012 ambitions - and the club's objectives."
    Villas-Boas once again refused to accept any criticism of his defence, which conceded late goals to lose a home match for the third time this season.
    Rejecting suggestions the signing of Gary Cahill was now a matter of urgency, he said: "I don't see that performance being only related to defensive problems.
    "If there is something to correct, we need to regain that confidence in the way we build up from the back.
    "It's an easy thing to solve with players of this technical ability. I will keep away from defensive fragilities."
    Villas-Boas was also non-committal on whether Didier Drogba would still be at Chelsea at the end of the January transfer window.
    The striker scored his 150th goal for the Blues from the penalty spot to draw level with Peter Osgood and Roy Bentley in the club's all-time list.

Uploads

Frimpong: Set for Wolves loan

WOLVES SET UP FRIMPONG MOVE

Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong will join Wolves on loan from January 1 until the end of the season, the north London club have confirmed on their website.
    The 18-year-old has forced his way back into the reckoning after a serious knee injury on the eve of the 2010/11 season saw him sidelined until April, when he returned for the reserves.
    The Ghanaian-born player returned to the first team this season and has made 14 appearances in all competitions.
    Frimpong will join up with Mick McCarthy's team on Sunday for the remainder of the campaign in order to get more first-team action.
    He will be looking to make up for lost time which forced him to look on as the likes of Jack Wilshere, who he played with in the Gunners youth team, prospered and even forced his way into the England team.
    Frimpong joined Arsenal as an 11-year-old and was a key part of the youth team that won the FA Youth Cup in 2009 and the Academy League title a year later.
    He was first called up to the first team when he was named as a substitute in the 2008/09 Carling Cup aged just 16 but due to his injury last season, Frimpong did not make his full competitive debut until August 2011 in a 2-0 defeat to Liverpool.
    While he has represented England at youth level, Frimpong is still eligible to represent Ghana at senior level although manager Arsene Wenger has urged the former to secure the player's services.
    A statement on the Gunners' website said: "Everyone at Arsenal wishes Emmanuel the best of luck during his time at Molineux."

Uploads

Gary Cahill applauds the Bolton fans on Saturday

COYLE: NO CONCERN OVER GARY CAHILL DEAL

Bolton manager Owen Coyle denied there had been a hitch in Gary Cahill's proposed move to Chelsea after the defender played possibly his last game for the Trotters in a 1-1 draw with Wolves.
    Coyle revealed on Friday a fee had been agreed for the England international but his Chelsea counterpart Andre Villas-Boas then described the two parties as being "miles apart" in their negotiations.
    Cahill received a great reception as he captained Bolton on Saturday and made a point of clapping all sides of the Reebok Stadium after the game.
    Coyle, who denied another club were involved, stressed there had been only one meeting between Cahill's agent and Chelsea, and insisted the deal was progressing as expected.
    He said: "I heard what Andre Villas-Boas said the other day that they were a bit apart. He's obviously heard from the one meeting.
    "They've only had one meeting with Gary's representative and then, with the games coming up, I had to make sure Gary was focused. Gary hasn't spoken to Chelsea yet.
    "It's like anything else, if I got into a meeting with you, we're not going to shake hands after two seconds and agree, you're going to be apart, that's how negotiations work.
    "Whatever comes in the next few days, it'll come, but if it doesn't then Gary remains a Bolton player."
    Coyle also said he had had no doubts about playing Cahill on Saturday, adding: "I know his character, he was focused, I thought his performance was terrific. I knew mentally he'd be fine."

Uploads

Sir Alex Ferguson: Not planning to quit at 70

FERGUSON PLANS 'THREE MORE YEARS'

Sir Alex Ferguson has said he intends to remain as Manchester United manager for another three years if his health remains good.
    Ferguson's 70th birthday celebrations on Saturday didn't go to plan as United were beaten 3-2 by Blackburn but in an extensive interview with MUTV, broadcast before the game, he confirmed his intention to remain in his job for a period of time that would make him the Premier League's oldest manager.
    "I hope I have a long time left," he said.
    "As long as my health stays up, I would hope to have another three years at the club.
    "I am still enjoying it. We have defeats but compared to what we have achieved, they are minuscule."
    Ferguson had declined the opportunity to talk about his birthday in his pre-match press conference on Friday ahead of the Blackburn game.
    However, even in his programme notes, he has given little indication of having his legendary hunger for success sated by all his achievements.
    "This time it is a milestone birthday and I suppose inevitably, Manchester United supporters are going to ask if a man of 70 is up to managing this great club," he told United Review.
    "As someone who loves his job I am not about to let my years alone dictate my future.
    "At my age health becomes the key issue for a man's work and I am happy to say I have been blessed with stamina and energy that sees me coping with what I admit is a very demanding job."
    And, whilst he has regrets, including the three more Champions League final appearances he feels United should have had during his time in charge, the chance to land a third European Cup will drive him on, as will the opportunity to bring through another group of talented youngsters.
    "We have players like Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Danny Welbeck who have not won any league medals," he said.
    "And, without question, winning the European Cup is important for this club."

Uploads

Dimitar Berbatov: Staying at Manchester United

BERBATOV PLANS MAN UNITED STAY

Dimitar Berbatov has revealed he has no plans to leave Manchester United and is happy at Old Trafford.
    United boss Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed earlier this week that they were planning to take up the one-year extension on Berbatov's contract.
    The 30-year-old's future has been the subject of speculation as he has started just two Premier League games this season, but the Bulgarian admits he is happy to stay as he remains part of Ferguson's plans.
    "There are always rumours about my future and some clubs are interested," Berbatov told The Sun.
    "But last summer I was told by United that they need me - and that was good enough for me.
    "As a professional I want to play in every game so I need to exploit all chances so no one can doubt my work."
    Berbatov is determined to fight for his place in the United starting XI despite slipping down the pecking order this term.
    "My worst moments are when I know the starting XI and I am not on the list," added Berbatov. "My objective in training is always clear - to give myself a chance of making the team.
    "Obviously I want to play but it is very complicated in a squad as good as United's, especially in attack. But when I'm on the bench I am full of tension because at any moment the chance to play might arrive. I'm never relaxed.
    "I think I have fulfilled my obligation with six goals this season set against the time I've actually spent on the field.
    "But my challenge is to play, score goals and to help us get more victories."

Uploads

Ledley King: Looks set to get new deal

LEDLEY KING LOOKS SET FOR NEW DEAL

Harry Redknapp admits Ledley King is likely to be handed a new contract at Tottenham, with the club not about to turn their back on him.
    It was originally claimed the injury-hit defender would have to make at least 20 appearances this term to earn an extended stay at White Hart Lane.
    With their no guarantee that he will hit that mark, it was suggested that King's 15-year association with the club could be coming to an end.
    Redknapp, though, has relaxed his stance and expects the 31-year-old will be offered fresh terms regardless of how many games he plays.
    "He's part of the furniture, he's a big part of this football club and I'm sure the chairman knows that as well," said Redknapp.
    "I'm sure he will look after him, I don't think anyone's going to go: 'Well you didn't reach 20'.
    "There's enough goodwill towards Ledley here for what he's been through and what he is. If he only plays 10 games, the chances are you might win the 10."

Uploads

Townsend: Will spent the rest of the season at Elland Road

LEEDS GRAB TOWNSEND ON LOAN

Leeds have completed the signing of Tottenham winger Andros Townsend on loan until the end of the season.
    The 20-year-old will go straight into manager Simon Grayson's squad for Monday's home clash with Burnley.
    Grayson told the club's official website: "Andros is a quality young player with proven experience at this level and we're delighted to be able to bring him to Leeds."
    London-born Townsend, who joined the Tottenham academy as a nine-year-old, has represented England at Under-16, U17 and U19 level and has had previous loan spells at Yeovil, Orient, MK Dons, Ipswich, Watford and most recently at Millwall, for whom he made 11 appearances at the end of last season.
    Townsend has featured for Spurs six times in the Europa League this season and also against Stoke in the Carling Cup.

Uploads

Sir Alex Ferguson: Backing his Man United squad

FERGIE WON'T MAKE 'STICKING PLASTER' BUY

Sir Alex Ferguson has no plans to make a 'sticking plaster' signing in the January transfer window and has faith in his Manchester United squad.
    The Red Devils missed the chance to go top of the Premier League on Saturday when they suffered a shock 3-2 Old Trafford defeat at the hands of struggling Blackburn.
    And with United having already been dumped out of the UEFA Champions League at the group stage, there were suggestions that Ferguson would look to bring in new faces this month.
    A lack of creativity in midfield was highlighted in the recent defeats by Basle and Rovers, while captain Nemanja Vidic's season-ending knee ligament injury has caused concerns at the back.
    With fellow centre-backs Rio Ferdinand, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans also on the treatment table, Ferguson admits he does have defensive headaches, but will not be looking to strengthen.
    The veteran tactician believes that players of a leading calibre are rarely available in January and insists he is happy with the strength in depth he has in all other areas of his side.
    He said: "Why should you put a sticking plaster on something? We're quite happy with what we've got at the moment.
    "Who is going to sell their best player in January? I don't see it happening.
    "I would like to get one or two out on loan, particularly the young strikers, but at the moment we don't need to do anything.
    "The form of Ryan Giggs and Michael Carrick has been outstanding.
    "I'm lucky I've got versatile players like Ji-sung Park, Antonio Valencia and Giggs who can play in a variety of positions and give me options.
    "The crucial thing, though, is to get our centre-backs back. That's the only caution I have about my team. Forward-wise and in midfield, we're OK."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast