Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 03-01-2012.

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 03-01-2012.

Latest Transfer Update at 03-01-2012.

Rafael van der Vaart: Going nowhere

NO SPURS EXIT FOR VAN DER VAART

Tottenham playmaker Rafael van der Vaart has ruled out leaving White Hart Lane during the January transfer window.
    It had been suggested the Holland international could move on with AC Milan leading the chase for his signature.
    The 28-year-old has encountered the odd run-in with Harry Redknapp, but he insists everything is "fine" with his manager.
    The former Real Madrid and Hamburg man believes Redknapp is doing an amazing job at the helm.
    Van der Vaart is aware of the rumours with Spurs flying high near the top of the table and he does not want to miss out on the title chase.
    "It's not true that I could be leaving in January," explained Van der Vaart. "Of course there are rumours when you are third in the table and you play good football.
    "People are always going to look and they are interested in the players of Tottenham, but this season nobody wants to leave - we are close to something special.
    "Of course I want to stay here. Everybody feels that we have a great team and it is really fun to play here - we have big players, experienced players and Harry is doing a great job.
    "Sometimes you can have a little problem with the manager, but you talk to each other and everything is fine.
    "Harry is doing an amazing job at Spurs and this season it feels that something more can happen."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 03-01-2012.

Robbie Keane: Linked with Aston Villa switch

REPORT: VILLA SEEK ROBBIE KEANE DEAL

Aston Villa are interested in signing Los Angeles Galaxy striker Robbie Keane on a two month loan, Press Association Sport understands.
    Villa have discussed the possibility of signing Keane in a move similar to the one which has seen his Galaxy team-mate Landon Donovan rejoin Everton.
    Boss Alex McLeish has admitted he has limited funds to spend during the January transfer window.
    But he is a long-term fan of the Republic of Ireland international and last season came close to signing him when Birmingham manager in a 6 million deal with Tottenham.
    The two clubs agreed a fee but personal terms proved a stumbling block and Keane joined West Ham on loan before making the switch to the United States during last summer.
    Villa also came close to signing Keane, 31, when he left Wolves 12 years ago but could not agree a fee and he joined Coventry.
    If Keane came to Villa, he would link up with Ireland team-mates Shay Given and Richard Dunne.
    It is believed Keane wants to stay sharp for the Euro 2012 finals by continuing to play before the Major Soccer League season begins in March.
    But terms with Keane and Galaxy have yet to be finalised.

Uploads

Andre Villas-Boas celebrates victory at Wolves.

RAMIRES WANTS AVB TO STAY

Chelsea midfielder Ramires does not believe the club will get anywhere unless they retain manager Andre Villas-Boas.
    The Portuguese tactician replaced Carlo Ancelotti over the summer and it has been anything but plain sailing for the Blues boss.
    Chelsea beat Wolves on Monday, although their New Year's Eve loss to Aston Villa means they have been defeated in a quarter of their top-flight matches this season.
    There have been rumours owner Roman Abramovich would wield the axe, although Ramires insists it would be wrong to lay all the blame at Villas-Boas' feet.
    "If Andre leaves, someone else will come - and if it keeps going on like that, we won't get anywhere," commented Ramires in the Sun.
    "The players know what Andre has done for the club.
    "It's an injustice to make the manager the one who's responsible for everything that happens with a team.
    "He's doing what he can until the players go on the pitch.
    "From that moment, it's not up to him, it's not for him to run or compete for a ball.
    "This is all part of the period of adaptation. We're trying to do what he wants but, unfortunately, there are times when we won't win.
    "We're not playing badly. We have to go on the pitch with a seriousness and desire to win until the end."

Uploads

Zamora celebrates his winner against Arsenal.

ZAMORA EXIT TALK PLAYED DOWN

Fulham manager Martin Jol has played down speculation linking Bobby Zamora with a January move away from the club.
    The England international was recalled after an Achilles injury for Monday's last-gasp 2-1 defeat of 10-man Arsenal.
    Zamora scored the all-important goal in stoppage time to put him in the headlines for the right reasons.
    The 30-year-old's relationship with Jol has been the subject of increasing scrutiny over recent months, but the Dutchman yesterday rejected such talk.
    "It's always the same," Jol said.
    "If you are number nine at any club and can make the difference, I'm very happy.
    "I love my players, especially when they score goals.
    "He was injured. We talk about it and make assessments two days before, he was injured.
    "He had problems with his Achilles and ankle and couldn't travel with us.
    "You have to play another player, and [Orlando] Sa scored which was good.
    "We did the same for this game and he said he could play so he plays because he is my main striker."
    Zamora has been linked with a January move away from Craven Cottage, with QPR, Sunderland, Aston Villa and Bolton all mooted as potential destinations.
    Asked whether the striker would leave during the transfer window, Jol said: "He has never asked me for a transfer request.
    "For me, it is just speculation. Maybe you know more than me?"
    Jol was more forthcoming when asked about Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac.
    The Cottagers have been linked with a loan move for the France international, who almost joined the west Londoners in August.
    "We had an interest in him in the last transfer window, then [Marseille manager Didier] Deschamps decided to keep him there because they could not get the player they wanted," Jol said.
    "He is still there and nothing changed. But he is injured as well.
    "I don't get injured players, it would be ridiculous."
    Monday's result was the first time former Tottenham boss Jol has got the better of Wenger, who was riled by the manner of defeat.
    The Frenchman was angered by referee Lee Probert's performance, arguing that neither of the bookings that led to Johan Djourou's sending-off were right and felt his side should have been awarded a penalty.
    Wenger also apportioned some blame on Fulham, whom he claimed had attempted to get the defender sent off.
    "When Djourou got the first card, every time he intervened they went down to get him a second yellow and he did nothing at all," Wenger said.
    "I saw it coming, you know. When they brought on [Kerim] Frei they looked for a second yellow card on Djourou and they got it."
    He added: "I do not need to make stories for newspapers. I tell you the game I have seen. I don't care about the rest.
    "I just felt that every time Djourou was on the fringe to get the second. You can watch the game [again]."

Uploads

Gary Cahill: Set for Chelsea switch

RICKETTS: GARY CAHILL IS A CLASS ACT

Bolton defender Sam Ricketts believes Chelsea will be signing a gem if they do manage to complete a deal for centre-back Gary Cahill.
    The two clubs have agreed a fee but the move does not appear to be a certainty, with Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas saying the parties were "miles apart" in their negotiations.
    Ricketts would love to see his friend remain at the Reebok Stadium and help the Trotters in their bid for survival, but he has no doubt Cahill would rise to the challenge if he does go.
    The full-back said: "It would be a big loss, he's been a fantastic player for the club and he's a great lad to have around.
    "He's someone I've got on really well with since I've come to the club but we can't do anything about that. If he goes, I wish him all the best and if not then we're delighted to have him.
    "They would be getting a really good, honest lad who wants to ply his trade at the highest level and is dedicated to do that. His feet are firmly on the ground and he's deserved everywhere he's got to so far."
    Ricketts has been on the sidelines during Bolton's poor start to the season recovering from a ruptured Achilles, finally making his return in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Wolves.
    It was a welcome development for Bolton boss Owen Coyle, who has been hampered by a lengthy injury list.
    "That's what I've been aiming for for a long time," said Ricketts.
    "Obviously there's me, Sean Davis, Stuey Holden, Lee Chung-yong, Tyrone Mears, and it's been a long time.
    "People don't realise that through the summer myself and Sean literally had five days off. The lads work extremely hard to get back fit and me and Sean have just started to come back in now. It's hard work and it can be a lonely road at times."
    It turned out to be an extra-special afternoon for Ricketts, who not only made his first appearance in more than 10 months but also netted his first goal for Bolton with a brilliant curling effort.
    He said: "It was something I'd been thinking about. They left a little gap for me to cut inside and then it was just a case of trying to feed it into the far post. That could be up there with one of the best goals I've scored."
    The point was not enough to lift Bolton off the bottom of the Barclays Premier League table, but Ricketts is hoping he can play his part in a change of fortunes.
    The Wales international said: "I just want to try to bring a little bit of freshness and different ideas. I've watched every game this season and I've seen the good things and the bad things.
    "My confidence shouldn't be down because I've not been playing so I'll try to bring that into the team and keep us on the front foot."

Uploads

Paulo Sergio: Set to lose players

SERGIO SET FOR TOUGH MONTH

Manager Paulo Sergio expects a challenging month ahead as Hearts appear destined to lose at least some of the squad which helped them to a 3-1 Edinburgh derby victory over Hibernian and fourth place in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.
    Goals from Ryan McGowan, Andy Webster and substitute Rudi Skacel secured Hearts' fourth win in 11 matches since their players' pay was first delayed in mid-October and took Sergio's side to fourth in the SPL on goal difference after St Johnstone's game at Inverness was postponed.
    With December's pay, which was due on December 16, still outstanding, Sergio faces an uncertain winter transfer window, but believes Hearts will sell should a realistic offer be tendered for any of their players.
    Ending a lengthy media silence, Sergio told BBC Radio Scotland: "I don't know what's going to happen in January. I know if we have a good proposition to sell, what I believe is we have to sell."
    Eggert Jonsson has already joined Wolves and Ryan Stevenson is on self-imposed leave with six months remaining on his contract.
    Sergio is aware his players, particularly after three wins in an unbeaten four-match run, are attracting admirers.
    He said: "I know our players have other clubs looking at them because they are playing well.
    "But I don't know what's going to happen. Let's wait. I believe we're going to have a hard January with all those movements."
    Sergio suggested it is owner Vladimir Romanov's desire to promote players from the youth team, rather than recruit more and dismissed the suggestion he might walk away.
    The Portuguese added: "I'm a fighter and our supporters can trust that since I arrived here I never thought about myself.
    "I love the club, I feel I'm a Jambo like them and I want to do what I can do for the best for Hearts."
    Hibs manager Pat Fenlon will bid to bolster his squad this month after Hearts extended his wait for a first victory.
    The Leith club are perilously close to the foot of the table and in need of swift improvement after one point from five matches under the Irishman and a nine-match winless run.
    Fenlon said: "Confidence at the club is low and that's up to me to try to change that.
    "We are trying to freshen up the squad if we can. We just have to wait and see.
    "There will be players who leave the club over the next week or two, but it's more important we get someone in."

Uploads

David Beckham: Set to stay at LA Galaxy

BECKHAM ON VERGE OF GALAXY DEAL

David Beckham is in discussions with the Los Angeles Galaxy over a two-year contract extension that could be signed within the next few days, Press Association Sport understands.
    Paris Saint-Germain confirmed on Tuesday that Beckham will not be moving to the French capital despite weeks of speculation that the former England captain was set to tie up a move to Ligue 1.
    Beckham is understood to have been put off by the idea of uprooting his family from the United States and is now in negotiations over a two-year extension with the Galaxy, who he joined in 2007.
    The midfielder has long been linked with a move back to Europe after it became clear that he wanted to move closer to England in order to boost his chances of making the Great Britain Olympic team.
    It is understood that he has received assurances that he will be seriously considered for selection even if he remains in the MLS, however.
    Between 15 and 20 clubs from across the globe have expressed an interest in signing the former Manchester United midfielder, including clubs from Asia, South America and the Barclays Premier League.
    The 36-year-old enjoyed his best season in the MLS last year, with the Galaxy beating Houston Dynamo in November to win the MLS Cup, and that is thought to be one of the major factors which has persuaded him to want to stay in the States.
    It is also understood that Beckham has been encouraged by the Galaxy's recent signing of former Tottenham striker Robbie Keane.
    It is thought the deal the Galaxy have offered Beckham is similar to the previous contract he signed, with part of his basic wage being boosted by any increase in revenue that comes from merchandise sales.
    PSG, who have substantial funds at their disposal after being taken over by Qatari Sports Investments in May, could not hide their disappointment at seeing a deal for arguably the most famous footballer on the planet fall through.
    "It's over," the club's sporting director Leonardo was quoted as saying on lequipe.fr. "It's a shame.
    "But the welfare of his family in Los Angeles, the wish not to change everything in his life, weighed heavily."
    Beckham came through the ranks and enjoyed a glittering career at Manchester United before joining Real Madrid in 2003.
    He won one Primera Division title and then joined the Galaxy on a bumper pay deal that saw him become easily the highest paid player in the country.
    Beckham spent two winters on loan at AC Milan during his original five-year deal at the Galaxy, which expired last week, and has also had training spells at Arsenal and Tottenham during the MLS off season.

Uploads

Steve McClaren: Heading back to Twente

STEVE McCLAREN LINKED WITH FC TWENTE

Former England boss Steve McClaren is on his way back to Holland to take over as FC Twente manager for the second time, Skysports.com understands.
    McClaren won the Eredivisie title with Twente back in 2010 and is poised to take over from Co Adriaanse, who was sacked on Tuesday after only taking charge in the summer.
    Adriaanse leaves with Twente in third spot in the standings but having lost their last three matches of 2011 in the Europa League, Eredivisie and KNVB Beker Cup.
    Twente are yet to officially confirm 50-year-old McClaren's appointment but he is expected to be unveiled in the near future.
    McClaren will be hoping to repeat the success he enjoyed with the Dutch side during his first stint at De Grolsch Veste.
    Since leaving in 2010, McClaren has endured ill-fated stints at Bundesliga side Wolfsburg and in the Championship with Nottingham Forest.

He has been without a club since leaving Forest in October after less than four months in charge.

Uploads

Lampard celebrates his winner against Wolves.

LAMPARD 'VERY COMMITTED' TO CHELSEA

Frank Lampard has insisted he remains "very committed" to Chelsea and urged the club to keep the spine of the team intact.
    Lampard's future has regularly been the subject of speculation and questions have been asked again this season about his happiness at Stamford Bridge after losing his status as a permanent fixture of the starting XI.
    He has made it clear that he wants to play every game but is respectful of Andre Villas-Boas' right to choose the team and will fight to stay at the forefront of his plans.
    Having joined the Blues from West Ham in 2001, the 33-year-old midfielder now feels totally at home and would never contemplate leaving.
    "I am very committed," Lampard said in the London Evening Standard.
    "The thing is for me it is much easier when I'm playing regular games and starting, playing 90 minutes to get into the rhythm that I have found since I have been here. That is what I love doing.
    "The boss is the boss, he picks the team, for me personally I know that's when I'm at my best (playing regularly).
    "I will always stay completely behind the cause of Chelsea because it's me now, Chelsea is my club."
    Villas-Boas is ready to let Nicolas Anelka and Alex leave Chelsea this month and reports have suggested several other senior players could soon be on their way out of the club.
    The likes of Didier Drogba, Florent Malouda and even captain John Terry have been linked with moves elsewhere, but Lampard believes it would be a mistake to put too much emphasis on younger talent at the expense of more established figures.
    He said: "We need our big players with John Terry, who was magnificent (against Wolves) at the back.
    "The spine of the team is what has made us what we are in the last seven years. I think it's important.
    "There are changes to the team and of course we all understand that things change with time, but what we are about is that spine to an extent.

"It's nice to see big players who have been here a long time producing the goods."
    The relationship between Villas-Boas and his players has come under scrutiny but Lampard maintains that the manager has the support of everyone at the club despite a difficult run of results.
    He added: "I think the team spirit is okay. When you're losing games it's the first thing people look at. It takes the big players in the dressing room and everyone collectively to stand up and make a difference, which is what we did against Wolves.
    "It (team spirit) is something we pride on ourselves at Chelsea for many years, it won us titles, won us a lot of things and it is something we can't lose because if you lose that, you can't be at the top."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Still set for Manchester City exit

CARLOS TEVEZ TALKS CONTINUE

AC Milan insist talks regarding a move for Carlos Tevez remain ongoing, but are adamant they will not bow to Manchester City's demands.
    Negotiations between City and Milan have been ongoing for several weeks, with the main sticking point being the Italian side's desire to take the player on-loan as opposed to the Premier League outfit's determination to sell him.
    Milan would like to agree a loan move with the right to make the arrangement permanent next summer, while City want a deal in place to ensure the move becomes permanent at the end of any loan.
    Reports in Italy have claimed Milan's city rivals Inter could make a late move for Tevez, but Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani insists the deal to sign the forward is still very much alive.
    "The negotiations are very much alive," said Galliani. "Manchester insist on a loan with an obligation to buy and we insist on a loan with the right to buy."
    AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri refused to be drawn on the club's pursuit of Tevez claiming the move is not a priority.
    "I don't know," said Allegri. "It's still too early to say, but Milan already has other stronger strikers and so we are not looking at the moment."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast