Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 04-01-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 04-01-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 04-01-2012

Maxi Lopez: Being linked with a move out of Catania

FULHAM 'MAKE BID FOR MAXI LOPEZ'

Fulham have made an offer for Catania striker Maxi Lopez, according to the Italian club.
    The Cottagers have scored just 22 goals in 20 Barclays Premier League games this season and England striker Bobby Zamora has been in and out of the side amid speculation about his relationship with manager Martin Jol.
    Powerful Argentinian Maxi, 27, would provide Jol with a fresh option up front, and Catania sporting director Pietro Lo Monaco revealed Fulham's interest.
    "On Maxi Lopez there are no developments as yet, but an offer has been received from Fulham and we are evaluating it," Lo Monaco told Radio Mana Mana.
    "We are waiting to see what the Italian clubs will do.
    "AC Milan are definitely out, while we will see what happens with Fiorentina. Lazio? I don't think they need Maxi."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 04-01-2012

Andronikou: We're in final stages of agreeing terms

POMPEY TAKEOVER DEAL CLOSE

Portsmouth are close to announcing new owners, according to administrator Andrew Andronikou.
    Pompey owner Vladimir Antonov stepped down in November as the npower Championship club's parent company Convers Sport Initiatives entered administration.
    But Andronikou, of UHY Hacker Young, has revealed a takeover deal is now close with a mystery consortium and told BBC Radio Solent: "We are in the final stages of agreeing terms with one particular party.
    "I'm hoping that in the next seven to 10 days I will have some news for the outside world."
    Andronikou added: "We've been actively looking for someone suitable to buy the club and we've had numerous interest as usual, some more suitable than others.
    "They are coming in for the first time and we are checking their credentials to see if they fulfil all the criteria for the Football League.
    "We are trying to scope out who they are and if they have the ambition and ability to take the club forward once and for all.
    "We are looking to negotiate a contract and subject to that being okay we will put forward their application to the Football League who can conduct their own fit and proper person test and give us the thumbs up.
    "Proof of funds has been done and we are fairly satisfied that they have the finances to take the club forward."

Uploads

Thierry Henry: 'Needed' back at Arsenal

SZCZESNY: WE NEED THIERRY HENRY

Wojciech Szczesny admits Arsenal "need" record goalscorer Thierry Henry back at the club.
    The 34-year-old Frenchman has agreed to rejoin the Gunners on a two-month loan deal from Major League Soccer franchise New York Red Bulls.
    Henry's deal is dependent on insurance agreements being worked out with the American club, and goalkeeper Szczesny is praying the deal goes through.
    "He's quality," he said. "He's a great finisher and he's very clever, very intelligent, plus he's a great figure to have in the dressing room.
    "He helps all the players off the pitch as well as on the pitch, so it's great to have him in the dressing room.
    "Hopefully everything will be done and confirmed as soon as possible because we need him."
    While Arsene Wenger admits Henry will not be match-fit immediately, Arsenal will be hoping to push through the deal before their FA Cup third round tie with Leeds.
    The north Londoners are in need of a morale boost after their last-gasp defeat at Fulham, having looked set for a fifth victory in six Barclays Premier League away matches.
    Steve Sidwell and Bobby Zamora netted in the final minutes of the match to secure the Cottagers a 2-1 win, with the catalyst seemingly Johan Djourou's red card for a second bookable offence 12 minutes before time.
    "Very confusing," was Szczesny's assessment when asked about the defeat.
    "I thought for 85 minutes we defended really well with 11 men and they never looked like scoring and then, when we had to play with 10 men, they looked very dangerous.
    "I'm very disappointed with the result but hopefully we can recover as soon as possible.
    "The fixtures come thick and fast and players get tired and these kind of results can happen.
    "We were hoping to take advantage of that. We felt we could [against Fulham] and were disappointed, so hopefully in the coming weeks we can do much better."
    Much of the post-match talk revolved around Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger's comments, which saw him hit out at Fulham players and referee Lee Probert.
    The Frenchman was upset by numerous matters, including Probert's decision not to award the Gunners a penalty after Philippe Senderos fouled Gervinho.
    Asked about the decision, Szczesny said: "I didn't see it from my end but from what the lads said in the dressing room it wasn't a penalty claim - it was just a clear penalty.
    "It seems like we don't get those decisions these days but, hopefully, next time they'll come for us."

Uploads

Buckle: Sacked after losing six of their last eight league outings

BRISTOL ROVERS BOOT FOR BUCKLE

Bristol Rovers have sacked manager Paul Buckle following a disappointing run of results.
    The npower League Two club made the decision to part company with the former Torquay boss, 42, after Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Barnet consigned them to a fourth successive loss which left them five points above the Football League's bottom two.
    Rovers have failed to win in eight league games - their last success coming at home to Dagenham & Redbridge on October 29 - and sit 19th in the table but do have an FA Cup third-round tie at home to Aston Villa to come on Saturday.
    Chairman Nick Higgs told the club's official website, www.bristolrovers.co.uk: "We are all very disappointed that this appointment has not worked out.
    "Although we are aware we need to find stability at the club, we felt we could not go any further with the current situation as the threat of relegation was becoming too real.
    "We started the season with a great deal of hope for a successful campaign but this has not been the case so far, despite promising early form.
    "Our aim this season was to strive for promotion and that has obviously not happened, so we felt we needed to make a change."
    Assistant manager Shaun North will take temporary charge while Rovers look for a successor.

Uploads

Mario Balotelli: Interesting time at Manchester City

SANTON: BALOTELLI FUTURE UNCLEAR

Mario Balotelli's Premier League future remains in the balance, says his Italy team-mate Davide Santon.
    The Manchester City striker has fallen foul of manager Roberto Mancini more than once in his time at the club since joining from Inter Milan in 2010.
    Most recently his revelation that he smokes provoked Mancini into admitting he would kick him 'up the backside' if he were his father.
    Balotelli looked to have settled down on the pitch in recent weeks with some consistent displays in the team - even if controversy still followed him off it.
    But Newcastle defender Santon, who became friends with the 21-year-old during their time together at Inter Milan, says the striker is still unsure about whether he will remain in England long term.
    "We often speak and sometimes we meet," Santon told Sky Sport Italia. "He doesn't have a proper smoking habit, he is just a quiet boy who wants to have fun.
    "I do not know what he wants to do in the future because sometimes he says he wants to return to Italy and sometimes he says he wants to stay a long time with City."
    City are locked in a head-to-head battle with their neighbours and defending champions Manchester United at the top of the Premier League table.
    And Santon believes the race to decide the top team in England will go down to the wire, adding: "I believe it will be a contest until the end of the season between the two Manchester teams - but I see City as favourites."
    The highly-rated Santon joined the Magpies in a 5m summer move but his debut was delayed because of an injury to his right knee.
    The injury meant that the full-back had to watch from the sidelines while fellow summer signing Demba Ba, who also has a history of knee problems, has emerged as the season's surprise package.
    His brilliant displays have caught the eye of many scouts and Santon is hoping he will not be tempted away from the club during the transfer window.
    "He's doing very well and I know there are many clubs interested in him," he continued. "We hope he stays with us for a long time."

Uploads

Alberto Gilardino: Departs Viola

GILARDINO MAKES GENOA SWITCH

Fiorentina have announced the transfer of striker Alberto Gilardino to Genoa.
    The 29-year-old, who was a World Cup winner with Italy in 2006, is thought to have cost around eight million euros (6.7million) and has agreed a deal for four and a half years.
    Gilardino's former clubs include Parma and AC Milan, with the latter selling him to the Viola for 15million euros (12.5million) in 2008.
    A statement on Fiorentina's website, www.violachannel.tv, read: "Fiorentina announces that it has sold striker Alberto Gilardino to Genoa.
    "The company would like to thank Alberto for the time he has spent with us and the pleasure he gave the fans. The club wishes him him every success for the rest of his career."

Uploads

Steve McClaren: Twente talks

STEVE McCLAREN IN TWENTE TALKS

Steve McClaren's Dutch agent Rob Jansen has revealed the former England manager is in official talks over a return to FC Twente.
    McClaren immediately emerged as the favourite to succeed Co Adriaanse, who was sacked on Tuesday by the Enschede club.
    And Jansen told De Telegraaf on Wednesday: "FC Twente and I are talking fast. We will see what comes of it."
    McClaren led Twente to their first ever Eredivisie title in his second season before leaving to take charge of Bundesliga side Wolfsburg in May 2010.
    The 50-year-old was sacked less than a year later and his most recent post was at Nottingham Forest, who appointed him as manager last June on a three-year deal.
    However, McClaren resigned from his post in October with Forest just one point and one place above the npower Championship relegation zone.
    Twente chairman Joop Munsterman said on Tuesday, in comments reported by Voetbal International, that McClaren and former Feyenoord and Hungary coach Erwin Koeman feature on a three-man shortlist to succeed Adriaanse.

Uploads

Kebe: Linked with a move away from the Royals

KEBE SET TO QUIT ROYALS

Brian McDermott has admitted that he is losing his fight to keep winger Jimmy Kebe at the Madejski stadium.
    Kebe refused an offer to become Royals' highest earner earlier this season while a bid from West Ham United has already been rebuffed.
    McDermott, keen not to lose one of his prize asets for nothing in the summer, told the Reading Post: "We either have to do a contract here, or my gut feeling, is that if a contract is not signed at Reading, then something will happen somewhere else.
    "There will be interest from other parties, I know that. We've had interest and we've had a bid. We turned it down, but that's all I will say."

Uploads

Roofe signs an 18-month deal at the Hawthorns

BAGGIES TIE DOWN ROOFE

West Brom have warded off suitors as midfielder Kemar Roofe has signed his first professional contract with the club.
    The 18-year-old attacking midfielder has signed an initial 18-month contract with an option to extend the deal.
    A product of West Brom's academy, a string of good performances in the reserves have been attracting attention from other Premier League clubs, but the player has opted to take up West Brom's offer.
    He told Skysports.com: "I'm delighted to have it signed. I've been here since I started playing football and it's the place I know I will benefit from further.
    "It's a great set up and the staff are fully supportive of everyone at the club.
    "I know I benefitted a lot as well from a loan in Iceland that the club set up for me pre-season and I now need to work hard to keep progressing."
    West Brom may now look to loan Roofe out once again to give him more experience of first-team football.

Uploads

Andre Villas-Boas: Has Mata's backing

MATA BACKING FOR VILLAS-BOAS

Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata insists manager Andre Villas-Boas is doing "very well" despite the club struggling to keep pace in the title race.
    The Blues are in a real battle just to qualify for the Champions League this season and Spaniard Mata, signed from Valencia in the summer, admits that the two Manchester clubs are in pole position for the title.
    Mata told Marca: "It's true we've had a little crisis of results, but Villas-Boas is doing things very well and both the players and the club have a lot of confidence in him. He won everything with Porto last year.
    "I get along with the coach and he tries to talk to every player in his own language.
    "I'm very happy in England and it's surprising how easily I've adapted as changing team is never easy.
    "It's clear however that Manchester City and Manchester United are the favourites to win the Premier League.
    "I phoned David Silva to tell him to make City put on the brakes a bit but they are not doing so!"
    Mata also backed fellow Spain international Fernando Torres to put his miserable first year at Chelsea behind him - the striker was praised by Villas-Boas after his part in the victory at Wolves on Monday.
    Mata added: "Torres was very good in the last game. He wanted to play a full game, is training hard and wants to contribute to the team.
    "He can rest assured that the team and the coach all have confidence in him. I'm sure he will score many goals for the club."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast