Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 08-01-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 08-01-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 08-01-2012

Darren Bent: Has been linked with move away

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish has revealed that Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has told him he is not interested in signing Darren Bent.
    McLeish was speaking after watching his side reach the fourth round of the FA Cup with a 3-1 victory at Bristol Rovers.
    England striker Bent, 27, who joined Villa from Sunderland a year ago, has been linked with a move away, with Liverpool reportedly among the favourites, and he played in Saturday night's win at the Memorial Stadium.
    McLeish has insisted that the player will not be sold, but rumours have persisted.
    However, the former Birmingham manager, who is also hopeful of completing a short-term loan deal for Los Angeles Galaxy striker Robbie Keane within the next 48 hours despite what he described as "red tape" holding up the move, says that no-one he has spoken to, including Dalglish, has expressed an interest in Bent.
    Of the continued speculation, McLeish said: "It's not frustrating, it's just the transfer window.
    "People like to speculate and use social networking sites and they are having a field day.
    "If there is anybody out there that wants him they certainly haven't contacted me and Darren has said on the record he wants to stay at the club.
    "Whenever I have asked anyone outside the club I've been told flatly 'No'.
    "I have spoken to Kenny and he said there was nothing in it."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 08-01-2012

Billy Sharp: Leicester agree fee

Doncaster have agreed a fee to sell striker Billy Sharp to npower Championship rivals Leicester.
    The 25-year-old, who has scored 10 goals this season, was left out of the Doncaster squad for today's 2-0 FA Cup third-round defeat by Notts County at the Keepmoat Stadium.
    Leicester manager Nigel Pearson has activated a clause in Sharp's contract, with the former Sheffield United player now due to discuss personal terms with the King Power Stadium club.
    Doncaster said in a statement on their official club website: "Rovers can tonight confirm that a fee has been agreed between ourselves and Leicester City for striker Billy Sharp."
    Regarding Sharp's future, Doncaster boss Dean Saunders said: "It's up to Billy."
    The fee is believed to be in the region of 3million for Sharp, who joined in a club-record 1.15million deal from Sheffield United in July 2010.
    Saunders added: "It will be a blow if he goes but it's not completely decided. He may decide to stay or someone else may come in for him."
    Sharp began his career at Bramall Lane and also played for Rushden before a hugely successful spell with Scunthorpe, where he scored 53 goals in 82 league appearances, which prompted a return to the Blades.

Nicky Barmby: Still set to take Hull job

Nicky Barmby is still hoping he will be confirmed as Hull's permanent manager by Monday.
    The Tigers reached the fourth round of the FA Cup with a 3-1 victory over Ipswich and Barmby confirmed after the match that he is still on track to take the full-time job.
    "Hopefully everything will be sorted by Monday," he told reporters when asked when confirmation is expected that he will retain his role at the KC Stadium.
    Barmby was pleased to see some of his fringe men impress as he made seven changes to the side that lost 1-0 at home to Derby last Monday.
    This win has now given the former Tottenham man a welcome headache as Hull look to continue their promotion push in the Championship.
    "The squad is strong now and you need everyone on their toes," he added.
    "I want people coming in and staking a claim because you don't want anyone who thinks they are going to play week-in week-out.
    "You really want the competition for places and the lads know that.
    "All in all it was a good day for us."
    Barmby is looking forward to Sunday's draw for the fourth round but he isn't too worried about who his side will come up against in the last 32.
    "It would be great if we got one of the big boys but whoever we get we will treat it as if we are playing one of the big boys.
    "It would be nice but we will have to wait and see."

Paul Jewell: Confirmed Ingimarsson's exit

Ipswich have terminated the contract of defender Ivar Ingimarsson by mutual consent.
    The former Reading man played his final match for the Tractor Boys in last Monday's 3-1 defeat against Nottingham Forest but it didn't get any better for them without him on Saturday as they lost 3-1 to Hull in the FA Cup.
    Boss Paul Jewell confirmed after the match that the Iceland international has departed Portman Road after only moving to Ipswich in the summer.
    "He's terminated his contract," Jewell told reporters after the game.
    "We came to an agreement with him and his agent early last week. It just hasn't worked out for him or for us.
    "He's been a terrific professional but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I think Ivar accepts that and we accept it.
    "From day one it's been stop-start so I just thought it was better to cut ties."
    Ipswich sit only three points above the relegation zone in the Championship but Jewell doesn't want to see many other players depart with the January transfer window now in full swing.
    "I don't want to see too many players going" he added.
    "We want to strengthen our squad as it needs strengthening and we'll see.
    "That doesn't mean there won't be any exits but I haven't had any interest in anyone."

Sean St Ledger: Ipswich transfer target

Paul Jewell has confirmed Ipswich are still in the running to sign Leicester defender Sean St Ledger and a mystery second player.
    The Tractor Boys failed to impress as they were dispatched 3-1 by Hull in the FA Cup and Jewell is well aware that his team need to do much better at the back.
    Centre-half Damien Delaney was forced to leave the KC Stadium contest with a foot injury and that has left the Suffolk side's defensive resources stretched to the limit.
    "It's an area we need to improve and are trying to strengthen," he said after the defeat against the Tigers.
    "I think everybody knows that. We have been trying to work since the window opened at bringing one or maybe two in."
    Jewell insists a deal to sign St Ledger, who has also been linked with a move to Italy's Serie A, is still a possibility.
    "I've spoken to (Leicester boss) Nigel Pearson and I've spoke to the player's agent.
    "It depends on the player as a few clubs are in for Sean.
    "We're in there but that's where we are as we've spoken with Leicester and we've spoken with the player's agent."
    The former Wigan chief also confirmed Ipswich are hoping to sign a second player in the near future with Norwich striker Aaron Wilbraham and Derby midfielder Paul Green among the men linked with a switch to Portman Road.
    "We have got another player that we're after as well and maybe we can do both of them but we certainly need to do one.
    "It's always a difficult time at the start of the window because we are all chasing the same type of player or the same player.
    "We're not the only club interested in both players."
    Jewell was desperately unhappy with the Tractor Boys' defending on Saturday and he didn't have any kind words about his side's display in East Yorkshire.
    "It's the same old story.
    "You'd have to see it to believe it really. That's why we are where we are because of that calamitous defending.
    "It's almost like they take it in turns to make a rick.
    "Any strength test we lose, any race we lose and it was the same last week against Forest and against Reading.
    "When it comes to the nitty gritty we miss out because we don't win enough battles."

Scholes: Back until the end of the season

Paul Scholes has come out of retirement to rejoin Manchester United for the remainder of the season.
    With injuries biting deep into his squad, Sir Alex Ferguson made the dramatic move to ask his veteran midfielder to return to the club as a player and and was immediatedly named on the bench for their FA Cup clash at Manchester City on Sunday.
    "It's fantastic that Paul has made this decision," said Ferguson.
    "It's always sad to see great players end their careers, but especially so when they do it early.
    "But he has kept himself in great shape and I always felt that he had another season in him.
    "It's terrific to have him back."
    Scholes brought his United career to an end after last season's Champions League final.
    However, he quickly revealed he felt the decision may have been premature.
    He has continued to be a regular face at United's Carrington training complex in his role as a coach with the club's reserve team.
    However, he will now be asked to aid United's quest for honours for the remainder of the season.
    "I've been pretty clear since I stopped playing that I miss it," said the 37-year-old.
    "I'm delighted the manager feels I can still make a contribution to the team and I'm looking forward to playing my part in trying to bring more success to this great club."
    It is believed Scholes was pressed into reconsidering by a number of senior colleagues, who felt the midfielder could still be a major influence on United's quest for honours at a time when so many central midfielders are absent.
    "He came to see me and said he wanted to come back, he was missing it too much," Ferguson told ITV. "There were no negatives as far as I'm concerned.
    "The players were fantastic about it, the fans I'm sure will be happy and I'm happy."

Franck Ribery: Happy to stay with Bayern

Franck Ribery can imagine staying with Bayern Munich "forever" after finding some of the best form of his career over the past six months.
    The French midfielder scored eight and created a further nine goals to help Bayern open up a three-point lead at the top of the table at the midway stage of the season.
    Speaking to the Bild am Sonntag newspaper in Bayern's winter training camp in Qatar, he revealed how happy he is with his football and how settled he now feels in Munich.
    "Munich is more than just a second home to me," he said.
    "I can imagine staying here forever. Who knows, maybe I will become the club's second president alongside Uli Hoeness.
    "But seriously, we are very happy here and you could say I am happier than I have ever been."
    Ribery believes he has a lot to thank Bayern for after a difficult few years both on and off the field.
    "Uli Hoeness and (chairman) Karl-Heinz Rummenigge have always stood by me," he said.
    "They have always supported me and my family and I am very thankful to them for it.
    "I have never seen such a strong heart within a football club - it is unique to FC Bayern.
    "I had a difficult two or three years and, to be totally honest, such a period really ruins you, also mentally.
    "But when you come through it and things go as well as they are going now, then you treasure it even more."
    And Ribery is now looking forward to the remaining four months of the season which he hopes will culminate in the ultimate joy of winning the Champions League in the Allianz Arena.
    "I desperately want to reach the Champions League final," he said. "Sadly, I was suspended in 2010 and that was disappointing.
    "My dream is to gift Uli Hoeness the Champions League title on May 19, but the league is also important.
    "I have a good feeling and the whole team is training well and is extremely ambitious.
    "I want to play as well as I have done for the past five months, then I also have the chance of winning the footballer of the year award like in my first season here.
    "But winning titles with Bayern is more important than that."

Redmond: Linked with Man City and Liverpool

Chris Hughton believes in-demand young Birmingham winger Nathan Redmond should stay at St Andrew's to further his development as a player.
    Redmond is 17 and has played only a handful of games including Saturday's 1-1 home draw with Wolves in the FA Cup - but is already being linked with the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool.
    Hughton can understand someone of Redmond's talent attracting attention but believes he is best served learning his trade at Birmingham.
    He said: "With a young player like Nathan, there is always speculation.
    "He's a young talent and he would be no different to any young talent at any club.
    "His name is going to get mentioned and he is developing well here. In the games he's played, you can see what he is.
    "He is a 17-year-old player that is still developing his game with the good and bad.
    "There were periods against Wolves when he was up against good Premier League players when he couldn't get his own way.
    "That's what will happen with him. His best place to continue developing is here."
    In an ideal world, Hughton would not have wanted a replay - on January 17 - with Blues still playing catch-up in the npower Championship after their Europa League exploits.
    He said: "At this moment, we are still in the FA Cup. It's where we want to be. But we could have done without the extra fixture with the amount of games we've got coming up.
    "It is a strain on the squad that we've got but we have to work around that one.
    "Even if you take a cup run out of the equation, we've certainly got enough games.
    "We go through a period in a few weeks of seven games in 25-26 days. "Irrespective of the cup run, the whole squad will have to be used over that period.
    "It will be impossible for players to play every single one of those games."
    Hughton took over last summer after the squad had been broken up following relegation and knows he is at the mercy of any predators during January.
    But he insists he has had no offers for defender Liam Ridgewell and is hoping to re-sign on-loan striker Chris Wood from the Baggies.
    Hughton said: "There will be speculation but at this moment we've not had one inquiry for Liam.
    "As for Chris, at this moment, he is a West Brom player. He's gone back to West Brom. His loan has finished.
    "But we've been in regular communication with West Brom and he is one we'd like to bring back."
    Hughton will be without midfielder Guirane N'Daw for the next month as he linked up with Senegal today for the African Nations Cup.
    Wolves boss Mick McCarthy is happy to still be in the FA Cup despite his side's battle against relegation from the Barclays Premier League.
    he said: "I'd much prefer a replay to being out of the cup. I'm okay with another fixture. That's fine.
    "We've got 18 games left in the league and I don't mind if there are more from a cup run.
    "I'm just glad we are still in there."
    McCarthy expects skipper and central defender Roger Johnson to be available next weekend at Tottenham after being substituted with an ankle problem against his former club.
    He said: "Roger rocked his ankle - as he did in training on Friday - and didn't want to come off as he was coming back to his old patch .
    "Had he just done it, then I probably would have let him try to run it off for five minutes.
    "But having done the same thing before, if he'd gone on to damage his ligaments it could have meant him being out for four to six weeks.
    "He's fine and should be okay for next week. I don't think there will be a problem."

Warnock: Sacked on Sunday evening

QPR have vowed to move quickly to appoint a new manager after sacking Neil Warnock as they look to preserve their Barclays Premier League status.
    Rangers lie 17th in the table, just one point and one place clear of the bottom three, having won just five of their 20 top-flight games this season in their first campaign back in the top flight since 1996.
    Warnock, who led them to the Championship title last season, has now been removed from the post, with former Fulham boss Mark Hughes strongly linked with the new vacancy at Loftus Road.
    A club statement said on "Queens Park Rangers Football Club has today parted company with manager Neil Warnock.
    "The board's commitment to retaining our Premier League status ultimately led to this decision. QPR assistant manager Mick Jones and first-team coach Keith Curle have also left the club."
    Chairman Tony Fernandes, who took over in the summer, said: "This decision has been made in the best interests of the club and I can assure everyone that this is not a decision that was made lightly.
    "Sadly, our recent run of poor form has seen us slip alarmingly down the table and the board felt it was the right time to make a change.
    "Neil has acted with honesty, professionalism and integrity throughout his time at the club, and I would personally like to thank him for his significant contribution to QPR over the last 22 months.
    "I genuinely wish him all the very best for the future and he will always be welcome back at Loftus Road."
    Warnock insists he leaves Loftus Road with his head held high.
    "Obviously I'm very disappointed, but having achieved so much, I leave the club with a great sense of pride," he said.
    "I have enjoyed my time here more than anywhere else and the QPR fans have been brilliant with me - they deserve success.
    "My biggest regret is that the takeover didn't happen earlier, because that would have given me the opportunity to bring in the targets I'd pinpointed all last summer and probably given us a better chance to succeed in the Premier League.
    "The board at QPR are hugely ambitious and I wish them every success for the future.
    "I've been involved in the game a long time and I will be spending the immediate future with my family and friends before deciding my next career move."
    The club statement revealed a further announcement on the recruitment of Warnock's successor will be made "in due course".
    Chief executive Philip Beard acknowledged they are under pressure to make an appointment to enable them to reinforce their squad this month.
    "We're going to be criticised whatever we do, like everybody else in football," he said on Sky Sports News. "We just believe this is the right decision at this time.
    "I'm not going to comment (on candidates) tonight but what I will say is that we're going to move as quickly as we can and we hope to make an appointment very soon.
    "We've got some people at the club that can help us in the very, very, very short term but we plan to move very quickly and get things sorted.
    "Time is against everybody and we're already into the second week of January. I think the reality is there are some funds there but we've got to make the right purchases.
    "It is a tricky month to try and make things happen but our appetite is to bring one or two players in if we can to strengthen the squad and the new manager will be part of that as soon as we can identify him and spend time looking at some of our targets."
    Prolific Twitter user Fernandes told fans the decision "was not knee-jerk", adding: "Trust me in my 47 years of life I have never had to make such a tough decision. But I got to do what I think what's right.
    "Its tough being a leader. But decisions have to be made for the club which in the short time I have grown to love ever so much."
    Neil Warnock factfile:
    1948: Born Sheffield, December 1.
    Warnock spent an 11-year career in the lower leagues where he played for Chesterfield, Rotherham, Hartlepool, Scunthorpe, Aldershot, Barnsley, York and Crewe.
    1981: Enters management with Northern Premier League side Burton.
    1985: Moves on to Scarborough who secure promotion into the Football League.
    1989: Joins Notts County and guides them from the old Third Division to the First Division in successive seasons.
    1993: Joins Huddersfield.
    1995: Wins fourth promotion in nine seasons, taking the Terriers into the First Division.
    1996: Becomes manager of Plymouth and wins promotion via the play-offs.
    1997: Takes over at Oldham in March but spends just 15 months in charge and suffers relegation.
    1998: Appointed Bury boss in succession to Stan Ternent but they are relegated and he leaves after 18 months.
    1999: December 2 - Takes up the manager's position at Sheffield United after Adrian Heath steps down at Bramall Lane.
    2002: April 5 - the Football Association issue six charges relating to incidents during the Sheffield United match against West Brom. Warnock charged with improper conduct after the game is abandoned with the Blades reduced to six men and the Baggies leading 3-0 in 'the Battle of Bramall Lane'.
    2002: May 2 - Warnock cleared but found guilty of misconduct in relation to the fourth official during the West Brom game. Handed a reprimand and a 300 fine.
    2003: January - Takes United to semi-finals of the League Cup before losing 3-2 on aggregate to Liverpool.
    April 13 - Warnock's team lose 1-0 to Arsenal in FA Cup semi-final.
    May 26: Lose to Wolves in the play-off final at Millennium Stadium. Warnock banished from touchline after confronting referee Steve Bennett in players' tunnel at half-time.
    2005: December 1 - Warnock turns down a move to Portsmouth to continue as Blades boss.
    2006: April 15 - Following the Blades' win at Cardiff the previous night, Leeds' inability to beat champions Reading at Elland Road confirms their Yorkshire rivals' automatic promotion to the Premiership.
    April 18 - Sent to the stands by referee Graham Poll during the 1-1 draw with Leeds at Bramall Lane following an altercation with Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell.
    May 18 - Given a six-match touchline ban, four of which were suspended, and a 1,000 fine following the incident against Leeds at Bramall Lane.
    August 19 - Oversees his first game as a Premier League manager, a 1-1 draw with Liverpool at Bramall Lane.
    September 22 - Takes charge of his 1,000th game as a manager when the Blades lose 3-0 against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium.
    2007: May 11 - Announces he has turned down a new two-year contract offer.
    May 13 - United are relegated by one goal on goal difference following a 2-1 defeat by Wigan and West Ham's 1-0 win at Manchester United.
    May 16 - Leaves United.
    October 11 - Unveiled as new Crystal Palace manager.
    2008: May - Leads Palace to the Championship play-offs where they are beaten in the semi-finals by Bristol City.
    2010: January 28 - Palace are deducted 10 points by the Football League for going into administration.
    March 1 - Appointed manager of QPR on a three-and-half-year contract after a compensation package was agreed with Palace.
    2011: May - Secures promotion to the Premier League after QPR win the Championship.
    August - Malaysian business tycoon Tony Fernandes completes his takeover of QPR.
    2012: January 8 - Sacked as manager of QPR.

Rooney celebrates after netting his second

WAYNE ROONEY: I'M GOING NOWHERE FA Cup. Click here to bet.

Wayne Rooney insists he wants to remain at Manchester United for "a long time" after scoring twice in a thrilling 3-2 FA Cup win at Manchester City.
    Rooney scored either side of a Danny Welbeck strike as United led 3-0 at half-time, City having had captain Vincent Kompany sent off.
    But the 10 men came back strongly after the break with Aleksandar Kolarov and Sergio Aguero on target and had United hanging on at the end.
    Rooney's future has been the subject of speculation and he made a point of clutching the United badge after scoring his first.
    Asked if he had a point to prove against City, Rooney told ITV: "No, not at all. Everything that has been in the press of late is a load of nonsense really.
    "There is no problem for me at this club, I want to be at this club for a long time."
    Paul Scholes came out of retirement and was named on the bench, coming on in the second half.
    And Rooney admitted the United players did not know about the situation until they got into the dressing room before the game.
    "It was a bit of a shock to be honest, we didn't know until we were in the dressing room, but he's a great player," he said.
    On the game, Rooney said: "We knew it was going to be difficult today, going 3-0 up we maybe took our foot off the gas a bit.
    "City got two goals and we had to make sure we saw the game out and thankfully we managed to do that."
    United boss Sir Alex Ferguson claimed he had no problem with Rooney and warned the striker he had to learn to get used to negative headlines.
    He told ITV: "There's absolutely no problem with Wayne what Wayne has got to realise is the press have got another (Paul) Gascoigne and he's got to suffer with that."
    Ferguson insisted Kompany's red card for a two-footed tackle on Nani, in which he won the ball, was the right decision.
    "I think so, I've seen him do it before, he maybe got off in the past," added the United boss.
    "I think if he catches Nani then he's got a problem."
    Ferguson was unhappy with his team's second-half display.
    "I think we made them better than they were," he said. "We were just so careless in the second half
    "At 3-0 up at half-time they thought they were through and took their foot off the peddle.
    "It was a careless performance, we should have been home and dry."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast