Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 09-01-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 09-01-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 09-01-2012

Boateng in action against Fulham earlier this season

BOATENG CLAIMS FULHAM SNUB

Ghana midfielder Derek Boateng claims Dnipro have turned down two approaches from Fulham to take him to the Premier League.
    Boateng only joined Dnipro last summer on a four-year contract from Getafe after also attracting interest from West Brom.
    He subsequently impressed against Fulham in the Europa League qualifiers and was reportedly the subject of a loan offer from the Cottagers before the summer transfer window closed.
    Fulham boss Martin Jol is understood to still be a fan of the 28-year-old as he looks to improve his options this month.
    Boateng claims an offer to sign him on loan now was rejected by Dnipro and a further enquiry regarding a deal at the end of the season was also knocked back.
    "When the transfer window opened Fulham approached Dnipro to sign me on loan but my club flatly turned down the offer," Boateng told MTNFootball.com.
    "Fulham then offered to sign me in the summer but that was also rejected. So I won't be moving to Fulham."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 09-01-2012

Maurice Edu: Sochaux target

EDU BRUSHES OFF TRANSFER TALK

Maurice Edu insists he will ignore speculation over his future and continue to deliver the goods for Rangers.
    The United States midfielder was the subject of a failed bid from French outfit Sochaux, who revealed he was high on their January wanted list.
    But Rangers boss Ally McCoist last week claimed the offer was nowhere near the Scottish champions' valuation of the player, while reiterating his desire to keep Edu at Ibrox.
    Speaking after Sunday's 4-0 William Hill Scottish Cup win at Arbroath, Edu said: "I am enjoying myself and I am enjoying winning and I am enjoying playing.
    "Right now my focus is just on playing week in, week out and continuing to get wins for the club."
    McCoist also revealed he wanted to see Edu commit himself to a new deal, rather than sanction his departure.
    Edu added: "I'll just focus on playing and I will leave that up to my representatives. I'm just looking forward to the next game.
    "It's always encouraging to hear that the staff are pleased with the way you have been playing and the things you have done for the club.
    "It's encouraging and it makes you want to work that little bit harder and continue to keep progressing and add a little bit to the team."
    Edu suffered a dip in form last season but feels he is back on top form this term.
    He said: "I'm happy with the way things are going and hopefully I can chip in with a few goals in the coming weeks. I'm pretty pleased with the way things have been going."
    He was also impressed with the efforts of fringe players, such as John Fleck and Salim Kerkar, during Sunday's cup win.
    Kerkar netted his first competitive goal for Rangers to put the gloss on the win late on after goals from David Healy and Nikica Jelavic and an own-goal from Craig Wedderburn.
    Edu said: "It's always difficult coming to places like this but I thought we imposed ourselves from the kick-off and we were able to reap the benefits of our hard work.
    "It's a difficult thing to come in if you haven't been playing but I think the guys who have been called upon have done well.
    "They have been eager and have showed that in training and when they got their chance they did themselves justice."
    Arbroath boss Paul Sheerin said: "We were maybe a bit naive but we don't really defend great at the best of times so I thought we would try to have a go.
    "They got two goals close together and it was an uphill battle after that."

Uploads

Simon Cox next against Cardiff

COX DETERMINED TO KEEP PLACE

Simon Cox has admitted he would love to remain at West Brom but is refusing to gamble on where his future may lie.
    Striker Cox gave boss Roy Hodgson food for thought on Saturday by scoring a hat-trick to see Albion into the FA Cup fourth round thanks to a 4-2 win over npower Championship club Cardiff.
    The goals came after he admitted last week he may have to consider leaving The Hawthorns to guarantee himself first-team football, having only played a bit-part role so far this season.
    Cox claims he has had a conversation with Hodgson on Friday in which he was guaranteed a run of games in the side.
    "It all sounded positive," said Cox.
    "Let's hope what he says is right and I can stay in the team, but that comes from my performances, so hopefully I showed what I can do on Saturday and that has given him a headache.
    "With the injuries we've got he said there could be a run of games for me at the moment, whether it be up top, on the left, the right or wherever.
    "He said 'If you get the run of games, you've got to show what you can do'.
    "That's all I've ever asked - to get three, four or five games on the bounce, not just go in for one and out for the next regardless of the result."
    Cox, though, cannot rule out the prospect of moving on this month.
    "Ideally, I'd love to be here," added Cox, who had previously only scored one goal this season before grabbing his trio against City.
    "If I am here by February 1, I see myself being here at the end of the season, but it's not my choice, I don't know."
    Asked if he was a betting man and the odds on his career prospects, he said: "I am, but not on my future because you never know what will happen in football."
    As to whether there has been any interest, Cox is in the dark as he said: "I don't know, you would have to ask Dan Ashworth (sporting and technical director).
    "He and the gaffer are the ones who get the phone calls.
    "As far as I am concerned I am just getting my head down, doing my work in training and hopefully when given a chance, I'm performing because you never know who is watching."
    Cox's angst as to his future is understandable given he broke into the Republic of Ireland set-up last May and is now eager to secure a place in the squad for the Euro 2012 finals in June.
    "This next six months is one of the biggest of my career so far," said Cox.
    "I said to the gaffer on Friday that if I am to guarantee my place on that plane I feel I have to be as fit and as sharp as possible, and in as good form as possible."

Uploads

Gary Hooper: Celtic striker has been linked with Southampton

LENNON WON'T LOOK TO SELL TRIO

Neil Lennon has dismissed speculation he is prepared to sell Celtic trio Kris Commons, Gary Hooper and Adam Matthews during the January transfer window.
    Commons and Hooper have been linked with Championship leaders Southampton, while Liverpool are rumoured to be interested in Matthews.
    All three players missed the Scottish Cup win over Peterhead on Sunday, but Lennon rejected reports that he is prepared to break up his squad.
    "It's speculation," said Lennon. "I'm not interested in anyone being sold unless the club receives a knock-out offer.
    "Kris will be in contention for a place against Dundee United next weekend. Gary missed Peterhead because of a niggle and so did Adam. James Forrest has a virus.
    "The only one I was worried about was Joe Ledley, who had to go off after a challenge I wasn't happy with but I didn't think there was anything malicious about Peterhead.
    "We did lose Beram Kayal to injury last week and you do worry about more problems being created.
    "But we were quicker to the ball than the opposition and that can cause tackles to be mistimed. The referee booked three players and that's the way he called it.
    "I was just happy to see Emilio Izaguirre get 90 minutes and see the team deliver a professional job to reach the next round. There was a good rhythm about us."

Uploads

Cameron Stewart: Leicester target

PEARSON: STEWART NOT FOR SALE

Hull have insisted Cameron Stewart is 'not for sale' after Leicester made an improved bid to sign the winger.
    It was revealed on Sunday that the Foxes had upped their offer for Stewart to 1.5million after seeing a bid of 1million turned down last week.
    Leicester's former Hull boss Nigel Pearson is keen on a reunion with Stewart, but the Tigers have rejected the revised offer from their Championship rivals.
    And Hull's head of football operations Adam Pearson has called on Leicester to stop 'messing around' after stressing Stewart will not be leaving the KC Stadium.
    "Cameron Stewart is not for sale, end of story," Pearson told the Hull Daily Mail.
    "We don't want to sell Cameron and the player doesn't want to go, so Leicester are wasting their time.
    "We've told them to stop messing around. If this is designed to unsettle the player, it won't work.
    "We're treating it with the disdain it deserves and my advice to them would be to move on to other targets.
    "None of the players we want will be leaving the club this month.
    "Cameron knows where he will be playing his football. He is not interested in leaving and we're not interested in selling him."

Uploads

Michael Appleton: Wants to enter transfer market

APPLETON: TIME FOR POMPEY TO PLAY UP

Portsmouth boss Michael Appleton thinks January is the "perfect opportunity" for the club's potential new owners to make an impact.
    Administrator Andrew Andronikou said last week that a deal to sell the club could be in place soon but Appleton is keeping his feet on the ground until there is official confirmation.
    The former Manchester United midfielder didn't have an update on the off-field situation after the 4-0 defeat at Chelsea in the FA Cup but he did take the chance to call for some stability at Fratton Park.
    When asked if he had any news about a possible takeover, he said: "Just probably what you already know at the minute.
    "Obviously Andrew Andronikou has come out and said a few days ago that we'd have a new owner in the next 48 to 72 hours.
    "I did sit down with the players and say 'please take that with a pinch of salt' because you've got to be more cautious than anything on this one.
    "I think from our point of view we're told that these two or three really interested parties are pushing each other very hard.
    "Going into the second week of January I think it's important that we can get a little bit of stability in the football club with the new owners.
    "I see it as a perfect opportunity for the new owners in January as it is a perfect opportunity to come in and stamp their authority on what their ambitions are for the club."
    Appleton has plenty of targets if he gets to enter the January transfer window but he still feels there is enough strength in Pompey's squad to impress in the Championship.
    "The longer the January window goes on the opportunities that you get to bring players in dwindles a little bit," he added.
    "I've been doing about three or four lists of different scenarios and I think I'm on my third or fourth at the minute.
    "We stay positive as we've got a good bunch of lads.
    "They've shown that over the previous seven or eight games and for 83 minutes we gave them (Chelsea) a right good game."

Uploads

Robbie Keane: Training with Aston Villa

ROBBIE KEANE SET FOR VILLA MOVE

Robbie Keane trained with Aston Villa on Monday ahead of his expected loan move from Los Angeles Galaxy.
    The 31-year-old Republic of Ireland striker was shown training with his future team-mates in a video on Villa's official website as he waits to complete his return to the Barclays Premier League on a short-term deal.
    Villa boss Alex McLeish revealed after the club's FA Cup third-round victory over Bristol Rovers on Saturday he expected to soon wrap up the signing of the former Tottenham man, with only red tape holding up the deal.
    Keane is expected to join on a two-month loan deal during the MLS off-season.
    If the paperwork is completed in time Keane could make his debut against Everton on Saturday, where he will come up against his Galaxy team-mate Landon Donovan, who is on loan at Goodison Park.

Uploads

Mark Hughes: Early bookmakers' favourite

QPR WANT NEW MANAGER BY WEEKEND

QPR chief executive Philip Beard hopes to have a new manager in place before this weekend's Barclays Premier League trip to Newcastle but is remaining tight-lipped about prospective candidates.
    The Rs have already begun their search to replace Neil Warnock, who was sacked on Sunday night following in indifferent start to the season in which the top-flight newcomers have picked up just five wins from their 20 matches and lie 17th in the standings.
    Mark Hughes has emerged as the bookmakers' favourite to replace Warnock, but Beard refused to confirm or deny they had been in talks with the former Manchester City and Fulham manager.
    Beard told BBC Radio Five Live: "I can't confirm anything, what I can tell every QPR fan is that we're working extremely hard to bring in the right person to build some stability at the club and then build for the future.
    "We've talked to a lot of people in the game. We've got to get the decision absolutely right.
    "We've been working very very hard in the last 48 hours to make sure that we can put in place a structure that we feel can deliver success to Queens Park Rangers, hopefully for this season but certainly beyond."
    Beard hopes that appointment will be made before this weekend, adding: "I'm hoping that in advance of our important game against Newcastle next Sunday we will have somebody in place, to be up at Newcastle."
    Warnock led the west Londoners back to the top flight after a 15-year absence last season but, with QPR only a point above the bottom three, Beard insisted the time was right for a new face on the bench.
    "We haven't made the change lightly because of the skills and success that Neil brought to the club but I think QPR fans will understand why we are making the change now," Beard said.
    "We want to remember what he achieved here but we need to move on, we have big aspirations and goals for the club under the new ownership and we think the time is right now to make the change.
    "It's not easy at any stage to make a decision like this but we believe it's the right decision for the club and for the fans."
    He added: "Results have not been good over that last few months and we're now in the January transfer window, we want to do some business in that window if we can and we think if we bring somebody in now it's the right time.
    "We're sitting above the relegation zone, but that's not where we really want to be or hoped to be at this stage of the season and we think that making the change now gives us the best chance of staying in the Premier League this season and then really kicking on and building the club in the future."

Uploads

Daniele De Rossi: In talks over new Roma deal

ENRIQUE CONFIDENT DE ROSSI WILL STAY

Roma coach Luis Enrique is confident Daniele De Rossi will remain at the club despite speculation linking the Italy international with a move away from the club.
    De Rossi's current deal expires this summer and talks over a new contract have so far proved unsuccessful, while he has been linked with a move to Manchester City.
    "There is a negotiation between the club and the player," Luis Enrique said to Corriere dello Sport. "It's up to him to decide and I think he will stay.
    "He is a very important player for us and I don't like the idea of thinking about a Roma without him.
    "But I'm not worried, my only focus is on improving this team."
    The lack of progress over new contract negotiations regarding De Rossi is concerning the Roma faithful, however. The 28-year-old midfielder has become a fans' favourite at the Stadio Olimpico since making his debut with the Giallorossi in 2001.
    Roma general director Franco Baldini has urged the club supporters to be patient.
    "Just like in any negotiation, there is a time period," he said. "Each side tries to get the best possible deal. We are still negotiating."

Uploads

Oli Johnson: Left Carrow Road

OLI JOHNSON LEAVES CANARIES

Norwich striker Oli Johnson's contract has been cancelled by mutual consent, the club have confirmed.
    The 24-year-old made 23 appearances for the Canaries, 19 from the bench, and has scored four times since he joined from Stockport in January 2010.
    Johnson also had two loan spells with Yeovil, including at the beginning of this season, before he returned to Carrow Road.
    Norwich manager Paul Lambert said in a statement on the club's official website, www.canaries.co.uk: "Oli was a massive part of our season and promotion from League One and we wish him all the best for the future."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast