Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 10-01-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 10-01-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 10-01-2012

Pienaar: Linked with Everton return

PIENAAR STILL HAS PART TO PLAY - HARRY

Harry Redknapp has reassured Steven Pienaar and the rest of his fringe players that they can break into the Tottenham first-team in the second half of the season.
    Tottenham face Everton at White Hart Lane on Wednesday knowing a victory will put them level with second-placed Manchester United and three points behind Barclays Premier League leaders Manchester City.
    Redknapp is likely to recall the likes of Rafael van der Vaart, Luka Modric and Gareth Bale after resting them for Saturday's 3-0 FA Cup win over Cheltenham.
    That could mean a return to the bench for Pienaar, who has started just five league games for Spurs and been linked with a return to Everton on loan, but Redknapp has told the 29-year-old that he can still force his way into his first-team plans.
    "Players like Pienaar and (Niko) Kranjcar are good players and they can get in the team," Redknapp said. "You saw on Saturday that they have quality and they have a big part to play between now and the end of the season.
    "Pienaar is a good lad and he is in the running to play on Wednesday now that he has got a game under his belt."
    The South Africa midfielder suffered a concussion after clashing heads with team-mate Bongani Khumalo in February and picked up a niggling groin problem towards the end of last season.
    He was confident the problem had gone away, but it flared up again in pre-season and he had to undergo surgery as a result, ruling him out until mid-September before another two setbacks kept him sidelined until November.
    "With Pienaar the problem has been his injuries," Redknapp said. "He has never really got up and running. He seems to have injury after injury.
    "He was one of their main players at Everton and it has been a difficult year for him."
    While Pienaar has kept his counsel over whether he wants to leave Spurs this month, a number of players have made it clear that they want to depart.
    Heading that list is Russia striker Roman Pavlyuchenko, who is attracting interest from his homeland.
    The 30-year-old scored Tottenham's second on Saturday to take his tally for the season to four goals in seven starts, but is well down the pecking order following the arrival of Emmanuel Adebayor and the good form of Van der Vaart and Jermain Defoe.
    Redknapp has been strongly linked with a bid to replace Pavlyuchenko with Newcastle striker Demba Ba, but the Spurs boss will only sanction the Russian's departure if he has a deal in place to sign a replacement.
    "He probably wants to leave, but we can't sell him unless we can find someone who we think could make the difference to us," Redknapp added.
    "It's no good getting rid of Pav if you can't replace him. You'd leave yourself with two strikers - Adebayor and Defoe - so we can't do that.
    "Pav has quality and he can play. If he is at it, where do you find a better striker? You don't. He is up there with the best.
    "He can shoot and score goals. If his mind is on the job you wont find too many better than Pav."
    Tottenham have a number of injury problems ahead of Wednesday's game, mainly in defence.
    Ledley King is out for several weeks with a hamstring tear and William Gallas has a calf injury, meaning Younes Kaboul is likely to partner Michael Dawson - who himself has only just come back from a four-month Achilles injury - at centre-half.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 10-01-2012

Aaron Ramsey: Hasn't been consulted

RAMSEY IN DARK OVER WALES SEARCH

Wales captain Aaron Ramsey says he has not been consulted by the Football Association of Wales over their search for a new manager.
    The death of Gary Speed in November left Wales without an international boss, and the process of identifying a suitable successor is under way.
    Ramsey, 21, is keen for Speed's former assistants Raymond Verheijen and Osian Roberts to stay on in the coaching set-up, with Verheijen having indicated he would like the chance to take over as manager.
    Ramsey said he would also welcome the appointment of a senior figurehead, providing the current coaching staff are kept on, as Wales look to maintain the improvement they showed under Speed.
    But the Arsenal midfielder feels that the FAW should have been in touch by now to seek his views on the way forward for the team.
    Asked if they have been in contact, Ramsey told BBC Radio Five Live: "Disappointingly, no they haven't. I've spoken to some of the other players as well and they haven't been told anything."
    Ramsey suggested that other countries would have conducted the search differently by involving senior players.
    "Obviously in the circumstances I thought they would have contacted myself and a few other players to ask for our opinion," he said.
    "We don't want to be taking a backwards step again and having a big change and players not wanting to turn up and play for their country.
    "At the moment everybody wants to play. Everybody is reporting for international duty and enjoying themselves."
    Dutchman Verheijen, who has helped coach Holland, Russia and South Korea, was brought into the Wales set-up shortly after Speed's appointment in December 2010 and had helped oversee a recent run of four wins in their last five internationals.
    Ramsey has warned of the potential for Wales, who have climbed to 48th place in the FIFA rankings, to move in the wrong direction if the FAW make the wrong appointment.
    His comments echo those of Gareth Bale from December, when the Tottenham and Wales winger said he hoped the FAW would "come to their senses and stick with what we've got".
    "Gary brought in a lot of staff and we had a structure there which we all knew, what we had to do, and we just want as little change as possible," Ramsey said today.
    "We had great results in the last few games.
    "Everyone was playing with confidence and the style he and the staff have shown us we've adapted to well.
    "We don't want to have a big change now and have to go through that process again."
    Verheijen has expressed firm interest in taking charge and Ramsey would not want to see he and Roberts leave.
    "Absolutely, I think that's key," Ramsey said.
    "I've spoken to a few of the other players about it and they all feel like I do.
    "We need to keep the staff we have now and I think what we've done so far has been really good and we can still build on it.
    "So keeping the same people there is going to be key to our success I think.
    "We don't want a new manager who is going to bring in a whole new staff which is going to bring their own styles and techniques."
    He added that the appointment of a "figurehead" such as former Wales and Liverpool striker Ian Rush could be "a good option".
    Ryan Giggs has been linked with the post on a part-time basis, although reports have claimed Manchester United may block that option.
    Ramsey said: "I'm not sure about what his feelings are about it but to have somebody like that would be a great appointment."

Uploads

Robbie Keane: Set for Aston Villa loan move

BANNAN KEEN FOR KEANE LINK-UP

Barry Bannan believes Aston Villa's young squad will reap the benefits of the arrival of striker Robbie Keane, whose loan deal from LA Galaxy is expected to be completed soon.
    Keane is set to join the midlands club for a two-month spell until the Major Soccer League restarts in March.
    He could face his Galaxy team-mate Landon Donovan in Saturday's home Barclays Premier League clash with Everton. Donovan has rejoined the Toffees for a second loan period.
    Midfielder Bannan said: "Robbie is a player I watched when I was growing up. If you are getting players like that, it is good for the club.
    "Robbie will add to the strength and the depth of the club as well.
    "For the younger players, it is great to have a player of that calibre and experience in the squad even for a short spell.
    "Our squad is pretty young experience-wise and having another wise head is only going to help us as a group.
    "Robbie has been around for ages and played at the top level."
    Keane's expected arrival is well timed with fellow striker Emile Heskey side-lined for up to a month with an achilles injury.

Uploads

HULL MAKE BARMBY PERMANENT MANAGER

Hull have appointed Nick Barmby as their manager on a permanent basis.
    Barmby, 37, took caretaker charge of the Tigers in November following Nigel Pearson's return to Leicester, initially overseeing a run of five wins in his first seven games.
    A disappointing three-game losing streak soon followed but, after leading Yorkshire club to a 1-0 FA Cup third round victory over Ipswich on Saturday, he has been handed the reins indefinitely.
    Barmby announced the move into full-time management would bring down the curtain on his 21-year playing career.
    The former England player told Hull's official website: "It is a great honour for me to become manager of my hometown club and I'm looking forward to the challenge.
    "Although it has been a big decision to call time on my playing career, I have enjoyed my spell in charge so far and am excited about continuing to work with a talented group of players.
    "It goes without saying that both myself, and the backroom staff that we have in place, will be working hard to ensure success."
    Barmby, who moved to the KC Stadium in 2004, takes control having helped lead the club to sixth place in the npower Championship.
    Hull's head of football operations, Adam Pearson, is hoping the stability brought about by the appointment will ensure a successful campaign.
    "We are delighted that after a period of negotiation Nick has committed his future to the club as manager of Hull on a full-time basis," Pearson said.
    "In his short spell as caretaker manager, Nick has already had a positive impact on the team, and his decision will provide a real boost as we go into the second half of the season."

Uploads

Didier Drogba: Out of contract in the summer

GUANGZHOU DENY DROGBA TALK

Chinese giants Guangzhou Evergrande have denied speculation they are lining up a January bid for Chelsea striker Didier Drogba.
    But Shanghai Shenhua reportedly remain keen to sign the Ivory Coast international to resume his partnership with recent signing Nicolas Anelka.
    National champions Guangzhou were rumoured to be ready to offer $625,000 a week to Drogba, who is entering the final six months of his current contract at Stamford Bridge.
    But a Guangzhou spokeman said: "We have had no contact with Drogba whatsoever, nor have we authorised anyone to contact him.
    "The recent reports on Drogba are pure speculation, he is not in our plans."
    Shanghai, who are expected to appoint Jean Tigana as their new coach this week, have already declared their interest in signing Drogba during the January transfer window.
    Newly-promoted Dalian Aerbin have also been linked with the 33-year-old, who has stalled on signing a new deal with the west London club.

Uploads

William Gallas: Planning to see out Spurs deal

GALLAS ADMITS MLS INTEREST

Tottenham defender William Gallas has revealed he would be interested in a move to America or Qatar before the end of his career.
    The 34-year-old, who has 18 months left on his contract, insists he plans to see out his deal at White Hart Lane before considering a move to the US or Qatar.
    The former Chelsea and Arsenal man claims he has spoken with Thierry Henry about a possible move to the MLS and that is something he would be interested in pursuing.
    "I believe I can play on for another season and after that I will decide on USA or Qatar," French TV station TF1.
    "The MLS was interesting before and I spoke with Titi (Thierry Henry, who plays for New York Red Bulls) but I still wasn't sure. During this time, PSG made an offer, but I rejected it because of my family."

Uploads

Scott Allan: Has joined West Brom

SCOTT ALLAN HEADS FOR BAGGIES

West Brom have signed midfielder Scott Allan from Dundee United, the Clydesdale Bank Premier League club have confirmed.
    The 20-year-old has moved to The Hawthorns for an undisclosed fee.
    United manager Peter Houston told the club website, www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk: "I'd like to wish Scott all the best for his future career, it is a fantastic opportunity for him to go down to the English Premier League.
    "The completion of the deal at this time was beneficial for both the player and the club."

Uploads

Mark Hughes: New QPR manager

MARK HUGHES IS NEW QPR BOSS

Mark Hughes has been confirmed as QPR's new manager after signing a two-and-a-half-year contract with the west London club.
    The 48-year-old succeeded Neil Warnock, who lost his job on Sunday night after Rangers slumped to within a point of the Barclays Premier League relegation zone.
    Hughes appeared already to have been earmarked as Warnock's replacement, with the former Manchester City and Wales boss commencing formal talks with QPR on Monday.
    Hughes quit Fulham at the end of last season after less than a year in charge, suggesting the club's ambitions did not match his own.
    He therefore sought assurances on that front from QPR before agreeing to join the npower Championship winners, who were taken over earlier this season by Malaysian tycoon Tony Fernandes.
    Reports suggest Fernandes is ready to bankroll a January recruitment drive which could see between 20million and 30million of new talent arrive at Loftus Road, with plans for a new 30,000 seater stadium also in the pipeline.
    Hughes, who took charge of first-team training on Tuesday afternoon before being formally unveiled on Wednesday, told the club's official website: "It's a great feeling to be back in football and to be the manager of QPR.
    "I'm fully aware of the challenge in the short and long term and I am genuinely excited about the ambition of the owners.
    "Nobody can doubt the history of this great football club and the passion of its fantastically loyal supporters.
    "Now the immediate priority is to consolidate our place in the Barclays Premier League, but beyond that, the future is very bright and fills me with great enthusiasm."
    Chairman Fernandes said: "Mark has a proven track record in the Premier League, bringing a wealth of experience at both club and international level.
    "He has a great passion to achieve as a manager and has already been hugely successful in his career.
    "His ambitions match those of the board and we are delighted to have him at the helm."
    Vice-chairman Amit Bhatia added: "Mark has a great managerial pedigree and has proven over the years to be a very astute manager.
    "I am looking forward to working with him to bring success to the club."
    Chief executive Philip Beard said: "Having spoken at length with Mark, I know he is brimming with enthusiasm and anticipation about the challenge of taking QPR forward and I believe he is the perfect choice to deliver the success we all desire."
    Hughes, who had been linked with both Aston Villa and Sunderland since quitting Fulham, will be joined at QPR by assistant manager Mark Bowen, first-team coach Eddie Niedzwiecki and goalkeeping coach Kevin Hitchcock.
    A raft of players have been linked with Rangers, including Didier Drogba, Alex, Christopher Samba, Nedum Onuoha, Darren Bent, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Bridge and Brazilian striker Henrique.
    They have already seen a reported bid of between 1.5million and 2million rejected for Fulham forward Andy Johnson, who like Blackburn defender Samba has played under Hughes.
    Hughes' first game in charge will be Sunday's trip to Newcastle, before which QPR could find themselves in the bottom three.
    It was fear of immediate relegation to the Championship which prompted Fernandes to axe Warnock after a return of only two points from the last eight league matches and Saturday's FA Cup scare at MK Dons.
    That was despite Warnock transforming the club's fortunes in his 22 months there, ending their 15-year exile from the Premier League in his first full season at the helm.
    Prior to that, Rangers had 11 managers, including caretakers, in just over four years in what was one of the most turbulent periods in their history.
    Fernandes' takeover in mid-August allowed 63-year-old Warnock to add a host of big names to his squad, but with mixed results.
    Warnock has insisted he bears no grudges over his exit, but disputed the club's decision and was confident he would have kept them up.

Uploads

Roberto Mancini: 'Not a big squad'

MANCINI BEMOANS LACK OF DEPTH

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has defended his call for further investment in his squad.
    After spending around 250million on new players since his arrival two years ago, Mancini attracted scorn on Friday when he claimed City would struggle to fill their substitutes' bench for the FA Cup defeat to Manchester United.
    As it turned out, City did come up with seven replacements, although they included Abdul Razak and Denis Suarez, who have just six first-team appearances between them, all but two from the bench.
    Things may be even worse for Wednesday's Carling Cup semi-final first-leg encounter with Liverpool.
    Star man David Silva is a doubt, in addition to Mario Balotelli and Edin Dzeko.
    And although Gareth Barry does return from suspension, skipper Vincent Kompany is starting a four-match suspension after the FA rejected his appeal against the red card he received against United on Sunday.
    At a time when resources are already depleted due to the absences of Yaya and Kolo Toure on African Nations Cup duty with the Ivory Coast has led to Mancini raising the possibility of 17-year-old Dutchman Karim Rekik being involved.
    Which just goes to prove City's squad is not quite as deep as some people imagine.
    "All the people think we have a lot of players," said Mancini.
    "But we have 19, plus keepers. It is not a big squad.
    "If we are unlucky and we have three or four players injured, like at this moment, we can have a problem. The club knows this."
    The spectre of UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations being invoked means Mancini may have to sell before he can bring anyone else in.
    Yet the Italian claims there has, so far, been no movement on the potential departures of Nedum Onuoha and Wayne Bridge, who is likely to be on the radar of new QPR boss Mark Hughes.
    And, whilst Carlos Tevez is now being courted by Inter Milan as well as AC, at present there is no deal.
    It all adds to Mancini's sense of frustration, in a period he always felt would be pivotal to his side's chances of landing some silverware.
    "I said four weeks ago that December and January would be crucial months," he said.
    "Until three weeks ago we didn't have any injuries. Now, we have a problem.
    "We have players injured and others who went to the African Nations Cup at a crucial moment.
    "I am not happy about this but we can't do anything about it. If we don't get the players back we will play with the young players.
    "If we don't have a central defender we will play with (Karim) Rekik."
    Even with Kompany missing, Rekik will not be required to start on Wednesday night.
    However, Stefan Savic, who only celebrated his 21st birthday on Sunday, will.
    Signed for 6million from Partizan Belgrade in the summer, Savic has started just one Premier League game - at QPR in November when City emerged 3-2 victors in a thrilling encounter.
    In addition to that, the Montenegro international has amassed just 94 minutes' top-flight experience in six substitute appearances.
    Yet he will be the man who partners Joleon Lescott after the FA came down on the side of Chris Foy over the contentious decision to dismiss Kompany for his 12th minute foul on Nani.
    Mancini is bound to be annoyed by the verdict, even if it was fairly predictable.
    "My opinion has not changed," said the Italian on Tuesday morning, prior to the announcement.
    "I am confident because Vinny only played 10 minutes.
    "He was sent off for nothing. He has already missed one game.
    "I don't think about this (being banned). It would be not correct if that happened."
    Mancini also claimed he was right to point out that Wayne Rooney gestured to referee Chris Foy for Kompany to be sent off, even though the United star claims to only have been pointing out it was a two-footed tackle.
    "I joked with Wayne Rooney. But he did it," said Mancini.
    "Nani was there. He didn't say anything."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Interests Inter Milan

INTER'S CARLOS TEVEZ INTEREST CONFIRMED

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has confirmed the club are keen to sign Carlos Tevez.
    The Nerazzurri are looking to beat AC Milan in the race to acquire the wantaway Manchester City striker in the current transfer window.
    When asked about his club's interest in Tevez, Moratti told the club's official website: "If you do something you don't do it as a joke, but because you think it can be a good operation.
    "We've acquired information on how things are going, there's room to act, we'll see if we can do it or not.
    "There are still three weeks left. It's not about being optimistic but rather seeing how things are."
    Reports in Italy claim Inter are willing to sign the 27-year-old Argentina international on loan until the end of the season with an option to buy him in the summer for 27 million euros.
    It is believed Tevez prefers a move to AC Milan.
    Tevez, who returned to his homeland in November without City's permission and is yet to report back to training, is under contract with City until June 2014.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast