Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 11-01-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 11-01-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 11-01-2012

Robert Lewandowski: High praise from Ribery

RIBERY - LEWANDOWSKI BETTER THAN GOTZE

Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery believes Robert Lewandowski would be a better signing for the club than his Borussia Dortmund team-mate Mario Gotze.
    Germany's teenage midfielder Gotze has been linked with a move to the Allianz Arena, despite insisting he is happy at Dortmund, with Bayern president Uli Hoeness recently promising one big-money signing for next season.
    Ribery, though, believes striker Robert Lewandowski would be the better option.
    "For me, Lewandowski is more valuable than Gotze, he is a super player," he told Sport Bild magazine.
    "Gotze is more of a central player, not for out wide. Lewandowski is a great striker.
    "When I look at Dortmund, then it is Robert Lewandowski who catches my eye."
    While Gotze plays a similar role to Ribery, Lewandowski is an out-and-out striker.
    The Pole has scored 12 goals for Dortmund this season and fulfils the criteria of the "attacking bomb" Hoeness has vowed to find.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 11-01-2012

Ba: Armand Doorn is 'nothing for me'.

DEMBA BA RUBBISHES 'AGENT' CLAIMS

Demba Ba claims to have no association with an agent claiming the Newcastle striker is wanted by Manchester United.
    Armand Doorn, a man said to work for Ba's management team, says the Red Devils have joined the list of clubs weighing up a January approach for the Senegal international.
    With it having come to light that Ba has a release clause included in his Newcastle contract, speculation regarding his future on Tyneside has been steadily mounting.
    He only linked up with the Magpies last summer, following West Ham's relegation out of the Premier League, but it is being strongly suggested that he could be on the move again during the winter transfer window.
    Doorn has fanned the flames by claiming that Manchester United have joined the chase, with the Red Devils having expressed an interest without making a formal approach.
    Ba, though, claims to have no working relationship with the representative in question and has sought to bring an end to the incessant rumours.
    "Really, I don't know how desperate this "armand doorn" can be to talk like he's my agent!!" Ba posted on his official Twitter account.
    "He's nothing for me. Stop lying and show respect."

Uploads

Carroll: Tyneside return denied by agent

NEWCASTLE IGNORE CARROLL REPORTS

Newcastle are refusing to become involved in the soap opera surrounding the future of Liverpool striker Andy Carroll.
    The Magpies woke to headlines suggesting they could make a cut-price £10million swoop to end the 23-year-old's miserable year on Merseyside.
    However, as they attempt to fend off any interest in their current leading marksman, Demba Ba, the Tyneside club played down speculation that Carroll could be heading back to the north-east.
    It's understood there has been no contact between the two clubs, and the towering frontman's camp have insisted they have neither been told to look for, nor are they seeking, a new club for a man whose £35million switch to Anfield 12 months ago caught the footballing world by surprise.
    In addition, Carroll himself has told friends he will not be returning to Newcastle with Luis Suarez's eight-game suspension likely to hand him the chance to finally establish himself in Kenny Dalglish's team.
    The link with Carroll is perhaps understandable with Ba, the man who has taken over his mantle on Tyneside with such aplomb since the summer, having himself been thrust into the headlines in recent days.
    Much to the Magpies' annoyance, news of a release clause in his contract has been made public to leave them on red alert for an approach during there current transfer window.
    Ba headed of to meet up with the Senegal squad for the African Nations Cup having enhanced his reputation enormously with 15 goals banked in his Newcastle account already.
    Alan Pardew snapped up the 26-year-old on a free transfer during the summer after West Ham's relegation triggered a clause in his contract.
    Pardew pounced while others hovered, concerned about the player's fitness after he had failed a medical at Stoke in January last year.
    Although there was no transfer fee involved, the deal was hugely complicated and had significant financial implications, and any attempt to lure him away might prove similarly convoluted and expensive.
    Ba himself has moved to distance himself from at least one person claiming to represent him whose comments have helped to fuel to rumour mill, and while his current employers remain relaxed about the situation, a move to renegotiate his current deal is understood to be under consideration.
    In the meantime, the Magpies will concentrate on their own January targets with a central defender their main concern, although despite Pardew's admission that the addition of another striker was unlikely this month, they have rekindled their interest in Paris St Germain's Turkey international Mevlut Erding.
    It is perhaps in midfield where the manager enjoys his greatest strength in depth, although he suffered a setback on Wednesday when it emerged that teenager Sammy Ameobi could be missing for several months.
    The 19-year-old limped off during Tuesday's 3-1 reserve team victory over Wigan after a 50-50 challenge, and tests have since indicated significant damage.
    Newcastle have not disclosed details of the injury, but initial reports suggested the England Under-21 international hurt a knee.
    A spokesman said: "Sammy Ameobi will be sidelined for a period of time, likely to be a number of months, as a result of an injury sustained in the Reserves' win over Wigan."
    Ameobi has emerged as a promising member of the first team squad this season, and has made 13 appearances to date, 12 of them from the bench.
    He scored his first - and to date, only - senior goal for the club in a 2-1 Carling Cup second round victory at Scunthorpe on August 25, and made his full Barclays Premier League debut at Manchester City on November 19.
    However, with Hatem Ben Arfa now back fit and Danny Guthrie approaching a return, Pardew at least has cover in the midfield department.

Uploads

Sammy Ameobi: Ruled out with unspecified injury

SAMMY AMEOBI INJURY BLOW

Newcastle midfielder Sammy Ameobi could be sidelined for several months by an injury suffered on reserve team duty.
    The 19-year-old limped off during Tuesday's second string victory over Wigan and could face a lengthy spell on the sidelines.
    A club spokesman said: "Sammy Ameobi will be sidelined for a period of time, likely to be a number of months, as a result of an injury sustained in the reserves' win over Wigan."
    The England Under-21 international, the younger brother of Magpies striker Shola, left the field during the second half of a 3-1 victory over the Latics with initial reports suggesting he had damaged a knee.
    Ameobi has emerged as a promising member of the first team squad this season, and has made 13 appearances, 12 of them from the bench.
    He scored his first - and to date, only - senior goal for the club in a 2-1 Carling Cup second round victory at Scunthorpe on August 25, and made his full Barclays Premier League debut at Manchester City on November 19.
    News of his injury will come as a huge blow to manager Alan Pardew, who already has defender Steven Taylor and midfielder Sylvain Marveaux on the long-term injured list.
    However, with Hatem Ben Arfa now back fit and Danny Guthrie approaching a return, he at least has some positive news.

Uploads

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Enjoying life at Arsenal

CHAMBERLAIN HAPPY AT ARSENAL

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has denied reports that he wants to leave Arsenal.
    It was reported on Wednesday morning that the 18-year-old winger, who signed from Southampton last summer, wants to leave the Emirates Stadium on loan this month after becoming frustrated at his lack of first-team action.
    The England Under-21 star has been used sparingly by Gunners boss Arsene Wenger this term - he is yet to start a Barclays Premier League game - but he insists he is not looking to move.
    He wrote on Twitter: "Just to confirm, any rumours about me wanting to leave are completely false, couldn't be happier at Arsenal £AFC £VictoryThroughHarmony."

Uploads

Dedryck Boyata: Staying at Bolton

BOYATA TO STAY WITH BOLTON

On-loan defender Dedryck Boyata will stay at Bolton for the remainder of the season.
    As part of the deal agreed in July parent club Manchester City had the option to recall their player midway through the campaign.
    With Vincent Kompany starting a four-match ban and Kolo Toure away at the African Nations Cup there was a suggestion City manager Roberto Mancini may invoke the clause to take Belgian back to the Etihad Stadium.
    However, its is understood the deadline for City to make that request has already passed and the 21-year-old will remain with Wanderers until the end of the campaign.

Uploads

Halliche: Could leave Fulham in search of playing time

JOL HINTS AT HALLICHE EXIT

Martin Jol has revealed out-of-favour Fulham defender Rafik Halliche could be offloaded during this month's transfer window.
    The Algeria international has made just two substitute appearances for the Cottagers since arriving from Benfica in summer 2010 and is yet to feature under manager Jol.
    The 25-year-old is desperate for playing time and it appears increasingly likely he will leave Craven Cottage this month, despite being contracted in West London until 2013.
    Halliche spent time on trial with Scottish Premier League giants Celtic last month, while Crystal Palace are also thought to be monitoring the centre-back.
    Jol told the Fulham & Hammersmith Chronicle: "I've got five centre-backs - he's a good player but I haven't used him.
    "He told me at the start of the season (he needs to play), and it's the same story now.
    "There's a few options so we'll have to wait and see what happens."

Uploads

Mark van Bommel: Left PSV in 2005

VAN BOMMEL NOT IN PSV THOUGHTS

Technical director Marcel Brands says PSV Eindhoven have not enquired over bringing AC Milan midfielder Mark van Bommel back to the club.
    The 34-year-old has previously said he would be keen to make an emotional homecoming at the club where he spent six seasons before leaving for Barcelona in 2005.

Van Bommel is out of contract at Milan in the summer but Brands insists it is too soon to make an approach.
    "It's too early. We're just halfway through the season, you don't know what else will happen," Brands told NUSport.
    Meanwhile, PSV are planning contract talks with 33-year-old defender Wilfred Bouma, whose deal is also due to expire at the end of the season.
    Brands added: "We are going to sit down with Fred but it has not happened yet.
    "He makes an impression, he's fit and he plays a lot.
    "We also want some balance in the squad. If we only have young players then it is uneven."

Uploads

Hughes: New QPR boss

HUGHES AT QPR FOR THE LONG HAUL

Mark Hughes has pledged his long-term future to QPR after claiming he had finally found a club where he could create a dynasty.
    Hughes was officially unveiled as Rangers manager at a packed press conference at Loftus Road on Wednesday afternoon and insisted he had no intention of using his new side as a stepping stone.
    The former Manchester United striker has been accused of doing just that in the past, quitting Blackburn to take charge of Manchester City and walking away from Fulham last summer citing their lack of ambition.
    But despite QPR's Barclays Premier League pedigree being far less impressive than any of his previous teams, Hughes was won over during a "whirlwind" 48 hours by the vision of owner Tony Fernandes, who plans to transform them into top-flight heavyweights on and off the field.
    "I'm certainly not thinking of leaving anytime soon," Hughes said, confirming there was no release clause in his two-and-a-half-year contract as there had been at Fulham.
    "If everything goes in the direction that I want it to, I think I've got a really fantastic opportunity here to build something from the ground up."
    Hughes, who insisted he had no regrets about controversially abandoning Fulham, added: "Obviously, my last couple of positions haven't lasted as long as I wanted to.
    "I'm looking for longevity now, I'm looking to stay in a position for an amount of time where I can really make an impression.
    "One of the frustrations of leaving previous positions is that I put things in place and implemented them and hadn't been able to see the conclusion of them.
    "I don't want that to happen here."
    Hughes admitted he had needed convincing of QPR's ambition, while the only real proof of his loyalty will come if a so-called bigger team comes calling.
    But, by the time they do, Rangers may have made enough progress to persuade him to stay at a club that are planning to build both a new training ground and stadium.
    The immediate aim is Premier League survival but having transformed Blackburn from relegation fodder into a top-six club in less than two seasons, Hughes believes the same is possible at QPR.
    "Some managers feel it's better to lower expectations and then overachieve - I've never done that," he added.
    "I've always walked hand in hand with expectation and really embraced that.
    "Fans want to be excited about what's happening at their football club.
    "Sometimes you can come crashing down.
    "But my view is expectation is a good thing."
    Hughes will not be short of funds to overhaul a squad that lies a point outside the drop zone but he played down talk of a £30million January war chest.
    He said: "There are a few figures being bandied about. I'm not quite sure they're at that level."
    He all but confirmed his interest in Chelsea defender Alex, who Rangers have reportedly made a bid for, but he would not be drawn on links with Blackburn's Christopher Samba or Manchester City's Nedum Onuohua.
    Hughes appeared to acknowledge the need for a striker, with Rangers among the lowest scorers in the top flight.
    "At Premier League level, the ability to take chances and score goals is crucial," he said.
    Joey Barton is the current captain and Hughes insisted he had no concerns over the player's use of social media to air his sometimes-controversial opinions.
    "I have no issue with Twittering or the captaincy," Hughes said of Barton.
    "He's a very accomplished player and I'm going to look forward to working with him very closely."
    Hughes expressed sympathy for predecessor Neil Warnock, who was sacked on Sunday despite having ended QPR's 15-year Premier League exile last summer.
    "Neil has done a fantastic job here," he said.
    "He created a great deal of success and has made a huge impact on this club during his time here."
    Chief executive Philip Beard, who admitted having "sleepless nights" worrying about what would happen if Rangers were snubbed by Hughes, said: "When we first made contact, I wasn't sure if it was going to be an easy job to persuade someone of Mark's calibre to come to QPR - but we had some exciting discussions and the conversation started getting a lot closer in terms of what we can achieve here."
    Asked about speculation the change of management was made due to player discontent, Beard added: "That's not the reason we made the decision.
    "We wanted to strengthen and needed to do it really quickly."