Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 13-01-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 13-01-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 13-01-2012

Thierry Henry: Back with a bang this week

VAN PERSIE HAILS HENRY'S 'BRAVE' RETURN

Robin van Persie believes Thierry Henry has shown great bravery by returning to Arsenal.
    The former Gunners captain, who has signed a short-term loan deal from New York Red Bulls, captured the headlines once again when he came off the bench to extend his club goalscoring record as Leeds were beaten 1-0 in Monday night's FA Cup third-round tie at Emirates Stadium.
    Henry, 34, will spend the next six-and-a-half weeks with Arsenal and is set to be part of the squad again at Swansea on Sunday, when Van Persie is due to return to action having been given some extra time off as he sat out the cup tie.
    When the Dutchman came to Arsenal in May 2004, he was a raw talent, while Henry was at the peak of his powers.
    Van Persie is now himself one of the leading strikers in world football having scored 34 goals in 2011 to better Henry's calendar year tally. The 28-year-old is full of admiration for what his old captain is undertaking.
    "Some people might ask why he chose to come back, because he is already a legend here," said Van Persie, who took the skipper's armband this season.
    "For me, it tells you everything about him; Thierry is coming back because he loves the game.
    "If you asked 10 legends, whether they would come back, I am not sure they would have been brave enough."
    Van Persie added: "Thierry knows things are at stake, he is remembered as a legend, but for him, it is simple - he loves the game and wants to be a part of the club he loves.
    "I am sure he will get loads of games because I have seen him in training and I don't want too put too much pressure on, but he is looking really good."
    Van Persie last week spent some time on a family break in Dubai, where he met Diego Maradona.
    The Dutchman hopes the downtime will see him come back refreshed and ready to spearhead Arsenal's drive towards the top four.
    "The good thing is that we have been able to have a little break over the last few days, which is always welcome at this time of year," Van Persie said.
    "I have been able to recharge the batteries a little bit, get refreshed and ready to go again. I'm looking forward to the year."
    Arsenal should have Swiss international Johan Djourou available again following suspension after his red card at Fulham, which will be a welcome boost given the injuries in defence, exacerbated by a hamstring tear for Francis Coquelin against Leeds.
    Manager Arsene Wenger is expected to move for cover at full-back, with both Wayne Bridge, now surplus to requirements at Manchester City, and Lyon's Aly Cissokho reported targets.
    Out-of-favour Chelsea striker Salomon Kalou, currently on African Nations Cup duty with Ivory Coast, is also reported to be on Wenger's radar again.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 13-01-2012

Gerrard's influence is hailed by the Anfield hierarchy

GERRARD 'HAS LONG-TERM ROLE TO PLAY'

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard will play a key part in the club's future even long after his playing days have ended, according to director of football Damien Comolli.
    The 31-year-old England international signed a new contract extension on Thursday which will almost certainly see him end his career at Anfield.
    "There will be more highs and lows, there's no doubt about it, as that's part and parcel of being a football player at a top club," Gerrard said.
    "I'm confident moving forward that the club is going in the right direction.
    "We've got a fantastic team, we've got the right owners in place and the right team behind our team, so I'm really confident we'll have more good experiences in the future."
    The club Gerrard joined as an eight-year-old have already lined up an ambassadorial role for him when he does call it a day, although Comolli admits he already taps into the player's considerable influence.
    "The help is tremendous," Comolli said. "Whenever we want to sign a young player, no matter what their age is, I ask Stevie to come to the academy to speak to a player, or have a word with someone at Melwood.
    "He is always there to help and try to convince the boy to come to us, to tell the boy about his experiences of being at Liverpool, of coming through the academy and playing for the first team and for this fantastic fan base.
    "It's not only the help he gives on a daily basis to the ones who are here, it's also the help he gives to help us bring talent to the club.
    "Because it's him, and because of what he's done for the club and what he represents in England, when he talks to a young player it makes a difference."
    Comolli also pointed out that the 'Gerrard factor' is still substantial when it comes to current professionals.
    "We were talking to Jordan Henderson last summer and he was talking about training for a couple of days with Stevie for England," Comolli told the club's official website.
    "He said that as soon as he trained the level went up fantastically. It's about technical leadership as well, not only mental.
    "Myself and Ian Ayre (managing director) took the view that we want to keep people like Stevie for the reasons I have talked about.
    "As an ambassador he's going to be around and can give advice to young players, he can give advice to players he would have played with.
    "It's just great to know he'll be around for a long time."
    Manager Kenny Dalglish said Gerrard's influence in the dressing room was immeasurable.
    "Steven, being the club captain, is very impressive," he said. "If there's a problem to be sorted in the dressing room - which isn't very often - he'll deal with it.
    "So he stands up to be counted on and off the pitch. He's been a fantastic servant to the football club."

Uploads

Robbie Keane: Has joined Villa on loan

KEANE - VILLA LOAN SWITCH NO RISK

Robbie Keane insists he is not risking the reputation he has built up during a decade of Barclays Premier League football by returning for a short loan spell with Aston Villa.
    The Republic of Ireland international has joined Villa from Los Angeles Galaxy until the end of February and is in contention to make his debut against visiting Everton on Saturday.
    Keane's previous taste of the top flight was an injury-hit spell on loan at West Ham last season before he left Tottenham for Galaxy in the summer.
    But the 31-year-old is now fully fit and believes he is a wiser player than the one who came close to moving from Wolves to Villa 13 years ago.
    Keane said: "It (damaging my reputation) is not something I've thought about. What impact can one player make in six games or so?
    "Hopefully it will be a good one. I hope it works out well for both parties. I don't think I'm running a risk, no.
    "I've had a good career in the Premiership and scored a lot of goals.
    "When you get older and play the amount of games I have played, you get wiser, you read the game better than you do when you were 17."
    Keane is looking forward to aiding Villa through what manager Alex McLeish has described as a transitional season.
    He said: "I will be doing my utmost to help the team and make as much impact as I can in the seven weeks I am here.
    "Villa are a good side in a transitional period with a new manager. It takes time for a new manager to get his ideas across and get his own players in."
    Keane insists he is not winding down his career and said: "I want to play as long as I can whether that's in the MLS (Major Soccer League) or anywhere else.
    "I love playing football and love training, I could easily be sitting on the beach now and having a holiday but I enjoy the game and being around the lads.
    "As long as I feel good and don't get too many injuries I'll play as long as I can regardless of where that is."
    Keane has reiterated his belief that former club Spurs can challenge the two Manchester clubs for the league title this season.
    He said: "If you look back it was Chelsea trying to get Luka (Modric).
    "It might be very difficult now to try and convince Luka to go to Chelsea because it's looking like Tottenham have overtaken Chelsea.
    "They've got top, top players at Spurs and they're proving that and you can see the players gelling together now. They're certainly going to be up there as title contenders, no question about that."

Uploads

Frank Lampard: Was linked with a move

AVB: LAMPARD RELATIONSHIP 'FANTASTIC'

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas claims he and Frank Lampard enjoy a "fantastic" relationship and dismissed any suggestion otherwise.
    Villas-Boas' handling of Lampard has been one of the biggest talking points of his reign, with the Blues boss having no qualms dropping a player who was previously untouchable at Stamford Bridge.
    Lampard has refused to bite his tongue over his unhappiness at being in and out of the side, while there have been increasing numbers of reports claiming all is not well between the midfielder and his manager.
    The latest saw Villas-Boas accused of blanking Lampard on the team bus following the midfielder's failure to join in a goal celebration with the Chelsea boss during last week's Barclays Premier League win at Wolves.
    Villas-Boas dismissed all the reports of discord, describing his relationship with his vice-captain as "fantastic" and adding: "We speak every day."
    He also rejected any suggestion Lampard could be sold this month.
    "Frank is a player who is not available at any price," Villas-Boas said, before justifying his handling of the 33-year-old.
    "First, he's not in and out in rotation. There is no such thing. We decide on an XI who are strong for any game and that can help us in the strategy to win the game.
    "Every player wants to find that consistency and playing times.
    "Frank, with the player he is and the history he represents, wants to be involved all the time, but every player is competing for a place.
    "I've said the same all season, even when Frank had more playing time and others didn't.
    "Everyone is fighting to be in it, and a player of Frank's level has a shorter distance to travel to be in the team than others."
    Lampard has been dropped for all of Chelsea's big games recently but Villas-Boas insisted this did not mean his powers were on the wane.
    "Players have different characteristics and your strategy depends on how you want to play the game," he said.
    "Other players might be better placed in certain games, or players might be in better form than others.
    "We try different options at times, but Frank is the fifth or sixth most used player at Chelsea so he's involved all the time.
    "We are speaking of two players ahead of him. One is a goalkeeper and the other is John Terry."

Uploads

Redknapp: Hailed 'wise investment'

REDKNAPP PROUD OF SPURS ETHOS

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has spoken of his pride at building a title-chasing team without matching Manchester City's spending.
    Spurs have flourished under Redknapp's leadership and are now level on points with Manchester United and three behind table-topping City after 20 matches.
    Their side has been put together for a fraction of the money lavished on Roberto Mancini's squad by the club's mega-rich owners - a fact clearly not lost on Redknapp.
    "City are where they are because of Sheikh Mansour and Chelsea thanks to Roman Abramovich," he told The Sun.
    "We have not done it that way and it makes me proud. You don't have to go out and spend fortunes to find good players.
    "Spurs are not third in the Premier League because someone has walked through the door at White Hart Lane and slapped a bundle of money on my desk.
    "City can pay players 200,000 a week, it's unbelievable. The people running Spurs have invested wisely.
    "Some of the players we brought in raised eyebrows, like Younes Kaboul, but he's made excellent progress. Hopefully it is coming together now."

Uploads

Darron Gibson: Fallen out of favour at Man United

EVERTON IN DARRON GIBSON TALKS

Everton are in negotiations with Manchester United over the potential signing of midfielder Darron Gibson.
    The Republic of Ireland international has fallen down Sir Alex Ferguson's pecking order at Old Trafford, having made just two appearances for the club this season.
    Toffees manager David Moyes only has a meagre budget to work with during the transfer window and is also thought to be looking to sign a striker and a central defender following injuries to Phil Jagielka and Sylvain Distin.
    Moyes is yet to bolster his squad so far this month, with a deal to bring USA international Landon Donovan back to the club on loan from LA Galaxy having been set up before the window opened.
    Gibson could be his first signing after seeing a proposed move to Sunderland fall through over the summer.
    The 24-year-old came through the youth ranks at United and has previously spent time on loan at Royal Antwerp and Wolves.

Uploads

Maxi Lopez: Fulham loan bid turned down

FULHAM FAIL WITH LOPEZ LOAN

Serie A outfit Catania say they have rejected a loan bid from Fulham for their Argentina international Maxi Lopez.
    The Cottagers have been linked with a move for the former Barcelona star for much of the January transfer window.
    Manager Martin Jol played down any interest, but Catania have now claimed that they have now shunned a loan bid from Fulham for the 27-year-old.
    Catania have accepted Lopez can leave, but they are insistent that he can only depart on their terms.
    "We did not accept Fulham's offer for Maxi Lopez because the English club would like to take him without spending a pound," Catania chief executive Pietro Lo Monaco told Radio Mana Mana.
    "I don't give him on loan, Maxi has an important value."
    Reports in Italy are now claiming that AC Milan are set to renew their interest in Lopez as an alternative to Carlos Tevez.
    Milan confirmed they were keen on Lopez early in January, but then their interest in him cooled as they pursued Tevez.
    But they pulled out of negotiations for the Manchester City striker on Thursday, and are now believed to be looking at Lopez again.
    Milan want another striker to cover for the absent Antonio Cassano, who is sidelined for the season following heart surgery.

Uploads

Avram Grant: Back in the game

AVRAM GRANT IS PARTIZAN BOSS

Former Chelsea and West Ham boss Avram Grant has been named as the new coach of Partizan Belgrade.
    No details of the Israeli's deal have been made public although local media report Grant has signed a one-year deal worth 900,000 euros plus bonuses if team qualify for the Champions League.
    Grant, 56, who led Chelsea to the Champions League final in 2008, was sacked by West Ham following their relegation last season.
    On its official website, Partizan revealed previous coach Aleksandar Stanojevic was fired following a clash with the club's management over personnel issues.
    Reigning champions Partizan currently boast a 10-point lead over Belgrade rivals Red Star at the top of the Serbia League.

Uploads

David Trezeguet: River Plate player

TREZEGUET UNVEILED BY RIVER PLATE

Former France striker David Trezeguet has been unveiled as a River Plate player as he returns to Argentina, the country where he began his career.
    The 34-year-old, who started off at Argentinian side Platense, had been expected to complete his move last month after a short spell in the United Arab Emirates with Bani Yas.
    The Buenos Aires giants are currently in the second tier of Argentinian league after being relegated for the first time in their history, but nonetheless Trezeguet is relishing a different type of test.
    Trezeguet told as.com: "I'm aware that the situation is more complicated - to play in the second division which is predominantly more physical, and I think it will be like this. I feel good, and I am looking forward."

Uploads

Ravel Morrison: Newcastle target

MAN UTD REBUFF MAGPIES MORRISON BID

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Manchester United have rejected a bid from Newcastle for Ravel Morrison.
    The 18-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season and reports emerged on Thursday that the Magpies had tabled an offer for him.
    Morrison has had a chequered history and appeared in court last year and pleaded guilty to two charges of witness intimidation.
    However, United have worked tirelessly to keep the Manchester-born youngster on the right tracks, recognising the ability that has led to a widespread claim Morrison is the best young player to emerge from United's youth ranks since Paul Scholes.
    Yet Scholes' decision to come out of retirement has led Morrison to question his own future, although Ferguson claims the teenager has already rejected the contract United have offered.
    Speaking at his press conference before Saturday's clash with Bolton, Ferguson said: "His agent has been working hard to get him another club.
    "We've offered him terms which he has refused. We've rejected an offer from Newcastle. We'll see how that progresses.
    "His demands are unrealistic as far as we're concerned."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast