No. 4 West Liberty tops Fairmont St.

Morrow scores 24 points and nine rebounds for the Hilltoppers

Fairmont State Athletics

Last Updated - January 13, 2012 12:45 GMT

West Liberty Athletics
West Liberty Athletics

No. 4 West Liberty used a strong second half to knock off Fairmont State and collect its 13th win of the season.

WEST LIBERTY, W.Va. -- All five starters scored in double figures to lead No. 4 West Liberty past Fairmont State, 101-91 on Thursday night.
The win improved the Hilltoppers to 13-1 overall and 8-0 in the WVIAC. Fairmont State slipped to 5-7 on the year and 3-5 in conference play.
Isaac Thornton led the Falcons with 25 points and nine rebounds. Steve Custis added 22 points, and Chris Thompson chipped in 17. Melvin Rhodes netted 13 and Erv McFadded came off the bench to contribute 10 points.
No. 2 Kentucky Wes. 93, Rockhurst 62
No. 3 Bellarmine 84, Drury 65
No. 4 West Liberty 101, Fairmont St. 91
No. 8 N. Kentucky 62, Missouri S&T 36
Shaw 83, No. 12 Bowie State 73
No. 15 Christian Bro. 69, West Ala. 52
No. 17 Ala.-Huntsville 86, Valdosta 72
No. 25 West Georgia 79, Delta State 61
West Liberty got 24 points and nine rebounds from Chris Morrow. Tim Hausfield added 23 and Alex Falk scored 18. Cedric Harris had 14 points to go with 11 assists, and C.J. Hester scored 10 points.
The Hilltoppers shot 51 percent for the game and out-rebounded the Falcons 46-29, including a 19-11 advantage on the offensive glass. While Fairmont State shot 52 percent from the field, the Falcons were just 16-26 from the free throw line (62 percent). WLU was 21-24 from the line (88 percent).
West Liberty led from the outset, but the Falcons stayed in striking distance in the first half. FSU trailed by just a basket, 44-42 with less than 30 seconds left in the first half, but a quick surge by the Toppers gave WLU a 49-43 advantage heading into the locker room.
The Toppers remained in the lead, but got a boost after a technical foul on Fairmont State allowed WLU to take its biggest lead of the game at that point, 77-65.
WLU would go ahead by as many by 16, but FSU made one last surge and got to within seven at 85-78 with just over five minutes to play. The 'Toppers scored the game's next six points to effectively put the game out of reach.