LoMo sees Marlins in a starring role in 2012

Left fielder says strong personalities won't be a problem

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com | 01/14/12 4:45 PM EST

JUPITER, Fla. -- With the collection of strong personalities the Marlins have assembled, they have a roster that promises to be "must-see TV."
Half-jokingly, left fielder Logan Morrison suggested that Showtime should consider the Marlins for the next installment of its series, "The Franchise."

In 2011, Showtime offered an inside look at the San Francisco Giants. Why not turn its attention to Miami in 2012?

"I don't know if they are going to have that show again or not, but they should put us on there," said Morrison on Saturday, the first day of his LoMo Camp for a Cure at Roger Dean Stadium. "It's going to be exciting for [the media] to cover us, and it's going to be exciting to be on the field and play with those guys."
Showtime announced earlier this week that it has indeed ordered a second season of the series. The Miami Herald reported Saturday that the Marlins are one of the teams being considered.
The Marlins have certainly put together a cast of interesting characters, stemming from outspoken manager Ozzie Guillen all the way down the roster, which now features personalities like Heath Bell, Mark Buehrle, Morrison, Hanley Ramirez, Jose Reyes, Mike Stanton and Carlos Zambrano.
More than the entertainment factor, the Marlins want to see this team unified in its pursuit of the playoffs.
As long as the players are committed to winning, Morrison sees no potential personality conflicts.
"I think [there should be no conflicts] as long as everybody realizes that we're all in it for our No. 1 goal, which is to win," Morrison said. "If [that is the case], then there shouldn't be any problems. If people lose sight of that, and don't think the No. 1 goal is to win, that's when there might be problems. That's like any other team. Just as long as we want to win. I'm sure everybody wants to."
Morrison is busy this weekend with his second annual camp in Jupiter. About 50 children are taking part in the event aimed at raising awareness for the American Lung Association.

Morrison's father, Tom, died of lung cancer in December 2010.
"The camp is bigger and better this year," Morrison said. "We have about 50 kids, compared to 40 last year. We've already raised more money this year than last year, and we didn't have a silent auction or anything. I'm excited about it."
The Marlins' pitchers and catchers will begin Spring Training workouts in Jupiter on Feb. 22, with position players starting up on Feb. 26.
Morrison has been recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Dec. 5. He anticipates being ready for the start of Spring Training.
Morrison has been doing leg exercises three days a week and upper body work twice a week. Perhaps as early as Monday, he will begin running.
Once Spring Training starts, Morrison doesn't anticipate many restrictions. But there is a chance he could miss some bus trips at least early in the Grapefruit League schedule.
"I'm happy with where [my recovery] is right now," he said. "We were debating whether we were going to have surgery or not. They were thinking it was going to get better, and any time you don't have to have surgery, it's better not to have surgery.
"But we let it rest, and it wasn't getting any better, so we said we might as well do it."