Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 18-01-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 18-01-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 18-01-2012

Alex: Has held talks over QPR move

HUGHES HOPING FOR ALEX DEAL

Mark Hughes says Chelsea defender Alex has a "big decision" to make regarding a move to Queens Park Rangers as the club also close on the signing of Brazilian striker Henrique.
    Alex submitted a transfer request at the start of December and is expected to leave Stamford Bridge following the signing of Gary Cahill.
    QPR are reportedly favourites to sign the Brazil international and Hughes is expected to hold further talks with Alex on Wednesday.
    Hughes, who recently replaced Neil Warnock at the Loftus Road helm, is hoping he will soon be in a position to bolster his squad.
    "Talks are ongoing," said Hughes. "I've spoken to him and told him my feelings towards him as a player.
    "It's a big decision for him. We're trying to get things finalised and get over the line with it.
    "The hope is that we'll get deals done sooner rather than later, but I can't say for sure whether it'll be sooner at the moment."
    Speaking after the FA Cup win over MK Dons on Tuesday night, Hughes also confirmed talks regarding a loan deal for Sao Paulo youngster Henrique 'seem to be progressing'.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 18-01-2012

Jermain Defoe: Has never said he wants to leave

DEFOE COOLS SPURS EXIT TALK

Jermain Defoe has reiterated his frustration after falling out of favour at Tottenham but insists he has never said he wants to leave the club.
    The 29-year-old striker has slipped down the pecking order at White Hart Lane, with Harry Redknapp preferring on-loan Manchester City hitman Emmanuel Adebayor up front.
    After making just seven Premier League starts this season, Defoe has been linked with a move away from north London, with Liverpool thought to be chasing his signature.
    But Redknapp has made it clear the England international is not for sale and while Defoe is keen for more game time, he says he is not looking to leave.
    He told Sky Sports News: "At the end of the day it's not a case of me saying I want to go here, I'm not playing, I want to leave the club.
    "I've been here six years, I've never said that once. I think the fans know that.
    "It's just a case of me playing. I could understand if I was 19, 20 and I had time on my hands but I'm 29 now and, like I've always said, all I want to do is play football. It's as simple as that."
    Spurs make the trip to Manchester City on Sunday knowing a win could take them within two points of the Premier League leaders.
    Adebayor is ineligible to face his parent club, which could open the door for Defoe.
    The striker, who has scored seven league goals this season, added: "As it stands I'm a Tottenham player and if I do play against Manchester City I'll be fully committed. I'm sure everyone knows that at the club."
    Third-placed Spurs have not lifted the league trophy since 1961 but Defoe believes they are well-positioned to pull off a shock this season.
    "I'm going to say what the manager says - it's not impossible," he said. "I think when you really believe anything is possible.
    "The way we're playing is fantastic. The chances we're creating, the intensity we're playing at, the way we move the ball; it's just been great.
    "It's a good time to be at the club, everyone is enjoying it."

Uploads

Papiss Demba Cisse: Moves to Newcastle

NEWCASTLE SIGN PAPISS DEMBA CISSE

Newcastle have signed Senegalese striker Papiss Demba Cisse from Freiburg on a five-and-a-half-year deal for an undisclosed fee.
    The 26-year-old striker arrived at the Magpies' training ground on Tuesday to put the finishing touches to a switch from German outfit Freiburg.
    Alan Pardew was expected to dip into the transfer market during the winter window, but a central defender was thought to be top of his wish list.
    He has, however, opted to bolster his strike force with the capture of Cisse.
    The Magpies have benefited greatly from their summer acquisition of Demba Ba and feel that pairing him with his international colleague can further enhance their top-four credentials.
    They will, of course, have to wait to see that partnership in action, with both men readying themselves for Africa Cup of Nations duty.
    Pardew told Newcastle's official website he saw Cisse filling the void left by Andy Carroll's departure a year ago.
    "Ever since Andy Carroll left, Papiss was my first choice in the specific role he has had at the end of the play," he said.
    "He is a finisher with an already-established CV in the Bundesliga, where we have monitored him for the best part of two years.
    "Unfortunately he was out of reach, financially, for us in the summer, but it recently became apparent that Derek Llambias (managing director) and Lee Charnley (club secretary) could do the deal in this window.
    "I spoke to Demba about Papiss, and he cannot wait to join up with his team-mate in Newcastle."
    Upon completing talks with Newcastle, Cisse was whisked away and jetted back to Africa to re-join the Senegal squad.
    Pardew is happy to wait, though, as he has acquired the services of a man who has become one of the Bundesliga's top marksmen in recent years.
    He netted 22 times last season and has already scored nine goals this term. He will wear the famous number nine shirt at Newcastle one worn by greats such as Jackie Milburn, Malcolm MacDonald and Alan Shearer.
    Before leaving, Cisse said: "I am aware of the huge importance of the number nine shirt, and when I spoke with the manager he made it very clear how important this shirt is. I will treat it with respect."

Uploads

Dougie Imrie: Dundee United target

BILLY REID KEEN TO KEEP IMRIE

Hamilton manager Billy Reid believes Dougie Imrie showed once against just how big a loss he would be to the club with an impressive outing in Tuesday night's William Hill Scottish Cup fourth-round replay against St Mirren.
    Accies crashed out of the tournament after Graham Carey grabbed the only goal of the game for Saints, but Imrie was superb for the home side at New Douglas Park.
    He is already the subject of a bid from Dundee United, which was submitted to the Irn-Bru First Division side last week.
    Reid made no secret of his desire to retain the services of such a key player, but admits a January departure would not be entirely unexpected.
    He said: "We are used to it, we have lost influential players before and it's just the way it is at the football club.
    "I don't have any say in it. If Dougie goes, we need to just go and build again.
    "I don't want Dougie Imrie to leave. That would be crazy with how he is playing at the moment.
    "He is one of our most influential forward players so why would you want him to leave?"
    Imrie could have forced the tie to extra-time with an audacious 35-yard strike that crashed off the post with just three minutes to go.
    Reid said: "It's unfair to single anybody out but Dougie Imrie's work ethic is absolutely brilliant. If anybody deserved a goal tonight, it was Dougie.
    "The players were absolutely gutted and I was gutted for them. Over the 90 minutes, I don't think we deserved to get beat.
    "I thought we were great in the second half and we probably had the better chances.
    "Dougie Imrie hit one from about 35 yards and deserved a goal. It would have been a fantastic goal. It just summed up our night and it wasn't to be for us.
    "But it's a step forward for us and I couldn't ask for any more of the players."
    Saints boss Danny Lennon was also impressed with the hosts, who surrendered their Clydesdale Bank Premier League status at the end of last season.
    He said: "I must give Hamilton a great deal of credit. They've got a fantastic set-up here and a great pedigree of producing kids and that was on show a lot tonight.
    "It's going to set them up in the next couple of years with a strong foundation."
    The Buddies face another First Division side, Ross County, in the fifth round.
    Lennon said: "It won't be easy in the next round either but we are delighted with a home tie against a club that's flying at this minute in time.
    "For me, the First Division is the most competitive league in Scotland.
    "We've got a few difficult games before then and we want to get back to picking up points with the bread and butter stuff."

Uploads

Carlton Cole: Says he has no intention of leaving West Ham

CARLTON COLE RULES OUT WEST HAM EXIT

West Ham striker Carlton Cole has poured cold water on speculation linking him with a move away by insisting he is going nowhere this month.
    The 28-year-old has been tipped to leave Upton Park during the current transfer window, with Fulham and Turkish giants Galatasaray thought to be potential destinations.
    But Cole says he has no intention of leaving the Hammers and is hoping to stay on next term.
    "I told everybody at the start of the season, I'm there for the whole season," he told Sky Sports News.
    "Next season I want to be here at West Ham again. I'm not looking for a move.
    "Obviously when you're connected to other teams it's a bit unsettling and unnerving sometimes but I know the chairman has got 100 per cent faith in me and he wants me to do well, the manager as well.
    "I've got no reason to move at the moment."

Uploads

Ronan Murray: Offered a new contract

IPSWICH REJECT RONAN MURRAY BID

Ipswich have rejected a bid from Swindon for Ronan Murray and have offered the striker a new contract at Portman Road.
    Murray recently scored twice in 10 appearances during a loan spell at Swindon and the League Two club were keen on a permanent deal.
    However, Ipswich have turned down the approach and have offered the 20-year-old a 12-month extension to his deal, which is due to expire in the summer.
    Promising defender Luke Hyam has also been offered fresh terms and Town boss Paul Jewell is hoping the duo accept the deals.
    "Ronan enjoyed his time at Swindon," Jewell told the club's official website.
    "They did make a bid for him but we have rejected it and he's now back with us.
    "I have spoken to Ronan and Luke and we'd like to keep them here beyond the summer.
    "We're in the process of offering them new contracts for another year and we'll see how things develop."

Uploads

Jonny Howson: Norwich target

NORWICH HAVE HOWSON BID ACCEPTED

Norwich have had a bid accepted for Leeds midfielder and captain Jonny Howson.
    The npower Championship confirmed they had "reluctantly" accepted an offer for the 23-year-old, whose deal at Elland Road expires in the summer.
    A statement on the club's website read: "The club has reluctantly accepted the offer on the basis that the player only has six months of his current contract remaining and has expressed a desire to play Premier League football at the earliest opportunity."
    Howson has been out of action since December because of a knee injury, and Leeds revealed their disappointment at not being able to tie the former England Under-21 international down on a longer deal.
    "The club has been in discussions with the player about a new contract at Elland Road for more than 12 months, but he has been steadfast in his position that he would like the opportunity to play Premier League football," the statement continued.
    "On that basis Jonny hasn't felt in a position to commit himself to Leeds United at this moment in time.
    "The player would be able to leave on a free transfer at the end of his current contract.
    "While accepting the offer on Tuesday the player has still to agree terms with Norwich and we are disappointed the matter has become public at this stage."
    Norwich signed Bradley Johnson on a free transfer from Leeds in the summer after the midfielder's contract with the Yorkshire club had expired.
    Lambert masterminded back-to-back promotions from League One after taking over at Carrow Road, with many of the current squad having come up through the divisions.
    Like Johnson, summer signings Steve Morison, Anthony Pilkington and Elliott Bennett have all made a successful transition into the top flight.
    The Norwich boss, though, admitted he was unsure how many more times he could tap hungry talent from down the pyramid.
    "The lads we've got at the minute came from the lower leagues and the Championship, as everybody knows. I'm just not sure how many are left out there to go and find," Lambert said.
    "The group need a hand and this is a huge season for the football club.
    "We want to stay in the Premier League and get more finances from it and that's the reality of it.
    "I'll do everything I can to get people in, but if not I'll go with the group I've already gone with."
    Norwich confirmed a deal had been agreed with Leeds, but the move was not yet complete.
    A club statement read: "City can confirm that they have had an offer accepted from Leeds United for their captain and midfielder Jonathan Howson.
    "The move is still subject to the player completing a stringent medical and agreeing personal terms at Carrow Road."
    Norwich also confirmed that Belgian defender Ritchie de Laet has returned to Manchester United after his season-long loan deal was cancelled.
    The 23-year-old has been hampered by a back injury, which limited his impact with the Canaries.
    Lambert said: "Ritchie has gone back to Manchester United. We thank Sir Alex Ferguson for loaning him to us and wish Ritchie well for the future and hope he goes on to have a successful career at Manchester United."

Uploads

Jack Grimmer: Signed for Fulham.

FULHAM SIGN DONS PRODIGY JACK GRIMMER

Fulham have signed 17-year-old midfielder Jack Grimmer from Aberdeen, the Barclays Premier League club have confirmed
    Grimmer will join the Cottagers' development squad for the remainder of the season, having signed a deal until 2015.
    The midfielder was the youngest Aberdeen first-team player when he made his debut against Rangers in April 2010, aged just 16 years, two months and 13 days old.

Uploads

Mark McGhee: New Bristol Rovers manager

MARK McGHEE NAMED BRISTOL ROVERS BOSS

Mark McGhee has been named the new manager of npower League Two strugglers Bristol Rovers, the club have confirmed.
    The 54-year-old, who had spells in charge of English clubs Reading, Leicester, Wolves, Millwall and Brighton, has been out of management since leaving Aberdeen in December 2010.
    McGhee, who has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract, takes charge of a Pirates side that is currently 18th in the table and succeeds Paul Buckle, who was sacked following a 2-0 defeat at Barnet at the start of the month.

Uploads

Dougie Imrie: Dundee United target

BILLY REID KEEN TO KEEP IMRIE

Hamilton manager Billy Reid believes Dougie Imrie showed once against just how big a loss he would be to the club with an impressive outing in Tuesday night's William Hill Scottish Cup fourth-round replay against St Mirren.
    Accies crashed out of the tournament after Graham Carey grabbed the only goal of the game for Saints, but Imrie was superb for the home side at New Douglas Park.
    He is already the subject of a bid from Dundee United, which was submitted to the Irn-Bru First Division side last week.
    Reid made no secret of his desire to retain the services of such a key player, but admits a January departure would not be entirely unexpected.
    He said: "We are used to it, we have lost influential players before and it's just the way it is at the football club.
    "I don't have any say in it. If Dougie goes, we need to just go and build again.
    "I don't want Dougie Imrie to leave. That would be crazy with how he is playing at the moment.
    "He is one of our most influential forward players so why would you want him to leave?"
    Imrie could have forced the tie to extra-time with an audacious 35-yard strike that crashed off the post with just three minutes to go.
    Reid said: "It's unfair to single anybody out but Dougie Imrie's work ethic is absolutely brilliant. If anybody deserved a goal tonight, it was Dougie.
    "The players were absolutely gutted and I was gutted for them. Over the 90 minutes, I don't think we deserved to get beat.
    "I thought we were great in the second half and we probably had the better chances.
    "Dougie Imrie hit one from about 35 yards and deserved a goal. It would have been a fantastic goal. It just summed up our night and it wasn't to be for us.
    "But it's a step forward for us and I couldn't ask for any more of the players."
    Saints boss Danny Lennon was also impressed with the hosts, who surrendered their Clydesdale Bank Premier League status at the end of last season.
    He said: "I must give Hamilton a great deal of credit. They've got a fantastic set-up here and a great pedigree of producing kids and that was on show a lot tonight.
    "It's going to set them up in the next couple of years with a strong foundation."
    The Buddies face another First Division side, Ross County, in the fifth round.
    Lennon said: "It won't be easy in the next round either but we are delighted with a home tie against a club that's flying at this minute in time.
    "For me, the First Division is the most competitive league in Scotland.
    "We've got a few difficult games before then and we want to get back to picking up points with the bread and butter stuff."