Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 19-01-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 19-01-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 19-01-2012

Beckham: Won the MLS Cup with Galaxy last season

David Beckham has signed a two-year contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy, the Major League Soccer side have announced.
    The 36-year-old's five-year contract expired last month and he had been linked with a move to Paris St Germain.
    However, Beckham has now re-signed with the club with which he won the 2011 MLS Cup.
    "This was an important decision for me," Beckham said on the club's official website.
    "I had many offers from clubs from around the world, however, I'm still passionate about playing in America and winning trophies with the Galaxy.
    "I've seen first hand how popular soccer is now in the States and I'm as committed as ever to growing the game here.
    "My family and I are incredibly happy and settled in America and we look forward to spending many more years here."
    Galaxy general manager and head coach Bruce Arena said: "I am thrilled that David has chosen to re-join the Galaxy, especially as he had numerous options where he could continue his career.
    "I felt that he was one of the best players in all of MLS last season and we could not have achieved the success that we did without him.
    "We look forward to trying to replicate that success this season with David once again in a Galaxy uniform."
    Beckham's business manager Simon Fuller added: "When David and I discussed making the move from Real Madrid to the LA Galaxy back in 2007, our minds were firmly focused on the massive opportunity of helping to grow soccer in the United States.
    "We have made great progress over the past five years in raising the profile of soccer domestically and the MLS on a worldwide stage, and we are encouraged by all the results.
    "However, clearly this is an ongoing mission and this new deal confirms our commitment to continuing our journey and making sure the world's biggest sport, soccer, continues to grow in the world's most passionate sports loving nation, the USA."
    The LA Galaxy start their pre-season campaign next week and return to competitive action on March 7 when they travel to face Toronto FC in the first leg of their 2011/12 CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final.
    Their first game of the 2012 MLS season is on March 10 at home to Real Salt Lake.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 19-01-2012

Carlos Tevez: His agent is set for talks with PSG

Carlos Tevez's representatives will open talks with Paris St Germain on Thursday, it is understood.
    The Argentinian forward is hoping to seal a move away from Manchester City during the January transfer window, but the Barclays Premier League leaders are determined to ensure the price is right in order to avoid suffering too great a loss on their outlay on the player in the summer of 2009.
    PSG are now one of the main players in European football after a summer takeover by Qatar Sports Investments and are one of the few clubs with the financial muscle to recruit Tevez.
    Inter Milan and AC Milan have also expressed an interest in signing the 27-year-old, with Inter president Massimo Moratti having been in touch with the Blues earlier this month to confirm they would be willing to pay 25million euros (20.7million) for Tevez.
    Although such a deal would have the significant advantage of being a straight transfer, rather than a loan, which City have consistently refused to entertain, It is understood it falls short of the club's valuation.
    Tevez remains in Argentina, his career on hold having refused to return to City even though the furore and disciplinary action over his non-appearance against Bayern Munich in a Champions League match in September has now been resolved.
    He was signed by City for a reported 32million in July 2009 after his advisers were unable to agree terms with Manchester United, having first gained Premier League experience with West Ham.
    PSG have already invested heavily since their Middle Eastern buyout, with former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti brought in on lucrative terms to coach a side containing another Argentinian, playmaker Javier Pastore, who cost a reported 43million euros (just under 36million) when he joined from Palermo.
    They were also linked with a move to sign former England captain David Beckham, who has instead re-signed for Los Angeles Galaxy.

Didier Drogba: In talks with Chinese club

Shanghai Shenhua are hopeful they will complete the signing of Chelsea star Didier Drogba before next Monday.
    According to local media, Shenhua are currently locked in talks with the Chelsea forward and are optimistic a deal is not too far away.
    It would represent a huge double coup for Shenhua, who persuaded Drogba's former Chelsea team-mate Nicolas Anelka to make the move earlier this year.
    "Everything is going well so far though there have been a few obstacles. They never turned us down, which is good for us," club board member Zhou Jun told The Shanghai Daily.
    With Anelka having recently signed with the Chinese side, Zhou believes the odds of signing the 33 year-old has shortened dramatically.
    "It's like making a blockbuster film. When superstars like Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Zhou Xun have confirmed their participation, other actors and actress will be confident of the movie."
    Details of the negotiations have yet to be disclosed but Drogba is expected to join Anelka as one of the highest paid players in China if he decides to make the move.

Marouane Chamakh: Not planning to leave Arsenal

Marouane Chamakh insists he will not be leaving Arsenal in this month's transfer window and has vowed to fight for his future at the Emirates.
    The striker has been linked with a move away from Arsenal after struggling to hold down a regular place in the side this season.
    The likes of Bordeaux, Paris Saint-Germain and Fiorentina have all been linked with Chamakh, but Gunners boss Arsene Wenger recently admitted he was keen to keep the 28-year-old.
    Chamakh, who is currently away on international duty with Morocco, is determined to prove himself when he returns from the African Cup of Nations and he admits he is fed up with the speculation over his future.
    "I am relaxed about my future. I've spoken with the coach [Wenger] and I'm staying with Arsenal after the Africa Cup of Nations," Chamakh told the Daily Mirror.
    "I think Wenger has confidence in me. It was that reason that I left Bordeaux to join Arsenal.
    "I had some good performances in my first season and it's possible that I can repeat those.
    "My agents have had calls from other clubs, but I want to show what I can do in the next few months.
    "I'm tired of the rumours, because I only want to be focused on my work for Morocco. Personally, I have a lot more in my game and I want to demonstrate my level.
    "Of course I want to play more, but it's very difficult for a forward at Arsenal. The level is very high, but that's the challenge that I was looking for."

Carlos Kameni: New Malaga signing

Cameroon goalkeeper Carlos Kameni will be presented by Malaga later on Thursday after completing his move to the Andalusian club.
    Kameni was released from his contract with previous club Espanyol last week and arrived in Malaga on Wednesday night to pen an initial two-and-a-half-year deal at La Rosaleda.
    The 27-year-old joined Espanyol from French club Le Havre in 2004 and played over 200 league games for the Barcelona-based club, while also helping them win the 2006 Copa del Rey and reach the 2007 UEFA Cup final.
    Big-spending Malaga, who are currently eighth in the Primera Division standings, have also announced they have reached an agreement to extend the contract of their existing first-choice goalkeeper Willy Caballero, 30, for a further three seasons until the end of the 2015-16 season.

Le Toux: Philadelphia Union striker linked with Bolton move

Bolton are understood to have made a move for Philadelphia Union striker Sebastian Le Toux.
    The 28-year-old has spent most of his career in America after moving from Lorient in 2007.
    He has hit double figures in his last two seasons with Philadelphia and is now believed to be heading for talks with Bolton.
    Reports claim that the Trotters have held talks with the Union and the MLS club have sanctioned Le Toux's trip to England.
    Le Toux confirmed he was on his way across the Atlantic, via his Twitter account.
    "On a jet plane to England," he said.
    Should Bolton strike a deal with Le Toux it would be their second with an MLS player in the space of a week, after they agreed a move for New York Red Bulls defender Tim Ream.
    Ream's switch is now subject to a work permit - something France-born Le Toux would not require.

Chris Coleman: Set for Wales job

Chris Coleman is expected to be named as Gary Speed's successor as Wales manager today with the make-up of his backroom staff likely to be high on the agenda.
    The Football Association of Wales have called a press conference to be held at St David's Hotel in Cardiff Bay at 1200 GMT, where the former Fulham and Coventry manager's appointment is set to be confirmed.
    The 41-year-old had revealed he was set to hold talks with Welsh football chiefs this week following his departure from Greek side Larissa, emerging as the favourite to land the role after Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs reportedly turned down the chance to take the job.
    The FAW will be hoping that Coleman, who also had a spell managing Real Sociedad in Spain, can continue the progress that Wales had made with Speed in charge, with the Dragons winning four of their final five games during the former midfielder's tenure before his death in November.
    That run of results moved Wales into the world's top 50 and earned them the tag of 2011's highest climbers in the FIFA rankings.
    The FAW were wary of being seen as insensitive by starting a recruitment process too soon after Speed's death.
    But the search for a new manager has stepped up in pace over the course of the last week and now appears set to culminate in Coleman, who won 32 caps for Wales as a centre-half before being forced to retire in 2002 after suffering serious leg injuries in a car crash, being handed the reins.
    His first game in charge will be the friendly against Costa Rica at Cardiff City Stadium on February 29, which is being played as a memorial to Speed.
    One of the first key decisions Coleman will have to make will be over the selection of his backroom staff.
    Leading players, including captain Aaron Ramsey and winger Gareth Bale, have expressed their desire that Speed's assistant's Raymond Verheijen and Osian Roberts be retained within the national set-up.
    Verheijen claimed the FAW would "turn their back" on Speed if they were to bring in an entirely new management team, while Ramsey last week criticised the FAW for not consulting him over the appointment process.
    Coleman has said he is willing to work with Verheijen and Roberts, although it is understood he would be free to select his own backroom staff if he so wished.
    Coleman said on Sunday: "It's a stupid man who goes in there and takes the job, whether it's me or anyone else, and changes everything."

Gary Cahill: Watched Saturday's win from the stands

Gary Cahill cannot wait to start playing after making the move to Chelsea.
    The deal taking the England defender from Bolton was held up amid wrangling over personal terms, meaning he was limited to a place in the stands during Saturday's clash with Sunderland.
    But having enjoyed a 1-0 win - and the adulation of the Blues fans - on that occasion and then joined his new team-mates in training after finally signing on Monday, he is eager to be involved against Norwich this weekend.
    "Sitting on the side and watching, you see how big this club is," Cahill told Chelsea TV. "It's a massive club.
    "It was fantastic to get the win, 1-0, and it's a great atmosphere.
    "Any player, when you're watching, you just want to go play - I was ready to get down there and get my boots on and play in that arena."
    Despite Bolton's evolution under Owen Coyle, the move from Lancashire to London will bring with it a change in footballing philosophy, but one Cahill is prepared for.
    "At times at Bolton we were more direct, but if anyone's seen (my) England games, I like to play from the back," he said.
    "It suits me more and hopefully I can adapt well."
    Cahill should also be able to adapt easily to playing in a defence which features international colleagues John Terry and Ashley Cole.
    Terry described Cahill as "a great addition", adding: "I'm looking forward to playing alongside him".
    And the feeling is mutual, as Cahill continued: "I was over the moon to make my England debut, and coming in alongside John was even more special.
    "The squad is full of top international players so I'm under no illusions, it'll be hard to get in the team and keep hold of the shirt.
    "There's a mixture of some young boys, like Daniel Sturridge, and the experience of people who've won things.
    "It's a fantastic squad and I'm glad to be a part of it, and hopefully I can help move the club forward.
    "Playing with that quality of players can only do you good, playing alongside them can only make your job easier."

Nedum Onuoha: Set for QPR talks

QPR have had an offer accepted for Manchester City defender Nedum Onuoha, it is understood.
    The 25-year-old has been little more than a fringe player at City and could now link up with former manager Mark Hughes at Loftus Road.
    It is understood a fee between 2.5million and 2.75million has been agreed for the defender, who now has permission to speak to the west Londoners.
    There had been reports of a 3million fee and wages of up to 80,000 per week, but it is understood that Onuoha would earn significantly less than reported.
    While an offer has been accepted for the former Sunderland loanee, a deal is by no means done as he considers whether he wants to move south.
    Hughes has confirmed talks are "progressing" and hopes to speak with Onuoha about a potential move on Thursday afternoon.
    "We've obviously expressed an interest and I think it is progressing," the Welshman said.
    "I don't think we are at a point where we can confirm or really say it will definitely happen.
    "We're hopeful but it has not been confirmed yet.
    "I would like to think [we are closer to agreeing a deal].
    "There has been conversations between both clubs and if we can make it happen we will be delighted."
    He added: "I am not sure if we have totally been given permission to speak to the boy but certainly the two clubs are talking.
    "Faxes are going back and forth, emails and what have you.
    "I would like to think at some point today I'll be able to speak to him directly and make him understand what we want to do here."

Chris Coleman: New Wales boss

New Wales manager Chris Coleman will speak to the coaching staff that served under Gary Speed before deciding on his backroom team.
    The 41-year-old was named as the successor to his close friend Speed, who guided Wales through a run of four wins in five games that had seen them climb into the world's top 50.
    During the Football Association of Wales' search for a new manager in the wake of Speed's death in November, captain Aaron Ramsey and winger Gareth Bale both called for assistants Raymond Verheijen and Osian Roberts to retain their roles in the national set-up in an effort to continue the winning momentum.
    Verheijen, whose contract with the FAW expired at the end of December, was particularly outspoken, going as far as to suggest that Speed would have wanted himself and Roberts to lead Wales in his absence.
    Coleman, whose contract will take him through to the 2014 World Cup, has been tipped to bring in former Wales and Fulham team-mate Kit Symons as his assistant manager.
    But the former Fulham, Real Sociedad, Coventry and Larissa manager says he needs to speak to those who worked under Speed before making any decision.
    Coleman did acknowledge that he may look to bring in a familiar face.
    He said: "I've seen the comments but I've not had the chance to speak to many of the staff.
    "We have got other things running parallel at the moment but there are certain people I need to talk with, not just Raymond.
    "I have a very close friendship with Kit. He's doing a great job at Fulham with their under-18s. He's very highly thought of there. Like any manager, every job I've taken I'm not going in with a big axe, sacking people but at the same time I like to take in faces I know.
    "But for me to say I am going to bring this guy or that guy in is disrespectful to the staff already there."
    Coleman said he empathised with the comments made by Ramsey, believing them to be a sign of the Arsenal midfielder's desire to see Wales be successful, although he stopped short of confirming he would retain the captaincy.
    Coleman revealed he had held talks with Ramsey, Ashley Williams, Craig Bellamy and Robert Earnshaw, and intends to hold longer discussions with squad members over the coming weeks before his first match in charge against Costa Rica on February 29, a match being held in Speed's memory.
    Coleman says he is keen to build on the legacy left by Speed as he casts his mind forward to the start of World Cup qualifying in the autumn, but has warned that he is his own man and will not shy away from difficult decisions.
    He said: "I've spoken with three or four of the senior boys. I understand where some of them are coming from. I've already said: 'If it's not broke, you don't fix it.'
    "I'd be a fool to come in here and start again because that's not what it needs. I've got no intention of doing that.
    "I love this philosophy of playing. I love what's been happening at Swansea City and I've tried to implement the same in Greece with Larissa.
    "At the same time, the tail cannot wag the dog. It has to be the other way around.
    "So, whilst I understand some of the comments, and we are talking about Aaron Ramsey of course, he is the captain of his country. He cares about what happens to Wales.
    "He knows at the moment it is going very well and he doesn't want break that. I understand that.
    "I've had a brief conversation with him, I'll have a longer one over a cup of coffee.
    "I'm not going to change everything, but I'm my own man and if something does need to change, then it will be changed. But, from the outside, looking in, I don't think a lot needs to be changed.
    "But there can only be one boss. You can't do it any other way. I don't go around like a headmaster, we have a lot of good players playing in the Premier League with good managers. But I have never worked in a situation where I have let the players boss me."
    While Coleman described his appointment as "the proudest moment in my career" he acknowledged that the circumstances surrounding Speed's death made it a "bittersweet" experience.
    And he paid a heartfelt tribute to his former team-mate.
    He said: "I always remember Gary smiling and laughing. I don't know anyone who didn't like him.
    "The first time I came across him was a Welsh Cup final when we were Under-11s. I was playing for Swansea and he was at Deeside.
    "We had heard all about this number 10 who was a bit useful. He scored a hat-trick. He ran the game, he was on another level. That was my first experience together. We have played together right the way through.
    "He was just a great guy. You can't replace people like that. I'm not just talking about people in football. I'm talking about people in life. I'm going to miss him."
    Chris Coleman factfile:
    1970: Born, June 10.
    1986: Signs for Manchester City.
    1987: Joins Swansea on free transfer.
    1991: Joins Crystal Palace for 275,000.
    1995: Joins Premiership champions Blackburn for 2.8million.
    1997: Joins Fulham, then in the third tier of English football and managed by Kevin Keegan, for a club record 2million.
    2001: January - Suffers the serious injuries that eventually cut short his playing career in a horrific car crash.
    2002: May 14 - Despite only playing reserve-team club football, Coleman features as a late substitute for Wales in 1-0 friendly win over Germany.
    October 2 - Announces retirement as a player after failing to recover full fitness. Joins Fulham coaching staff and also takes up a similar role with Wales.
    2003: April 17 - Takes temporary charge at Fulham following departure of Jean Tigana.
    May 15 - Promoted from caretaker manager to manager on a one-year rolling contract after steering the team clear of relegation.
    2004: May - Guides Fulham to ninth place in the Premiership.
    2005: May - Fulham finish 13th in the Premiership.
    2006: May - Fulham finish 12th in the Premiership.
    2007: April 10 - Sacked by Fulham and replaced by Lawrie Sanchez on a caretaker basis after seven-game winless run leaves club just four points clear of Premiership drop zone.
    June 28 - Appointed Real Sociedad manager.
    2008: January 16 - Steps down at Sociedad despite his team losing just one of their previous 11 matches. Claims the resignation of president Maria de la Pena provoked his decision.
    February - Appointed Coventry manager, signing a three-and-a-half-year deal.
    May - Leads the team to survival in the Championship despite a 4-1 defeat to Charlton on the last day of the season.
    2009: May - Coventry finish in 17th place.
    2010: May 2 - Again leads Coventry to survival, finishing 19th - their lowest league position for 45 years.
    May 4 - Sacked by Coventry in the wake of the 4-0 home loss to Watford on the final day of the season.
    2011: May 26 - Appointed Larissa manager, signing a one-year deal with the Greek club, with an option of a further two years.
    2012 : January 9 - Resigns as Larissa manager, citing financial problems at the club.
    January 15 - Confirms he is in talks with the Football Association of Wales about becoming national team manager following the death of Gary Speed.
    January 19 - Coleman is presented as the new Wales manager.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast