Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 21-01-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 21-01-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 21-01-2012

Samir Nasri: Wants glory with Manchester City

NASRI: MAN CITY MOVE NOT ABOUT MONEY

Samir Nasri insists it was his ambition for trophies and not financial gain which drove him to leave Arsenal for Manchester City in the summer.
    The midfielder has endured a tough start to life in Manchester since arriving in August, having struggled to pin down a regular spot in Roberto Mancini's star-studded side.
    Nasri is adamant it was the right career move, a point he feels is proved by City's superior position in the Premier League, with Mancini's leaders currently sitting 15 points clear of the Gunners.
    Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is among those who have suggested an increase in wages was the primary motivation behind the Frenchman's move north.
    But Nasri insists he joined City to fulfil his footballing ambitions and would have moved elsewhere if money had been the driving force behind his decision.
    He told The Times: "When you're a fan of a club, you don't know what happens on the inside. The easiest thing for the fans to say is 'He went there for the money, he betrayed us'.
    "I had a better (financial) proposition in another country, which I didn't choose.
    "Yes I have good wages here, I can't deny, but every player has good wages. If you play at Arsenal, you have better wages than somewhere else.
    "I didn't choose Manchester City for the money. The Premier League table shows that."
    Nasri admits his debut season at City has been disappointing so far but puts his poor form down to the upheaval of changing clubs.
    "So far it's not my best season," he added. "It's always difficult when you change clubs, even when you stay in the same league.
    "I had a difficult season at Arsenal too, my first one, and after that everything went well.
    "I've had a discussion with the manager. I know how things are. I know that, if I score goals and make assists, then I'll play. If I'm not in good form, I won't play.
    "I'm a competitor and I love playing in the big games. But sometimes you have to accept that, in a big squad, you have to be on the bench, especially if you're not in good form. Then, when you have the chance, you have to show you deserve to play."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 21-01-2012

Craig Gardner celebrates his goal against Swansea.

O'NEILL KEEN TO KEEP GARDNER

Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill reiterated his desire to keep hold of Craig Gardner after the homesick midfielder sealed a 2-0 victory over Swansea in stunning style.
    Gardner's 85th-minute volley extended the lead Stephane Sessegnon's fine 14th-minute finish had given the Black Cats and ended any hope of a comeback by the Swans.
    The former Aston Villa and Birmingham player, who was introduced as a 78th-minute replacement for David Vaughan, has been linked with a move this month after struggling to settle on Wearside following his 5million summer move.
    However, O'Neill is ever more keen for him to stay.
    He said: "We want him to stay at the football club. At this moment, there has been no concrete offer.
    "There is interest from other Premier League teams in and around that area, but there has been nothing concrete and we wouldn't want him to be leaving.
    "I have not thought about an immediate replacement at this moment, so time is running out. We want him to stay.
    "Obviously at home, he is very family-orientated and he has never really been away before.
    "But it is England and you can get from one place to another. It isn't impossible these days.
    "It's not as if to say he is playing in Saudi Arabia."

Uploads

Jelavic: West Ham target

McCOIST REVEALS JELAVIC TALKS

Ally McCoist confirmed talks have taken place between Rangers chairman Craig Whyte and his West Ham counterpart David Sullivan over top scorer Nikica Jelavic.
    But the Light Blues boss insists he is unaware of interest from any other clubs at this stage after the Croatian was also linked with Liverpool, Fulham and QPR.
    Jelavic featured in the Rangers side who fought back from behind to draw 1-1 with Aberdeen in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League at Ibrox.
    McCoist said: "I spoke to Craig today and I believe Craig had a conversation with David Sullivan.
    "But Craig was very keen to point out that absolutely no offers had been made at all. I think it was just a pretty informal chat they had."
    On speculation linking the player with other clubs south of the border, he added: "That's news to me, I've certainly not been told. The only team where there has been an indication of interest is West Ham."

Uploads

Niko Kranjcar: Linked with QPR switch

REDKNAPP: KRANJCAR IS STAYING

Harry Redknapp says there is "no chance" he will sell Niko Kranjcar during the January transfer window and has hinted the midfielder could even play against Manchester City on Sunday.
    Croatia playmaker Kranjcar - who signed from Portsmouth in September 2009 - has made just 10 appearances for Tottenham in all competitions this season, but Redknapp insists the 27-year-old is key to his plans.
    New QPR manager Mark Hughes is reported to be interested in tempting Kranjcar away from White Hart Lane, but Redknapp has moved quickly to quell such rumours.
    "No chance. I wouldn't sell Niko," said the Spurs boss.
    "He might play Sunday. I love Niko - he's a real footballer, a good player.
    "He's just been unlucky, but he's important to me. You could say 'well, why don't you play bloody play him?' But I've got Gareth Bale. It's been hard to get him in the team."
    Third-place Tottenham head to the Etihad Stadium five points adrift of table-toppers City and will be looking to avenge their 5-1 home defeat to Roberto Mancini's team back in August.

Uploads

Stephen Ireland: Set to stay at Aston Villa

McLEISH WANTS TO KEEP IRELAND

Alex McLeish has revealed that he has no intention of letting midfielder Stephen Ireland leave Aston Villa.
    The Villa boss has been impressed with the 25 year-old since his return to regular first-team action in the last couple of months.
    And, after four successive starts, Ireland is now showing the kind of form which saw him crowned 2008-2009 player of the season at his former club Manchester City.
    McLeish, who has to sell to buy, admits Ireland is starting to win over the Villa fans and he has no plans to offload him.
    He told the Daily Mirror: "During the last couple of weeks of good games he has played his training has also been different class.
    "The pictures he sees are those only great players can see. I was a half-decent footballer, but I definitely could not see the pictures Ireland sees and many others can't either.
    "He deserves to be in the team. He wants to go through brick walls for the fans and the club and that has endeared him.
    "It has not happened overnight, we have been chatting to the boy and showing him videos. It has to click with the player eventually.
    "We looked at some of the City stuff.
    "He is a tremendous footballer and it would be a shame to see that talent no fulfilled."

Uploads

James Tomkins: Staying at West Ham

TOMKINS PENS NEW WEST HAM DEAL

West Ham defender James Tomkins has ended speculation about his future by signing a new contract at Upton Park until 2016.
    Tomkins, who came through the ranks at West Ham, has repeatedly been linked with a move to the Premier League since the club suffered relegation at the end of last season.
    Hammers co-owner David Gold insisted earlier this month that the 22-year-old is not for sale amid reports of a 4million bid from Newcastle United.
    Speculation has claimed that Newcastle will now wait until the summer to make a renewed bid to land Tomkins, but the centre-half has pledged his future to West Ham.
    Tomkins made his 100th appearance for the club in Saturday's Championship game against Nottingham Forest and is delighted to be part of Sam Allardyce's squad.
    "I'm really pleased that I've signed a new contract at the club," Tomkins told the club's official website.
    "It's nice to end the speculation about what people have been saying in the papers and commit my future to the club and concentrate on my football.
    "By signing this deal, I'm showing my commitment to the club as they've been brilliant to me this year with all the support they have given to me and the rest of the players.
    "If they continue doing that then together we can return the club back to the Premier League, where we believe we belong.
    "Sam Allardyce has been brilliant this year as well and has shown what he can do on and off the pitch as a motivational manager."

Uploads

Fabian Delph: Loan move to Leeds

GRAYSON HOPES TO KEEP DELPH

Leeds manager Simon Grayson is aiming to persuade Aston Villa to allow the returning Fabian Delph to spend the rest of the season at Elland Road.
    Delph came through the ranks at Leeds and rejoined the Championship club on an initial month-long loan deal on Friday.
    Grayson wants the midfielder to remain part of the Whites' bid for promotion to the Premier League and is intending to hold further talks with Villa.
    "We tried to do it to the end of the season and Fabian wants to come till the end of the season but Villa have only agreed to a 28-day loan," said Grayson in the Yorkshire Evening Post.
    "Over the next 10 days we'll be in negotiations, trying to extend that to the end of the season. That would give us stability and the player stability. But I have to be happy to have him for at least seven games with the potential for him to be here a lot longer.
    "In the 10 days before the window shuts we can turn it into a standard loan which is what we want to do. If not, his 28 days can go on to 93 days but Villa would be able to recall him.
    "There's still a bit of negotiating needed to sort that out."
    Meanwhile, Grayson also rejected rumours that Delph has been signed to replace Jonny Howson, who is set to join Premier League side Norwich.
    He added: "This isn't a deal that's been done in the last 24 hours. We'd spoken about it before Christmas and we were at the mercy of Villa.
    "It was only in the last two or three days that they decided what they wanted to do with him.
    "It's a signing we were looking to do regardless of Jonny leaving. This is an expensive deal for Leeds United but it shows our intent."

Uploads

Gary Hooper: Not joining Southampton

SAINTS MOVE ON FROM GARY HOOPER

Southampton manager Nigel Adkins says he has ended his interest in signing Gary Hooper after Celtic insisted the striker is not for sale.
    Adkins worked with Hooper during his time in charge at Scunthorpe and was keen on a January reunion to boost Saints' bid for promotion to the Premier League.
    Celtic had previously rejected two offers for Hooper and Southampton were understood to be readying a third bid for the 23-year-old.
    However, with SPL leaders Celtic in no mood to sell Hooper, Adkins has decided to move on to other targets after also being linked with Huddersfield forward Jordan Rhodes.
    "Celtic say they don't want to sell him. So that's it, end of story," said Adkins.
    "I know Gary and I'm delighted he's doing so well. He's a top-class striker, but we have other good strikers here, so we move on."
    Adkins also expressed disappointment that his interest in Hooper had come to light and believes Celtic are responsible for the issue reaching the public domain.
    He added: "We've kept everything as private as we can. It's come out from the Celtic end that there was interest from ourselves.
    "We're trying during this window to do everything quietly and privately behind the scenes."