Ex-Steelers OC Arians: Retirement 'was an easy decision for me'

  • NFL.com
  • Published: Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:02 a.m.

Former Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians had kept quiet in the wake of his departure from the Steelers -- not any more.

Arians opened up during an interview with the York Daily Record about how his time on the Steelers staff ended with his announced retirement last week.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora recently reported, citing a league source, that Arians was told that his contract would not be renewed this offseason, and though Arians told the Daily Record retirement had been on his mind, the Steelers decision pushed him in that direction.
"When I wasn't offered a contract, it was an easy decision for me," Arians said.
Arians said that he was told by the organization that he was not wanted back for a sixth season, and team president Art Rooney II did not give a reason why.
"I can't answer that question," Arians said. "Only the people there can. That's the business. I know the job we did as a staff. I don't have any regrets."
Arians also did not rule out a potential return to coaching. League sources told La Canfora on Monday that he has been in contact with teams about possible coaching positions, one of which being the Arizona Cardinals.