Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 01-02-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 01-02-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 01-02-2012

Tevez and Mancini could be reunited

CARLOS TEVEZ LEFT IN LIMBO

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini faces the prospect of a reunion with Carlos Tevez after the Argentinian failed to secure a January move.
    Tuesday night's 11pm transfer deadline passed without news of any potential transfer for the 27-year-old coming to light.
    Barring the possibility of a very late deal having been struck and to be announced on Wednesday, it appears Tevez will remain a City player at least until the end of the season.
    That means Tevez may now return to Manchester from Argentina, where he has been since last November without the club's permission, as was suggested by his advisor Kia Joorabchian last week.
    Mancini was asked about the situation after his side's disappointing defeat at Everton but said he did not know what the latest position was.
    Mancini has previously said it would be "impossible" for Tevez to return and be reintegrated into the squad.
    He did not want to discuss the matter much when asked what would happen if Tevez was still on City's books when the dust settles on deadline day.
    "Tevez is always a Manchester City player," the Italian said. "I don't know what his condition is at this moment."
    When asked if Tevez would still need to apologise to in order to be considered for selection again, Mancini said: "I don't know at this moment."
    AC Milan were thought to be Tevez's favoured suitors but could not meet City's 25million asking price.
    Inter Milan and Paris Saint-Germain also expressed interest but were unable to conclude a deal.
    Liverpool and QPR were also linked but the only rumoured interest remaining now - for this season at least - is from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala, whose transfer window remains open.
    Should Tevez return to City soon, he would do so against the backdrop of an ongoing dispute with the club.
    The former Manchester United and West Ham striker has appealed to the Premier League against the fine for gross misconduct of approximately 1.2million imposed on him by City.
    Tevez has already failed in one appeal to the club's board of directors after being charged over his failure to report for duty whilst back in Argentina.
    A statement from the Premier League read: "The Premier League received correspondence from Carlos Tevez last night [Monday] giving notice of Mr Tevez's intention to appeal against a disciplinary sanction imposed on him by his club, Manchester City.
    "Premier League rules allow for players to appeal disciplinary decisions under Section K and the Premier League Board will consider this request at the earliest available opportunity."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 01-02-2012

Mick McCarthy: Not happy after home defeat

WOLVES BOSS ACCEPTS CRITICISM

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy expects speculation over his future to continue after branding his side's performance "unacceptable" in the 3-0 home defeat by Liverpool.
    Second-half goals from Andy Carroll, Craig Bellamy and Dirk Kuyt completed a memorable seven days for the Reds after their Carling Cup and FA Cup triumphs over the two Manchester clubs.
    But Wolves have now gone nine league games without a win - a run from which they have collected just four points - and there were boos at the final whistle.
    McCarthy said: "After the last home game (against Aston Villa) there were huge rumours that I wouldn't be here.
    "I can't imagine there will be any less after this game. We will see. I can hear what the fans are saying and I fully understand it.
    "It was an unacceptable performance from us in the second half and watching that was unacceptable for me or anybody else.
    "That's as bad a performance as we've had here or away. Fans pay good money to come and watch and they expect better and I understand that.
    "If I had been watching, I'd have probably responded like that as well."
    McCarthy added: "The lads are hurting, there are none of them that have come and not tried.
    "But once we've conceded, we've gone on to be beaten by a considerably better side who have just beaten Manchester City and Manchester United.
    "If you give them goals then it becomes hard work but I understand people's reactions."
    The only consolation for McCarthy was the signing of Tottenham defender Sebastien Bassong on loan until the end of the season shortly before the transfer window closed.

Uploads

Nikica Jelavic shows off his new colours at Goodison

MOYES LOOKS TO JELAVIC FOR GOALS

Everton boss David Moyes believes new signing Nikica Jelavic will provide the Toffees with some much-needed extra firepower.
    The Croatian completed his move from Rangers on Tuesday night for an undisclosed fee, signing a four-and-a-half-year deal, and was introduced to the Goodison Park crowd at half-time during their 1-0 win over Barclays Premier League leaders Manchester City.
    Darron Gibson's goal was only the Toffees' 23rd in 23 league games this season, and there will be an extra weight on Jelavic's shoulders following the departure of Louis Saha to Tottenham.
    Moyes said: "It is great news for us. We have been looking for a centre-forward for a while. We just hope now he can help us score some goals and we can build on the performance (against City).
    "Denis (Stracqualursi) has done great and with Jelavic coming in hopefully it bodes well for the coming months. I think he would have seen the hard work that the players put in.
    "He is coming from a great football club but I think he is coming to another great football club. He really wants to play in the Premier League and he really wants to play for Everton. That goes a long way.
    "He will also want to play for Croatia in the European Championship so hopefully that will keep his form good, keep him hungry to score and play well."
    Jelavic scored 36 times in only 55 appearances for Rangers having been signed for 4million in the summer of 2010 from Rapid Vienna.
    The 26-year-old knows he is making a step up in terms of quality but hopes to be able to maintain the standards he has set for himself.
    "It is a big thing for me and it is a new step in my career, a step forward," he told evertontv.
    "I am very pleased and very excited, it is a new challenge for me.
    "The Scottish Premier League is not as high a level as here in England but I think it will help a lot as it is not so much a big difference.
    "I think I can bring some good football and to score many goals and to try to win some trophies."
    Jelavic was Moyes' third signing of the January transfer window, following a loan for Los Angeles Galaxy forward Landon Donovan and a permanent deal for Gibson from Manchester United, and his arrival was swiftly followed by the return of midfielder Steven Pienaar on loan from Tottenham.
    The South Africa international left the Toffees a year ago but has struggled to make an impact at White Hart Lane and will spend the rest of the season in Liverpool.
    Both clubs worked hard up until the deadline at 11pm to ensure the deal went through and Pienaar, who made more than 100 appearances for Everton in his first spell, said on Twitter: "Happy days. Look like we just beat the clock. Holding thumbs for next few hours."

Uploads

Bobby Zamora: Has joined QPR

ZAMORA EXCITED BY QPR AMBITION

New signing Bobby Zamora predicts an exciting future lies ahead at QPR.
    The 31-year-old striker ended speculation linking him with a move away from Fulham by joining the club's west London rivals on deadline day.
    QPR have confirmed Zamora has signed a two-and-a-half-year deal for a fee Press Association Sport understands to be worth 6million-plus.
    "The ambition of the club was certainly a drawing factor as well [as reuniting with former Fulham manager Mark Hughes]," he told the club's official website.
    "I've been lucky enough to speak to Tony [Fernandes, QPR's chairman] and Phil [Beard, QPR's chief executive] has relayed a lot of messages about where this club want to go.
    "For me, it was quite an easy decision to be a part of this. The sky's the limit. We're looking to go forward and to grow and I want to be a part of that."
    Zamora has cost an initial 4.5million, which will rise depending on performance and will wear the number 52 shirt at the Hoops.
    "QPR are certainly a club that are looking to go forward," he added. "That's something that I'm looking forward to being a part of.
    "I got on really well with the manager at Fulham. We all grew to like Mark. I think that will be the case here. He's looking to take the club forward.
    "I think this was the right time for me to have a fresh challenge. I had some great experiences at Fulham. Going to a European final is special. But this is a new challenge for myself and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it."
    Zamora is not eligible to feature against Aston Villa on Wednesday night but fellow new boy Djibril Cisse could make his debut, subject to international clearance being received at least one hour before kick-off.
    The 30-year-old former Liverpool and Sunderland player returns to England after a spell at Lazio for a fee in the region of 5million euros (4.18million).
    "QPR have a hugely ambitious project," Cisse said. "When I talked to the manager, he spoke highly of the club and where he wants to take it over the next few years.
    "He wanted to sign me at Manchester City and now I am finally here with him at QPR.
    "He wants to achieve big things here - that was all I needed to hear from him."
    As well as signing Zamora and Cisse, QPR also let some fringe players move on.
    Bradley Orr joined Blackburn on a two-and-a-half-year deal, while fellow defender Matthew Connolly will spend the rest of the season on loan at Reading.
    Martin Rowlands and Petter Vaagan Moen both had their contracts terminated by mutual consent.

Uploads

Louis Saha: Has joined Tottenham

HARRY HAPPY WITH SAHA SIGNING

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp will once again try his hand at resurrecting the career of an ageing star after signing 33-year-old striker Louis Saha from Everton.
    Saha joined Tottenham just before Tuesday night's 11pm deadline in one of the surprise moves of the January window.
    The Frenchman replaces Roman Pavlyuchenko, who is heading for Lokomotiv Moscow for 8million while Steven Pienaar returned to Goodison Park for the rest of the season following Saha's exit.
    Many have questioned Redknapp's judgement in bringing in an injury-prone striker past his prime, but he has a history of turning players who are supposedly over the hill in to good performers.
    Redknapp reinvigorated the career of Paolo di Canio at West Ham, somehow managed to get Kanu scoring goals while he was at the twilight of his career at Portsmouth, and has also got the best out of 34-year-old William Gallas since he arrived from Arsenal two summers ago.
    Redknapp is confident that he has not taken a gamble by signing Saha. He said: "He's got good movement, can score goals but probably needs a change. He's out of contract at the end of the year so (Everton boss) David Moyes has let him go.
    "I can remember speaking to Rio Ferdinand and he said he was the best forward he'd played against."
    Tottenham shipped out Sebastien Bassong on loan to Wolves and were awaiting confirmation on Wednesday night that their bid to sign Blackburn's veteran defender Ryan Nelsen to replace him had gone through.
    Nelsen, 34, was out of contract at the end of the season and has only played once for Rovers this term, making him an even more surprising choice than Saha.
    Redknapp insists the New Zealander will have a big impact at Tottenham if the deal goes through, however.
    "I think he's a great competitor and a good sort to have at your club," Redknapp said after Tuesday night's 3-1 win over Wigan.
    "I have always liked him."
    The arrival of both players is welcome given that Redknapp saw his injury list increase.
    Rafael van der Vaart (calf), Kyle Walker (groin) and Emmanuel Adebayor (hamstring) all hobbled off through injury and are doubts for Monday's game at Liverpool.
    Spurs are already without long-term absentees Gallas (calf) and Tom Huddlestone (ankle), while Michael Dawson has only just returned from an Achilles layoff.
    The only other bits of business concluded at Tottenham saw Vedran Corluka join Bayer Leverkusen until the end of the season and youngster Adam Smith sign for Leeds on loan for the rest of the current campaign.

Uploads

Craig Whyte: Open letter to Rangers fans

WHYTE REJECTS TRANSFER CRITICISM

Chairman Craig Whyte defended Rangers' transfer business as the Scottish champions failed to recruit a replacement for top goalscorer Nikica Jelavic ahead of Tuesday night's signing deadline.
    Attempts to sign Norwich striker Grant Holt ended in failure when the Ibrox side confirmed a bid for the club captain was rejected by the Canaries.
    The prospects of filling the void left by Jelavic's move to Everton did not appear good when manager Ally McCoist emerged from Ibrox mid-evening looking grim-faced following a meeting with Whyte.
    That proved to be the case when the 11pm deadline came and went with no new recruits, meaning the capture of Mervan Celik earlier in the month on a free transfer was the club's only signing in January.
    As well as Jelavic, Kyle Hutton, Jordan McMillan, John Fleck, David Weir, Juanma Ortiz and Thomas Bendiksen also headed for the Ibrox exit door on loan deals or permanent moves during the course of the month.
    In an open letter to supporters on Rangers' official website earlier in the day, Whyte said: "Investment in the playing squad has been a thorny issue since I took over the club in May and is the source of endless debate, much of it ill-informed.
    "I want to set the record straight. In the summer transfer window last year we conducted 14 different pieces of transfer business, more than any other club in Scotland.
    "This included new signings and improvement to existing contracts with key players, increasing the players' wage bill significantly. We now have a first team squad of 30 which includes 18 full internationalists.
    "Admittedly, there were transfer targets we did not secure but that is not uncommon. As chairman, I have supported Ally McCoist in his choice of targets and will continue to do so.
    "That said, we must be realistic. Media coverage of the transfer window has bordered on the hysterical.
    "As it stands at the moment Rangers has operating costs of approximately 45 million a year and revenues of around 35million - not including revenue from possible Champions' League and Europa League participation.
    "As we know, European money cannot be taken for granted and it doesn't take much to work out that without it there is a big financial hole to fill every year - regardless of who owns the club.
    "I've said many times that in Scottish football we have to move on from this mindset that you have to keep spending more and more money - that's what got this club into financial trouble before.
    "We have to live within our means, continue to develop talent and spend wisely.
    "These are challenging financial times for Rangers - as they are for many other businesses."
    On the departure of Jelavic, who cost Rangers 4million in the summer of 2010, Whyte added: "We wish the player well and thank him for his contribution to Rangers.
    "The reality of Jelavic's departure is two-fold. One, the player wanted to leave and there is no point in trying to keep a player who no longer wants to be at Ibrox.
    "Two, the club is simply not in a financial position to turn down offers for players which give the club a good return on its original investment."

Uploads

Jorge Molina: Celtic moved for Spanish striker

CELTIC MISSED OUT ON MOLINA

Jorge Molina's agent has confirmed Celtic tried to sign the Real Betis striker before the transfer window closed.
    The Bhoys made an improved offer for the 29-year-old on Monday, but it was rejected by the Primera Liga club.
    Agent Domingo Sevilliano has hinted his client was interested in a move to Parkhead, although it was out of their hands.
    The clubs held talks prior to the transfer window closing, however Betis wanted a higher figure to part company with Molina.
    "In the past week, I have presented offers to Betis, but they didn't get back to me until the weekend," confirmed Sevilliano to the Daily Record.
    "On Monday, Celtic increased the money and there were negotiations.
    "Their offer was interesting to Jorge, but it wasn't up to the player. It was down to Betis wanting more money."

Uploads

Kenny Dalglish: Disappointed

DALGLISH: DOUBTS WERE 'INSULTING'

Kenny Dalglish believes it is a 'wee bit insulting' that people doubted his statement that Liverpool would do no late business before the transfer window closed.
    Liverpool reportedly made an approach to sign Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez last week and offered England international Andy Carroll in exchange.
    Dalglish had stated on Monday that he would not discuss the speculation and also confirmed he was not intending to make any late additions to his squad.
    However, there were rumours on deadline day that the Reds would try to persuade City into letting Tevez move to Anfield on loan for the rest of the season.
    The Reds ultimately signed no-one on the last day of the transfer window and Dalglish is disappointed that his previous comments had been questioned.
    "We don't need to justify the rumours," said Dalglish after Tuesday night's 3-0 win at Wolves. "That is not our problem.
    "You must think we tell you lies because we came out and told you yesterday (Monday) there would be nothing happening.
    "It's a wee bit insulting when people don't believe you and I don't see why we need to be anything other than truthful."
    Craig Bellamy was the star of the show as he ran the Wolves defence ragged in addition to netting his ninth goal of the campaign.
    Dalglish said: "Craig was fantastic again. I wish his numbers were the other way around that, instead of being 32, I wish he was 23.
    "Craig doesn't do anything that surprises you. He prepares himself really well for matches.
    "He knows the best thing for himself within the framework of the team. When he gets the ball, you are expecting something to happen."

Uploads

Ryan Nelsen: Tottenham deal agreed

RYAN NELSEN SPURS DEAL AGREED - AGENT

Tottenham are awaiting confirmation that their move for Ryan Nelsen has gone through after his agent revealed a deal had been agreed.
    Nelsen, 34, was out of contract at Blackburn at the end of the season and has only played once for Steve Kean's men this term.
    Lyle Yorks, Nelsen's Washington-based representative from James Grant Sports, told the Washington Post: "We settled with Blackburn and have reached agreement with Spurs.
    "We're just awaiting clearance. It's for six months, with a one-year option. It all unfolded quickly."
    Spurs boss Harry Redknapp had said on Tuesday night: "I think he's a great competitor and a good sort to have at your club. I have always liked him."

Uploads

Danijel Pranjic: Out of favour at Bayern Munich

PRANJIC CLAIMS EVERTON MOVE BLOCKED

Danijel Pranjic claims he came close to joining Everton on transfer deadline day, only for Bayern Munich to dash his dreams of making a move to England.
    The Croatia international is out of favour at the Allianz Arena and was open to the prospect of moving on in January.
    Everton were prepared to offer him a route out of Bayern, with David Moyes leaving it late to bolster his Goodison Park ranks.
    Pranjic, who can operate in defence or in midfield, saw Bayern block his path, though, with their unrealistic demands causing talks to break down.
    "I had an agreement with Everton for two-and-a-half years," the 30-year-old told Sportske Novosti.
    "I was ready to board a plane and I was really happy because I knew that Everton were serious and that they had big plans for me.
    "But now it is all over and this is a catastrophe. I can't describe the negative feelings I have.
    "Bayern wanted so much money that everybody knew that Everton would not pay.
    "I'm so unhappy because I was sure that I would be leaving Bayern. I don't play and now the opportunity to play in the Premier League has gone. I'm so unhappy."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast