Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 09-02-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 09-02-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 09-02-2012

Fabio Capello: Resigns as England boss

FABIO CAPELLO QUITS AS ENGLAND BOSS

Fabio Capello has quit as England manager.
    Capello resigned following a meeting with FA chairman David Bernstein and general secretary Alex Horne at Wembley Stadium.
    An FA statement read: "The Football Association can confirm that Fabio Capello has today resigned as England manager."
    "This follows a meeting involving FA chairman David Bernstein, FA general secretary Alex Horne and Fabio Capello at Wembley Stadium.
    "The discussions focused on the FA board's decision to remove the England team captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello's response through an Italian broadcast interview.
    "In a meeting for over an hour, Fabio's resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England manager with immediate effect."
    Bernstein said the resignation was the right course of action.
    The FA chairman said: "I would like to stress that during today's meeting and throughout his time as England manager, Fabio has conducted himself in an extremely professional manner.
    "We have accepted Fabio's resignation, agreeing this is the right decision. We would like to thank Fabio for his work with the England team and wish him every success in the future."
    Bernstein and the Club England management team will hold a media conference at Wembley at 12 noon on Thursday.
    The shock resignation brings an end to Capello's four years in charge of England - he had been due to step down after the European Championship and leaves the FA needing to appoint a replacement as soon as possible.
    The next international is later this month, a friendly against Holland on February 29 at Wembley.
    The timing of the meeting coincided almost exactly with Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp, the outstanding candidate to replace Capello, being cleared of tax evasion charges.
    The FA's decision to go over Capello's head and strip Terry of the captaincy until after his July court case where he will deny racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand led to the Italian quitting his £6m-a-year post.
    Capello told Italian TV that he "absolutely" disagreed with the action against Terry and that set him on a collision course with the FA.
    Stuart Pearce, manager of England Under-21s and the Great Britain Olympic team, is expected to be put in charge for the Holland friendly.
    FA head of elite development Gareth Southgate believes Pearce is a strong candidate to take temporary charge, but the longer-term picture may not be so clear.
    He told ITV1: "There is a game at the end of the month. I would imagine the likely solution is someone like Stuart Pearce gets temporary charge.
    "But then you've got to think of the summer and can you get the person you want for the longer term because most of the leading candidates are working with clubs at the moment.
    "Harry Redknapp is clearly one of the leading candidates if you look at his record and what he has done at Tottenham - but I would imagine Tottenham would have a big say in that.
    "[Spurs chairman] Daniel Levy is not going to want Harry to walk out without a fight. I would imagine an awful lot is going to happen over the next few weeks and months."
    Southgate admitted he had been taken aback by Wednesday evening's developments.
    He said: "I am surprised. I was at Wembley today, there was a meeting planned, and a lot of legal people around.
    "But even so you didn't think that this would be the outcome of it. What's gone on in that meeting, we have to wait and find out.
    "It leaves a huge hole just a few months before the tournament (Euro 2012).
    "But there has been a momentum built over the last couple of weeks and sometimes there is that pressure valve. It happens at clubs and in this instance it's with the country.
    "If someone offers their resignation, and it is accepted, there has been a breakdown and clearly both sides are happy to proceed with that.
    "Fabio had got England to another major finals but you've got the feeling, with the media and the public over the last few months, that there has been a bit of falling out of love with Fabio.
    "Maybe he has picked that sense up."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 09-02-2012

Fabio Capello leaves his house on Thursday morning

CAPELLO EXIT LEAVES HARRY FAVOURITE

Harry Redknapp has emerged as the most likely heir to the England job after Fabio Capello's shock walk-out.
    Capello's exit was the culmination of an extraordinary day in English football history, coinciding with Redknapp being acquitted in court of tax evasion charges and thereby removing the main obstacle to his succeeding the Italian.
    The Football Association will explain, in more detail, the reasons behind the departure of Capello at a noon media conference on Thursday.
    "ARRYVEDERCI" was how at least two morning newspapers greeted the exit of Capello and impending arrival of Redknapp - though the FA will face tough negotiations with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy if they want to get the Spurs manager.
    Capello is expected to fly back to Italy after his sudden resignation threw England's Euro 2012 preparations into turmoil.
    He quit after a showdown with the Football Association chairman David Bernstein over their decision to go over his head and strip John Terry of the England captaincy.
    Capello was due to leave his £6million-a-year job after the European Championships but now his successor will have only four months or less to prepare for the finals of a major tournament.
    The dispute had been brewing since Friday when the FA board decided Terry, who is standing trial in July when he will deny a charge of racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand, could not be England captain until after the case.
    Capello, who was not consulted, blew a fuse and told Italian TV station Rai on Sunday that he "absolutely" disagreed with the decision.
    That led to yesterday's meeting and though the FA were not anticipating Capello quitting, both sides were determined to stick to their guns and after an hour of talks that led to the Italian resigning - and the FA accepting.
    An FA statement read: "The discussions focused on the FA board's decision to remove the England team captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello's response through an Italian broadcast interview.
    "In a meeting for over an hour, Fabio's resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England manager with immediate effect."
    Bernstein said the resignation was the right course of action.
    The FA chairman said: "I would like to stress that during today's meeting and throughout his time as England manager, Fabio has conducted himself in an extremely professional manner.
    "We have accepted Fabio's resignation, agreeing this is the right decision. We would like to thank Fabio for his work with the England team and wish him every success in the future."
    Bernstein had consulted with the 14-strong FA board ahead of the Terry decision but had not done so before the meeting today - an indication that he was not intending to sack Capello for his remarks.
    The resignation however gave the FA a way out of a situation that was likely to become increasingly controversial in the build-up to the Euros.
    The new manager will now have to address the issue of whether Terry should be part of the England squad given the racism allegations and the fact that his presence could be divisive - especially if Anton Ferdinand's brother Rio is part of the squad.
    The resignation brought an end to Capello's four years in charge of England - expensive years for the FA and ones which will be remembered as disappointing for the national team when it really mattered, especially at the 2010 World Cup finals.
    The FA will need to move quickly to appoint a replacement but Stuart Pearce, the England Under-21 head coach and coach of the Great Britain Olympic team, is expected to be put in charge for the Holland friendly at Wembley on Wednesday February 29.
    After that, the new manager will have just two friendlies to work with ahead of the European Championships, against Norway on May 26 and Belgium on June 2.
    The first competitive match will be against France, in Donetsk, on June 11.

Uploads

Xherdan Shaqiri: Joining Bayern Munich

BAYERN STRIKE SHAQIRI DEAL

Bayern Munich have completed the signing of Xherdan Shaqiri from Basel with the Swiss midfielder to join the club from the start of next season.
    The 20-year-old passed a medical in Munich earlier this week and the Bavarian club have now announced that a formal agreement has been reached with Basel and the player, who has signed a four-year contract.
    "We are delighted that we have been able to sign Xherdan Shaqiri, one of the most coveted young talents in European football," said Bayern's director of sport Christian Nerlinger.
    Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes is looking forward to working with the Switzerland international next season too.
    "Xherdan will strengthen our team next season with his intelligence and his dribbling skills," he said.
    "I have been watching him for a while now and am convinced that he can become an important player for FC Bayern."
    Shaqiri will get a close look of his future employers in just under a fortnight when Basel host Bayern in the last 16 of the Champions League.
    The size of the transfer fee has not been disclosed, but the player is believed to have a market value of around 10 million euros.
    He had been linked with a move to Manchester United among others.

Uploads

Martin O'Neill: Out of the running

O'NEILL BACKS REDKNAPP FOR ENGLAND

Martin O'Neill has backed Harry Redknapp to succeed Fabio Capello as England manager after ruling himself out of the running.
    The 59-year-old Ulsterman, who has been touted as a possible candidate in the past, believes Tottenham boss Redknapp, who was today cleared of tax evasion charges, is the man to succeed the Italian following his resignation this evening.
    Asked after his side's 2-1 FA Cup fourth round replay victory at Middlesbrough on Wednesday night if Redknapp would be his favourite, Sunderland boss O'Neill said: "Yes he would be.
    "I think when Fabio was going to leave this summertime after the Euros anyway, that Harry would be favourite to take over.
    "I think he should be and I think he deserves that opportunity as well. He should be the one.
    "There has been a cry-out for an English manager now. His achievements at Tottenham in the last couple of years have been outstanding.
    "He has got them through to the Champions League and they look as if they are going to get there again.
    "He's done exceptionally well, and with the result today in the court case, that's no longer hanging over him and that will be a great relief to him."
    Asked if he would like to be considered himself despite being a little more than two months into his job at the Stadium of Light, O'Neill said: "I have just said I think he [Redknapp] should be the one."
    O'Neill's comments came hours after Capello's departure was announced, and the Irishman admitted he was saddened by the development.
    He said: "I am really, really disappointed for him because he's earned the right to take the team trough to the finals. He got them there in the first place.
    "He's a splendid manager, he's proven that over the years. I really am very, very disappointed for him, disappointed that it's come to that. I'm actually quite sad about it."
    Boro manager Tony Mowbray too, was disappointed by Capello's untimely departure.
    He said: "I suppose it says a lot for the man. I am personally disappointed.
    "I have been in Fabio's company once or twice, he seems a genuine, hard-working, honest football manager, and yet it leaves the country in a predicament.
    "I am assuming he has resigned from his job because he felt undermined by the powers above.
    "Sometimes football managers like to control, particularly very successful football managers, like to control, and maybe he felt as if a modicum of control had been taken out of his hands.
    "You have to respect the fact that that's his decision. Where it leaves our country going into a major championships...
    "We will all listen to our radio stations and watch our 24-hour television rolling as the world's media decides where we are going next."

Uploads

Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand: Backing Redknapp

RIO AND ROONEY BACK REDKNAPP

Rio Ferdinand insists England's new manager must be English, and says it should be Spurs boss Harry Redknapp.
    Fabio Capello left his post on Wednesday night to complete a tumultuous day on which Redknapp had earlier been cleared by a London court on all charges of tax evasion.
    Ferdinand, who first came to prominence under Redknapp's tutelage while at West Ham, now says his former boss is the outstanding candidate to replace Capello.
    He said on Twitter: "I think we need an English manager now, we don't need anything else lost in translation....Harry Redknapp would be my choice by a distance."
    Ferdinand's Manchester United and England team-mate Wayne Rooney has also backed Redknapp.
    He said on Twitter: "Gutted capello has quit. Good guy and top coach. Got to be english to replace him. Harry redknapp for me."
    Jack Wilshere admitted his shock at Capello's resignation.
    The Arsenal midfielder won his first cap under Capello against Hungary in August 2010.
    He said on Twitter: "Shocked about news on Fabio Capello...gutted to be honest, gave me my 1st cap and believed in me! Thank you Mr Capello! #GreatManager."
    Wilshere, who has not played this season because of injury, said Capello had had a "massive" impact on his career.
    He tweeted: "People have there own judgement on Capello but for a young player who was given the chance to play for my country at such a young age...
    "He has shown great belief and trust in me so I can only thank him....massive influence on my career so far! Sad to see him go!"
    Like Wilshere, Tottenham defender Kyle Walker took to Twitter to express his disappointment at Capello's departure.
    He posted: "Gutted to see Fabio Capello go he put a lot of trust in me and gave me my first cap just want to say a big thanks really.."
    Former England manager Graham Taylor joined Redknapp and Rooney in backing Redknapp, saying he is "made for the job".
    Taylor, who succeeded Bobby Robson as England manager after the 1990 World Cup but failed to steer the team to a place in the 1994 tournament, claims 64-year-old Redknapp has the ideal qualities for the position, and is at the right stage in his career.
    Taylor told BBC Radio Five Live: "What I'd say about Harry is his age. If I could change anything I just wish the offer of the England job had come towards the end of my career, not when I was in my mid-forties.
    "I just think that taking the England job is far better when you're coming towards the end of your career than when you're a young man. I think Harry is in many respects made for the job.
    "You only have the England players together for so long, they come from different clubs, and they organise and prepare at their clubs in different manners, so you've got all of these different things to sort out and Harry I think is capable of doing that. He has this very good relationship with players."
    Taylor is struggling to see beyond Redknapp when it comes to likely candidates for the job.
    "The public want him, the players want him, sections of the media want him, so that's how it looks at the moment," Taylor said.
    FA head of elite development Gareth Southgate said: "After the weekend it was clear there was going to be some conflict.
    "I suppose what will happen is things will come out in the next few weeks and months. When a manager is in place every player, when interviewed, will say 'he's the best I've played with' but when he goes all the knives will come out. I'm sure we'll see that on Twitter."
    Asked if he believed there was sufficient time to get a replacement before the European Championships, Southgate added: "All possibilities remain open in that respect."
    Speaking during a visit to Sweden, Prime Minister David Cameron said: "I am sorry to see Fabio go. I think he was a good coach and a good man. I don't think he was right about the John Terry issue. You can't be captain with that question mark that needs to be answered.
    "England now needs a new coach and a new captain and I hope we can get on with that and make the best of the opportunity this summer."
    Asked if Redknapp should take over, he said: "The day when the Prime Minister picks the England coach will be a very bad day for football but I am sure we will find someone really good and I am sure that we will play well when the time comes."
    Sir Keith Mills, a non-executive director at Tottenham, says the club will wait to see what develops regarding Redknapp and the England job.
    "I think we're jumping the gun a little bit here," Mills said on BBC Radio Five Live.
    "Whether Harry will be approached is not a foregone conclusion.
    "If he is, then Harry has got a big decision to make."
    Former England defender Danny Mills criticised the FA for their handling of the situation and claimed the Euro 2012 campaign will be compromised as a result.
    "It think the FA have handled this very badly," he told Radio Five Live.
    "He's obviously decided enough's enough and walked out. He's almost dropped England right in it.
    "There's an awful lot of preparation that has gone in it (Euro 2012). It just causes disruption. There will be speculation that people don't need.
    "Players will be asked about Capello, the new manager and about John Terry.
    "He's justified in his decision. Do England need this leading into a major tournament?"
    Mills was also sceptical about whether Redknapp, the favourite to take over the reins, would be able to juggle the England job with his duties at Spurs.
    "I presume Harry Redknapp is the favourite, but he's got a job to do with Spurs until the end of the season," he said.
    "The FA have handled this really badly.
    "You have to find a man very quickly. Someone who wants the job.
    "If it's going to be Harry Redknapp are Spurs going to allow it?
    "The FA are almost going to be held to ransom. The Euros is going to be a trial for whoever takes charge."
    Scotland boss Craig Levein was another to cast doubt on whether Redknapp would be able to do both jobs in the short term.
    Levein said on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I think it's extremely difficult. I believe England have got a great opportunity in the summer going to the Euro finals.
    "It might be very difficult for a manager to stay at his club and devote the time that's needed to do the England manager's job.
    "I don't know what the FA will decide is best way forward."
    Former FA chief executive David Davies claimed Redknapp would find the England job too tempting to turn down.
    "Given the bizarre coincidence of the two events that came together today (Capello's resignation and Redknapp's acquittal) the odds have to be that Harry Redknapp will be the next manager of the England team," Davies said on Sky News.
    "I think there are one or two other strong candidates, but there is a momentum now behind Harry Redknapp that the FA will find hard to resist.
    "My instinct is that someone like Harry Redknapp ultimately will not want to turn down the job of England manager and my instinct is that Tottenham Hotspur ultimately will not want to stand in his way."
    Former England captain Gary Lineker backed Redknapp, claiming he could manage both England and Spurs in the short term.
    He tweeted: "As you ask I think new man should be English. Players have to be, so should boss. HR the man if he wants it. He can do both jobs til May."
    QPR midfielder Joey Barton was typically forthright in his assessment of where Wednesday night's developments, which followed Terry being stripped of the captaincy, left the England team.
    "Well, well, well, this debacle claims yet another victim. Where does this stop. #madness," he said on Twitter.
    "No captain and no manager. 4 months from a major championship. What's going on......."
    England legend Paul Gascoigne gave his backing to Redknapp as Capello's successor, but claimed former England boss Terry Venables should be offered the job if the Football Association could not get the Spurs manager.
    The former Tottenham midfielder told Sky Sports News: "He's (Redknapp) a day-to-day manager, he loves going into work every day.
    "I've spoken to him a couple of times when I've seen him in Bournemouth - great man, great manager and whatever he's done he's done fantastic.
    "I think the obvious choice for everyone is Harry, but I don't think Tottenham are going to release Harry.
    "He is a players' man. Everyone would want to play for him and he's proven that at the clubs he's been to.
    "He's like Terry Venables and I would given him a shot again, truthfully, Terry Venables.
    "If Harry didn't want it and Spurs weren't willing to let him go I would give that man Terry Venables a shot again, without a shadow of a doubt.
    "That man is just an unbelievable manager and Harry is a similar type of bloke. He's one of those managers I would have loved to have played for. And if he was given the job in my mind he would do a fantastic job."
    Gascoigne, the star of the 1990 World Cup, jokingly ruled himself out of contention.
    "I've had to turn the job down myself because I've got a busy schedule at the moment," he added.

Uploads

Brendan Rodgers: New Swansea deal signed

RODGERS SIGNS NEW SWANSEA DEAL

Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers has signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract and set his objective as keeping the Welsh club in the Barclays Premier League for its duration.
    Rodgers put the finishing touches to the deal, having previously agreed in principle to stay on.
    The Northern Irishman, 39, has operated on a one-year rolling contract since moving to the Liberty Stadium in July 2010.
    He guided the Welsh club to the top flight last year and has overseen an impressive start to life in the Premier League as Swansea stand 10th in the table, 10 points clear of the relegation zone.
    The former Reading and Watford manager said: "I'm delighted to sign the new deal. I hope the club and supporters feel it is still a good fit for everyone.
    "I've been very pleased with my work over the last 19 months. I can only promise that over the next three and a half years I will continue to fight for the club and its people to help us become a sustainable Barclays Premier League club.
    "I very much appreciate what Swansea as a city, a club and supporters have given me and my family over the last 19 months, so signing the new contract was one of the easiest decisions of my life."
    Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins said: "It's very good news. We are under no illusions about the fact that we have got one of the best young managers around working for our club.
    "Brendan has shown what he is capable of over the last couple of seasons and what he has done for us has been very pleasing.
    "He is fully behind and supports the philosophy of the club and how we want to work. His personality and immense qualities highlight the importance of finding the right person to work with us to take the club forward.
    "He is very important to us and that's not going to change, so it was very, very important to get the contract sorted out."

Uploads

Mick McCarthy: Has a fan in Roy Hodgson

HODGSON HAILS 'MAGNIFICENT' McCARTHY

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson believes Wolves counterpart Mick McCarthy has been a victim of his own success ahead of Sunday's Black Country derby at Molineux.
    McCarthy steered Wolves to promotion and has kept them in the Barclays Premier League for a third successive season.
    But some fans have called for him to be sacked in recent weeks and certain bookmakers make him favourite to be the next top-flight manager to be sacked.
    Hodgson said: "Mick has done a magnificent job at Wolves - and so has the club owner (Steve Morgan).
    "Mick took them up and then stayed in the Premier League but then people want to see you move on even further and the expectations go up.
    "Unfortunately when you bring teams up, the barrier gets raised and, if you don't bring the players in to match that, then it can be very difficult.
    "The world of football is full of people who do good jobs taking their teams up and then losing their job because they can't do as well in the league above.
    "But Wolves are a very competitive team and will battle right to the end of the season."
    Hodgson is hoping striker Shane Long will be available after back and digestive problems to face Wolves. Long has not started a game since early December.

Uploads

Capello: No longer England manager

FABIO CAPELLO TIGHT-LIPPED

Fabio Capello insists he will not go into detail on the reasons behind his resignation as England manager.
    Capello quit his job following a meeting with FA chairman David Bernstein and general secretary Alex Horne at Wembley Stadium on Wednesday, where they discussed the decision to remove the England captaincy from John Terry and the manager's response through an Italian broadcast interview.
    Capello told ANSA, the national Italian news agency: "I leave England and I will not say anything else."
    When asked about the quotes attributed to him by other Italian news agencies, he said they were "false".
    The Italpress agency quoted Capello at length attacking the Football Association.
    His son Pierfilippo said in an email: "A story on football-italia website quoting Fabio Capello is not accurate and not true.
    "We will take legal actions against any further story of this nature."

Uploads

David Bernstein: 'Preference for an Englishman'

FA COULD LOOK BEYOND ENGLAND

Football Association chairman David Bernstein says the next England manager will ideally be English or British but must above all be "the best person" available.
    The confirmation that the FA will consider overseas candidates, or even Scottish, Irish or Welsh candidates, may be seen as surprising, given it was widely expected that they would train the focus on finding the best English candidate available.
    Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has emerged as the favourite for the post since Fabio Capello quit on Wednesday night, and with his East End roots the 64-year-old would fit the bill if nationality is a priority.
    Stuart Pearce, the England Under-21 and Great Britain Olympic team boss, has been put in caretaker charge for the friendly against Holland on February 29.
    But when asked if the new manager would be English, Bernstein said at a Wembley press conference: "No, he will not definitely be English.
    "Clearly there's a preference for an Englishman. The position hasn't changed.
    "There's a preference for an English person or a British person but in the end we want the best person.
    "So I'm not prepared to rule out anything at this stage.
    "Clearly an English or British person would have a good start on the matter."
    Bernstein said the FA was "open-minded" when it comes to the appointment of the next boss, and did not rule out an initial part-time role.
    He said: "We don't want to rush anything. There's no need to rush. We'll give it proper consideration and it'll have high priority."
    Sitting alongside FA general secretary Alex Horne, director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking and England managing director Adrian Bevington, Bernstein said: "It'll be dealt with by the four of us. We've cleared diaries (for Friday) to start working on this."
    Bernstein explained the search for a new boss was in its very early stage.
    He said: "I don't want to pretend we've got plans in hand at this moment in time that we haven't got. But we'll be moving fast to get our ducks in the right boat."
    Bernstein was keen not to get drawn into speculation over who could replace Capello in the long term, but promised the FA would act as swiftly as possible.
    "I'm not going to go into discussions on individuals," he said.
    "We will do this as quickly and sensibly as we can but don't want to rush the process. We want to to it properly, do it professionally.
    "We will put a shortlist together of key people. We will do it as soon as we can. It will be a major priority for us."
    Bernstein was confident England's preparations for this summer's European Championships in Poland and Ukraine remained on track.
    "We are in very good shape in many ways," he said.
    "The organisational matters for the Euros are in place - our base camp, training camp and all else. There's plenty of time. The squad won't get together until May so there is time for a new man to get in place and do what he needs to do building up to the competition.
    "I think we're actually in a much better place than we appear to be."
    Bernstein said it was important that the new manager was favoured by England fans, adding also that the new man would be allowed to select his own captain.
    "We want to make an appointment that the public are positive about, but we can't be driven by that," he said.
    "We have to do this professionally and with an open mind, but certainly with the desire and wishes of the fans.
    "They (the fans) are crucial to us.
    "I would expect an experienced top man to pick up the reins very quickly.
    "The new manager will make his appointment as captain."
    The Club England directors were under pressure to explain the circumstances of Capello's departure which came after he criticised the decision to strip Chelsea defender John Terry of the England captaincy.
    The decision was made, Bernstein said unanimously by the board, after Terry's trial for racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand was postponed until after Euro 2012. Terry denies the charges.
    "We all believed that the John Terry case would be dealt with in March or April," Bernstein said.
    "When it was postponed we were taken by surprise like everybody else was taken by surprise.
    "The board made a very quick and unanimous decision regarding the captaincy. I informed Fabio on Thursday evening as soon as the decision had been made. Fabio wasn't happy but he accepted the board's authority in the matter.
    "On Sunday Fabio conducted an interview with an Italian broadcaster. That caused conjecture and huge public debate and frankly it was an unsatisfactory situation."
    Club England managing director Adrian Bevington, who it was reported had disagreed with the decision to strip Terry of the captaincy, was asked if this was the case.
    He told the press conference: "It was a board decision and we are all collective in supporting the board's decision. I am an employee of the organisation and I support the decision."
    Bernstein dismissed suggestions the board should have stripped Terry as soon as he was charged.
    He said: "We got it absolutely right. Until the courts decision to postpone it until after the Euros we did feel the best solution here was for the court.
    "Once that changed it changed the whole dynamic.
    "The FA board felt clearly that with the nature of the England captaincy going into a European championships with this issue overhanging what was not what we wanted."
    Bernstein refused to reveal whether there had been any kind of payment to Capello.
    And he denied the appointment of Mr Capello had been an expensive mistake. "It was certainly expensive, but nobody could argue that it was a mistake," he said. "He has been a great manager."
    Redknapp, who was cleared yesterday of tax evasion charges, today played down talk of him stepping in to guide the England team at Euro 2012.
    Redknapp said on Sky News: "I've not even thought about it. I've got a job to do.
    "I've got a big game on Saturday for Tottenham. Tottenham is my focus."
    Tottenham face Newcastle at the weekend, and Redknapp insists all his attention is on that fixture.
    Asked whether he could help out England this summer, Redknapp said: "They (the Football Association) will make whatever decision they want to make.
    "Hopefully it'll be the right decision for the country but my focus is all on Tottenham."
    Capello's decision to walk away caught many, including Redknapp, by surprise.
    Redknapp said: "I was shocked. I was surprised. I didn't expect that to happen.
    "We knew he was going to leave in the summer. I didn't expect it to happen now."
    Rio Ferdinand took a farewell swipe at Capello as he joined Wayne Rooney in endorsing Redknapp to become England's new manager.
    The Manchester United and England defender said the national team "don't need anything else lost in translation", an apparent dig at Capello, whose poor command of the English language saw him face criticism during his four years in charge.
    Former England captain Ferdinand wrote on Twitter: "I think we need an English manager now, we don't need anything else lost in translation....Harry Redknapp would be my choice by a distance."
    Striker Rooney wrote on Twitter last night: "Gutted capello has quit. Good guy and top coach. Got to be english to replace him. Harry redknapp for me."
    Some will miss Capello, with defender Glen Johnson writing on Twitter this morning: "Sad news to see Capello step down. Good man and a Good manager. £ThanksForEverything."
    Sir Keith Mills, a non-executive director at Tottenham, says the club will wait to see what develops regarding Redknapp and the England job.
    "I think we're jumping the gun a little bit here," Mills told BBC Radio Five Live.
    "Whether Harry will be approached is not a foregone conclusion.
    "If he is, then Harry has got a big decision to make."

Uploads

Stuart Pearce: Steps up for Holland game

STUART PEARCE IN TEMPORARY CHARGE

Stuart Pearce will take charge of the England team for the friendly against Holland on February 29, Football Association chairman David Bernstein has confirmed.
    Fabio Capello resigned as England manager on Wednesday following the decision by the FA to strip John Terry of the captaincy because of his pending racism trial in July. Terry denies a charge of racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand in October.
    Harry Redknapp has become the overwhelming favourite to succeed Capello in the long term.
    But Pearce, who served as Capello's assistant, is the England Under-21 boss and will take charge of the Great Britain men's Olympic team this summer, will look after senior national team affairs in the short term at least. He had been due to be in charge of the under-21s against Belgium in Middlesbrough on February 29.
    Bernstein told a press conference at Wembley: "I can announce that Stuart Pearce will manage the England team against Holland.
    "He has huge experience outside and inside the organisation. He has been working with the under-21 team and has been working with Fabio for some time. I have got great confidence in Stuart, we will be in good hands.
    "Our priority then will be to appoint a new England manager."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast