Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 10-02-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 10-02-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 10-02-2012

Terry and Hiddink have a strong relationship

JT COULD HINDER GUUS - AGENT

Guus Hiddink's "strong personal relationship" with ousted captain John Terry could rule him out of contention to be the next England manager.
    The Dutchman has emerged as the most realistic foreign contender for the England job, which became vacant on Wednesday when Fabio Capello resigned over the Football Association board's decision to strip Terry of the captaincy while he fights a charge of racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.
    Hiddink worked closely with Terry during a short but successful spell with Chelsea in the second half of the 2008-09 season which culminated in the Blues winning the FA Cup, and his agent Cees van Nieuwenhuizen told the Daily Telegraph that could be a stumbling block to his appointment.
    "I don't, based on previous conversations with England FA board members, imagine that it would work," he said.
    "Guus also has a very strong personal relationship with John Terry and would be on his side in all this."
    Van Nieuwenhuizen also indicated his client would not be interested in taking on the role just for Euro 2012.
    "He's not done that in the past and had always previously also been involved in qualification," he added.
    Hiddink led Holland to the semi-finals of the 1998 World Cup and took 2002 co-hosts South Korea to the semi-finals, although his most recent posting as Turkey coach ended in failure to qualify for Euro 2012.
    Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is the overwhelming bookmakers' favourite to succeed Capello, and while Spurs forward Jermain Defoe admits Redknapp would be a popular choice, he would be sad to see him leave White Hart Lane.
    Defoe told BBC Sport: "Everyone wants Harry to be the next England manager.
    "He'll never turn round and say 'no I don't want the job', because it's such a big job. We don't want Harry to leave because of what he's achieved."
    Redknapp steered Spurs clear of relegation trouble after taking charge in October 2008 and has since led the team to last season's Champions League quarter-finals and are a good bet to qualify for Europe's premier club competition again at the end of this season.
    Redknapp's former chairman at Portsmouth, Milan Mandaric, has also backed the Spurs boss' claims for the England job.
    Mandaric and Redknapp were both cleared of tax evasion charges relating to their time at Portsmouth on Wednesday, the same day Capello resigned as England manager.
    The Serbian told Sky Sports News: "I don't think there is a better man than Harry Redknapp to take over England.
    "I possibly shouldn't say that because it is not my job to talk about managers who are employees and are very happy with their job.
    "I want England to be successful because I am a big part of English football."
    Redknapp's son Jamie, now a pundit for Sky Sports, admits it has been a turbulent week for the family but prefers the speculation surrounding the England job to the stress which came with the court case at Southwark Crown Court.
    "My family has gone from one storm to another, but I prefer this storm," he wrote in the Daily Mail.
    "My dad has been ill worrying about his case. He has been anxious and angry. Worrying about my mum, who is a gentle and soft person. Worrying about what would happen to her if he ended up with a guilty verdict.
    "I don't want to sound selfish, but whatever my dad ends up doing, he has to do what is best for him. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, it's not meant to, but, after what he has been through for the last five years, it has to be his choice."
    The four-man Club England board will sit down later on Friday to begin the process of selecting Capello's successor adamant they will not be railroaded into appointing Redknapp.
    Overwhelming favourite for the job, it is thought Redknapp could be prised away from White Hart Lane, if not immediately, then at the end of the season.
    Redknapp is due to attend a press conference himself this morning to preview Saturday's home encounter with Newcastle.
    Even though the 64-year-old ticks all the right boxes, FA general secretary Alex Horne is keen to ensure the correct procedures are followed before Capello's replacement is named, no matter how obvious the claims of one man.
    "We understand the feeling of the nation and supporters," said Horne.
    "Fans of England are very important when it comes to choosing the right person for the job.
    "But we have to sit down and look long term. We owe it to ourselves to write up the job brief and make sure we sit down calmly and ensure we have an exhaustive list."
    Horne will be joined in his quest by FA chairman David Bernstein, Club England managing director Adrian Bevington and FA director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking.
    And the brief will involve far more than just managing a football team.
    It is anticipated the successful candidate will pay more than lip service to the National Football Centre in Burton,providing a lead to the numerous coaches and youth teams that will be based there.
    And whilst non-English candidates will be considered, they will need to have a better grasp of the language than Capello mastered in his four years at the helm.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 10-02-2012

Mandaric: No better man than Harry for England

MANDARIC BACKS HARRY FOR ENGLAND JOB

Milan Mandaric believes there is no better candidate to manage England than Harry Redknapp.
    Sheffield Wednesday chairman Mandaric and Tottenham manager Redknapp were together at Portsmouth and Mandaric believes his former colleague is the right man to succeed Fabio Capello as England boss.
    Mandaric and Redknapp were both cleared of tax evasion charges relating to their time at Portsmouth on Wednesday, the same day Capello resigned as England manager over the Football Association's decision to take the national captaincy off Chelsea defender John Terry.
    Mandaric has now backed his friend Redknapp to become the next manager of England.
    He told Sky Sports News: "I don't think there is a better man than Harry Redknapp to take over England.
    "I possibly shouldn't say that because it is not my job to talk about managers who are employees and are very happy with their job.

Uploads

Harry Redknapp: Not thinking about England

HARRY REDKNAPP FOCUSED ON SPURS

Harry Redknapp said on Thursday morning he has "not even thought about" becoming the next England manager.
    The Tottenham boss, who was cleared on Wednesday of tax evasion charges, is the firm favourite to replace Fabio Capello, who resigned after talks with Football Association chairman David Bernstein.
    Redknapp spoke as he left his home near Poole on Thursday, and played down talk of him stepping in to guide the team at Euro 2012.
    He said: "I've not even thought about it. I've got a job to do. I've got a big game on Saturday for Tottenham. Tottenham is my focus."
    Tottenham face Newcastle at the weekend, and Redknapp insists all his attention is on that fixture.
    Asked whether he could help out England this summer, Redknapp said: "I've never thought about it.
    "They (the Football Association) will make whatever decision they want to make. Hopefully it'll be the right decision for the country but my focus is all on Tottenham."
    Capello dramatically resigned over the FA's decision to go over his head and strip John Terry of the England captaincy.
    The FA took that action after Terry's trial for allegedly racially abusing Anton Ferdinand was scheduled for July, after the Euro 2012 finals. Terry denies the offence.
    Although Capello was known to be frustrated by the FA's move, the Italian's decision to walk away caught many, including Redknapp, by surprise.
    Redknapp said: "I was shocked. I was surprised. I didn't expect that to happen.
    "We knew he was going to leave in the summer. I didn't expect it to happen now."
    Redknapp has been in charge at Tottenham since October 2008, when he took over a team sitting bottom of the Premier League.
    He soon lifted the team clear of danger and has since led them to a Champions League quarter-final, while they are involved in the Premier League title battle this season.
    "Tottenham have been fantastic to me," Redknapp said from his car today, as he stopped for waiting reporters.
    "The fans last week at the Wigan game...it was incredible the reception they gave me.
    "It wouldn't be right for them, (for me) to focus on anything else but Tottenham.
    "That's my only interest, is Tottenham Hotspur."
    His son Jamie thinks his father is the "outstanding candidate" - but says it is not a given that he will take the job.
    The Sky Sports says Redknapp Sr will bide his time before deciding his next move - and stressed it is not inevitable that he would leave White Hart Lane if he was offered the post of national team boss.
    "The attention has switched to my dad and everyone's talking about him being the next England manager," Redknapp told skysports.com.
    "He is the outstanding candidate and everyone wants my dad to do it, but it is up to him what he wants to do.
    "The last few weeks might have changed everything; he'll take some time to digest what's gone on and enjoy his football again.
    "If his ambition is to manage England and England want him, I'm sure that will be the case, but at the moment he's very happy working with Tottenham.
    "They've showed him fantastic support during the trial; they've gone there every day. It will be difficult for him to decide what he wants to do."
    Former Liverpool midfielder Redknapp believes Capello never fully gauged the English footballing mind-set and says that is a prerequisite.
    "Once it all kicked off this week with Fabio Capello disagreeing with the FA, I knew that his position had become untenable," added Redknapp.
    "I almost wondered if he manoeuvred it to be that way because I didn't always feel as if he wanted to be here.
    "He hadn't managed in England before and I don't think he really understood the English mentality. It has to be someone who understands the game and knows all players; I think that was always a problem for Fabio Capello.
    "He's obviously a very good manager but I never felt the job meant everything to him, and now it's the right time to have an English manager."

Uploads

Andre Villas-Boas: Chelsea not to blame

AVB: CHELSEA CAN'T BE BLAMED

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas insists his club cannot be blamed for the chain of events which led to Fabio Capello's resignation as England manager.
    Capello resigned on Wednesday following the decision of the Football Association board to go over his head and strip Chelsea defender John Terry of the England captaincy.
    The FA board made their decision pending the outcome of Terry's trial in July on a charge of racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand - a charge Terry denies.
    Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay had written to the district judge asking for the trial to be delayed until after the Chelsea player's domestic and international footballing commitments were over for the season, with the FA initially expecting a verdict in March or April which would have made a decision over Terry's captaincy more clear-cut.
    Villas-Boas stressed: "It was a court decision in the end. We had our preference of course, but I am not sure if it was that preference that made an impact on the court's decision to delay the case.
    "Whatever the consequences of events that ran after, we had nothing to do with it."
    Villas-Boas feels England will struggle to find another coach of Capello's calibre - but declared it would be an "outstanding" progression were the Football Association to appoint Harry Redknapp.
    Stuart Pearce, the England Under-21 and Great Britain Olympic team boss, has been put in caretaker charge for the friendly against Holland on February 29 following the shock departure of the Italian.
    FA chairman David Bernstein said the next England manager will ideally be English or British, but must above all be "the best person" available.
    Villas-Boas believes Capello - who won a string of club titles across Europe before taking on the England job - was certainly that.
    The Portuguese coach said: "First it will be very, very difficult for the FA to find a manager with Fabio's CV, because it is one of the best of the world. He has been a successful manager with most of the clubs he has managed.
    "I am not in a position to say what triggered the consequences or the events that terminated with Capello's resignation because I don't have that inside information, but all I can say is it's a surprise for England to lose such a successful figure in world football.
    "It's a very specific job. Exciting or course, and extremely demanding, under public scrutiny for most of the time, but hopefully a good solution will be found.
    "The team is in the European Championships which is the most important thing, there are big favourites for the job and big expectancy regarding Harry's future, but it's up to the FA to decide."
    Redknapp's stock has risen again after taking Tottenham into the Champions League and then on above Chelsea this season.
    Villas-Boas added: "I would congratulate him for sure. He has had an outstanding career that was made even better through time with continuous success, and culminating a fantastic career with managing the national team would be outstanding."
    Terry, meanwhile, will miss Chelsea's match against Everton this weekend as he recovers from a knee injury, and has been given some extra time away from Cobham by the Blues boss.
    "He has a couple of days off, but that is because of his injury, not the turmoil and the media," Villas-Boas said.

Uploads

Robbie Keane: No loan extension

VILLA 'CAN'T EXTEND KEANE LOAN'

Aston Villa have been unsuccessful in their attempt to extend Robbie Keane's loan period and he will return to the Los Angeles Galaxy after the clash at Wigan on February 25, Press Association Sport understands.
    Keane has made a big impression at Villa, scoring three goals in two league starts, and Villa were hoping he could remain with them for a further week.
    But the Galaxy want Keane to return after playing at the DW Stadium to prepare for the new Major Soccer League season which starts on March 10.
    Keane will feature in Sunday's Barclays Premier League meeting with Manchester City but Villa's FA Cup exit means he will have a two-week wait before his final appearance against the Latics.

Uploads

Redknapp: Continues to be backed for England post

FERGIE AND MANDARIC BACK REDKNAPP

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has backed Harry Redknapp as "the best man" for the England job.
    Tottenham boss Redknapp is being widely tipped as the replacement for Fabio Capello, who resigned as England manager on Wednesday evening.
    "There is no doubt Harry Redknapp is the best man," Ferguson said.
    "The press have decided. Harry is the best man.
    "He has the experience and personality and the knowledge of the game. He has changed the fortunes of every club he has been at.
    "He is the right choice.
    "You should try to get the best man with the best qualities. A young manager has no chance."
    Tottenham are in the hunt for their first league title since 1961 and there has been a suggestion Redknapp could take the England job part-time.
    But, Ferguson who took on the Scotland job for the 1986 World Cup while Aberdeen manager following the death of Jock Stein, cautioned against that approach.
    He added: "I tried it myself with Scotland in Mexico. I found it very difficult."
    Mandaric also believes there is no better candidate to manage England than Redknapp.
    Sheffield Wednesday chairman Mandaric and Tottenham manager Redknapp were together at Portsmouth and Mandaric believes his former colleague is the right man for the job.
    Mandaric and Redknapp were both cleared of tax evasion charges relating to their time at Portsmouth on Wednesday, the same day Capello resigned as England manager over the Football Association's decision to take the national captaincy off Chelsea defender John Terry.
    Mandaric has now backed his friend Redknapp to become the next manager of England.
    He told Sky Sports News: "I don't think there is a better man than Harry Redknapp to take over England.

Uploads

Ryan Giggs: Extends United stay

RYAN GIGGS SIGNS NEW MAN UNITED DEAL

Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs has signed a one-year contract extension, the club confirmed on Friday.
    The deal means the 38-year-old is set to play in a 22nd season for the Old Trafford club, for whom he made his debut in March 1991.
    In that time he has made a club record 898 appearances, scoring 162 goals, and won
    12 Premier League titles, four FA Cups, three League Cups, two Champions Leagues, one Super Cup, an Intercontinental Cup and a FIFA Club World Cup.
    United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said: "Ryan is a marvellous player. In many ways, he epitomises all my teams here at United; he has constantly re-invented himself, adapted to the changing nature of the game and retained that desire and hunger for success.
    "In every training session and match, he is the example for others to follow.
    "The young players in the dressing room have a great chance to learn from a player who will continue to break records that anyone in the game will find hard to beat."
    Former Wales international Giggs said: "When I signed my first contract, I never thought I'd be able to play at United for 22 years but I feel good and I know I can still contribute to keeping the team pushing for honours.
    "Winning the Club's 19th title was a great feeling but this club is all about what we do next and I'm really pleased I can be part of that."

Uploads

Nicolas Gaitan: Wanted by both Man United and Man City

ENGLAND-BOUND GAITAN TO LEAVE

Benfica have confirmed that Manchester United and Manchester City target Nicolas Gaitan is set to be sold this summer.
    The midfielder is valued by the Portuguese side at 30 million euros, having attracted the interest of Sir Alex Ferguson when the sides met in the Champions League.
    But Manchester City have also shown an interest after watching the 23-year-old during Benfica's win over Maritimo last week.
    Benfica are bracing themselves for offers when the transfer window re-opens in the summer and hope to raise 50 million euros in all of their dealings.
    Club president Luis Filipe Vieira said: "The sale of players is the priority for Benfica but only if it is helping the club.
    "Our aim is to break even and make around 50 million euros in the summer through sales."
    It is understood that Benfica coach Jorge Jesus has been told that Gaitan is to leave in the summer.
    They are also expecting to lose Paraguay striker Oscar Cardozo and Argentina defender Ezequiel Garay.

Uploads

Arsene Wenger: Not tempted by England role

WENGER 'NEVER TEMPTED' BY ENGLAND JOB

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insists international management is not for him but feels the England job could be done part-time in the short term.
    Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is being widely tipped as the replacement for Fabio Capello, who resigned his post in charge of the national team on Wednesday night following the Football Association's decision to strip John Terry of the captaincy while he contests a charge of racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.
    Redknapp has led Spurs back into the top three of the Barclays Premier League and there have been suggestions the 64-year-old could take on dual roles through to the summer's European Championship in Poland and Ukraine.
    Frenchman Wenger is now part of the English football establishment, having transformed the Gunners since his arrival in September 1996, and the experienced 62-year-old's name always gets mentioned when the vacancy at the top occurs.
    Wenger, however, stands by his views the next boss must be home grown.
    "England is a big football country with over 65 million people who have a big passion for the game. I love England and I want England to do well. Therefore I let the FA deal with that problem," he said.
    Asked whether the job could be done alongside working in the Premier League, Wenger added: "On a short-term (basis) yes, in the long term, no."
    The Arsenal manager continued: "I have never really been tempted by the national team job because for me it is a completely different job.
    "I was always under contract, I respected contracts in my life. I am a little bit in a marathon job inside the club and the national team job is a sprinter's job.
    "Maybe I have not enough quick fibres, but I am more interested in a day-to-day basis job.
    "(Being a national team manager) is completely different; it is more PR, more communication, there is less impact on the footballing side and less impact on building the team because if you have a good generation in the country then you can do well and if you don't you can do nothing. In a club you always have ways to build a team."
    Wenger claimed he had "ruled myself out of many national team jobs" down the years, but has again been linked with taking over at the helm in France.
    The Arsenal manager added: "In the future I don't know (whether I would ever manage a national team) because what I do now demands a lot of physical power and to be super fit physically, that might not always be the case."

Uploads

Raymond Verheijen: Set for Wales talks

COLEMAN KEEN ON VERHEIJEN

Wales manager Chris Coleman is keen for Raymond Verheijen to be part of his backroom staff after holding talks with the outspoken Dutchman.
    Verheijen was assistant manager under Coleman's predecessor Gary Speed, and is a popular figure with senior players in the national squad, including captain Aaron Ramsey and Craig Bellamy.
    Many had expected Verheijen to be dispensed with after he publicly expressed an interest in succeeding Speed, and with Coleman set to bring his former Fulham and Wales team-mate Kit Symons into the Wales set-up.
    Osian Roberts, another of Speed's assistants, had already held talks with Coleman, and Verheijen tweeted earlier this week that his initial discussions with the former Coventry boss had been "positive".
    And, although Coleman was keen to play down the significance of the meeting, he told BBC Sport Wales: "We're very much looking for that [Verheijen staying].
    "But we've only had one meeting, so I spoke as much with Raymond as I did with Osian Roberts or anyone else - nothing special.
    "People have made it into something that it's not, really. It was a productive meeting and we'll speak again. It was promising."