Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 12-02-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 12-02-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 12-02-2012

Tevez: Can still be involved for City

MANCINI: TEVEZ CAN PLAY A PART

Roberto Mancini has reiterated his view that Carlos Tevez could still have a role to play in Manchester City's bid for the Premier League title this season.
    Tevez has not played for City since September since his now infamous refusal to warm-up during the UEFA Champions League defeat away by Bayern Munich.
    He has spent over two months back in his native Argentina and saw a move away from City in the January transfer window fail to materialise.
    The 28-year-old is expected to return to Manchester in the next few days and Mancini is prepared to welcome the forward back into his plans.
    Mancini is willing to speak to Tevez and the City boss believes the former Manchester United man can be involved in the club's push for honours.
    "Everyone knows Tevez is a top player and it probably would have been better for us if he'd been here," said Mancini.
    "Carlos has the ability to change a lot of games. If he comes back next week, maybe he can help us in the last three months.
    "I don't know if he is in good condition or not. I don't think so because he hasn't played for four months. But Carlos recovers strength very quickly.
    "Carlos knows the situation. If he comes back, we talk. Why not? I don't have a problem."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 12-02-2012

Daniel Cousin in the stands at East End Park

RANGERS CLOSE IN ON COUSIN DEAL

Rangers manager Ally McCoist hopes to finalise Daniel Cousin's return to Ibrox early next week.
    The Scottish champions are awaiting paperwork from the Gabon Football Association in order to re-sign the striker who left for Hull in 2008.
    Cousin was in the stand at East End Park as Rangers fought back from behind to earn a 4-1 win over Dunfermline.
    McCoist said: "We are still waiting on some paperwork coming through from the Gabon FA.
    "I'm told it should hopefully be here at the beginning of the week, Monday or Tuesday. Daniel will come in and train on Monday.
    "As yet he hasn't signed but we are very, very hopeful we can get that done."

Uploads

Yakubu Aiyegbeni: Not tempted to leave

YAKUBU HAPPY AT BLACKBURN

Yakubu Aiyegbeni insists he was never tempted to join QPR last month as he is happy and settled at Blackburn.
    The Loftus Road club were linked with a move for the Nigerian hitman after Mark Hughes took charge following Neil Warnock's exit.
    Yakubu was aware of the interest from the Rs, but informed them he had no plans to quit Ewood Park after joining from Everton last summer.
    The 29-year-old appreciates the response he has received from Rovers fans this season and wanted to stay loyal to Steve Kean's side.
    "I know QPR want me, but I'd made up my mind I'm not going there so I told them," explained Yakubu.
    "I want to achieve things here, like keeping the club in the Premier League.
    "The fans and players have been good for me. You don't turn your back on that.
    "I didn't want to come here for a few months and then leave again. My family and I are happy here."

Uploads

Matthew Upson: Set to stay at Stoke

PULIS PLANNING UPSON STAY

Stoke boss Tony Pulis wants Matthew Upton to stay despite interest from China.
    Shanghai Shenhua claimed earlier this week that they were in talks to sign Upson, who has slipped down the pecking order at Stoke.
    Southampton are thought to have failed with a loan move for the 32-year-old last month and despite interest from Shenhua, Pulis plans to keep the former West Ham man at the club.
    "I want to keep Matty," said Pulis. "Matty had the opportunity to go out on loan during the window and we turned that down.
    "One or two clubs wanted to take him on loan - there wasn't a permanent deal on the table for Matty."

Uploads

Tim Ream: Impressed Thierry Henry

REAM REVEALS HENRY RECOMMENDATION

Bolton's new arrival Tim Ream has revealed former team-mate Thierry Henry recommended him to Arsenal.
    The 24-year-old could have been lining up alongside his former New York Red Bulls club-mate Henry for the Gunners and heading for a Champions League tie in Milan, however the American centre-back has joined a relegation scrap at the Reebok.
    Following his 2.5million transfer to Bolton, Ream revealed Arsenal's comeback star had offered glowing references about him.
    "That's what I was told happened - that Thierry (Henry) spoke to Arsenal about me. Obviously he has great connections there and at other places too," he told The Sun.
    "There was an enquiry from Arsenal and I think there might have been an offer put in. I think it might have been happening while talks were going on at Bolton too.
    "I played in the Emirates Cup at Arsenal's stadium during the summer and I was aware of their interest.
    "It would have been great to go there. But I don't know how much I would have played and that's what I want to do.
    "Of course I'd love to play Champions League one day. As a player you want to be in the top competitions and that's the top one in Europe."

Uploads

Alex McLeish: Has Dunne's backing

DUNNE DEFENDS UNDER-FIRE McLEISH

Defender Richard Dunne has pleaded for Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish to be given time to make his mark at the midlands club, insisting: "You can't bring success overnight."
    A section of Villa fans are proposing a demonstration against McLeish ahead of Sunday's Barclays Premier League clash with Manchester City.
    But statistics show McLeish's record after 23 league games at Villa is better than that of Martin O'Neill, who steered the club to three successive top six-finishes, and Gerard Houllier.
    The former Birmingham boss has also had to contend with having limited money at his disposal for new signings and having to reduce the wage bill.
    Dunne said: "Alex McLeish is desperate for this club to do well. Realistically for us to be challenging in the top 10 is sensible until the manager can settle the team down and make it grow.
    "You can't bring success overnight. You need to give the manager time. He needs enough time to put his stamp on the team and build a squad and team to challenge.
    "He's a good man. He's here all day, every day, doing absolutely everything he can to try and get things right.
    "He talks to every player and wants their feedback to see what we can do to improve things and make things better. He's the same as the players. He's trying 100%.
    "Not everything we do is going to be correct but it's not for the want of trying."
    Former City player Dunne insists the players have a healthy respect for McLeish.
    He said: "He treats us with great respect and treats men like men. He's also an honest guy.
    "If you're doing well you'll get a pat on the back and, if you're not, you'll get told. I think we all need that.
    "He's not afraid to stand up and tell people things. It creates men and it makes you want to be stand up and be counted.
    "He has a fierce will to win too. He loves winning and hates losing. He has that winning mentality, 100%."
    McLeish believes Villa striker Darren Bent will get a fair crack of the whip from Harry Redknapp if he becomes the next England boss.
    Bent was offloaded from Tottenham by Redknapp and, after one missed chance by the player, joked that his wife Sandra could have scored it
    McLeish said: "I've not spoken to Darren about it. I can understand his concern but Harry will look at all possibilities and see Darren's record is pretty good.
    "He may pick Sandra first! Seriously, I think Benty will have as good a chance as anyone if he keeps scoring goals, and he has been scoring recently.
    "He missed a few last week but again he was in the right positions. He had three or four shots at goal, a good ratio away from home in one game."
    Bent's strike partner, Gabriel Agbonlahor, is likely to be missing against City as he struggles to overcome back and hamstring problems.
    McLeish said: "He is still a little bit tight in the hamstring area. We believe it is a nerve touching the disc. We are trying to rectify that.
    "We know that Gabby would be very willing to play the game but, when he says that he is struggling a bit, you know that it is a genuine complaint."

Uploads

Harry Redknapp: Favourite for England job

Harry Redknapp intends to see out the remainder of the season with Tottenham.
    Redknapp is the overwhelming favourite to replace Fabio Capello as England boss and it appears only a matter of time before he receives an official approach from the Football Association.
    However, with Stuart Pearce confirmed as caretaker boss for this month's friendly against Holland, there is no immediate rush to make an appointment.
    And with no games to play until two weeks after the Premier League season has finished, there must be a chance Redknapp will be allowed to remain with Spurs to try to engineer a successful conclusion to a stellar campaign so far.
    "I hope so," said Redknapp. I'd be very surprised if I didn't finish the season with Tottenham, that's for sure.
    "I haven't thought about not being here at the end of the season and I've got no idea why I shouldn't."
    It does seem like a plausible scenario, which would allow Redknapp to take over England duties for the friendlies against Norway and Belgium, then into a Euro 2012 campaign the majority of planning for has already been completed.
    Redknapp has admitted to uncertainty over whether the England job could be done part-time.
    However, in these circumstances, it is difficult to see why not, if Redknapp wants the job.
    "I don't think you ever think you're going to be in a position (where you will be appointed manager)," he said.
    "I haven't got a big ego. There have been cleverer boys about than me who haven't had the opportunities I've had.
    "I've been lucky to have the opportunities and I've done well when I've had them.
    "But whilst it is flattering to be mentioned at the moment, I never think I should be doing this or that."
    The fact Redknapp is the people's choice is inescapable.
    He would only have to turn on the radio during his three-hour trip from Dorset to Tottenham's Spurs Lodge training ground to know that.
    Going right back to Sir Alf Ramsey's time, no-one would have come into the job on such a wave of goodwill as Redknapp.
    If he masterminded a triumph at Euro 2012, he would get all the credit. Should it all go wrong, Fabio Capello will receive the blame.
    However, Redknapp has been around for far too long to be drawn into the belief that he is untouchable.
    "Let's not kid ourselves, it is aggro," he said.
    "You know what's coming. There has been a lot of great managers and when someone like Capello finds it hard going, it has got to be hard going and no-one likes personal abuse, do they?
    "Everybody always thinks they can pick a better team than the manager, so you have to make sure your team wins then no-one can argue with you.
    "But if you get beaten, you've got a problem."
    In fairness to Capello, he came closer to squaring that circle than most, and it still wasn't enough.
    He quickly noted a lack of confidence in his players too, something FA chairman David Bernstein noted yesterday had not been solved, and which Redknapp himself has now made reference to.
    "They do go into their shells a bit," he said.
    "You wonder sometimes whether you'd rather see the games played at Old Trafford or Anfield where there's an atmosphere and it's intimidating. I've often thought that.
    "Wembley is a showpiece stadium, with open pitch and it's not quite the same."
    It seems Redknapp's plan would be to massage the egos.
    As jocular as his approach seems to be, he has mastered the art of getting the most from his players, which does not just happen with a laugh and a joke.
    Capello tried the disciplined method, which met with resistance.
    Redknapp uses his own example to show that words of praise may get better results.
    "England have got great players, it's about getting the best out of them," he said.
    "It's the same for everyone. If the editor is telling you you're doing a great job, you feel good. If he keeps telling you you are rubbish, it's murder. Your confidence goes.
    "We all want a pat on the back.
    "I want the chairman to say 'well done' to me. I love it if he says 'Harry, you aren't half doing a good job for us'."

Uploads

Capello: Has reportedly travelled to Russia for Anzhi talks

FABIO CAPELLO 'TO HOLD ANZHI TALKS'

Former England coach Fabio Capello could be set for a swift return to management amid reports he has travelled to Russia to hold talks with Anzhi Makhachkala.
    Reports in both Italy and Russia claim that Capello has arrived in Moscow to discuss the Anzhi post just days after quitting as England boss.
    Capello resigned his role with the Three Lions on Wednesday following his criticism of the Football Association's decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy.
    The 65-year-old was a target for mega-rich Anzhi during his time in charge of England and he could now take over the ambitious Russian club.
    According to reports, Anzhi have sacked current boss Yury Krasnozhan, although there has been no official confirmation of the decision.
    Krasnozhan only became Anzhi boss in December and the club say that his future will be decided on Monday amid the growing speculation concerning Capello.
    "There will be changes in the club staff," said Anzhi deputy president German Chistyakov. "We have serious reasons for those changes."
    Speculation also suggests that Anzhi officials have travelled to Italy to hold talks with Inter Milan regarding a stunning swoop for Dutch playmaker Wesley Sneijder.
    Anzhi have previously signed Samuel Eto'o from the Serie A club and the Russian transfer window remains open until later this month.

Uploads

Christian Eriksen: Set for Fergie inspection

ERIKSEN INTERESTS MAN UNITED

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is looking forward to watching Ajax teenager Christian Eriksen when the teams meet on Thursday.
    United face Ajax in the first leg of the last 32 of the Europa League and Eriksen is expected to be one of the influential figures in the tie.
    The Denmark international has been linked with a string of Europe's leading teams, including United, following a string of impressive performances for club and country.
    "There's been a lot of attention on him," Ferguson said. "Everybody's been watching him. We'll see what he's like."
    Meanwhile, Ferguson insists his team are looking to add the Europa League to their lengthy list of prizes in recent years.
    "We definitely want to win this tournament," Ferguson added. "I am treating this seriously. We're going to have a go.
    "The thing is to look forward to it. It's still European football. It's still a good standard of football. The great thing is that we don't have a game on the Saturday, so I can play my strongest team and I will."