Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 13-02-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 13-02-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 13-02-2012

Ledley King: Wants boss Redknapp to stay

Tottenham captain Ledley King hopes Harry Redknapp snubs England and remains in charge at White Hart Lane.
    Redknapp is the overwhelming favourite to succeed Fabio Capello as England manager after the Italian's shock resignation on Wednesday.
    The Spurs boss admits he considers the position as the "ultimate" job in football for any English manager and he did his chances no harm by masterminding a resounding 5-0 hammering of Newcastle at the weekend.
    A double from Louis Saha on his full debut, and strikes from Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Niko Kranjcar and Emmanuel Adebayor helped the Londoners stroll to victory with a breathtaking performance full of flair, power and pace.
    Tottenham's supporters made their feelings towards Redknapp clear by chanting "We want you to stay" on several occasions, and King echoed their sentiments by saying: "As a group of players we love him and hopefully he will stay.
    "This sort of speculation always happens in football, but we would love to keep him.
    "Harry has brought the club on massively. We were bottom of the league when he first came in and the results picked up immediately.
    "Straight away he showed his people skills, his ability to lift players even when their confidence was low.
    "He has gone from strength to strength, brought in some good players, experienced players who know what it takes. It has been really good."
    The Football Association met on Friday to draw up a shortlist of possible candidates to replace Capello and after being cleared of tax evasion on Wednesday morning, there now appears to be little preventing Redknapp from taking the job.
    Redknapp is likely to remain in his current role until the end of the season, however, after admitting on Friday that it would be almost impossible to combine the two roles.
    Having seen the club climb to third in the Barclays Premier League table, King is determined not to let talk of Redknapp taking the England job distract him and his team-mates in their quest for a first title since 1961.
    "We need to keep our focus until the end of the season. What will happen in the summer will happen," the defender said.
    "I am pretty sure the gaffer will be here until then."
    Assou-Ekotto put Tottenham ahead with a good finish from a tight angle on Saturday before Saha added his first from an Adebayor cross after five minutes.
    The Frenchman then added a second after 20 minutes before goals from Kranjcar and Adebayor sealed the rout for the hosts, who are now 10 points clear of fourth-placed Arsenal.
    Saha admitted afterwards that his first start had a Roy of the Rovers touch about it.
    "It was a great, great feeling," the 33-year-old said.
    "I am not that young, but it's just like I was living the dream of a young boy - to make your debut and score on your home ground, it's just amazing.
    "As a kid, you always dreamed of playing fantasy football, attacking football and you've seen that here.
    "In the first 15 minutes, it was like the quickest football that I've ever played. To be part of that is just a pleasure."
    Newcastle made the long trip back to Tyneside having barely threatened Tottenham goalkeeper Brad Friedel.
    Demba Ba created a couple of chances, but in all honestly Newcastle looked way out of their depth despite sitting just three places below Spurs in the league.
    "Spurs caused us all sorts of problems," manager Alan Pardew said.
    "We conceded two quick goals and we couldn't get ourselves settled after that.
    "We had a really bad opening 15 minutes where we were all over the place.
    "Every one of their players played absolutely brilliantly. I can't think of one who had an off day.
    "I'm pleased we stayed disciplined in the second half, though.
    "We didn't really let them expose us too much even though they had their tails up and were playing with great confidence.
    "That is about the only thing we can take out of it really."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 13-02-2012

McCarthy: Under pressure

Mick McCarthy insists he is still the right man to lead Wolves' fight against relegation after their 5-1 mauling by West Brom despite growing anger among fans.
    Peter Odemwingie's first Barclays Premier League hat-trick pushed Wolves back into the bottom three with Jonas Olsson and Keith Andrews completing the Molineux rout.
    Some supporters vented anger towards the directors' box - although owner Steve Morgan was not present - and then a couple of hundred fans staged a demonstration outside the ground after the game.
    McCarthy felt the need to apologise for his team's performance but, when asked if he is still the right man for the job, he said: "I always feel I'm the right person to do it, absolutely.
    "I apologise to the fans for the performance. I've never done it before but it was warranted because it was awful in the last half an hour.
    "Whatever the fans were saying, we deserve every bit of it, no problem.
    "Whatever grief they were giving out to me and the players was fully justified after that performance."
    It remains to be seen whether the patience of Morgan, who is taking a half-term break with his family, has finally snapped.
    McCarthy admitted: "The saddest part was that we capitulated and that's not something I would associate with me or my teams. It was very disappointing although 'disappointing' is an understatement.
    "It turned out to be a terrible and disgraceful afternoon in terms of our performance at the end of it.
    "I can't give any more messages to the fans - I've apologised for the performance which is about all I can do just at the moment.
    "Everyone has seen us get towelled by a team who were better than us on the day. To lose as we did in the last knockings of the game was awful."
    His Baggies counterpart Roy Hodgson took time out from his pride at Albion's performance to give his backing to McCarthy.
    He said: "Of course, I feel sympathy and empathy for Mick. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I think Wolves can be more than satisfied with what Mick has done for this club.
    "I think he's done an excellent job and continues to do an excellent job. But, on the other hand, I don't want to appear naive.
    "It doesn't matter whether you're God Almighty or Mick McCarthy, people are going to think there are people out there who can do the job better. My final comment on the subject is that people should be careful what they wish for.
    "I think Wolves will still stay up if they keep their heads because they have an outstanding owner as well as an outstanding manager."
    Hodgson, who celebrated a year in charge of Albion on Saturday, said: "I couldn't get a better anniversary present could I?
    "It was certainly up there as our best performance since I've been at the club."
    Steven Fletcher cancelled out Odemwingie's opener on the stroke of half-time but Albion made their superiority count after the break to take their points tally to 14 from the last seven away games.

Victor Moses: 'Big asset', says Martinez

Roberto Martinez expects Wigan to be able to agree a new contract with Victor Moses, but admits the issue is currently on hold.
    Moses has enjoyed an impressive season for the Latics and is expected to be an influential figure in the club's battle to avoid relegation.
    The winger has been discussing a new deal at the DW Stadium for some time and Martinez admitted before Christmas that he was optimistic an agreement could be reached.
    Queens Park Rangers were linked with a January move for Moses, but Martinez does not want to lose the former Crystal Palace youngster.
    However, with Wigan fighting to stay in the top flight, Martinez has admitted all negotiations regarding the future of his squad are on the back-burner.
    "He is a big asset for our football club," said Martinez after Moses shone in Saturday's 2-1 win at relegation rivals Bolton.
    "He is only a young man but the manner in which he is taking responsibility and playing his football in the circumstances we are in shows how strong-minded he is.
    "I know that the can go on to the next level but he probably needs another 40 or 50 games in the Premier League.
    "He is capable of playing for any team. He understands how important he is for us and I'm sure we're going to be able to extend his contract.
    "There have been some developments but, as you can imagine, the situation at the club is so important that every personal issue is going to be looked at after the next few weeks."

Rene Tretschok and Ante Covic have been placed in temporary charge of Hertha Berlin following the dismissal of Michael Skibbe.
    Skibbe paid the price for a run of five successive defeats in all competitions since replacing Markus Babbel during the winter break.
    Tretschok and Covic, who between them played 157 games for Berlin and were in charge of the club's under-19 and under-15 sides respectively, will sit on the bench for Saturday's clash with Borussia Dortmund.
    However, the club is looking at other candidates to fill the role on a full-time basis.
    One of those is former Berlin coach Falko Gotz, who is currently out of work after a spell in charge of the Vietnam national team.
    "Everybody at Hertha knows that I am ready to help the club," Gotz told the Berliner Zeitung newspaper.
    "Hertha was my first job as a Bundesliga coach and they always have a place in my heart.
    "I am ready and willing, it just takes a call from the club."
    Gotz stepped in as a temporary solution in 2002 before becoming head coach in 2004 for almost three seasons.
    Meanwhile, Germany World Cup winner Franz Beckenbauer has hit out at the Hertha players for their performance in this weekend's 5-0 defeat to Stuttgart.
    "The question is how you lose games and what the team did in Stuttgart was refuse to work," he told Sky television.
    "The team played against Skibbe. There was no passion, no enthusiasm. A team cannot play the way it did against Stuttgart, that is impossible."
    Former Hoffenheim coach Holger Stanislawski is also regarded as a leading candidate for the Hertha job.

Carlos Tevez: Set for return to Manchester City

Carlos Tevez is ready to pull on a Manchester City shirt again following a 'thawing' in relations between the striker and club.
    The Argentina international has not played for City since his refusal to warm-up during the Champions League defeat by Bayern Munich in September.
    His City career appeared to be over and he has spent the last couple of months back in his homeland after failing to secure a January move away from the Etihad Stadium.
    However, Tevez is due to return to Manchester this week and could now play a part in City's bid to win the Premier League title.
    Paul McCarthy, who is an advisor to Tevez's representative Kia Joorabchian, has confirmed there have been discussions recently which have paved the way for the forward to return to Roberto Mancini's squad.
    "There's been a lot of negotiation behind the scenes and there have been some very sensible discussions which have taken place in the last 10 days, and there has been a thawing on both sides," McCarthy told Sky Sports News.
    "Carlos wants to be back and he wants to be playing football again. Roberto Mancini has more than opened the door for him and now it's a case of him getting his fitness back.
    "He wants to be back playing football, that's what he's best at doing. The couple of seasons before this year, which has obviously been fairly awful in terms of everything that's gone on post-Munich, he was the leading goalscorer for Manchester City.
    "He needs to be back and he needs to be pulling on the Manchester City shirt again and doing what he does best, which is scoring goals and helping the team.
    "He wants to help Manchester City to win the title. Roberto Mancini has opened the door now and, once Carlos is back in the country and once he gets his fitness back, he'll be an asset to Man City."

Roy Hodgson: 'We'll see what happens'

West Brom head coach Roy Hodgson insists he will not rush into making a decision on his future - and hinted that much will depend on the club securing their Barclays Premier League status.
    Hodgson is out of contract at The Hawthorns in the summer and is among the candidates for the vacant England manager's role, although Tottenham's Harry Redknapp appears to be the clear favourite to be named as Fabio Capello's successor.
    Regardless of what happens with the England job, Hodgson is adamant that he is only interested in working at the highest level in the future.
    When asked about his contract situation, Hodgson said: "I shall be 65 in the summer and I don't need to worry about those sort of things. We'll see what happens.
    "The one thing I do care about is working in the Barclays Premier League.
    "I'm not so certain that I want to come back to England - which has been fantastic since I came back four years ago - and just cling on to any job and work in any division.
    "Let's see how the next games pan out, and where we're going to go, and then maybe I'll sit down with the chairman and I'll discuss the future."
    West Brom gave their survival chances a huge boost with Sunday's 5-1 win over Black Country rivals Wolves at Molineux, and Hodgson added: "The situation is very clear and simple. The club have mentioned that they would like me to stay on and I've said that sounds good.
    "But we will wait and see what comes up and we will decide sometime in the future. There is no hurry."

Mick McCarthy: Sacked

Mick McCarthy has been sacked as manager of Wolves after five-and-a-half years in charge at Molineux.
    Club owner Steve Morgan has ended McCarthy's reign with Sunday's 5-1 home defeat to West Brom the final straw.
    Some fans vented their anger towards the directors box during the game and a couple of hundred demonstrated outside the ground long after the final whistle.
    Wolves released a statement which read: "Wolves have today announced that manager, Mick McCarthy, has left the club with immediate effect.
    "The Board took the difficult decision to terminate Mick's contract after a run of form which has seen Wolves pick up only 14 points in the last 22 League games, after a promising start to the season, culminating in yesterday's 5-1 defeat at home to West Bromwich Albion.
    "Terry Connor will take charge of team training in the interim until a new manager is appointed.
    "The Board would like to place on record their sincere thanks and appreciation to Mick McCarthy and he leaves with the very best wishes of everyone connected to the club."
    Chief executive Jez Moxey said later he believed Wolves would "almost certainly" have been relegated if McCarthy had remained in charge.
    Wolves have won just one of their last 11 top-flight games, leaving the third-bottom side facing a battle to avoid the drop.
    Moxey told Sky Sports News: "We did a lot of soul-searching overnight and the board convened by telephone to discuss the current predicament.
    "We felt with a two-week break before our next game at Newcastle, and the fact we've got 14 points from our last 22 matches, there was enough time with 13 games to go for us to try and retrieve the situation. We felt we had to make the change.
    "This has been done with a hugely heavy heart - Mick McCarthy has done a fantastic job for the past five-and-a-half years in an exemplary manner.
    "He got us promoted as champions, the first time we had won anything for over 20 years, retained our Premier League status for two years running and we're still in the Premier League.
    "But we felt the team was only going one way and we needed to act. We've got time to get in a new manager and arrest the decline.
    "We felt if we didn't do something we would almost certainly be relegated."
    Former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has already ruled himself out of the running to replace McCarthy, while former Charlton and West Ham manager Alan Curbishley admits he would be interested.
    Morgan, who is away on a half-term skiing holiday, has stayed supportive towards McCarthy during a difficult season but has decided a change is needed with 13 games to go.
    Wolves began the current campaign with seven points from the opening three games but since then there has been a gradual slide.
    Fans anger towards McCarthy boiled over when Wolves trailed 2-0 at home to Swansea in October although they recovered to draw the game 2-2.
    There has been a simmering undercurrent of anger despite Wolves managing to stay out of the bottom three until the home setback by Aston Villa in mid January.
    The win at QPR 10 days ago ended a run of 11 games without a win in all competitions.
    But it was only a temporary reprieve before Wolves were put to the sword by West Brom and suffered a fourth successive home setback to seal McCarthy's fate.
    McCarthy took charge of Wolves during the summer of 2006 and promised promotion to the top flight within three years which he delivered.
    Wolves missed out via the play-offs the following season, finished seventh 12 months later but went up as winners of the Championship in 2008-2009.
    Their first campaign back in the Premier League saw Wolves finish 15th and they ensured safety with two games to spare.
    But Wolves only clung onto their place amongst the elite at the end of last season thanks to Stephen Hunt's goal against Blackburn with three minutes to go on the final day.
    Mick McCarthy Factfile
    1959: Born Barnsley, February 7.
    1977: Made league debut for Barnsley and played in every game of their then Division Four campaign, scoring one goal.
    1983: Moved to Manchester City for 200,000 after 272 appearances and seven league goals for the Tykes. At the time it was the biggest transfer fee Barnsley had received.
    1984: Made Republic of Ireland debut in 0-0 Lansdowne Road draw with Poland in May.
    1987: City were relegated to Division Two and in May McCarthy joined Celtic after 140 league appearances and two goals for the Blues. Made Celtic debut against Hibernian on October 3 and helped the Hoops to the double, collecting Scottish League and Cup winners' medals.
    1989: Picked up second successive Scottish Cup winners' medal after 1-0 final win over Rangers.
    1989: Joined French club Lyon.
    1990: In March, returned to England and makes Millwall debut at Luton before completing a 500,000 move in May. Played in all Ireland's matches in final stages of World Cup as the Republic reached the quarter-finals before bowing out to hosts Italy.
    1991: Succeeded Bruce Rioch as Millwall player-manager in March and made last appearance for the club against Southend in final match of season. Played in 35 league games, scoring two goals, for the Lions.
    1992: In June, won last of 57 Republic caps in 2-0 victory over Portugal in Boston.
    1994: Steered Millwall to third place in Division One but missed out on promotion to the Premiership when beaten 2-0 on aggregate by Derby in play-off semi-final.
    1995: Engineered FA Cup victories over Premiership sides Arsenal and Chelsea before bowing out to QPR. Also beat Nottingham Forest to reach fifth round of Coca-Cola Cup before losing to Swindon. Revival in league form during second half of season boosted Millwall's Division One finishing position to 12th.
    1996: Took Millwall to top of Division One before slump in form saw them drop into mid-table. Appointed Jack Charlton's successor as Republic of Ireland manager on February 5.
    1997: November - Guided side to brink of qualifying for World Cup finals in France 98, but Republic are beaten 3-2 by Belgium in play-off.
    December 2 - Handed new contract to manage Republic until the European Championship finals in Belgium and Holland in 2000.
    2001: Ireland qualified for World Cup with Portugal, at the expense of Holland.
    2002: May - Ireland skipper Roy Keane sent home from Far East before World Cup starts, following blazing row with McCarthy after the Manchester United midfielder's criticism of Ireland's facilities.
    June 16 - After qualifying from Group E with Germany, Ireland's hopes of reaching the quarter-finals ended in a penalty shoot-out with Spain.
    June 17 - Agreed to stay on as manager of the Republic for a further two years, meaning he will remain in charge for the Euro 2004 qualifying campaign.
    October - Linked with the manager's job at Sunderland but Howard Wilkinson ultimately fills the vacancy.
    November 5 - Left his post as Republic of Ireland manager.
    2003: March 12 - Appointed Sunderland manager.
    May - Loses first nine Premiership games in charge as Sunderland are relegated from the top flight.
    2004: May 17 - Loses to Crystal Palace on penalties in the Championship play-off semi-final.
    2005: May - Promoted to Premiership as champions of the Coca-Cola Championship.
    2006: March 7 - Sacked as Sunderland manager.
    July 21 - Appointed manager of Wolves.
    2007: Took Wolves to the play-offs in his first season in charge but they lose in the semi-finals to local rivals West Brom.
    2009: Took Wolves to the Championship title.
    2012: February 13 - After two successful battles against relegation from the Premier League, McCarthy is sacked the day after a 5-1 defeat at home to derby rivals West Brom sees them drop into the bottom three.

Alan Curbishley: Eyeing Premier League return

Alan Curbishley admits he would be happy to discuss the vacant managerial post at Wolves were the club to make contact with him.
    The Premier League strugglers are in the market for a new boss after severing ties with Mick McCarthy on Monday morning.
    A 5-1 humbling by local rivals West Brom on Sunday proved to be the final straw, with the decision taken to implement a coaching overhaul.
    Curbishley is among those being mentioned as a possible contender for the post, with the former Charlton and West Ham manager boasting plenty of top-flight experience.
    He has been away from the dugout since leaving Upton Park in September 2008, but admits he is actively looking to get back into management at the highest level.
    Asked if he would be interested in speaking to Wolves owner Steve Morgan about the position, Curbishley told Sky Sports News HD: "If I get a phone call, then I'll speak to him. I have always said that I wanted to go back into the Premier League.
    "I have had opportunities to go back since I have been out of the game. The Premier League is for me, I think my record stands up. It's just that I have been out of the game for some time now."
    Whoever is handed the reins at Molineux will inherit a side currently down on its luck and occupying a standing inside the Premier League drop zone.
    "Looking at what's going on down at the bottom, it looks like it's three teams from five," said Curbishley when asked to give his take on the battle to avoid the drop.
    "Perhaps another club could get dragged into it, but it's three teams from five.
    "You need to put together two or three wins to jump out of it. Those wins might come in the last couple of games, so when that trapdoor closes you're out. That's what happened to Wolves last year, to survive on the last day, so it's not over.
    "But it's going to be tough because once you're down there, the players aren't playing with the confidence you would like them to have and the supporters haven't got the confidence. That's got to change."
    While open to the prospect of returning to management with Wolves, Curbishley believes McCarthy is unfortunate to find himself out of work after helping to return the club to English football's top table.
    He said: "I feel so disappointed for him because he took Wolves into the Premier League, kept them there for three seasons and now he's lost his job.
    "Because the prize is so great of staying in the Premier League, any manager that finds himself in the bottom three, four or five then comes under pressure. That's happened to Mick, not just because of yesterday's result, but because it's been a combination of results.
    "He'll look back at it and say he bought some players on deadline day - (Emmanuel) Frimpong's ended up going back to Arsenal injured and (Sebastien) Bassong got injured.
    "Luck has a bit to do with it, but the results over the last 10 games are probably more to do with Mick leaving than Sunday's result."

Dejection for Chelsea at Goodison on Saturday

Chelsea have confirmed Roman Abramovich met with Andre Villas-Boas and his players after the squad were hauled in on their day off following the club's defeat at Everton.
    The flight back from Saturday's 2-0 Barclays Premier League loss at Goodison Park saw manager Villas-Boas order his underperforming stars to turn up at the Blues' Cobham training headquarters on Sunday morning, where they were again greeted by Abramovich.
    The club's billionaire owner, who is far from happy with recent results, spoke to both Villas-Boas and the players, having already spent almost every day last week inspecting the current regime at close quarters.
    His presence, which has coincided with the Russian being available from a high-profile court case as well as a slump in Chelsea's results, has sparked speculation over Villas-Boas' future.
    But the Blues boss and the club have continued to maintain the Portuguese's position is not under threat and that Abramovich's active interest is perfectly normal.
    Indeed, almost two years ago, Chelsea went on to win the double when the Russian held a post-mortem into their Champions League defeat to Inter Milan.
    There is little chance of a repeat this season, with the Blues now 17 points behind league leaders Manchester City in fifth spot, although they are well-placed in the FA Cup and still in the Champions League.
    As well as progress in those competitions, a top-four league finish which would appear the minimum requirement for Villas-Boas, who has been cut more slack than any of his predecessors under Abramovich.
    The patience of the Russian, who has seemingly acknowledged the need to revamp an ageing squad, will be tested like never before if Chelsea do not qualify for next season's Champions League.
    Abramovich even sacked Luiz Felipe Scolari three years ago when he began to fear a top-four place would not be secured and the Blues are in a far worse position now than they were then.
    Villas-Boas admitted the performance at Everton was one of the poorest since he took charge last summer and goalkeeper Petr Cech agreed it was simply not good enough.
    He told Chelsea TV: "When you lose a game 2-0 and you are Chelsea Football Club playing for the Champions League and with big expectations, losing is not good enough and the performance was not good enough, that's why we lost.
    "We took so many passes side to side and we never really opened them up.
    "In the second half, we tried to play more direct but they were fighting well and kept organised, and 1-0 up so early became so much more difficult to break."

Aluko: Settled at Ibrox

Rangers winger Sone Aluko has played down uncertainty over his future after insisting he is happy with his progress at Ibrox.
    The former Aberdeen player arrived at Rangers in November after making a financial contribution to pay compensation to the Pittodrie club.
    He has scored three goals in his nine Premier League games to keep the Light Blues in the chase for the title.
    The 22-year-old has yet to agree an extension to his short-term stay with Rangers, but Aluko will wait and see how things develop.
    "I'm enjoying my football and everything will take care of itself," said Aluko. "The manager thinks I'm playing well and I'm happy with my form.
    "I'm happy here, I'm playing well and the team and coaching staff have taken to me. So I'm settled here. We'll see what happens."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast