Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 14-02-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 14-02-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 14-02-2012

Ryan Giggs: Won't rush retirement decision

GIGGS WON'T QUIT TOO SOON

Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs is determined not to make the same mistake as team-mate Paul Scholes by retiring too early.
    Scholes called time on his professional career last summer and settled into a coaching role with United's reserve team - only to return in January.
    Giggs considered retirement last season during a frustrating spell out of the team but has remained part of Sir Ferguson's squad throughout and could make his 900th appearance for the club in Thursday's Europa League clash with Ajax.
    And he told the Daily Telegraph: "When to retire is difficult. Do you quit too early or go that one too many games and let people see you on the slide? Retirement is just a decision that I have to take my time with because I feel different after each game.
    "He (Scholes) was missing it and it's no secret that me, (Gary Neville) and a few other people felt that he had finshed too early, but who where we to know?
    "We wanted him to carry on but he'd made his decision quite early and it was probably too early, which I think he accepts now. Who knows? Maybe he'll carry on next year."
    Giggs could be in contention for selection as one of Great Britain boss Stuart Pearce's over-age players for the London 2012 Olympics football tournament.
    He would have to clear it with the Football Association of Wales first, with the home nations aside from England having expressed opposition to a united team.
    "I haven't thought about the Olympics too much but nearer the time, I am obviously going to have to," Giggs said. "First of all, I have to get picked - there are a lot of players vying for 20-odd spots - (and then there) is another obstacle: will it affect Wales in the future?
    "If it does, then it will be an easy decision for me to make. If it comes to the time when the likes of myself, Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey are picked, it is something we will have to speak to the FAW about, but I hope (it doesn't become an issue)."
    Giggs attributes his longevity to the switch from his long-time left-wing role into the centre of midfield in recent years.
    "Moving in to central midfield has definitely helped me," he said. "I had a taste of what it was like on the wing against Liverpool on Saturday and it's just completely different because you are up and down all the time."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 14-02-2012

Eden Hazard: Spurs deal not agreed

HAZARD PONDERS SPURS SWITCH

Belgium and Lille midfielder Eden Hazard admits he could join Tottenham this summer but insists a deal has not been done.
    The 21-year-old is one of the hottest properties in Europe at the moment and is reported to have attracted the interest of the likes of Chelsea, Real Madrid and Arsenal.
    The midfielder appears to have his heart set on a move to the Barclays Premier League this summer and he concedes White Hart Lane may be his destination.
    Hazard denied reports he has already agreed terms with Tottenham, but he did tell Belgian TV station RTBF that a move to join Harry Redknapp's team is possible.
    He said: "Maybe it will be Tottenham. It is a great English club. I said that I would go to England and there is very good players (at Spurs)."
    "I have not yet signed. This is going to happen soon".
    The youngster, who plays predominantly on the wing, has not ruled out a move to the Primera Division, however.
    "Spain is perhaps more my style of game but (if I move there) it must be to either Barcelona or Real Madrid."
    Hazard made his Lille debut as a 16-year-old and has gone on to become one of the French club's most important players.
    Last season he became the youngest player to win the Ligue 1 player of the year award after helping Lille complete a domestic double and he made his international debut at the age of 17.

Uploads

Craig Whyte: 'Bad day for every Rangers fan'

WHYTE MAKES CASE FOR ADMINISTRATION

Rangers chairman Craig Whyte claims the financial case for the club going into administration is compelling, but he hesitated to make the initial move for months.
    On Monday Rangers lodged notice of their intention to go into administration at the Court of Session after Whyte realised they had no chance of winning their major tax dispute with Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.
    Whyte revealed Rangers face a potential 75million bill over payments paid into Employee Benefit Trusts, which began in 2001 and ended before Whyte assumed control from Sir David Murray in May last year.
    Whyte revealed there was a "slim possibility" of avoiding administration, with a final decision to be taken in about 10 working days.
    But he claimed the scenario - which comes with a 10-point penalty from the Scottish Premier League and would all but end Rangers' title bid - was preferable in a strictly business sense.
    "From my early days as chairman I saw that administration was a very real option to enable the club to address these challenges and make a fresh start," Whyte told the club's official website.
    "Frankly, the case for administration in pure financial terms was compelling but I was acutely aware that such a great institution as Rangers could not be viewed exclusively in financial and business terms.
    "It's a bad day for every Rangers fan; there is no getting away from that.
    "We have filed a notice of intention to go into administration and we will do that in the next couple of weeks unless a sensible arrangement can be made with HMRC.
    "We have been working very very hard to try to come up with an arrangement to avoid this and so far we have been rejected by HMRC.
    "It's a slim possibility that something could be resolved in the next two weeks but I think it's more likely that we will go into administration and come out of it a fitter and stronger business and be in a better position to move forward in football terms.
    "Any other business would have been in administration long before now and I know that there were discussions previously about putting the club into administration before I came on the scene.
    "In a clear business sense there was no alternative but to take this course of action but we are all Rangers fans and it's the last thing I wanted to do.
    "I have tried everything to avoid it but the level of the potential liabilities to HMRC is so high that it would be completely unmanageable if we allow that to come to a conclusion."

Uploads

Alan Curbishley: Linked with Wolves post

MORGAN: CURBISHLEY OF RIGHT CALIBRE

Wolves chairman Steve Morgan has started his search to find sacked manager Mick McCarthy's successor and admits Alan Curbishley possesses the kind of qualities he is looking for.
    Former Charlton and West Ham manager Curbishley has already intimated he would be interested in replacing McCarthy, who was sacked on Monday, if he receives the call from Morgan.
    But Press Association Sport understands former Sunderland boss Steve Bruce would also be interested, while ex-QPR manager Neil Warnock has also been linked with the role.
    Morgan, who returns from a skiing holiday on Wednesday, said: "Now that Mick is no longer with the club, we will be having conversations with people in the coming days.
    "We have to see who's available and who is the right fit for the club, somebody whose personality suits Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    "We don't know whether it's somebody who will run things until the end of the season or whether it's going to be a permanent position.
    "But we can't afford to hang around. We need to take some action in the next few days."
    When asked about Curbishley, Morgan told Sky Sports News: "He's got a great track record, he's been there and done it before, and he's exactly the calibre of person that we're looking for."
    Morgan admits he was not content with Wolves battling against relegation and decided to end McCarthy's reign after five-and-a-half years at the helm.
    He said: "Wolves has historically been one of the great clubs in English football. Hanging around the bottom few places and relegation is not what this club is about.
    "We need to pick ourselves up and be aiming up the league and hopefully that's what the new man will take us forward with.
    "We have ambitions and fighting relegation is not one of those ambitions."
    Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey concedes the accent will be on candidates with Premier League experience.
    He said: "This job is not a job for a novice. You keep an open mind but winning matches in the Premier League is the most difficult part of this whole scenario.
    "We have to have someone in we think will win games in the Premier League.
    "It's not like we have been cut adrift at the bottom. We're in there with four other clubs and we've got just over a third of a season to go."
    Moxey believes that a new voice in the dressing room may revive Wolves' fortunes.
    He said: "We're in a good position, we're a stable club, have players that are there, ready to go.
    "Perhaps they need [to hear] a different voice. It's nothing to do with Mick's ability. But some of these players have been here a long time."

Uploads

Harry Redknapp: Favourite for England job

DAWSON SINGS REDKNAPP PRAISES

Michael Dawson believes it is plain to see why Tottenham fans are so desperate for Harry Redknapp to snub the England job and remain at White Hart Lane.
    Redknapp is the overwhelming favourite to replace Fabio Capello as England boss after the Italian's shock resignation last week.
    Redknapp gave the perfect audition for the post on Saturday evening when his team crushed Newcastle with a 5-0 win that came amid a backdrop of emotional pleas from the Spurs fans begging the 64-year-old to stay.
    Dawson has watched from close quarters how the former Portsmouth boss has transformed the club from relegation candidates to title contenders within just over three years - and for that reason he understands why the club's supporters want their manager to stay put.
    "I think they realise what he has done since he came in," Dawson said.
    "We were in a bad situation, we were in a bad position in the league table, and the players - a lot of whom are here now - were playing below par.
    "He has lifted everyone, so of course the fans are going to be happy when we are putting on performances like we did on Saturday and when they see where we are in the league table."
    The Spurs boss was absent from training for most of the last two-and-a-half weeks while he was contesting two charges of tax evasion.
    He was cleared of the charges on Wednesday morning and then gave an impromptu press conference on the steps of Southwark Crown Court, where he described the ordeal as a "nightmare".
    Dawson revealed the squad watched Redknapp's emotional speech and admitted it was a relief to have their manager back.
    He added: "We saw the gaffer's press conference the other day and you could see it was a big [weight] off his shoulders.
    "It's nice to have him back in training. We haven't seen him for a little while."

Uploads

Ricki Herbert: New Zealand contract extension

NEW ZEALAND DEAL FOR HERBERT

Ricki Herbert has signed a new deal to remain as New Zealand's manager through to the end of their 2014 World Cup campaign.
    The announcement, made on www.nzfootball.co.nz, marks a second extension since the last World Cup for Herbert who has held the job since 2005.
    "We believe Ricki is the man to see us through the qualifiers and, if things go to plan, on to another Confederations Cup and World Cup," said New Zealand Football Chief Executive Grant McKavanagh.
    Herbert, whose side went through their group at the 2010 World Cup unbeaten, has taken charge of 45 matches.
    "Obviously the numbers are nice to reflect on - but at the end of your career," said Herbert.
    "We have a job to do. The focus is reaching Brazil twice and to do that we have to keep winning games on the longest qualification path we've had since 1982."

Uploads

Tevez: Claims Mancini swore at him in Munich

TEVEZ: MANCINI TREATED ME 'LIKE A DOG'

Carlos Tevez returns to England on Tuesday but has accused Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini of treating him "like a dog" in the incident which sparked the rift between club and player.
    The striker claimed Mancini was in a foul mood and swore at him as he sat on the bench during the Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich at the end of September.
    Tevez is to return to the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday and resume his career with City that has been placed on hold for the last three and a half months.
    Talking about the circumstances surrounding his refusal to warm up on September 27, the Argentina international said in a Fox Sports interview broadcast in translation on Sky Sports News: "I was kind of in a bad mood and when he brings on (Nigel) de Jong and takes off (Edin) Dzeko and we're losing 2-0 I thought it was a defensive substitution so I decided to sit back on the bench.
    "I had already warmed up for 10 minutes and he has this attitude that he wants to lose 2-0 instead of 4-0.
    "So I sat down and at the same time Dzeko comes off and is really angry and has a go at Mancini. He then sees the tunnel is closed so he has to sit down next to him and they start to have an argument.
    "Dzeko was speaking Bosnian and Mancini would swear at him in Italian so it was a real mess.
    "So I go and sit down and he doesn't see me because he's having this discussion. But then he turns around and sees me and you can imagine what happens.
    "He's in the middle of an argument so then he tells me to keep on warming up and treats me like a dog.
    "So when he spoke to me in that tone of voice, and I said 'No, I'm not going out'. So I was willing to play, but the coach was in such a foul mood because he had that argument with Dzeko.
    "He started on me as well, started swearing at me, that was him, because I was very calm. I was just sitting on the bench and you can see from the footage that I was calm and just talking with (Pablo) Zabaleta. Mancini said some horrible things to me."
    It appeared at one stage last month Tevez, who returned to Argentina after the row with City, would be shipped out as Inter Milan, AC Milan and Paris St Germain all showed an interest, but no move was forthcoming as he stayed at Eastlands.
    Mancini made it clear on Sunday, following a 1-0 win at Aston Villa that enabled his side to return to the top of the Barclays Premier League, he was still seeking an apology from Tevez.
    The player did adopt a conciliatory approach towards the City fans and claimed their angry reaction was understandable as they did not have the full facts.
    "I believe they were misinformed, they weren't told the facts," he said in the interview shown and translated on Sky Sports News.
    "So that when they were told I didn't want to play they naturally turned against me.
    "If a player doesn't want to play for the team that's paying his wages it's only natural for them to turn against that player.
    "And I couldn't understand what was going on. I swore like any player would. I gave everything to that club and when I saw them burning my shirt with my name on it or hurling insults at me it really hurt.
    "I gave everything to that club and what I love above all is to play football."
    Tevez's return to Manchester comes following negotiations between City's acting chief executive John MacBeath and Tevez's representative Kia Joorabchian.
    Speaking on Sky Sports News, Joorabchian claimed Tevez's thoughts about the incident in Munich gave a misleading impression of his current frame of mind and claimed the player was determined once again to prove himself an asset for City, if given the chance.
    To aid the situation, it is believed Tevez will drop his appeal to the Premier League against a six-week club fine, totalling around 1.2million.
    Joorabchian said: "He's saying he will get himself ready as the club have requested him to do, because the club have said Carlos coming back can only be an asset to them.
    "I've spoken to the club today, I've spoken to the club regularly on a daily basis and I think everyone agrees that from a football point of view Carlos can only be an asset.
    "Now him and Mancini have obviously managed to resolve issues. What he had explained in his interview is how he felt back then. I think that the club and Carlos are taking this in a very positive way.
    "He has a lot of repairs to do with the fans and he realises that and he has said that he's ready to apologise if he's done something wrong.
    "And he's said that he sincerely never felt that he was doing something wrong at the time, and he understands that his actions may not have implied that."
    Asked if Tevez will apologise to Mancini, Joorabchian said: "This is between Mancini and Carlos. I think one of the things that is important is that Mancini and Carlos resolve their issue, and I think they have pretty much resolved their issue, behind closed doors and I think what is important is that the football takes over."
    As far as Tevez's team-mates are concerned, they will be glad to see him again in their push for the title over the final 13 matches.
    "He is a good player and we'd welcome him back," said winger James Milner when asked by Press Association Sport as to his thoughts on the prospect of Tevez's return.
    "He showed how good he was last year (scoring 24 goals). He was fantastic for us.
    "What's gone on or what's happening is nothing really to do with the players, but if it gets sorted out, then great.
    "It means it's another top player for us to add to the ranks."
    Tevez claimed he would be ready to challenge for a place in the City side in two weeks.
    "In two weeks I play, I think," he said in the same interview.
    The striker revealed he was ready to apologise if the club deemed it necessary.
    "I do not think I was wrong, but if they (the club) think so I apologise. I am ready to return, to win and do the best for the club's shirt," he added.
    "Hopefully I can help City to be champions again. The most important thing for me is to return to get fit.
    "I always said that at 28 I would retire. Today I say, 'No, I have much more to give'."

Uploads

Rangers: Administrators appointed

RANGERS APPOINT ADMINISTRATORS

Rangers have appointed administrators Duff and Phelps after a court battle with Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs.
    Rangers were given an ultimatum to move into administration at the Court of Session in Edinburgh 24 hours after lodging notice of intent.
    The move will trigger an automatic 10-point deduction by the Scottish Premier League, all but handing the title to Celtic.
    Rangers appointed their preferred administrator after a court petition was lodged by HMRC to have one appointed for them.
    Rangers had been given until 3.30pm to make the appointment following legal debate and did so with around 45 minutes to spare.
    The court was told the administrators would be Duff & Phelps, who Rangers named as their preferred partners after lodging papers at the court yesterday signalling their intention to enter administration.
    Rangers said a final decision would be taken in 10 working days but their hand was forced by the tax authority.
    The Clydesdale Bank Premier League champions, who have fallen 14 points behind leaders Celtic as a result of the decision, are awaiting the verdict of a tax tribunal which owner Craig Whyte claims could cost them 75million.

Uploads

Gervinho: Doesn't want Van Persie to leave

GERVINHO WANTS RVP TO STAY

Arsenal forward Gervinho admits it is a dream to play alongside Robin van Persie and he does not want the Dutch ace to be sold.
    Van Persie is leading the race for the this season's Premier League Golden Boot after notching 22 top-flight goals already this term.
    This has led to speculation the Dutch hot-shot could be prised away by potential suitors - with Manchester City among the names linked with the Holland international.
    But Gervinho wants the 28-year-old, who joined the Gunners in 2004, to extend his stay at the club.
    He told France Football: "I don't want Robin van Persie to be sold. Arsenal is a team that needs great footballers and leaders on the pitch.
    "And Robin is a player that pushes his team-mates to work more and do more during a match.
    "It is a dream to play with him. He is the captain, the leader of the group, there is no doubt.
    "I could see it from my very first day at the club. I believe when our adversaries see Robin in the team, it is a huge psychological shock."

Uploads

Freddie Ljungberg: S-Pulse wasn't "right project" for him

LJUNGBERG LEAVES S-PULSE

Former Sweden and Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljungberg has left Shimizu S-Pulse by mutual consent after just six months at the Japanese J.League side.
    Ljungberg, 34, made the move to the Far East in September but admitted today that S-Pulse was "not the right project" for him.
    "I loved my time in Japan, and I am grateful to have had the chance to live in Japan and embrace the Japanese culture," Ljungberg said.
    "However, after a long thought-out process and discussions with my family, I felt... this was not the right project for me.
    "Different ambitions combined with not having the opportunity to participate in the Champions League 2012 edition were my main reasons to explore other options."
    Ljungberg, who has also had spells with West Ham, Celtic, Seattle Sounders and Chicago Fire since leaving Arsenal in 2007, parts ways with S-Pulse after just eight league appearances.
    "There were some differences in vision causing the mutual termination between S-Pulse and Fredrik Ljungberg," the club said in a statement.
    "S-Pulse would like to compete in the 2012 season with players and staff who share common vision and goals."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast