Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 18-02-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 18-02-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 18-02-2012

Van Persie: 'Will get more respect' if he moves

Robin van Persie has been encouraged to turn his back on Arsenal by AC Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
    The Gunners captain was helpless in the San Siro on Wednesday as his side were humbled 4-0 by Ibrahimovic's Milan, effectively ending their Champions League hopes for another year.
    Their chances of qualifying for the tournament again rest largely on the shoulders of the 28-goal Holland international, who has almost single-handedly kept Arsenal afloat this season.
    Sweden striker Ibrahimovic, though has told Van Persie that if he wants to win anything, he needs to leave London, just as Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas did last summer.

He told The Sun: "When you don't win anything for years, people understand why you leave like Cesc Fabregas.
    "Football is all about winning. If you don't win you want to go. I don't know Robin personally but I remember him from Holland and what a talent he was - now he is complete.
    "I don't know what he is thinking but I know what I would do.
    "I have made a lot of moves in my life - I take it as a challenge, an adventure.
    "And I have won eight titles in eight years with different clubs in different countries.

"But if you stay in one place all your life it is easy to play football.

"You are at home, you are in the comfort zone.
    "But if you move to five different places it is a real test. If you succeed that's when you become a real champion, that's when you get more respect."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 18-02-2012

Redknapp: Won't leave Spurs before end of season

Harry Redknapp has vowed to remain at Tottenham until the end of the season and claims the Football Association would be wrong to approach him, or anyone else in a job, to take over as England manager before the last game of the current campaign.
    Redknapp is the clear favourite to replace Fabio Capello after the Italian stepped down from his position as England manager last week.
    The Spurs boss has not hidden the fact that he would be happy to replace Capello, but he is also desperate to see out the rest of the season at Tottenham in the hope that he can deliver the club their first league title in 51 years.
    Redknapp has been peppered with questions about the England job since Capello resigned last week, but he has now appealed for the FA to wait until May before making their appointment.

The Premier League season ends on May 13, and Euro 2012 starts on June 8.
    "It would be easier for everybody (if the FA waited until the end of the season)," Redknapp said.
    "Whoever they go for, they will probably be in a job anyway so it's going to be difficult for them to walk out of their clubs at this stage of the year.
    "It wouldn't be fair, whatever happened or whoever was asked."
    Redknapp has climbed to the top of the queue for the position thanks to his excellent management of Tottenham.
    The 64-year-old took over three years ago when Tottenham were bottom of the Premier League, but they are now in a position to challenge for their first top-flight title since 1961.
    Redknapp's men trail league leaders Manchester City by seven points and the former Portsmouth boss would be loathe to leave the club now when he believes they are on the verge of something special.
    "I couldn't do anything or go anywhere now," he said.
    "This is where I am. I have to concentrate on Tottenham. If I didn't it wouldn't be right for the club.
    "We have had a great season, I wouldn't want the players to start thinking, 'What is he doing, is he going, is he staying?'.
    "I am here and I have to be until the end of the season, whatever happens.
    "I owe it to Tottenham to keep concentrating on the end of the season, because there is so much to play for."
    Redknapp has been in Dubai this week recovering after a draining 13-day trial which ended with him being cleared of two charges of tax evasion.
    While in the Emirate, Redknapp gave an interview to Abu Dhabi Sports in which he appeared to admit he would be willing to lead England during the European Championship while remaining in charge of Spurs.

He backtracked on that statement, citing Sir Alex Ferguson's bad experience of managing Scotland on a part-time basis at the 1986 World Cup following the death of Jock Stein.
    "If Sir Alex struggled, it has got to be tough, hasn't it?" Redknapp said.
    "Mind you, it was Scotland, so it is different! But if somebody takes it to the end of the Euros and it does not go well, where do you go then? Back to your club with your tail between your legs, I suppose.
    "It's a job that somebody has got to go in and do full time."
    Redknapp denies all the paper talk and clamour for him to take over as England boss has distracted either him or his squad.
    "The talk was going on all that day before the Newcastle game last weekend and they came out and played some fantastic football," said Redknapp, whose team face Stevenage in the FA Cup fifth round on Sunday.
    "It is not a distraction, not at all.
    "I have just been thinking about Stevenage all week."
    Redknapp expects a hard test against the npower League One club on Sunday afternoon.
    "It will be a tough game," he said.
    "They will be up for it, but we are a good team as well and if we play as we can we should win, but we know we will have to be at our best to do so."

Cousin: Rangers move blocked

Rangers manager Ally McCoist has suffered yet another blow after the Scottish Premier League rejected their attempt to sign striker Daniel Cousin.
    Rangers announced a deal had been done to sign free agent Cousin on Monday subject to international clearance, but they went into administration 24 hours later, triggering restrictions on registering players with the SPL.
    McCoist said he hoped to play Cousin against Kilmarnock on Saturday but his plan was dashed by an SPL decision on Friday evening.
    A statement read: "The SPL was at 3.26pm today presented with a contract between Daniel Cousin and Rangers FC dated 17 February 2012, signed by the player and by Paul Clark, the joint administrator of The Rangers Football Club plc (in Administration).
    "In terms of SPL rule A6.20, the consent of the board of the SPL was required for the registration of the player with the SPL. The board of the SPL declined to give that consent.

"Accordingly the player is not registered with the SPL and is not eligible to play in SPL matches.
    "Rangers FC have the right to appeal this decision to the judicial panel of the Scottish FA."
    The Rangers manager said earlier: "Daniel Cousin is shellshocked at the moment, like the rest of us.
    "At this moment in time he is in the squad for tomorrow and still has an opportunity of getting the signing through. I'm still very hopeful we can get through the bits of red tape.
    "The players still want Daniel to come, we still want Daniel to come and the support want Daniel to come. Most importantly, Daniel still wants to be involved here."

The relevant section of the SPL rules reads: "A club that has taken, suffered or has been subject to an insolvency event or events shall not be entitled or permitted to register any player with the League and the League shall not register such a player in terms of section D of the rules until such insolvency event or events shall no longer continue or subsist."

Neil Warnock: New Leeds manager

Neil Warnock has been appointed as the new manager of Leeds United.
    The former QPR boss has agreed a deal with the Elland Road club which will take him up to the end of the 2012/13 season.
    Warnock has previously taken both QPR and Sheffield United out of the Championship, something chairman Ken Bates will be hoping he can repeat with Leeds.
    Wanrock told the club's official website: "I feel I have one big challenge left in me and believe Leeds is a club that should be in the Premier League. I want to be the man who is able to deliver this for a set of fans who never cease to amaze me with their numbers and their loyalty.
    "Having met with Ken Bates it was an easy decision to take up the challenge and with his support, we share the same vision of getting Leeds United in the Premier League."
    Bates added: "We believe the appointment is arguably the most important we have made. The objective was to appoint a manager who had for a proven track record of getting teams promoted and in Neil we have a man whose record is second to none. We want to be in the Premier League and we will support (him) in the quest to get us there."
    Leeds are currently 11th in the table and sit six points outside the play-off zone. They entertain Doncaster on Saturday, a match for which caretaker-boss Neil Redfearn will remain in charge.
    Redfearn will return to his role with the club's academy next week.

Curbishley: Bookies' favourite to replace McCarthy

Wolves will continue interviewing candidates to replace sacked manager Mick McCarthy throughout the weekend.
    Club owner Steve Morgan and chief executive Jez Moxey spoke with bookmakers' favourite Alan Curbishley on Thursday and then met Steve Bruce on Friday.
    Ideally Morgan and Moxey would like McCarthy's successor in place in time for next Saturday's game at Newcastle, but Moxey knows how crucial it is to bring in the best possible replacement.
    He said: "Things are progressing. We are continuing to work to the timetable we indicated at the outset of this process and remain optimistic we will be able to fulfil those requirements.
    "Our intention has always been to have a new manager installed in time to take charge of the team for the Newcastle match and that remains the case.
    "But, I stress, we want the right candidate, not the quick candidate."
    It is unclear who else is also on the shortlist although the likes of Gordon Strachan, Neil Warnock and Walter Smith have been linked with the midlands club.
    But Curbishley remains the bookies' favourite to end his three-and-a-half-year exile from the game since managing West Ham.
    Midfielder Jamie O'Hara believes it is vital the entire Wolves squad give their full backing McCarthy's successor in the battle for Barclays Premier League survival.
    The former Tottenham player said: "We've got to move on as a club and a team and stick together and see what happens.
    "I am sure we will all find out what's happening with the new manager over the next few days.
    "Whoever comes in, we will all get behind him and give him 100 per cent and try and get out of trouble."
    O'Hara believes Wolves are one of five teams who will be scrapping to stay in the top flight over the next 13 games.
    He said: "There are five teams down there who maybe haven't had good seasons but I don't think our performances have been that bad.
    "There have been games like the West Brom one but, in others, we haven't had the rub of the green and things haven't happened for us.
    "It looks like it's going to be between the five teams at the bottom but I still think we can do it.
    "We need to pick up our home form which has been dire and, if we do that and carry on taking points away from home, we can stay in the league."

Otto Rehhagel: Linked with Hertha post

Otto Rehhagel is to make a return to the Bundesliga at the age of 73 to take over as coach of Hertha Berlin, according to reports in Germany.
    Both Bild newspaper and Sport Bild magazine claim negotiations with the former Greece manager, whose last job in Germany ended with Kaiserslautern 12 years ago, reached a successful conclusion on Thursday.
    Local radio station RBB says Rehhagel's appointment will be made official after Berlin's game with Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.
    He will then be officially unveiled as coach on Sunday, according to all three sources.
    "That is amazing," former Hertha coach Markus Babbel said about the rumours on Sky television. "I trained under him and I learned a great deal."
    Babbel was dismissed by Hertha in December when he announced that he would not be extending his contract beyond the end of the season.
    He was replaced by Michael Skibbe, but his reign ended last weekend after five straight defeats.
    Under-19s coach Rene Tretschok has been placed in charge for Saturday's fixture with Dortmund and Rehhagel should then take the reins from Sunday.
    Rehhagel won three Bundesliga titles, two in a 14-year spell in charge of Werder Bremen and one with Kaiserslautern, who he led to the title in their first season in the top flight following promotion from the second division.
    He also led Greece to glory at Euro 2004 before stepping down after failing to lead the country to Euro 2012.
    During his playing days, he spent three years in the capital, playing 78 games for the club.