Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 20-02-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 20-02-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 20-02-2012

Robbie Keane: Has enjoyed Villa stint

KEANE COULD MAKE RETURN

Robbie Keane says it is a case of 'watch this space' regarding his Premier League future, but has played down talk suggesting he could stay on at Aston Villa.
    The Republic of Ireland international linked up with Villa in January on a short-term loan deal.
    The LA Galaxy striker was keen to work on his fitness and sharpness during the MLS off-season and jumped at the chance of returning to England.

The former Tottenham and Liverpool striker has enjoyed a successful stint with Villa, sparking speculation that they will look to keep him for the remainder of the campaign.
    Keane admits he cannot rule out the possibility of striking a deal with a Premier League club before the season is out, but insists his priority at present is heading back to America and helping his current employers.
    "There's been talk about me staying on at Villa but, at the end of the day, Galaxy are my parent club and, first and foremost, I have to respect them," said the 31-year-old forward.
    "In March, they have some big games - there is the start of the new league season and they have a quarter-final in their Champions League.

"I've enjoyed my spell here at Villa. It's a great club but it was my choice to go to the States. I could have stayed in the Premier League for a few more years but I didn't.
    "When I go back to LA, it could be completely different. At this moment in time I can't tell what will happen. It's a case of watch this space.
    "But people have seen over the years with the clubs I've been at, how quickly I leave if I don't think I fit in.
    "Once I get something in my head I make a decision fairly quickly and stick to it."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 20-02-2012

Niall Quinn: Has left the Stadium of Light

NIALL QUINN LEAVES SUNDERLAND

Former Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has left the club with immediate effect.
    Quinn stepped down as chairman last October to be replaced by Ellis Short and had been working in an international development role in trying to raise the club's profile abroad.
    The 45-year-old headed the Drumaville Consortium in June 2006 to buy Sunderland with the former Sunderland striker then becoming chairman.
    Quinn, who retired from playing in 2003 at the Stadium of Light, believes he has left the club in good hands under Short and manager Martin O'Neill as he plans to return to his native Republic of Ireland to explore other business opportunities away from football.
    "I've had the most amazing six years and it gives me a huge sense of pride to see where Sunderland is today," Quinn told the club's official website.
    "Sunderland is in an incredibly fortunate position to have a hugely talented team of people leading the football club right now.
    "There is a tremendous amount of energy about the place and the Board and the executive management team are a dynamic and committed group, who hold the best interests of the club at the core of all they do.
    "Everything is in place for Sunderland to really make a statement, which was always my aim.
    "From a football perspective, securing the services of Martin O'Neill has been an absolute highlight.

"In Martin we have a man that understands the region, the club and the unique place it holds in the lives of its supporters and I am confident that he will harness the immense passion that exists here and take us to new heights.
    "As for the great Sunderland fans, I would like to thank them for the trust they placed in me."
    Chairman Short paid tribute to Quinn and has vowed to carry on the work done by the Irishman on Wearside.
    He said: "Niall Quinn is and always will be a Sunderland legend. His vision brought me into the club and that vision still inspires what we do.
    "He has been a trusted friend and advisor to me throughout our time together at Sunderland and whilst I'm sad about his departure, I respect his view that his 'work is done'. My job is to carry on that work.

"He has been a wonderful servant to Sunderland and his determination to see the club grow has been inspirational."
    O'Neill also praised Quinn's impact at Sunderland and admitted he played a big part in his decision to move to the Stadium of Light.
    "Niall has been a truly iconic figure at Sunderland, both as a player and in his time leading the club from the top," noted O'Neill.
    "His vision and drive, alongside that of Ellis, played a significant part in me coming here.
    "Like everyone, I couldn't be more disappointed that he has decided to step down but of course I respect and understand his decision.
    "He has been the heartbeat of the football club for so long and his legacy is immeasurable. To me he is 'Mr. Sunderland' - and always will be."

Uploads

Leandro Damiao: Claiming Spurs offer

DAMIAO CLAIMS SPURS INTEREST

Brazilian sensation Leandro Damiao has claimed that Tottenham have lodged an offer for him.
    Spurs have long been linked with the Internacional striker, who is widely tipped to move to Europe this summer.
    The 22-year-old, who has a hugely impressive goal-scoring record in Brazil with more than a goal every other game, has been linked with the likes of Barcelona, Manchester United and most recently Paris Saint Germain.

But Spurs have always held an interest and now, speaking to the French media, Damiao has insisted they have made an offer.

"I am not aware of anything for an offer from Paris SG. I have had no contact with PSG or Leonardo [sporting director]," he said in an interview with Telefoot.
    "For now, I think about my club and the Copa Libertadores. In July, if a proposal comes, it will be discussed.
    "All that I know is that Tottenham have made an offer."

Uploads

Bruce: Favourite for Wolves job

WOLVES LINE UP SECOND INTERVIEWS

Jez Moxey believes Wolves "are just about on schedule" to appoint sacked manager Mick McCarthy's successor in time for Saturday's clash at Newcastle.
    Chief executive Moxey confirmed that "second interviews" are to take place with certain candidates - and Steve Bruce is now a clear favourite with the bookmakers.
    He impressed when meeting Moxey and Wolves owner Steve Morgan on Friday.
    But early favourite Alan Curbishley appears to have slipped out of the running after holding talks with Moxey and Morgan on Thursday.
    Moxey said: "What I can say is that I think we are about halfway through the process and it is going well.

"We have seen some very good candidates and have got some more candidates to see and we've got second interviews.
    "So far I think we are just about on schedule to keep to what we said which was, if at all possible, that we'd like a new manager in before our away game to Newcastle United.
    "We can't be absolutely sure that will be the time frame but ideally that is what we want to do."
    Moxey, in an interview with Sky Sports News, added: "This job requires a certain type of manager and someone who is going to give us complete commitment and enthusiasm.
    "We would only ever appoint somebody who clearly demonstrated to us that they really want the job.
    "It's a big job and an exciting job and I think we'll find the right candidate.
    "I hope that our fans understand that this process is continuing and we are still confident in our position in terms of the timing and I am sure we will get a really good candidate."

Lee Clark has become available since being surprisingly sacked as Huddersfield manager.
    Moxey said: "We said this was not a job for a novice and I don't want to get drawn on individuals.
    "Lee Clark has clearly done a good job at Huddersfield and we are aware of his sudden availability. It is difficult, though, for us to speak of individuals.
    "We have given assurances to everyone to protect confidentiality that we would never break confidences."

Uploads

Martin Allen: Dismissed after Hartlepool defeat

NOTTS COUNTY SACK MARTIN ALLEN

Notts County have sacked manager Martin Allen following Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Hartlepool.
    County made the move despite today's defeat being their first in five npower League One games.
    A statement on the club's official website, nottscountyfc.co.uk, said: "Notts County wish to announce that Martin Allen has been relieved of his duties with immediate effect. A further statement will follow in due course."

Allen was appointed in April 2011 in controversial circumstances having only agreed to take the manager's job at Barnet the previous month. He steered Notts clear of relegation last season.
    The 46-year-old, who had won his previous two games prior to the defeat at Hartlepool, leaves Meadow Lane with the team in 12th place in the table.

Uploads

Sam Magri: On trial at Liverpool

REDS EYE POMPEY STARLET

Liverpool have taken Portsmouth defensive starlet Sam Magri on trial.
    The 17-year-old is an England youth international and played in last summer's Under-17 World Cup in Mexico.

He has been tipped to make his first-team breakthrough at Fratton Park this term, but he could now be set for a move to the North West.
    He is set to link-up with Liverpool on Monday and spend the week on Merseyside.
    Magri himself confirmed the news on Twitter, saying: "Just to put everything to bed. Its true in what everyone is saying involving me."

Uploads

Arsene Wenger: 'Still the solution', says Petit

WENGER GETS PETIT BACKING

Former Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Petit believes the current players have become disillusioned and lack mental strength, but insists parting company with manager Arsene Wenger would be the "biggest mistake" the club could make.
    The Gunners look set to finish this season trophyless for the seventh straight campaign after crashing out of the FA Cup at Sunderland on Saturday - three days after losing 4-0 at AC Milan in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.
    Petit, who formed a formidable partnership with Patrick Vieira in the early stages of Wenger's reign, is convinced his fellow Frenchman remains the right man to get the Gunners back on track.
    "I think that will be probably the biggest mistake at Arsenal," the 41-year-old told BBC Sport.

"If Arsene has to leave the club they need to find a big manager to settle down and that would be very difficult for the next manager.

"I think Arsene's still the solution. They need to change a few things in the transfer market, change a few things in their politics to bring a competitive team."
    Petit, who joined the north London club in 1997 and helped the team win the Premier League and FA Cup double in his first season, highlighted last season's Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham as a turning point and says the club need a change of tack in the transfer market to get more leaders on board.
    "I think it's mentally that the team is very weak," Petit said.

"I think Arsene Wenger and Arsenal did build many successes. Arsenal won many trophies.
    "They had experienced players with big characters and all of a sudden Arsene Wenger decided to change completely the team, decided to put confidence in young players and we have to admire that because I think with the new regulations I think financially Arsenal's politics in the transfer market have been right so far in terms of not making big speculation on players.
    "I was a big admirer of Arsenal's politics for five years. They were probably the best team after Barcelona in terms of football.
    "But unfortunately for them last season was the final cut, especially the Carling Cup final against Birmingham."
    He added: "They need more experienced players, more big characters in the team because the quality is there and they need some players to be the mentors in the team."

Uploads

Williams: New long-term deal at Middlesbrough

BORO CONFIRM WILLIAMS DEAL

Middlesbrough have confirmed that Australian ace Rhys Williams has signed a new four-and-half-year deal.
    The 23-year-old, who had 18 months left on his previous deal, has committed himself to the club until 2016.
    Williams, who can play in midfield or defence, has been attracting interest from a host of Premier League clubs in recent months, and Bolton had a bid for him rejected in January.

But Williams, who is a product of Boro's academy, has now decided to sign a fresh deal at The Riverside.
    "I've always said I wanted to stay," he said. "I'm happy here and that's the main thing. I'm settled and get on well with the manager and the lads.

"I've no reason to leave except for my dream of playing in the Premier League - and I want to get there with his club.
    "My fiancee has settled here, I know the town and have a lot of friends here. I couldn't be happier, to be honest."
    Boro boss Tony Mowbray was delighted that Williams had decided to sign a new deal.
    "Rhys is an important cog as we move forward trying to build a team to get us into the Premier League," he said.
    "This is an important statement from the club to try to tie down one of the players we feel we can move forward with."

Uploads

Robbie Neilson: Out of contract in the summer

NEILSON SET TO LEAVE UNITED

Robbie Neilson says he is likely to quit Dundee United when his contract expires at the end of the season.
    The 31-year-old defender moved to Tannadice in November after being released by Leicester and has made 13 appearances for Peter Houston's side.
    His family still live in England and Neilson told the Daily Record: "I will wait and see what happens in the summer.
    "But there are not many three or four-year deals going around with the situation in football at the moment.

"I have not spoken to the manager about staying but ideally I would like to go back down south.
    "It is not great living away from the family but I needed a chance to get back playing and I am glad I took it.
    "My wife would prefer to stay in England as she enjoys it there but I'd like to go abroad. She doesn't know that yet though!
    "I want to try something different in a foreign country. I'd also like to get into coaching at some point and it would be good experience to have played elsewhere.
    "I hope to play for three or four years more at the highest level but I would like to go somewhere sunny and warm."

Uploads

Claudio Ranieri: Claims backing

RANIERI CONFIDENT OF INTER BACKING

Inter Milan coach Claudio Ranieri feels he still has the full backing of club president Massimo Moratti and his players despite the team's dismal run of form.
    Friday's 3-0 loss to Bologna was Inter's third consecutive defeat and their fourth in five league games.
    "I've never felt detached from the club or president Moratti," Ranieri told www.inter.it. "In fact, I feel a bond with him, with (club sporting director) Marco Branca, and with all the staff.

"There is no division in the dressing room. We are all working like mad because when results are not good, you have to work doubly hard."
    Inter's five-match winless run in the league has seen them plummet to seventh place, 14 points behind Serie A leaders AC Milan.
    "We need to be honest, we are not having a good reason," Ranieri said. "When I arrived at Inter we won seven consecutive games before we lost our way.

"We need to rediscover the humility to return to do well."
    Ranieri hopes Wednesday's Champions League last-16 first leg tie at Marseille could mark a turning point for his struggling side.
    "We now face Marseille knowing that we can recover and end the season in the best possible way," he said. "We need to react against adversity.

"I've told my players that the real strength of a group is seen when all goes badly and we need to prove that we can deal with difficult times.
    "Deep down, football is nothing but a small metaphor of life."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast