'Lost' star Dominic Monaghan greenlighted by BBC America for nature show

Michelle Clancy ©RapidTVNews | 23-02-2012

Dominic Monaghan (Lord of the Rings, Lost) is bugging out. BBC America, Canadian network OLN and Channel 5 have greenlighted a new travel series follows the actor as he hunts for the "most dangerous and elusive insects known to man."
Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan will be produced by Cream Productions and Wildfire Television and is distributed internationally by ITV Studios Global Entertainment.
"I have been obsessed and interested in nature all my life," said Monaghan. "This show brings together years of excited preparation by finally creating a series that demonstrates my love for travel, animals, adventure and people."
The actor, known for his roles in fantastical stories, is a perfect guide to uncover "creatures typically only seen in fantasy or science fiction," backers said. "We are among the many fans of Dominic's work, and it is his genuine love and knowledge of these creatures and the production team's global ambition that inspired us to make this series an important part of our slate of new originals," said Perry Simon, general manager of channels at BBC Worldwide America.
In each episode, Monaghan takes the viewer along on an intimate, action-packed quest as he struggles to track down and get up close and personal with some of the planet's most rare and life-threatening insects.
"Whether he's on the hunt for a few million flesh-slicing army ants in the steamy rainforests of Ecuador, searching for a giant venomous centipede in the caves of Venezuela, or facing off with a deadly scorpion in the arid deserts of Namibia, each episode of Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan takes viewers on a heart-pumping adventure," the producers promised.
Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan is the latest commission to join BBC America's stable of all-new original programming, along with No Kitchen Required, which premieres on 3 April, Richard Hammond's Crash Course on 16 April and the scripted drama Copper debuting in summer 2012.