Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 24-02-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 24-02-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 24-02-2012

Redknapp: Maintains he hasn't been approached by the FA

Harry Redknapp maintains he has still not been approached over the vacant England manager's position.
    Redknapp is the overwhelming favourite to succeed Fabio Capello, who resigned following a disagreement with the Football Association over their decision to strip John Terry of the captaincy for a second time.
    Over two weeks have passed since the Italian walked out on his job, but the FA appear ready to wait until after next week's friendly against Holland before making a move for their man, whether that be Redknapp, or any of the other managers linked with the post.
    "No, I haven't been approached," Redknapp said on Friday.

Redknapp has insisted that he will not leave Spurs, who currently sit third in the Premier League, before the end of the season, but maintains he would find it hard to turn the job down full-time.
    England Under-21 and Olympic team manager Stuart Pearce will take charge of the national team for the Three Lions' friendly against Holland at Wembley on Wednesday and Redknapp is convinced that the former Manchester City boss will do a good job.
    "I am sure he will do well," Redknapp said.
    "I signed him as a player for West Ham and he was fantastic. I tried to sign him two years before but the chairman at West Ham at the time said 'he's too old Harry, he's finished'.
    "Then he went to Newcastle, didn't do so great, but I took him to West Ham two years later and he was absolutely fantastic. He was top class."

Redknapp's admiration for Pearce is perhaps a hint that he would be happy to include the former England left-back as part of his coaching staff should he succeed Capello.
    Pearce is yet to name his captain for the friendly against Holland, which was rescheduled following last year's London riots.
    Scott Parker is one of the bookmakers' favourites for the position and Redknapp thinks the Spurs midfielder would do a great job if given the armband.

"It's up to Stuart who he picks but Scotty would be a good captain," said Redknapp, who signed Parker from West Ham last summer.
    "There are a lot of good candidates there but Scott has captained the team here a couple of times here this year and he is a fantastic boy, a great professional. You couldn't get a better boy. He is a top-class person and a top-class player."
    Pearce has named a youthful squad for the game against the 2010 World Cup finalists, with the likes of Frank Lampard and Rio Ferdinand just two of the senior players to miss out.

Redknapp is a big fan of both players but understands who Pearce has opted against including them.
    "Stuart has brought a few young faces in and he wants to give them a chance to show what they can do," Redknapp said.
    "There was no Rio, no Frank, and quite a few senior ones he knows about were left out as well. He has obviously gone for a team where he wants to look a few players."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 24-02-2012

Connor: Given Wolves hot seat

Wolves chairman Steve Morgan insisted the club were right to sack Mick McCarthy after the appointment of his assistant Terry Connor as their new manager until the end of the season.
    Connor was named on Friday as the new boss at Molineux with 13 games left to preserve the club's Barclays Premier League status.
    A host of managers were linked with the role, including Steve Bruce, Alan Curbishley, Walter Smith and Brian McDermott, but the club have opted to promote from within.
    Morgan said: "This is a very important appointment and this is not one you can make on a knee-jerk response.
    "We have seen a number of people, nowhere near the amount of people that has been in the media.
    "We went through the process and narrowed it down and it became clear from the way the players were responding to Terry that he was the right man."
    He added: "Mick has done a fantastic job at this club. Each season that I've been here working with Mick, Mick has taken this club forward.
    "This season it was different. The decision we had to take after the West Brom game (a 5-1 defeat after which McCarthy was sacked) was: was it right to continue the way we were going or was it right to make a change?
    "Of course I'm convinced it was the right thing to do."
    Morgan reiterated his confidence in the club's recruitment process. He did not entertain criticism of how Wanderers have gone about finding McCarthy's successor, but gave a heavy hint that he was not as happy with the conduct of those outside the club.

"We've interviewed a number of candidates who were available and that's a normal process," he added.
    "We have never once broken the confidence of the people we've spoken to. Other people have unfortunately broken confidences.
    "I can't control what other people do, I can only behave professionally and handle things from our side.
    "I have nothing to be embarrassed about, this club has nothing to be embarrassed about.
    "One or two other people may have and may have leaked things."
    Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey echoed the owner's sentiments, suggesting the club had treated the appointment with the importance it deserved.
    "The process we've followed, despite what people may think, has been a really diligent, professional approach," he said.
    "Part of the problem with football is there's not enough due diligence done in appointing managers, which is why we have the merry-go-round.
    "We believe we have the best man for the job having assessed the market place as it is today."
    Connor, meanwhile, was delighted to be given the opportunity to prove himself.
    "I'm very, very proud," he said. "It's a privilege and a great honour to be asked to look after the team for the remainder of the season."

Terry Connor factfile:
    1962: Born November 9, in Leeds.
    1979: Signs for Leeds.
    1983: Joins Brighton, where he scored 51 goals in 156 league games.
    1986: November - Scores on his one and only appearance for England Under-21s, a 1-1 draw against Yugoslavia at Peterborough.
    1987: Moves to Portsmouth.
    1990: Joins Swansea.
    1991: Signs for Bristol City.
    1992: Returns to the Swans on loan.
    1993: Joins Yeovil, where he finishes his playing career a year later.
    1999: Appointed reserve team coach at Wolves after spells on the staff at Bristol Rovers and Bristol City.
    2007: Becomes first-team coach.
    2008: August - Named assistant manager to Mick McCarthy.
    2012: February 24 - Appointed manager of Wolves until the end of the season.

Andros Townsend: Loaned to Birmingham

Tottenham winger Andros Townsend has joined Birmingham on loan until the end of the season, the npower Championship side have announced.
    The 20-year-old scored on his Tottenham debut last season and went on to make a number of appearances in the club's domestic and European cup campaigns this term before joining Leeds on loan.

The England Under-19 international was due to spend the rest of the season at Elland Road, but he terminated the spell on Thursday after failing to settle at the Yorkshire club.
    Birmingham, who are currently third in the Championship, swooped quickly to snap up Townsend, announcing on their website on Friday they had tied up a deal that will keep the pacy youngster at the midlands club until the end of the season.

Christopher Samba: Linked with Anzhi switch

Blackburn are in talks with Anzhi Makhachkala over the possible transfer of wantaway defender Christopher Samba, it is understood.
    The 27-year-old made a transfer request in January but remained at Ewood Park after the winter window closed when a possible move to QPR or Tottenham failed to materialise.
    However, the transfer window in Russia does not close until later on Friday and it is understood Anzhi, who recently appointed Guus Hiddink as their coach, are in negotiations to add Samba to their growing list of stars.
    Assistant manager Eric Black on Friday morning suggested a deal was close to being completed although he would not confirm the identity of the club involved.
    "I think negotiations are ongoing at the moment," he said. "I don't really know the details and I'm not really in a position to comment further on that, but negotiations are ongoing."

Asked whether those negotiations were with Anzhi, Black added: "I'm not really aware to be honest.
    "I've only heard bits and pieces, but I know the manager is speaking as we speak and hopefully there will be an outcome soon."
    Anzhi have made a number of notable signings of late, funded by billionaire owner Suleyman Kerimov.
    Their squad already boasts Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o, Russia international Yuri Zhirkov and former Brazil defender Roberto Carlos, while they have also been linked with a number of other high-profile players.
    Should Samba, who has not played since the start of January, join their number, Black backed the rest of the Rovers squad to cope.
    "He hasn't played for a few weeks and our performances have been exceptional," said Black.
    "Obviously there was a blip at Arsenal, but again, you look at the performances against Newcastle, Fulham and QPR and the guys that have been in there have done exceptionally well."

Gordon Smith: To leave at the end of the month

Rangers' administrators have confirmed that chief operating officer Ali Russell and director of football Gordon Smith have agreed to leave the club.
    Both will remain with the Scottish champions until the end of the month at the request of the administrators.
    Decisions regarding staffing in all other departments will not be taken until next week.
    Former Rangers player Smith returned to Ibrox following Craig Whyte's takeover of the club last May.
    But he has revealed his frustration at being restricted in his attempts to carry out the role fully.
    Smith said: "It was a great thrill to be offered the director of football role at Rangers.
    "As a fan, it was a wonderful experience to play such a big part in our treble winning season of 77/78.
    "However, like my transfer in 1980, my leaving at this time comes as a tremendous wrench.
    "I admit that under the current circumstances it has not come as a major surprise to me.
    "I was brought in by Craig Whyte but because his control and reputation has been damaged by recent disclosures, I feel my own position has been undermined by association.
    "However, I would make the point that I was very frustrated in my job as I was unable to fulfil the job specification which was originally outlined for me.

"This was to control the major aspects of the football department outwith the first team operations.
    "These were to include recruitment, scouting, transfer negotiations and youth development.
    "I wasn't in control of any of these activities despite constantly making it clear to Craig Whyte that this was to be my remit.
    "I outlined my medium to long-term strategies for the club on numerous occasions to no avail.
    "There's no point in being a director of football unless you can control these areas so, in that respect, I'm totally comfortable with being made redundant at this time.
    "The main thing for me is that Rangers survives and continues to operate as a great football club and I offer my full support going forward to ensure this happens."
    Rangers were forced into administration last Tuesday, over an unpaid tax bill of 9million accrued during Whyte's tenure, with financial firm Duff and Phelps appointed to take control of the club.
    Paul Clark, joint administrator, said in a statement: "Since our appointment as administrators on February 14, it has been essential to review the cost structure of the club's operations and make every effort to achieve efficiencies to help improve the trading position.
    "As part of this programme, Ali Russell, the club's chief operating officer, and Gordon Smith, director of football, have agreed to leave the club.
    "Administrators met Ali and Gordon and during the meetings they expressed their deep disappointment regarding the position in which the club has been placed.

"There is nothing to suggest that either of them did anything but strive to act in the best interests of Rangers Football Club during their terms of office.
    "At our request, both agreed to stay on and assist the club until the end of this month and we are very grateful for their co-operation and willingness to do what they can during this difficult period for Rangers."
    Talks have been ongoing with manager Ally McCoist but his players will have to wait until next week to find out what cuts will be made to the squad.
    Clark added: "Meetings have also been held with Ally McCoist and we had discussions regarding the potential impact of the administration process on the football department and we will continue to consult fully with him.
    "It is clearly understood by all, including the players, that the football department costs will come under review as is the case with all departments within the business.
    "No decisions regarding staffing in any department have been taken at this point and will not be taken until next week."
    Russell said in a statement he hoped his departure would help save other jobs. He said: "It has been a great honour to have worked for Rangers Football Club.

"I only wish the circumstances could have been better.
    "I would like to offer special thanks to Ally McCoist and Gordon Smith who have been tremendous throughout all of this.
    "This is a difficult time for Rangers and I hope my departure will help others keep their jobs.
    "The most important thing in this whole saga is the club's future is secured and Rangers looks forward to better days.
    "I am sure that will happen and my support will always be there for the club."

Thomas Rogne: Is loving playing at Celtic

Celtic defender Thomas Rogne has begun talks over extending his stay at Parkhead.
    Rogne signed for Celtic two years ago and has another season left on his contract after this summer.
    But the Norwegian centre-back has already set his sights on prolonging his Celtic career beyond that.

The 21-year-old, who has made 37 appearances for the club, said: "There have been a few talks.
    "I'm very pleased to stay here and hopefully I'll stay here for a long time so we will see what happens.
    "I love this club, I love playing here."

David Goodwillie: Joined Blackburn last year

Blackburn have issued a statement to deny they have missed a payment due to Dundee United for striker David Goodwillie.
    Rovers confirmed they paid the instalment in full on Monday.
    A statement on the club's official website read: "Further to press speculation regarding the supposed non-payment of an instalment for the transfer of David Goodwillie from Dundee United, Blackburn Rovers Football Club would like to put the record straight.

"The club can confirm that it paid all the monies (in accordance with regulations) to the FA on Monday and we are surprised to find this story in the media today."
    Scotland international Goodwillie moved to Ewood Park from the SPL club in August last year.

Ally McCoist: Shocked by Ticketus revelations

Rangers manager Ally McCoist has not yet been asked by the club's administrators to draw up a list of players to be axed and admits he would feel uneasy about being placed in such a position.
    Director of football Gordon Smith and chief operating officer Ali Russell last night became the first casualties of the administration process when it was confirmed the pair would leave the club at the end of the month.
    McCoist says his reaction to the news was "extreme disappointment" but he is still waiting to learn whether cuts will extend to his playing squad, with administrator Paul Clark saying decisions regarding staffing in all other departments would not be taken until next week.
    McCoist confirmed he has not yet been told to compile a list of potential departures.

He said: "I haven't been asked to do that. Morally, it would be completely wrong of me to do that, to start naming names of people who should leave the club. I would be very uneasy with that."
    On the prospect of avoiding cuts to his squad, he added: "That would be an ideal solution to the situation and one that would be of paramount importance to myself.
    "I'm having ongoing discussions and communication with Paul Clark.
    "We are in dialogue but he has the whole broader picture to look at in terms of the football club.
    "To be fair, Paul has been very honest and very up-front but he can't tell me specifically when there's going to be a date and I fully appreciate and understand that.

"What he has said is that I will be informed as soon as possible. As soon as he feels it is right to tell me, he will tell me."
    Reports suggested McCoist and his players may be willing to take a cut in their own wages in a bid to save other jobs at the club.
    He said: "It hasn't been discussed as yet. I wouldn't rule it out, I would say it's a possibility.
    "But until we are actually faced with something concrete, then we would have to adapt and react to that in any positive way we could. We've got nothing to react to yet."
    While hopful of retaining his personnel, McCoist confirmed Rangers will not appeal the Scottish Premier League's decision to block the registration of Daniel Cousin.
    The striker's return to Ibrox was announced the day before the club went into administration last Tuesday but Rangers' current financial position meant the SPL refused to rubber-stamp the move.
    McCoist said: "It wasn't as straightforward as you would imagine because the deal was just about done for a number of reasons.
    "The biggest, most important thing here is people's jobs and I totally understand the moral issue involved in signing somebody if other people are losing their jobs.
    "It wasn't just as clear-cut as that but we have decided now not to pursue that signing."
    McCoist was "shocked but not surprised" by the news owner Craig Whyte had used some of the 24million from investment firm Ticketus - who bought rights to the club's future season ticket sales over several years - to complete his takeover last May by using the cash to pay the 18million debt owed to Lloyds Banking Group.
    Former manager Walter Smith has demanded answers over the hole that remains in the club's finances and McCoist - who replaced the veteran boss at the helm last summer - has asked the same question.
    He said: "I've asked it already. I've asked it in front of members of staff to some of the administrators who have done their best to answer the question."

On his opinion of Whyte now, he added: "Now is not the time for me to start making comments, other than, like every other Rangers supporter and every other member of staff, we all have a lot of questions that we would love to hear answered.
    "Hopefully in the fullness of time, that will be the case.
    "I haven't spoken to Craig since the last time I told you I hadn't spoken to him.
    "I've not had time to think about it. It's been non-stop, it's been 100 miles per hour here.
    "We've all got jobs to do. I think it's safe to say there are a lot more important things happening. It's not something I'm particularly worried or distressed about."
    Rangers director Dave King - the only survivor from the Sir David Murray era on the board - was at Ibrox on Wednesday and left the stadium in the same car as McCoist, sparking speculation of a potential takeover by the South Africa-based businessman.
    McCoist said: "I can clarify the situation. He was in conducting his own business and I just happened to bump into Dave when he was there.
    "It was not an arranged meeting and we just happened to walk out at the same time.
    "He is a very astute businessman who has been affiliated with the club for a long, long time. Any comment about his future would have to come from Dave."

Edy Reja: Handed in resignation

Lazio manager Edy Reja confirmed that he had handed in his resignation before his side's 1-0 defeat to Atletico Madrid that confirmed their elimination from the Europa League 4-1 on aggregate.
    Reja offered his resignation before travelling to Madrid but said he had done the right thing by leading the team and hopes a decision will be taken on Friday.
    He said: "I have taken my decision, now I will return to Rome and wait for the club's response.
    "I think I have behaved correctly, I came here to take part in a very important competition where my presence was needed and it has been an act of dignity because I love the club.
    "Tomorrow a clear decision will be made. There have to be consequences from the decision but nothing has yet been ruled out. We know the problems that we have but I want to thank the fans for all the support they have given me."

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone, meanwhile, was happy with the performances of Paulo Assuncao, Eduardo Salvio and Alvaro Dominguez after they were handed rare starts.
    But he denied their selection representing resting his major players ahead of the league encounter with Barcelona on Sunday.
    "Today we responded as a group and as a team," he said. "This was the most important factor in the match. We played a great game in Rome and today we had to play with concentration.
    "Salvio gives us more speed and directness. The team I chose was only thinking about what we needed in this match, it was the best team I could put out today."

The Argentine also admitted to not knowing too much about Atleti's next opponents in the Europa League, Besiktas, but insisted that ties against Turkish sides are always difficult.
    "They will be a difficult, strong and aggressive side, Turkish teams always are," he continued. "The tie will be very well balanced and we have to prepare in the best way possible to face a strong opponent."

Andrey Arshavin: Back at Zenit

Arsenal midfielder Andrey Arshavin has rejoined Zenit St Petersburg on loan until July, the Russian club announced on Friday night.
    The 30-year-old started his career at Zenit before moving to north London in early 2009 and they had claimed earlier this week they had been in talks with the player.
    Arshavin has been a bit-part player in north London this season, making most of his 27 appearances as a substitute and has fallen out of favour with Arsenal's fans.

The move may have come as a surprise to Gunners manager Arsene Wenger who had maintained earlier in the day he did not expect Arshavin to rejoin his former club before the Russia transfer window closed, while revealing he "will not stand in his way" should an 11th-hour agreement be reached.
    However, the Russian club said on their website: "Arshavin is back!"

They added: "FC Zenit welcomes the return of Andrey Arshavin to St Petersburg." The player himself said on Twitter: "It's done."
    Arshavin has made 98 league appearances, scoring 23 goals, and 133 appearances in total for the Gunners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast