Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 29-02-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 29-02-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 29-02-2012

Keith Andrews: Joined West Brom from Blackburn

ANDREWS WAITS ON WEST BROM TALKS

Keith Andrews is expecting to hold talks with West Brom over the coming months regarding a long-term deal at The Hawthorns.
    The Republic of Ireland international has made an immediate impression with West Brom since joining the club in January from Blackburn.
    He has scored in both of his appearances as the Baggies thrashed local rivals Wolves 5-1 on his debut before routing Sunderland 4-0 at home last weekend.

The 31-year-old's deal with Roy Hodgson's side runs until the end of the season and Andrews is enjoying his time with the club.
    "There's a real togetherness around this place," said Andrews in The Sun.
    "I'd love to stay here. I'm sure there'll be conversations over the next few months."
    Andrews is also relishing playing alongside James Morrison and Youssouf Mulumbu in the West Brom engine room.
    He added on the club's official website: "It's a joy to come in and play with the lads.

"The three in midfield has been working very well and, if anything, we look more attacking the way we are setting up at the moment.
    "Mozza scored on Saturday and myself, and we are getting forward at the right times. But at the same time we've got Youssouf mopping up behind us and one of us sitting a bit.
    "Mozza has been fantastic, he is a bundle of energy. I find it very easy to play with him."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 29-02-2012

Robin van Persie: Linked with Arsenal exit

ARTETA DOESN'T SEE RVP LEAVING

Mikel Arteta doesn't think that Robin van Persie will be tempted to leave Arsenal in the summer and says the Dutchman has not been distracted by talk of a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona.
    Reports in England and Spain have linked Van Persie with a move to the Bernabeu or the Nou Camp as he has yet to pen a new deal to keep him with the Gunners.
    The striker will not hold talks with the club about his future until the end of the season, but Arteta does not think supporters should be too concerned.
    Having become close friends since Arteta's switch to the Emirates Stadium, the Spaniard believes Van Persie is content where is.
    "I do not see Van Persie leaving Arsenal," Arteta told COM Radio.
    "He is completely unaffected by interest from Real Madrid and Barcelona and not thinking about his contract renewal either.
    "Now he is very calm and is not nervous about anything.

"I know he has said that in the summer he will consider things, talk it over and take the decision that he will take."
    Arteta arrived at Arsenal as Cesc Fabregas left to re-join Barcelona and he is insisting that he feels no pressure to fill the Catalan playmaker's boots, although he would still love to break into the Spain squad.
    "I do not want to be Cesc's substitute and I have no thoughts like that," he continued.
    "My dream and aim is to win a big trophy for the club and to play for Spain. I would have loved to have had the chance to play for Spain, but I have not yet and I hope that some day that will change."
    Barcelona could have relied on Arteta's skills had he chosen to stay and push for a place after rising through their youth ranks rather than leave to join Rangers in 2002.

"I have always wondered if I could have made it in the Barca first team. That is very difficult though and a limited option. To reach the team is not so tough, but staying there is," he added.
    "When I left I knew what I was doing. Pep (Guardiola) was still in the first team, Xavi hardly played and I know that it would be a long and difficult time waiting for a chance.
    "That is why I decided to take the decision to leave. I am very proud to have been at Barcelona though."

Uploads

Romain Amalfitan: Linked with Newcastle

AMALFITAN: NO NEWCASTLE DEAL

Reims midfielder Romain Amalfitano says reports claiming he has already agreed a summer switch to Newcastle are wide of the mark.
    The Magpies have been strongly linked with a move for the highly-rated 22-year-old.
    They are not the only club to have expressed an interest, though, and the battle to secure his signature is expected to intensify as the summer transfer window draws ever closer.

Amalfitano will drop into the free agent pool at the end of the season, making him even more of an attractive proposition to interested parties.
    He admits he would welcome the opportunity to try his luck in England, but has made it clear that no deal to take him to Newcastle has been put in place.

"I am a Reims player and I will be out of contract at the end of the season," said Amalfitano.
    "I want to finish this season strongly.
    "Newcastle are a fantastic club and to play for them would be a dream come true, but nothing is done as yet. Let's wait and see what happens."

Uploads

Robbie Keane: Loan spell over at Villa

KEANE: PLAYERS ARE BEHIND McLEISH

Robbie Keane insists his former Aston Villa team-mates are firmly behind under-fire manager Alex McLeish as he attempts to turn the club's season around.
    Keane's seven-game loan spell at Villa ended with Saturday's disappointing 0-0 draw at Wigan, which left the club 15th in the Barclays Premier League, albeit eight points clear of the drop zone.
    But for those who were unhappy with the former Birmingham manager's appointment in the first place, that is simply not good enough.
    However, Keane enjoyed his time working with the Scot and is convinced he will turn things around given time and the opportunity to bring in his own players.
    The 31-year-old Los Angeles Galaxy striker said: "I have really enjoyed working with him. He's a great manager.
    "I know at the moment it's not going as well as probably he would like, and the club certainly.

"But all you want in a manager when you work with someone is someone who is honest with you, and they don't come any more honest than him.
    "He is desperate for the team to do well. At this time he has been getting a little bit of flack from the fans, but that doesn't reflect on how good a manager is; the reason being that he has come from Birmingham, who are their rivals.
    "The only thing I could say is the players are 100 per cent behind him. They really enjoy working with him.
    "It's a transition period for Aston Villa and I am sure next season it will be completely different.
    "If he gets money to spend and can bring his own players in, I am sure you will see a different Aston Villa."
    Keane's return to the United States could hardly have come at a worse time for McLeish, who also lost England international Darren Bent to ankle ligament damage for up to three months at the weekend.

Uploads

David Silva: Not looking for Man City exit

DAVID SILVA PUZZLED BY REAL RUMOURS

David Silva has no interest in returning to Spain after admitting he could not understand reports that Real Madrid tried to cover up their failure to sign him by making accusations about his lifestyle.
    Real were heavily linked with a move for Silva in the summer of 2010 when it became apparent that his time with Valencia was drawing to a close, but instead of switching to the Bernabeu he joined Manchester City.
    Stories later surfaced in the Spanish media claiming Madrid did not sign him because of question marks over his 'problematic' lifestyle.
    Silva admits that such stories were baffling but has no regrets about his decision to come to England, having established himself as one of the Premier League's star performers.

"If Real Madrid didn't want to sign me I don't know why these rumours came out, with accusations being thrown around," said the 26-year-old.
    "My conscience is clear and I have always been professional.
    "That whole affair didn't anger me but it puzzled me greatly. There was an interest but then Real tried to cover it up with that.
    "But I am calm and very happy to have taken the decision I did.
    "Neither Barcelona nor Real made any move. It was City who made a move for me and that is why I am here. I went where I was wanted."
    Silva says he has no plans to go back to Spain as he looks to repay the faith shown in him by City manager Roberto Mancini.
    He added: "I was happy at Valencia but because of circumstances I had to leave.

"City put their faith in me more strongly than anyone else and I made the right decision.
    "Mancini has given me total confidence and that's very important for a player, while I am very happy that my team-mates are adapting to my game.
    "I am very happy in England, I have two years left on my contract and I want to see it out.
    "Right now I don't want to return home, I'm enjoying myself and the people have treated me marvellously - and I hope to enjoy it much more.
    "You enjoy football to the maximum here."
    City crashed out of this season's Champions League at the group stage but are challenging for the Premier League title and Silva believes they will be strong enough to compete for European glory in the next couple of years.
    He said: "Barcelona have won many titles and Madrid have had the same structure for a long time.
    "But we are getting there and if not next year then very soon, we will be fighting them for the Champions League."

Uploads

Harry Redknapp: Favourite for the England job

FA: NO MOVE FOR NEW ENGLAND BOSS

The Football Association insists that no approaches have been made to any potential candidates to become the next England coach.
    Fabio Capello's resignation earlier this month, following the decision to strip the captaincy from John Terry, has left the FA looking for a manager to lead England into Euro 2012 and beyond.
    Under-21 coach Stuart Pearce is in caretaker charge for Wednesday's friendly against the Netherlands and has expressed his interest in taking the team to the European Championship.
    Harry Redknapp is the overwhelming favourite to succeed Capello, but the Tottenham boss confirmed last week that he has yet to speak to anyone regarding the position.

FA chairman David Bernstein, general secretary Alex Horne, Club England managing director Adrian Bevington and director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking have been charged with the task of identifying Capello's replacement.
    Bevington has confirmed there have been internal discussions regarding the situation, however, he stressed no talks have been held with possible contenders for the role.
    "It is important to stress that, while there have been numerous conversations internally involving FA chairman David Bernstein, Alex Horne, Sir Trevor Brooking and myself, the board have mandated us to report back to them with a recommendation," Bevington told Sky Sports News.
    "We haven't, let's be clear, spoken to any external bodies about this, as far as any club or any individual, and no approaches or conversations have been made."

Redknapp has previously suggested that the FA should wait until the end of the Premier League season before making a decision regarding Capello's successor.
    Following the friendly with the Dutch at Wembley, England are not in action again for three months and Brooking is not concerned if the appointment is made closer to Euro 2012.
    Brooking said: "There's no need to rush into it because we have got a bit of time now before the end of the season.
    "Whoever takes them in the summer, the players are of such a quality that they could come in really late and gel them into a good unit so, as I say, let's see how we go."

Uploads

Sasa Papac: Worry at Rangers

PAPAC: RANGERS PLAYERS UNDER THREAT

Rangers defender Sasa Papac feels all the players are under threat of losing their jobs as administrators look to cut costs.
    And Papac admits his time at Ibrox is nearing an end even if he survives after an anticipated decision on staffing levels this week.
    The 32-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season and expects to leave whether it is immediately or in several months' time.
    The Bosnia defender said in the Scottish Sun: "We have to see what will be done by the administrators. They are the ones who have all the power and we must wait to see what happens.
    "Their job is to clear Rangers' financial debts, which means we could lose a lot of players.
    "The players are well paid - in fact they are paid too well for the situation Rangers finds itself in.

"Any one of the players could go now and I have no chance of getting another contract, at least not one at my existing level."
    An announcement on any possible jobs cuts is not expected on Wednesday and it remains unclear whether one will be made on Thursday.
    Like Papac, players such as Steven Davis, Allan McGregor, Ross Perry and Gregg Wylde are away on international duty.

Uploads

Ben Davies: Wait to feature for Derby

BEN DAVIES HAS DERBY FUTURE

Derby midfielder Ben Davies has been assured he still has a future at Pride Park by manager Nigel Clough.
    Davies has not started a game for nearly three months, but with the Rams having not won in six, Clough says the former Notts County schemer may be in line for a recall.
    "Ben has never ever been out of the picture, never," Clough told the Derby Telegraph.

"Whether he has been in the 16 or just outside the 16, and he is 17th man at the moment, he has been in the plans.
    "Can we bring Ben back in? We have talked about it. We are aware he lost a bit of confidence some weeks ago which ultimately led to him coming out of the team."

County face a tough trip to high-flying Birmingham this weekend looking to emulate the weekend victory of fierce rivals Nottingham Forest.
    But with the Rams' poor form, Clough knows Davies would need to slot in seamlessly - should he be picked.
    "In our current situation it is about whether he can come back in and rediscover that confidence given the run we are on," he added.

Uploads

Josh McQuoid: On loan at Burnley

HOWE WAITS TO MAKE McQUOID DECISION

Burnley boss Eddie Howe insists he will wait until later in the season before making any decision on whether to make Josh McQuoid's loan move a permanent arrangement.
    The Northern Ireland international moved to Turf Moor from Championship rivals Millwall in January on a three-month loan deal which is due to expire shortly before the end of the campaign.

Howe has been impressed with the impact made by the forward during his time with the Clarets, but claims he has not given any consideration to a possible summer swoop.
    The Burnley boss told the Lancashire Telegraph: "It's too early. He's still Millwall's player.
    "He's done really well and fitted in really well to the team and what we're trying to build. But as for beyond his loan spell, that's for another day."
    McQuoid is still to find the net after six outings for his new club, but earned the praise of Howe for his recent display in the 2-0 win over Barnsley, when only the goal-poaching instincts of Jay Rodriguez denied him a first strike.
    He added: "I thought Josh really did stand out in that game.

"He played a huge part in the first goal - it was going in and Jay Rod, like all good strikers, has made sure it was. Josh is a team player, he understands. Jay just got there on the line.
    "But I thought Josh performed really well. It was his best game for us, playing on the left he linked really well with the centre-forwards and I think his confidence has grown the longer he's been here.
    "He's now part of the team so we're really pleased for him."

Uploads

Jeffrey Schlupp (right): Staying at Leicester

SCHLUPP SIGNS NEW LEICESTER DEAL

Leicester have secured the future of Jeffrey Schlupp after the teenage striker signed a new contract to stay at the club until 2015.
    Schlupp is highly rated at the King Power Stadium and impressed during a loan spell at League One side Brentford towards the end of last season.

He marked his Leicester debut by scoring a hat-trick against Rotherham in the Carling Cup back in August, although the bulk of his Championship appearances have come as a substitute.
    The 19-year-old was linked with a move to Charlton Athletic in the January transfer window and has recently been sidelined by a knee injury.
    However, he marked his comeback with a goal for the reserves on Tuesday and Foxes boss Nigel Pearson is happy Schlupp has committed his future to the club.

"We're delighted to have extended Jeff's stay with the club," Pearson told the club's official website.
    "He is a promising young player with a lot of potential that we are all looking forward to working with over the next three years.
    "At just 19, he remains a player with a lot to learn in the game, but he has already shown a lot of quality and scope to improve, and I'm sure he will continue to progress as a Leicester City player."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast