Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 01-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 01-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 01-03-2012

Stuart Pearce: Interim England boss

PEARCE DOESN'T WANT FULL-TIME POSITION

Stuart Pearce insisted England will learn from their 3-2 defeat against a strong Holland team at Wembley.
    The interim England boss, however, confirmed that he was not the man to take charge on a full-time basis.
    Arjen Robben scored the winner for Holland in injury time after goals from Gary Cahill and Ashley Young had looked like earning England an unlikely draw after they conceded two goals in two second-half minutes from Robben and Klaas Jan Huntelaar.
    Pearce said: "It's disappointing for us but the exercise was to learn from it. They were up against an outstanding side who had probably their full team out for the start of the game.

"The Robbens and the [Robin] Van Persies of this world are outstanding footballers and the exercise of it will stand our young players in good stead."
    Holland fielded a starting line-up which included nine players who took part in the World Cup final in South Africa.
    Pearce said: "All we needed was a touch more belief that we could go and hurt an opposition of this ability a touch more. I think it is the missing ingredient that we need to find.
    "We had a few skirmishes around their goal. I would have liked to have seen that on a more regular basis possibly."
    Pearce confirmed, however, that he would not take the England job full time although he would be prepared to take charge for Euro 2012.
    "I'm used to being around squads," said Pearce. "The attitude of the players to me has been first class, focused and they have had a go in the game for me.

"I can't ask for any more.
    "You can never guarantee any results and if we had come away from here 2-2 there might have been a better feel but it won't affect my mentality in any way.
    "I feel I would be confident in taking the squad to the Euros because of the experience I have got as an international player and manager.
    "That wouldn't be daunting to me. I don't think after that period I have the experience for this job.

"I really enjoyed this week. I would enjoy the summer if that opportunity was there. All I'm doing is buying the Football Association some time if they've not got someone in place.
    "The full-time manager of England is somebody else at this moment in time. It certainly isn't me."
    England defender Chris Smalling was taken to hospital, along with Dutchman Huntelaar, after they clashed heads as Huntelaar scored Holland's second goal.

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard was substituted in the first half as a precaution after feeling a tight hamstring while Arsenal's van Persie played the first half only.
    Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge also limped off with an injured toe.
    Meanwhile Sunderland striker Fraizer Campbell, who made his debut as a 79th-minute substitute, had an extra reason for celebration.
    He tweeted: "Delighted to earn my first international cap and the very same moment I became a dad to Isla rose campbell! £cloud9"

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 01-03-2012

Sir Trevor Brooking: 'Everything will be in place'

BROOKING HINTS AT LATE APPOINTMENT

England's new manager may not take up the position until a few days before Euro 2012, according to Sir Trevor Brooking.
    Caretaker boss Stuart Pearce oversaw a 3-2 friendly defeat by Holland in the first game since former manager Fabio Capello resigned.
    Pearce has made it clear he would be happy to stay in charge for the European Championship this summer.
    But, with Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp favourite for the position as Spurs battle for a Champions League place, it seems likely the Three Lions will not know who will be at the helm for some time.

Brooking, one of a group of Football Association officials in charge of making the appointment, does not envisage that being a problem though, because of the thorough preparations being made for the tournament.
    "Everything will be in place," he was quoted as saying in The Independent. "The backroom staff is very good. Whoever comes in will be really happy with that.
    "The issue is the timing, that is why we don't think we are in any rush.
    "I think you could get somebody parachuted in a few days before it, though I'm sure there are some people in our group who don't want that."
    Brooking added that discussions about the new man had been on the back burner ahead of last night's match.

"We've been concentrating on the Holland game," he said. "Now we'll sit down in the next few days and see what the timeframe is.
    "We will take our time. I don't see anything happening soon. We obviously want to be aware of all the sensitivities before taking it forward. There are sensitivities."

Uploads

Brad Guzan: Offered new Villa deal

VILLA TO OFFER GUZAN NEW DEAL

Aston Villa have offered a new contract to goalkeeper Brad Guzan but manager Alex McLeish understands the dilemma the United States international faces over his future.
    Guzan's current deal runs out at the end of the campaign and he has struggled to establish himself as first-choice keeper during his four years at Villa.

But he impressed McLeish during a run of seven Premier League games in December and January when the current number one, Shay Given, was sidelined through injury and that led to the new offer.
    McLeish said: "We will give Brad time. It depends on how long though. We have certainly made the offer and we respect that Brad needs time to mull it over.

"I understand the dilemma he is facing, yes, but at the same time it is not like he is second in command to Joe Hart who is only 24.
    "Shay is 35 now and, when Brad has come in, he has proved himself to be a Premier League keeper. Now we know he is Premier League class.
    "Brad probably realises that if Shay has a niggle or a problem, or we are going to do anything in the cup competitions, we are going to put him in."
    Villa have already opened talks with defender Carlos Cuellar over a new contract after his recent impressive form.

Uploads

Villas-Boas: 'Good coach', says Ancelotti

VILLAS-BOAS NEEDS TIME - ANCELOTTI

Paris St Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti believes his Chelsea successor Andre Villas-Boas needs to be given time to implement changes at the club.
    Speculation has been rife over the future of Villas-Boas during what is currently the Blues' worst season since billionaire owner Roman Abramovich took over in 2003.
    Ancelotti knows all too well about the pressure of the Stamford Bridge dugout after being sacked by the London club last May less than two years into his tenure.
    Villas-Boas has insisted he retains the backing of Abramovich, and Ancelotti reckons patience is required as the Portuguese attempts to follow club policy by introducing young players to the first team.

He told CNN: "I think that the problem at Chelsea was that they tried to change something, to have a younger team, to give more opportunity to the younger players, to play, to try to give less matches to the most important players - Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, John Terry.
    "But I think that this change needed time because it is very difficult to substitute players like Lampard, like Ashley Cole, like John Terry, because they are I think again the players in Chelsea.
    "Villas-Boas is a good coach, because he did a very good job at Porto. It's the philosophy of the club. They tried to change something. This change needed time."

Ancelotti's most pressing concern now, though, is PSG.
    The Ligue 1 club were linked with signing David Beckham from the Los Angeles Galaxy over the winter and were also in the running for Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez, but neither move came off.
    "The club tried to reach an agreement with Beckham, but I was not here," said Ancelotti, who took up the PSG reins two months ago.

"I was not involved in this thing, and I think they were very close; Beckham was told to come here, but at the end decided to stay in Los Angeles to play with Galaxy.
    "Tevez was a different thing, because Tevez's first choice was Milan, but he had a problem with Milan. The second choice was PSG, but we didn't find an agreement economical with him and we were not able to buy him for this reason."

Uploads

Gary Megson: Departed Hillsborough

GARY MEGSON LEAVES WEDNESDAY

Sheffield Wednesday have confirmed the departure of manager Gary Megson.
    The former Owls midfielder took charge in February 2011, but just over 12 months later he has left Hillsborough.
    Wednesday owner and chairman Milan Mandaric has made the move to remove Megson, despite a weekend win over city rivals Sheffield United.

Megson leaves the club in third place in League One, just two points off the automatic promotion places.
    Chairman Milan Mandaric said: "This was a very difficult decision but one that has been taken with the best interests of Sheffield Wednesday at heart.
    "We have 13 games to go of what is a critical season for our club and this decision has been taken because I believe we have a better chance of achieving our key aim of promotion by making the change.
    "I fully understand this may not be the most popular decision amongst our supporters but I ask them to trust me, as they have done so whole heartedly during the time I have been at the club.

"Whilst we won what was a huge game last Sunday, I have looked at results before that to reach the conclusion which I believe is the right one for now and the future of Sheffield Wednesday.
    "I take no decision lightly regarding this club and this one is no different.
    "One chapter is closed and another one begins. We must now look forward and I hope to appoint a new manager as soon as possible to help achieve success for this club."

Uploads

Mahamadou Diarra: Has joined Fulham

DIARRA RELISHING COTTAGERS CHANCE

New signing Mahamadou Diarra is excited by Fulham's ambition and is looking forward to proving his worth in west London.
    The 30-year-old former Real Madrid midfielder joined the Cottagers earlier this week, penning a deal until the end of the season with an option of extending it by a further year.
    Diarra, who once cost a reported £22million, has been without a club since leaving Monaco last summer and is hoping to resurrect his career in the Barclays Premier League.
    "It has been a great pleasure to be here with the team for about a week now," he told the club's website.
    "I loved my first week of training here. It went really well and everyone was smiling and welcomed me with open arms.
    "I really felt welcomed at my new club. There is a feeling that people are happy for me to be here and I am certainly happy to have signed for Fulham.
    "Fulham is open to players who like to play football, who give their best and who have a winning mentality.
    "The club is ambitious and that was made clear to me by the hierarchy here.

"By speaking to the manager it is also clear that he wants the team to progress and move in the right direction and this made me want to sign straight away."
    Diarra comes to the west London club boasting an impressive CV, having won league titles in both Spain and France.
    The Mali international began his senior career with Greek side OFI Crete, before moving to Holland to play for Vitesse Arnhem and then onto Lyon.
    Diarra won four successive Ligue 1 title while with Les Gones, before moving to Real Madrid for a reported £22million.
    He spent four-and-a-half years at the Bernabeu, where he collected two Primera Liga titles, one Copa del Rey and one Super Cup.
    Things did not go quite as well at Monaco as he failed to stop the principality club them from slipping out of Ligue 1, but Diarra is keen to prove he can still cut it at the top level.

"I consider the 12 remaining matches as 12 finals for me," he added.
    "It's up to me now to prove that I can do well and satisfy the team with good performances on the pitch.
    "I have seen the team play and I am aware of how the players play and I find myself amongst a good and talented group.
    "For me, this is going to be a big challenge and an enormous adventure."

Uploads

Lukas Podolski: Linked with Arsenal switch

PODOLSKI BACKED FOR ARSENAL MOVE

Former Germany international Oliver Bierhoff believes joining Arsenal would be a "great move" for Cologne striker Lukas Podolski.
    The 26-year-old marksman, who had a three-year spell with Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich, has been linked with a move to the Gunners.
    Podolski is contracted to Cologne until the summer of 2013 and Bierhoff believes the striker has now reached an age where he needs to think about the remainder of his career.
    Former Udinese, AC Milan and Monaco striker Bierhoff believes Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is one of the game's best managers and would take Podolski's game to a new level.

"Lukas' heart belongs to the city of Cologne, but he is reaching an age right now that leads him to think about the future of his career," Bierhoff told Cologne-based Express.
    "It would be a great move joining Arsenal for 'Poldi' (Lukas Podolski).
    "Arsene Wenger is an exceptional manager that could make Lukas a stronger and better player."

Uploads

Szabolcs Huszti: West Brom transfer target

AGENT: WEST BROM WANT HUSZTI

West Brom are still interested in signing Zenit St Petersburg winger Szabolcs Huszti, according to the player's agent.
    The Baggies looked at bringing the Hungarian to The Hawthorns in January but a deal failed to materialise, with manager Roy Hodgson citing concerns over his fitness as a stumbling block.
    The boss suggested West Brom could look at him again in the summer and the 28-year-old's agent, Vladan Filipovics, has confirmed that is the case.
    He told origo.hu: "We finished talks with West Brom officials in January by saying that we may talk again about Szabolcs Huszti in the summer transfer window."

Filipovics revealed last month that Huszti is looking to leave Zenit and claims he was close to joining Ligue 1 side Monaco in January.
    The player's agent insists he will not join another Russian club, adding: "I'm positive he won't change clubs in Russia because he's already a member of the best team so he wouldn't be able to take a step forward from Zenit."

Uploads

Javi Martinez: Linked with move to England

MARTINEZ: I'M NOT WORTH PRICE TAG

Athletic Bilbao star Javi Martinez believes he is not worth the reported €40million price tag on his head.
    Manchester City, Liverpool and Barcelona are all thought to be weighing up moves for the highly-rated midfielder in the summer.
    The Reds have held a long-term interest in the Spain international, while big-spending City are also thought to be keen to bring Martinez to England.

The 23-year-old is thought to have a release clause of €40million in his contract at Bilbao and he admits the price is too high for his services.
    "I do not think there's anyone who wants to pay so much for me," he told Mundo Deportivo. "I see it as too much money for me. I do not think I'm worth so much; I do not think that I'm worth €40m.
    "These things [the rumours] are always going on in the world of football.

"Although it is very nice to be talked about in the newspapers; it is a product of what you are doing and says you're doing things right.
    "I am very happy to talk about myself but now I'm very focused on what I have at the moment.
    "That is enough, so I will try not to give much attention to that [the speculation]."

Uploads

Jan Vertonghen: Linked with Tottenham

VERTONGHEN 'WOULD SUIT TOTTENHAM'

Jan Vertonghen's Ajax team-mate Toby Alderweireld believes the sought-after defender would prove a good fit at Tottenham.
    The Belgium international has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League when his contract expires in the summer, with Spurs thought to be frontrunners for his signature.

Manager Harry Redknapp watched the Ajax captain, a youth product in Amsterdam, in action against Manchester United in the Europa League last month.
    Vertonghen revealed earlier this week he is keen on joining an English side and branded Tottenham an "amazing club".
    His defensive partner and Belgium international team-mate Alderweireld feels he would be well-suited to Redknapp's team, who are currently third in the Premier League.

"Tottenham Hotspur are a good club for him," he told Voetbal International.
    "They compete at the top of a beautiful competition and he would also have a good chance of becoming a regular player.
    "For Jan those are more important considerations than just a big bag of money."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast