Sony takes majority holding in Silver River

Editor ©RapidTVNews | 01-03-2012

Hot on the heels of launching a dedicated film channel in the UK, Sony Pictures Television (SPT) has expanded its international production business by taking a majority stake in independent UK production company Silver River Productions.
Founded in 2005 Silver Rose develops content across a wide range of genres such as factual, features, arts, documentaries, entertainment, comedy and drama with a slate of primetime programmes including The Town That Never Retired (BBC1), Antiques Uncovered (BBC2), Off By Heart Shakespeare (BBC2), Sergeant On Spike (ITV1), Hidden Talent (Channel 4), Elizabeth Taylor – The Queen of Diamonds (Channel 4) and Restoration Women (BBC4).
Silver River Productions will now be SPT’s third UK production venture, joining Gogglebox Entertainment and Victory Television with SPT’s international production business now including wholly owned and joint venture production companies in Europe, Latin America, Asia, Middle East and the US.
Going forward, and bolstering the new film proposition, SPT’s distribution arm will represent Silver River programmes and formats internationally and will launch Silver River programmes and formats.

Announcing the deal, Daisy Goodwin, president of Silver River Productions, said: "Sony has a really alluring mix of great shows and real ambition. I know that working with [SPT] we will be bringing Silver River’s distinctive blend of originality and entertainment to the widest possible audience, and I am looking forward to bringing their best properties to the UK market."
SPT’s President International Production, Andrea Wong, said: “I've known and admired Daisy for several years and I'm so happy to now have the chance to work closely with her and with her team. Their proven ambition and achievements are the perfect fit for our production network, where creativity and talent are the essential drivers in everything we do. I'm thrilled to welcome Silver River to our international team.”
Goodwin will continue to lead Silver River Productions as president from its existing London office, and will now report to Wong.