Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 05-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 05-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 05-03-2012

Andre Villas-Boas: Parts company with Chelsea

CHELSEA SACK ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS

Andre Villas-Boas has been sacked as Chelsea manager after just eight months in the job, with Roberto Di Matteo set to act as interim boss for the rest of the season.
    The 34-year-old lost his job less than 24 hours after the Premier League defeat at West Brom, which left the Blues fifth in the table.
    Chelsea confirmed in a statement on the club website that they and the Portuguese had "parted company".
    Villas-Boas was only appointed in June 2011 and cost billionaire owner Roman Abramovich 13.3million from Porto.
    The club statement read: "Andre Villas-Boas has parted company with Chelsea Football Club today.
    "The board would like to record our gratitude for his work and express our disappointment that the relationship has ended so early.
    "Unfortunately the results and performances of the team have not been good enough and were showing no signs of improving at a key time in the season.

"The club is still competing in the latter stages of the UEFA Champions League and the FA Cup, as well as challenging for a top-four spot in the Premier League, and we aim to remain as competitive as possible on all fronts.
    "With that in mind, we felt our only option was to make a change at this time.
    "With immediate effect, Roberto Di Matteo has been appointed first-team coach on an interim basis until the end of the season."
    Di Matteo's appointment appears to end speculation that former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez would be parachuted into Stamford Bridge until the summer.
    Villas-Boas had been under mounting pressure after overseeing what was threatening to be Chelsea's worst season since Abramovich bought the club almost nine years ago.
    A run of just five wins from the last 16 games saw the Blues slide out of the top four, while they remain in real danger of crashing out of both the Champions League and FA Cup in the next week and a half.
    Brought in to revamp an ageing squad after winning an incredible quadruple at Porto last season, Villas-Boas' reign was dogged by reports of the kind of dressing-room unrest that previous Chelsea managers have said led to their own downfall.
    Abramovich, who reportedly hand-picked Villas-Boas last summer when Guus Hiddink had been the favourite to succeed Carlo Ancelotti, appeared prepared to be more patient with the 34-year-old than previous bosses.

The Russian seemingly recognised the difficulties in overhauling the squad and the playing style at Stamford Bridge.
    But, as when Luiz Felipe Scolari was sacked three years ago, it was fear of not qualifying for the Champions League that prompted Abramovich to act.
    Having repeatedly insisted he had the owner's full backing during the recent run, Villas-Boas appeared to acknowledge the writing may be on the wall recently.
    An interview with a Portuguese radio station saw him admit for the first time he could lose his job, a possibility he refused to shy away from after yesterday's defeat at the Hawthorns.
    He said: "Will this result increase pressure on me? You have to agree with it. We are in the same position, fifth, but we are now three points behind Arsenal.
    "It is a big, big disappointment. Every defeat Chelsea suffers piles more pressure on any manager."
    Villas-Boas insisted it would not help his position being given public backing from Abramovich.
    He said: "I don't think so. There is no need for the owner to back us after such a poor display."
    Villas-Boas, who on Friday insisted he would "never" quit Chelsea, added: "Am I the right man for the job? Yes. I wouldn't have taken it if I didn't think that."

Di Matteo's first game in charge will be Tuesday's FA Cup fifth-round replay at Birmingham.
    Winger Juan Mata was the first Chelsea player to react publicly to Villas-Boas' departure tonight, posting on his Facebook page: "It hasn't been an easy day for those who, like me, are part of Chelsea.
    "I would like to thank the manager and wish him luck.
    "We have to keep working hard and better days will come. Thanks for your support!"

Andre Villas-Boas Factfile
    1977: Born in Porto on October 17.
    1993: Invited to work as a trainee with FC Porto's youth-team coaches by manager Sir Bobby Robson.
    1994: Achieves UEFA C coaching licence in Scotland.
    2000: Takes charge of the British Virgin Islands for two international matches. Both end in defeat.
    2002: Becomes part of Jose Mourinho's backroom staff at Porto.
    2004: Follows Mourinho to Chelsea, where he works as an opposition scout.
    2008: Moves with Mourinho to Inter Milan.
    2009: Appointed manager of Academica in October, with the club bottom of the table and without a win. Villas-Boas guides them to an 11th-place finish and a Portuguese League Cup semi-final.
    2010: June 2 - Appointed manager of boyhood club Porto.
    August 7 - Wins Portuguese Supercup with 2-0 victory over Benfica.
    2011: April 3 - Leads Porto to their 25th league title, finishing with their biggest ever winning margin of 21 points.
    May 18 - Porto win the Europa League with a 1-0 triumph over fellow Portuguese side Braga.
    May 22 - Guides Porto to a trophy treble with a comprehensive 6-2 win over Vitoria de Guimaraes in Portuguese Cup final.
    June 21 - Porto confirm Villas-Boas has tendered his resignation and his contract will be terminated once his 15million euros release clause has been paid.
    Porto later announce they have received the required compensation, with Chelsea releasing a short statement confirming their interest in Villas-Boas and their intention to agree personal terms in the near future.
    June 22 - Appointed Chelsea manager on a three-year contract.
    June 30 - Wins first piece of silverware as Chelsea manager, taking the Barclays Asia Trophy.
    August 14 - Draws first match of the Premier League season 0-0 away at Stoke.
    September 18- Suffers first defeat of the season with a 3-1 loss to Manchester United at Old Trafford.
    December 6 - Chelsea win their final Champions League group game 3-0 against Valencia with Leverkusen's 1-1 draw with Genk meaning they qualify from their group.
    December 12 - Chelsea become first team to in 2011/2012 season to defeat Manchester City coming from behind with goals from Raul Meireles and a late penalty by Frank Lampard.
    February 21- Leaves Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard and Michael Essien out of the team as Chelsea fall to a 3-1 defeat in their first leg Champions League tie with Napoli. Chelsea now have a record of one win in the last 7 games and is under pressure at the club from fans and players alike with Ashley Cole in particular criticising his tactics.
    March 4 - Leaves Chelsea a day after a 1-0 defeat at West Brom.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 05-03-2012

Luiz Felipe Scolari: Does not envy next Chelsea coach

SCOLARI: AVB SUCCESSOR FACES 'HELL'

Former Chelsea coach Luiz Felipe Scolari insists it will be 'hell' for whoever succeeds Andre Villas-Boas at Stamford Bridge.
    The Brazilian suffered a similar fate to Villas-Boas, lasting just a month less during his reign at the club which came to an end in February 2009.
    Scolari admits he has sympathy for the young Portuguese tactician, firmly pointing the finger of blame at owner Roman Abramovich.
    "England has clubs like Arsenal, where Arsene Wenger has been for several years, yet has won only two or three championships," said Scolari, now in charge of Brazilian outfit Palmeiras, at a news conference.

"But Chelsea's culture is very different, but this move is strange - although it's not so strange to me because of what I went through there.
    "Some things are known, like the relations with the chairman, who has the relationship with some players before the coach.
    "Villas-Boas was a champion and he will continue to be. He needed to replace at least seven or eight players, even since I was there, but he failed.
    "It will be hell for whoever succeeds him."

Uploads

Brad Friedel: Happy with decision to join Spurs

FRIEDEL EXPLAINS LIVERPOOL SNUB

Brad Friedel admits he was tempted to rejoin Liverpool last summer, but feels he would have been signing for 'retirement' if he had returned to Anfield.
    The 40-year-old opted to leave Aston Villa at the end of last season and eventually plumped for a move to Tottenham, where he has continued to prove one of the most reliable keepers in the division as the Londoners enjoy their finest Premier League season to date.
    However, Friedel also had the option of signing for Liverpool for a second time after previously making 25 league appearances in three years for the Reds before leaving for Blackburn Rovers in 2000.

Friedel, though, did not want to be the back-up to Pepe Reina and is confident he made the right decision in moving to White Hart Lane.
    "I had four offers in the summer," Friedel told the Mail on Sunday. "I didn't choose the one with the highest financial reward, I chose what I thought was the best squad and the best opportunity."
    When asked if he was tempted to rejoin Liverpool, he replied: "Absolutely. Kenny (Dalglish) was very much above board, said that he could offer me the world, offer me a lot of things, but he couldn't offer me first-team football enough.
    "I had a tough decision but after I had met the (Tottenham) chairman, after I had met the gaffer, and you really see the squad and infrastructure at the club...it was clear that the ambition was to get bigger, better.

"You can never tell someone you're going to come in and play in every game because you have to keep your form going and we have a lot of good keepers at this club.
    "(But) I never signed a contract in my career to be a No 2. I felt that if I had chosen Liverpool, I was sort of signing (for) my retirement."

Uploads

Jonas Gutierrez: Understands Tevez's struggles

GUTIERREZ FEELS FOR TEVEZ

Newcastle star Jonas Gutierrez has embraced life in English football but he still has sympathy with Carlos Tevez's situation at Manchester City.
    Tevez's time in England has been blighted by talk of homesickness and a protracted conflict with City boss Roberto Mancini.
    But the 28-year-old Gutierrez believes it is no mystery why he has succeeded in adapting while his fellow Argentina international has struggled.
    "My brother is in Argentina but my sister is studying in Manchester and my parents are in Newcastle," Gutierrez told the Sun on Sunday.
    "They came to Spain with me when I was at Mallorca. It's not easy for your family when you leave South America so to have them with me in Spain and now here has been vital.
    "I always wanted to play in England but to live in Spain first was the way to go, to make that first step away. The difference between here and Argentina is too great to cope with.

"The weather, the language is all a shock. For Carlos, his family hasn't been around, he has children back in Argentina.
    "That is the problem for him. I text him now and then. He's a fantastic player. I can understand why he has had problems though.
    "At times it has been hard here for me like when we got relegated. But if you go down you have to stay and bring them back up.
    "My family love it here anyway. I can't speak Geordie though. It's impossible."
    Gutierrez is now so settled in Newcastle that he needs no reminding of the importance of Sunday's game at home to Sunderland.
    In fact, the winger revels in the occasion - especially as it tends to come without the violence he has experienced in South America.
    "I love the passion," he added. "The fans don't care if we play well or not. Three points is the aim.
    "It's the same for the players. We know we have to win. Simple as that.

"Everyone I see in the street, all they say is that we have to win this game. But we are confident, even if their new manager has come in and done very well.
    "In Argentina the derby I was involved with was Velez Sarsfield v San Lorenzo. It's not like River Plate v Boca but still one of the biggest derbies in Argentina.
    "If you lose angry fans will go down to the training ground to complain. Luckily that never happened to me because we got good results.
    "People die in South America at matches which just isn't right. The violence is wrong.
    "Fans in England love football the same but channel their passion in a different way."

Uploads

Villas-Boas: Lost his job at Chelsea

MANAGERS' CHIEF SLAMS CHELSEA

Chelsea are becoming an "embarrassment" to the Premier League after sacking Andre Villas-Boas just eight months into his reign, according to League Managers' Association chief executive Richard Bevan.
    Roman Abramovich is searching for his eighth manager since taking control of the club after opting to dispense with the services of the Portuguese.
    "What's for sure is the club, despite unlimited wealth, haven't yet worked out how to build a successful football club," Bevan told Radio Five Live.

"Looking for what is an eighth manager in nine years is a serious embarrassment to the owner, the club, the fans and the league."
    Assistant manager Roberto Di Matteo has been put in charge until the end of the season.
    Bevan added: "He (Villas-Boas) was very disappointed, frustrated, saddened, but his thoughts were for the club, the fans and indeed Roberto Di Matteo, wishing him well for the rest of the season. He's obviously a man who played six years or so for the club and has got good managerial experience with West Brom in the Premier League."

Bevan claimed the frequent managerial changes at Stamford Bridge did not help Villas-Boas develop a relationship with his players.
    "Players need to know that the manager's strategy and his job is not in question, there's a clear remit," he said. "You get success if you get time, and stability will come from that. Otherwise it's very difficult for a manager like Andre to impose his philosophy and build a team."
    Villas-Boas' side had won just three times in 12 league games and he had the lowest win percentage of any Chelsea manager since Glenn Hoddle.
    Bevan added: "That might be the case. After only eight months you can't build that sort of success. The club's still competing in the latter stages of the Champions League, the FA Cup and fighting for a top-four position. If you want success you must look at the longer term."
    (reopens) Luiz Felipe Scolari, who like Villas-Boas was sacked by Chelsea following reports of a dressing-room revolt, warned it would be "hell" for whoever Abramovich appointed next.

Scolari, now in charge of Brazilian outfit Palmeiras, told a news conference: "England has clubs like Arsenal, where Arsene Wenger has been for several years, yet has won only two or three championships.
    "Chelsea's culture is very different, but this move is strange - although it's not so strange to me because of what I went through there.
    "Some things are known, like the relations with the owner, who has the relationship with some players before the coach.
    "Villas-Boas was a champion and he will continue to be. He needed to replace at least seven or eight players, even since I was there, but he failed.
    "It will be hell for whoever succeeds him."

Uploads

Ferguson: Says Redknapp appointment is inevitable

SIR ALEX: HARRY APPOINTMENT 'INEVITABLE'

Sir Alex Ferguson believes it is "inevitable" Harry Redknapp will be the next England manager.
    The Tottenham boss is the overwhelming favourite to become Fabio Capello's permanent successor, with Stuart Pearce currently in caretaker charge.
    Ferguson claims the Football Association risk a public backlash if they do not appoint Redknapp.

"I think it's inevitable, Harry and England," Ferguson was quoted as saying by a number of national newspapers.
    "I really do. I know the FA are supposed to be drawing up a list, but I don't see anybody else who is being talked about getting it.
    "If they went for someone else they would have the public against them and they would be panicking. The drive and energy is all about Harry."

Uploads

Les Parry: Leaves Tranmere

MOORE FOR LES AT TRANMERE

Ronnie Moore has returned as Tranmere manager until the end of the season following Les Parry's departure earlier on Sunday.
    Parry presided over a winless run of 11 matches prior to his removal as boss and the club currently sit just a point above the npower League 1 relegation zone.

Moore, a former Rovers player, previously managed the club between 2006 and 2009 before leaving for Rotherham.
    He will take charge of Parry's backroom team of assistant manager Kevin Summerfield and first-team coach John McMahon until the end of the campaign.
    Chairman Peter Johnson said: "Parting company with Les was a very difficult decision to make but we have had to act in the best interests of the club.

"I'd like to thank Les for excellent service to the club over many years.
    "I am delighted to be able to bring a manager with the experience of Ronnie back to the club until the end of the season."
    Moore added: "It's great to be back, I can't wait to get started. It's nice to have the opportunity to keep the club in League 1.
    "I'm looking forward to being back at Prenton Park this week, meeting the players and hopefully starting things off with three points against Notts County on Tuesday night."

Uploads

Lukas Podolski: Quiet on Arsenal move

PODOLSKI TIGHT-LIPPED OVER ARSENAL LINK

Cologne striker Lukas Podolski refused to comment on a possible move to Arsenal this summer after earning his side a point in a 1-1 draw with Hoffenheim.
    The Germany striker still has more than a year left on his contract with Cologne, but has repeatedly expressed his disappointment at how his hometown club is being run and has been widely linked with a move to the Emirates Stadium at the end of the season.
    Cologne have not given up hope of convincing him to sign a new contract, and Podolski himself has not given anything away.
    "I will give all I have got to the very end," he told reporters at the Rhein-Neckar Arena. "We have 10 more very tough matches.

"Every game is a final for us. On Saturday we have an important game against Hertha (Berlin) and we need to win that game at all costs."
    When pressed on whether he would be leaving Cologne to join Arsenal in the summer, Podolski said he had "nothing to say" on the issue, asking only for the next question.
    Cologne director of sport Volker Finke was equally tight-lipped, telling the Bild newspaper: "We don't want to give any indication at all as to what stage we are at."
    But coach Stale Solbakken said Podolski would "give everything for Cologne in the last games" before adding "whether he moves or not."

Uploads

Asamoah Gyan: Qatari bid

QATARIS MAKE ASAMOAH GYAN BID

Sunderland have received a bid from a Qatari club for striker Asamoah Gyan, who is currently on a season-long loan deal in the United Arab Emirates with Al-Ain.
    Gyan will have two years of the contract he signed when he joined the Black Cats from Rennes during the summer of 2010 remaining at the end the current season, and his future could have a major bearing on manager Martin O'Neill's transfer plans.
    The club's identity has not been disclosed.

Uploads

El-Hadji Diouf: Could stay at the Keepmoat

DIOUF HINTS AT DONCASTER STAY

El-Hadji Diouf has admitted he would be happy to stay with Doncaster next season if they can avoid the drop out of the Championship.
    The Senegal international moved to the Keepmoat Stadium at the end of October after a nomadic and controversial career which has taken in stints with Liverpool, Bolton, Sunderland, Blackburn and Rangers.
    Diouf was on target for Dean Saunders' side in Saturday's 1-1 draw with play-off chasing Brighton, but Donny remain rooted to the foot of the table and five points adrift of safety.
    The Yorkshire club have 14 games to avoid a return to League One, with the 31-year-old Diouf not ruling out an extended stay in South Yorkshire should they still be in the second tier.
    He said: "Will I be here next season? It's definitely a possibility.

"First, let's stay up, then anything is possible. You never know.
    "I'm happy because I like playing football and we have a good gaffer who wants us to play with passion.
    "I love football. It's my life. It's all I know because I've never worked. As long as I'm on the pitch, I'm happy."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast