Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 06-03-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 06-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 06-03-2012

Di Matteo and Newton: Together again at Chelsea

Eddie Newton demanded "passion" from Chelsea's players after getting the shock call to join Roberto Di Matteo's backroom staff.
    Former Blues midfielder Newton revealed he was getting his children ready for school on Sunday night when caretaker manager Di Matteo offered him the chance to resume the working relationship they enjoyed at MK Dons and West Brom.
    Newton told Chelsea TV: "Robbie and I had a little chat. I congratulated him on getting the position. He said, 'I want you to come in', and I said, 'Okay'."

The man who spent almost a decade as a player at Stamford Bridge, scoring in the 1997 FA Cup final, added: "It has been very quick and quite emotional - everyone knows I love the club and am looking forward to giving my all."
    Di Matteo and Newton's first game in charge is Tuesday night's FA Cup fifth-round replay at Birmingham.
    The pair must motivate a squad who reportedly have no more affection for Di Matteo than for the sacked Andre Villas-Boas.

Newton said: "As soon as possible, I want to get stuck into the coaching, working individually with players, doing the whole shebang.
    "If anybody wants to talk to me, I am there and let's have a bit of passion going forwards."
    Di Matteo and Newton have just over two months to save Chelsea's season against a backdrop of what is already proving intense speculation about the identity of Villas-Boas' long-term successor.

Reports suggest a tentative approach has already been made to Pep Guardiola, while a second coming for Jose Mourinho is also said to be a possibility.
    Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez, reportedly sounded out prior to Villas-Boas' departure, last night gave a pretty good sales pitch while insisting a move to Stamford Bridge would not harm his relationship with Reds fans.
    Quoted in The Guardian, he said: "Can anybody argue [against the fact] that the Liverpool fans love me? No.
    "If we agree with this, what do you want for somebody who you love? The best for him. I cannot be waiting at home for five years. Everybody understands that I will need a job.

"If they want me to have the best, they can say you can manage a team at the bottom of the table or manage a team at the top of the table and try to win trophies. That is my idea, to have the option of a top side and try to win trophies. If they love me, they will understand.
    "I have had two or three offers from clubs and one from a national team. I want to win trophies; it's not just a case of wanting a job and having some money. It has to be something.
    "They have now Roberto Di Matteo in [temporary] charge, and I have to respect the manager in charge. I have to wait and [see] if something happens in the future. As a manager with experience in the Champions League, in Spain and in Italy, I am open to offers."
    Sven-Goran Eriksson, famously courted by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich when he was England manager, was not so coy despite being a rank outsider for the job

"I would take it, of course," he said, insisting he was not put off by Abramovich's ruthless reputation. "I know him as a very nice man, very quiet. I met him 10 or 15 times for a cup of tea. For me, his passion is great.
    "If he approached me, I would be pleased, but it's not going to happen."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 06-03-2012

Brendan Rodgers: Won't take Chelsea job

Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers has ruled himself out of the running to be the new Chelsea boss as he is looking to build his career and "not destroy it".
    The 39-year-old is seen as one of the brightest managerial talents in Britain, having led the Swans to promotion and an impressive start to life in the Premier League.
    Rodgers has also had spells as manager of Watford and Reading after some time on the coaching staff at Chelsea, who sacked manager Andre Villas-Boas on Sunday.
    The Northern Irishman worked under Jose Mourinho during his time with the west Londoners, although he insists he will not be leaving Swansea anytime soon.
    "It's sad to see Andre depart," Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post.

"The transition that is needed at the club is very much evident, and it's a job that requires sensitivity about where the club is at.
    "It's about understanding and respecting what the players have done there and also having that ruthless streak to manage the club.
    "I feel Andre tried to do those things but, for whatever reason, it just hasn't worked out.
    "For me the focus is on Swansea. I came here to do a job.
    "The story for us all so far has been fantastic and I hope that will continue.
    "If any of our fans are wondering about me and Chelsea, they need not panic.

"I am trying to build my career and not destroy it."
    Rodgers admits the Chelsea post is an attractive one and is intrigued as to how the vacancy will be filled.
    "There is so much going for Chelsea - it's a terrific club," he added.
    "But you can't continue doing what they do and have success. It does not work.
    "The next manager who goes in there will have the same problems and issues.
    "It's a big job and demanding job - that's how it is at the big clubs and that's why the salaries are so high.
    "It's certainly going to be interesting to see what route they go down now."

Terry Connor: In temporary charge

Jamie O'Hara believes Wolves interim boss Terry Connor will be "entitled" to the job on a full-time basis if he keeps the club in the Barclays Premier League.
    Connor was appointed as Mick McCarthy's replacement until the end of the season and began his temporary reign with a creditable 2-2 draw at Newcastle last weekend.
    O'Hara revealed he encouraged Connor to step forward as a candidate after the success of other assistants moving up the ladder such as Chris Hughton at Newcastle.
    The former Tottenham player, preparing for Sunday's game at Fulham, said: "To be honest, I think a few lads were thinking it wouldn't be that different to under Mick - but it has been completely different.
    "TC (Connor) has got his own ideas, has taken on the role of wanting to be a manager now.

"I don't think he was too sure about it at the start, but once he has taken over the team for a few weeks he has looked the part.
    "It has been really different, really good. Training has been amazing and the sharpness has gone to another level.
    "But it has also been good that TC was the go-between with the lads and the manager (McCarthy) and he has still got that relationship with the players.
    "You can talk to him about things. He is still trying to keep it where he doesn't want to be called boss."
    O'Hara believes Connor has the potential to do the job on a permanent basis.
    He said: "If TC keeps Wolves up, taking over when we were second from bottom, then you are entitled to the job.
    "But it's not just about results for a manager, it's the way players respect him and the way the club is run.
    "TC has got a big learning curve and will take time, but the way he has been the last three weeks shows he has got the potential to be a good manager."
    O'Hara admits he encouraged Connor to put himself available for the managerial role as Wolves endured a fruitless fortnight in their search for McCarthy's successor.

He said: "When the manager got the sack, I was saying to TC 'you are no different to Chris Hughton.' He is the same sort of character and I said 'why not give it a go'.
    "I worked with Chris Hughton a lot at Tottenham and he was assistant for 10 years and, when he became a manager, people were questioning it and asking if he has got that authority.
    "He has turned into one of the best up-and-coming managers in the league. He has done a fantastic job at Birmingham and did well at Newcastle.
    "It was the same with Josep Guardiola at Barcelona. He stepped up from being a player and then coach and look at the success they have enjoyed and the team that has been created."

Mehmed Bazdarevic: Sacked by Sochaux

Struggling Sochaux have sacked manager Mehmed Bazdarevic after less than a year in charge.
    The club confirmed the departure of Bazdarevic, who made more than 350 appearances for the club as a player, following a 14-game winless run in all competitions which has left them bottom of Ligue 1.
    Eric Hely has been installed as caretaker boss with a press conference set to be held later this morning.
    "FC Sochaux-Montbeliard, given the need to redress its position in Ligue 1, has decided to make a change at the head of its first team. As a result Mecha Bazdarevic is no longer the head coach of FCSM," a statement on the club's website read.
    "Starting this Tuesday, March 6, Eric Hely has been entrusted in interim charge."

Former reserve-team coach Hely takes over with Sochaux five points adrift of safety and without a win since their upset 2-1 success over Lyon in early November.
    Bazdarevic, whose last game in charge was the weekend's home 1-1 draw with Valenciennes, joined Sochaux in June last year to replace Francis Gillot, who steered the club into fifth place before joining Bordeaux.

Dave Whelan: Happy with Martinez

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has given his backing to Roberto Martinez in the wake of their home defeat to Swansea.
    Whelan was left fuming by Wigan's 2-0 defeat to Swansea at the weekend and held an inquest with Martinez on Monday to get to the bottom of the performance.
    Latics chief Whelan questioned Martinez's decision to leave star trio Hugo Rodallega, Victor Moses and Mohamed Diame on the bench against Swansea, but he has now accepted Martinez's explanation that all three players were jetlagged from returning from international duty.
    "We have had a very good meeting," Whelan said in The Sun.

"He told me that eight players had been away on international duty and that two of them never arrived back until after 7pm on Friday night.
    "I was not aware we had that many players away. I fully accept what he said and I back him fully.
    "Roberto was tearing his hair out as we had played so well for the three weeks before that.
    "He was really upset with the performance but Swansea didn't have any players away."
    Moses has also backed his manager's decision.
    "Obviously it's never nice when you're not playing, but it's the manager's decision and I was feeling tired after being away with Nigeria," he said.

"I'd done a lot of travelling in a short space of time and it's not an ideal way to prepare for a football match.
    "The fans probably don't realise that travelling so far for a game in midweek really does take it out of you, out of your legs especially.
    "A couple of the other lads were the same - only getting back on Friday evening - and when you're going out there with tired legs, that's when you're risking getting injuries - which obviously the gaffer is trying to prevent.
    "If you're away from the club between Monday and Friday it's also hard to be fully focused on the game with the preparation, so I understood the decision."

With 11 matches to save their Barclays Premier League future Moses believes the players will produce a response after another disappointment at the DW Stadium which left them rooted to the bottom of the table.
    "What happened last week was part and parcel of the game, but the gaffer knows what he's doing and we'll be aiming to bounce back at Norwich," he told the Wigan Evening Post.
    "We weren't on our game last weekend but it's happened now and it's up to us to bounce back and I'm sure we will."
    Captain Gary Caldwell admits the players let down themselves and fans with the weekend's performance but insists it will spur them on for the remainder of the season.

"There's going to be blows between now and the end of the season, it's all about how we react to the set-backs," he told
    "We have to take it on the chin and it has to make us stronger as a group and as individuals.
    "It has to give us the determination to improve and get better as the season comes to an end; we've done it in the past and I'm sure we can do it again.
    "We went through similar experiences last season and came out victorious at the end, so we have to draw on those memories again this time round."

Joachim Low: Wouldn't comment on Chelsea talk

Germany coach Joachim Low has refused to comment on speculation linking him with the vacancy at Chelsea.
    A report in a Swiss newspaper claimed Low had met with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich in a Geneva hotel to discuss the possibility of the 52-year-old replacing Andre Villas-Boas, who was sacked as manager on Sunday.
    The west London club denied any such meeting took place and Low, who is in Geneva fulfilling a commercial obligation with German Football Federation sponsors Mercedes-Benz, declined to discuss the issue on Tuesday.
    He said in remarks reported by German tabloid Bild: "I have a contract as national team coach until 2014.
    "The European Championships start in three months and everyone knows my goal.
    "I see no reason for me to comment on media speculation."

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp and his Swansea counterpart Brendan Rodgers have confirmed they would not be interested in succeeding Villas-Boas.
    The Portuguese has been replaced by Roberto Di Matteo until the end of the season while the club seek out a full-time replacement.
    Di Matteo named Eddie Newton as part of his short-term coaching set-up and the former Chelsea midfielder was delighted to have been handed the opportunity.
    "I have come back and hopefully I can help Chelsea get to the position where we all believe they should be," he told Chelsea TV.
    "Robbie told me just to help him as I have done before in previous years and we have a good working relationship and we are hoping that we can use that here.
    "We want the same thing but we go different ways about it and that is how it works very well.
    "It has been quite emotional coming back to Chelsea, as everyone knows I love the club, and I am looking forward to getting my teeth into everything."
    Defender Branislav Ivanovic has meanwhile issued a rallying call to his Chelsea team-mates as they look to overcome Birmingham tonight.
    Di Matteo's first game at the helm comes in the FA Cup fifth-round replay at St Andrew's and Ivanovic has called for a show of strength.
    "It's a difficult situation, a difficult moment for everybody, and now we have to be strong and obviously try to win the games to change our situation," he told the club's official website,

"There is not a lot more to say at the moment, it is only hard work on the pitch that can help us to win the games.
    "To win is the only thing for the Birmingham game.
    "This is all we can speak about, there are no excuses, nothing we can say, the only thing we can do is win this game, it will be difficult because we missed the chance at home and they are a tough opponent away, in the FA Cup, a difficult competition, but we need to be ready and win the game.
    "We need a big improvement but it's not time to speak about that, just to do a professional and proper job."
    He added: "Always after some changes the atmosphere is different and unusual, but in a couple of days it should be OK.
    "It is difficult to be positive but we have to be strong, it is what our job asks of us and we have to be professional.
    "This means winning the games, which we have not been doing."

Gregg Wylde: Reportedly leaving Rangers

Gregg Wylde arrived at Rangers' Murray Park training ground earlier amid reports the midfielder has become the first player to leave the club as part of the administration process.
    The 20-year-old, who has made 47 appearances for the club, is among five players who have reportedly agreed to leave the club without taking any redundancy package.
    "I wanted to help out the club by keeping people in a job," Wylde told STV.

Kyle Bartley left Rangers' training ground this afternoon saying talks over the players' futures remained ongoing.
    The on-loan Arsenal defender does not expect a final decision to be made on potential redundancies on Tuesday after further talks with the club's administrators.
    On Monday Duff and Phelps revealed in a statement that it had not been possible to reach a consensus where players could accept the necessary level of wage cuts to prevent job losses within the squad.
    The players asked the administrators to consider a final proposal overnight for discussion on Tuesday morning.
    Bartley said on Tuesday: "Talks are still ongoing but I've just decided to go home and come back tomorrow and see what happens.
    "No decisions have been made yet. We just have to wait and see."

Asked if he was expecting a final decision today, the centre half said: "I don't think so."
    Bartley was then asked what the mood was like inside Murray Park and replied: "Not great."
    Asked about the gesture made by his Wylde, Bartley told media waiting outside the Milngavie complex: "It's fantastic."
    The defender then told Sky Sports News: "All the players who will be taking wage cuts or leaving will be saving people's jobs.
    "I don't think anyone who is still at the club wants to leave but it is a situation where some may have to leave to benefit the club.
    "My parent club is Arsenal. It was said I'd go back if there were cuts but nothing has been decided yet. I am still a Rangers player for this season as it stands.
    "It is a shame that such a big club has come to such a crisis. It is a very sad time for Rangers."

Frederic Piquionne: Doncaster loan

Doncaster have secured the services of West Ham striker Frederic Piquionne on loan.
    The 33-year-old French forward has joined Rovers initially for a month but could stay longer if the move works out for both parties.
    Piquionne has made 21 first team appearances for the Hammers this season but recently lost his place in Sam Allardyce's starting line-up.
    The striker reportedly rejected offers to join Fulham and Sunderland in the January transfer window, but has now joined Doncaster's battle to avoid relegation from the npower Championship.

He told Rovers' official website: "I have been involved in scraps like this before at some of my previous clubs and I'm ready.
    "In my head I'm a warrior and I will fight to keep Doncaster in the Championship."

Hodgson: Linked with England job

West Brom skipper Chris Brunt has stressed the importance of Roy Hodgson remaining as head coach.
    Hodgson is the subject of media speculation linking him with the England job as a potential successor to Fabio Capello.
    The 64-year-old has revived Albion's fortunes since taking charge 14 months ago and Brunt knows how crucial he is to the progress made at the Hawthorns.
    The midfielder said: "Roy has done very well since he came here and has got the lads on board with what he wants to do.
    "You can see the desire the lads have to play for the manager. The results he's had in his time at the club have shown that.

"The lads want him to stay. Look at the job he has done since he came here. I'm sure he'd like to stay but you'll have to ask him.
    "There is no reason why we can't keep progressing but he is a major factor in that."
    Brunt believes the weekend victory over Chelsea was ample evidence of how far Albion have developed.
    He said: "The win over Chelsea shows how far we've come since I've been at the club. It shows the progression we've made as a club.
    "I think it was half expected after the previous results we had and it wasn't a lucky win. We were the better side for long spells.

Zak Whitbread: Eyeing Canaries stay

Zak Whitbread would love to extend his stay at Norwich beyond the season, as the merican centre-back aims to keep the Canaries in the Barclays Premier League.
    The Texan-born Liverpool Academy graduate has impressed at the heart of the Norwich rearguard, combining well alongside both Daniel Ayala and Elliott Ward as Paul Lambert's defensive options have been hit by injuries.
    Whitbread, 28, signed from Millwall in January 2010, but saw his own progress hampered by a series of fitness problems as the Canaries won a second successive promotion.
    Following some 14 appearances in the top flight as Norwich defied the pre-season predictions to sit comfortably in mid-table, Whitbread hopes to be given the chance to extend his stay in Norfolk when his current deal expires in the summer.
    "I have just been a bit disappointed I couldn't play a few more games than what I have, but it's a great club, a great set-up, going in the right direction," Whitbread said.

"I am just enjoying playing the games and if anything comes of it then that will be great.
    "There have been no talks and I am not really worried about it.
    "I am not focusing on it too much. I am just back from injury and I have just got to concentrate on playing."
    Whitbread, who was brought up in Runcorn, represented the United States Under20s team at the 2003 World Youth Championship, but despite one call-up to the senior squad for the friendlies against Argentina and Paraguay in March 2011, which he had to withdraw through injury, the centre-back has not yet been included for further international consideration.
    For now, though, Whitbread's focus is solely on helping the Canaries - who have 35 points and are 13 clear of the relegation zone with just 11 games to play - retain their Premier League status and bounce back from successive defeats to Manchester United and Stoke when Wigan come to Carrow Road on Sunday.
    "As a player, obviously you want to know you have got a future or a bit of stability, but football has changed," Whitbread told reporters.
    "You have got to get used to not having four or five-year contracts, and that at the end of the year anything could happen.
    "You have got to take it game by game.

"It's been stop-start over my time at Norwich, so for me I have just got to enjoy each game as it comes and make the most of the chances I get.
    "I am desperate to stay in this league and I have got to work really hard with the rest of the lads to try and achieve that."
    England under-21 defender Ryan Bennett was an unused substitute at Stoke, having recently joined up with his new club after being loaned back to former side Peterborough following his January transfer.
    The centre-half is relishing the challenges ahead. He said in the Eastern Daily Press: "I am 21 so there are a lot of players in and around my age here.
    "The lads have been brilliant to me already and I hope we can continue that on the training pitch and stick together and get the results we need."
    Midfielder Jonny Howson made his first start since signing from Leeds after recovery from a knee injury, completing 75 minutes against the Potters and is likely to be in contention again this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast