Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 07-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 07-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 07-03-2012

Luis Suarez: Wanted by Paris St Germain

PSG PLAN LUIS SUAREZ SWOOP

Paris St Germain owner Nasser Al-Khelaifi has outlined ambitious plans to take Luis Suarez and Gonzalo Higuain to the French capital.
    PSG's Qatari investors have already pumped substantial funding into the club in an effort to return them to the top of their domestic game and back into Europe's elite.
    A standing at the top of the Ligue 1 table has offered them an immediate return on their investment, but Al-Khelaifi has made it clear that this season's success is just the start.

He says the lavish spending at Parc des Princes will continue for 'five or six years' as PSG set about becoming a global powerhouse.
    Big-name signings will help them to edge towards that target and Al-Khelaifi has revealed that summer approaches for Liverpool striker Suarez and Real Madrid forward Higuain could be in the offing.
    "We are already looking at the market for next season," he said.

"We have clear targets in mind. It is true that we want Luis Suarez and Gonzalo Higuain.
    "Our real short-term targets are to win the Champions League and find a new Lionel Messi.
    "We will spend what is normal for a top-class club. We prefer to invest a lot and immediately.
    "In the next five or six years, we still spend this amount. Then the investments will slow."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 07-03-2012

Talks between players and administrators to continue

RANGERS FAIL TO REACH WAGE AGREEMENT

Another day of talks aimed at preventing redundancies among Rangers staff ended without conclusion on Tuesday night.
    Talks between administrators, players and their agents, manager Ally McCoist and PFA Scotland lasted from morning until late in the night but saw no final resolution.
    Administrators revealed that negotiations around personal details had stalled a package of wage cuts but they retain hope that a resolution can be reached on Wednesday.
    Joint-administrator David Whitehouse delivered a statement to waiting reporters at Murray Park just before 10.30pm on Tuesday night.
    Whitehouse said on Tuesday: "Today unfortunately has been a very frustrating day.

"Earlier in the day we believed that we had agreed in principle a basis of cost cutting measures with the players accepting substantial pay cuts.
    "We are very grateful for their efforts in reaching that point.
    "Sadly this evening we have been unable to reach agreement on the personal conditions sought by the advisors to the players in respect of those wage cuts.
    "There is still some hope that these issues can be solved first thing in the morning but it's extremely disappointing we haven't been able to get there tonight."
    Some players are set to leave the club - Swedish midfielder Mervan Celik is understood to have negotiated his release while Scotland Under-21 winger Gregg Wylde has offered to leave and his departure should be confirmed when final details are ironed out.
    But no wider agreement was struck over the make-up of 1million monthly savings.
    Administrators, who took control on February 14, had set Monday as a final deadline to reach a consensual agreement but they reconvened this morning to discuss another proposal from players.
    Talks are believed to centre on a series of wage reductions which would see top-earning players accept 75% cuts and lower-paid players losing 25-50% of their salaries.

Sources inside Murray Park revealed both parties were close to a deal in the early evening.
    However, issues such as the length of time players would receive reduced wage packets, sell-on clauses and summer transfers all contributed to a continuing stalemate.
    Several players were believed to be seeking assurances over such details, with some of the high earners among those locked in negotiations.
    Captain Steven Davis, Scotland full-back Steven Whittaker and forward Steven Naismith, who is undergoing rehabilitation from a serious knee injury, all left Murray Park after 9.30pm tonight.
    Goalkeeper Allan McGregor earlier moved to deny reports he had refused to accept wage cuts.
    McGregor is among the highest paid players and signed a six-year deal last summer.
    In a statement released to Press Association Sport, his solicitor Margaret Gribbon of Bridge Litigation said: "Contrary to some media reports Allan has not refused to accept a salary reduction.
    "These allegations are false and Allan has instructed me to make clear if these allegations are reported as fact he will have no option but to resort to legal action.

"Allan along with many of his fellow players is committed to making personal salary sacrifices to ensure the club survives.
    "Allan has and will continue to extend his full co-operation with the administrators at this very difficult and challenging time for the club."
    There has been no official confirmation about players leaving but Celik is believed to have secured his departure.
    Celik only joined Rangers in January, the club's sole signing during the transfer window, but struggled to make an initial impression.
    The 21-year-old arrived under freedom of contract from GAIS, but the Swedish club were due compensation.
    Wylde arrived at Rangers' Murray Park training ground in mid-afternoon after it emerged that he had offered to leave.
    The 20-year-old, who has made 47 appearances for the club, told STV: "I wanted to help out the club by keeping people in a job.
    "I was so tired I couldn't really sleep at night. It was getting to me so I thought I would leave."
    It is understood that the pair could be the only two players leaving if an agreement can be struck on Wednesday.

Uploads

Glenn Hoddle: Interested in Chelsea job

HODDLE EXPECTS BLUES TO LOOK ABROAD

Glenn Hoddle wants the manager's job at former club Chelsea - but concedes it is likely to be given to another foreign boss.
    The 54-year-old spent three years at the Stamford Bridge helm during the mid-1990s, before leaving to take the England national team post.
    Hoddle was the last Englishman to hold the manager's job at Chelsea and does not expect that to change when Roman Abramovich chooses a long-term replacement for Andre Villas-Boas.

However, if the west Londoners do plump for a British boss, Hoddle would love to be considered for the post.
    "I think they will probably keep with the policy of staying foreign, I really do," he told Press Association Sport.
    "I was the last English manager to be there and that was a long, long time ago - over 15 years ago. That is staggering and I think they will probably go foreign, but it is strange because I loved working for the club.
    "It was different then to what it is now and I only left because England came calling.
    "If they were prepared to look for an English manager, I would love to go back there. I really must say that.
    "I did a good job when I was there and a lot of Chelsea fans actually say when I meet them 'thanks for what you did because we started something there'.

"Chelsea hadn't done much for 27 years and they could start to see the progression that was coming very quickly. It has obviously been taken on since Ken Bates was chairman and [former vice-chairman] Matthew Harding died.
    "It has been taken on with new owners and the rest is history, but I think they will go foreign."
    Roberto Di Matteo has been appointed interim first-team coach for the remainder of the campaign following Villas-Boas' exit the day after Saturday's 1-0 defeat at West Brom.
    Hoddle was surprised by the Portuguese manager's departure and believes Villas-Boas' former assistant is in pole position to take the job going forward.

"I am a little bit surprised to see him go," said Hoddle, speaking at the launch of the Elite Legends Cup at Loftus Road.
    "I felt the key for AVB was going to be the Napoli game, but obviously the result at the weekend was probably just a bit too much for the club and they have changed.
    "I wish Robbie Di Matteo all the best and he is in pole position really.
    "If he does well between now and the end of the season, he could find himself getting that job full-time. I know Robbie well, good luck to him, it is a difficult task but I would still say they have got a good squad there.
    "They have good players and a good back and whoever takes that job over has got an opportunity there without any shadow of a doubt."

Uploads

Frederic Piquionne: Doncaster loan

DONCASTER PICK UP PIQUIONNE

Doncaster have secured the services of West Ham striker Frederic Piquionne on loan.
    The 33-year-old French forward has joined Rovers initially for a month but could stay longer if the move works out for both parties.
    Piquionne has made 21 first team appearances for the Hammers this season but recently lost his place in Sam Allardyce's starting line-up.
    The striker reportedly rejected offers to join Fulham and Sunderland in the January transfer window, but has now joined Doncaster's battle to avoid relegation from the npower Championship.

He told Rovers' official website: "I have been involved in scraps like this before at some of my previous clubs and I'm ready.
    "In my head I'm a warrior and I will fight to keep Doncaster in the Championship."

Uploads

Podolski: Expected to be a top summer target for Arsenal

MERTESACKER - PODOLSKI IS KEEN

Per Mertesacker admits he has been in regular contact with reported Arsenal target Lukas Podolski and has done his best to sell the club to the striker.
    Speculation continues to suggest that Cologne frontman Podolski will be a top summer target for Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.
    The Germany international is a proven goalscorer and Arsenal have been short of firepower in recent years.
    Robin van Persie has been forced to carry much of the burden of responsibility in the final third and were he to pick up an injury or suspension, Wenger would find himself short of options in an important area of the field.

Podolski appears to be keen on the prospect of making a move to Emirates Stadium, having already been in touch with fellow countryman Mertesacker about life in north London.
    "He has been very interested in the past few weeks and has sent me a number of text messages," the Arsenal centre-half told Sky Deutschland.
    "I've told him that this is a great place to work and that Arsenal are an amazing club.
    "Nothing has been agreed on yet, though, and Lukas hasn't given me a ring yet."

Uploads

Dave King (r): Liquidation is inevitable

RANGERS LIQUIDATION 'INEVITABLE'?

Rangers director Dave King believes it is "inevitable" the club will plunge into liquidation.
    South Africa-based King, the only survivor from the Sir David Murray era on the board, also announced his intention to sue the former Rangers owner and criticised current Ibrox chief Craig Whyte after the Clydesdale Bank Premier League champions entered administration last month.
    In a 1200-word statement, King said: "I do not believe that there is a reasonable prospect that the company can come out of administration. I believe that liquidation is inevitable."

King met with Rangers manager Ally McCoist and administrators Duff and Phelps on February 22, eight days after the club formally entered administration.
    The Glasgow-born businessman felt now was an appropriate time to comment on events at Ibrox "having had the opportunity to visit key stakeholders and to properly consider the information now available to me".
    King anticipates there will be wholesale changes and "we must all strive to ensure that an appropriate ownership structure guarantees that this event is never repeated".
    He said: "It grieves me to state that it seems inevitable that the footballing institution will survive but the company won't.
    "This will entail many hurdles (that will be overcome) including 'Rangers (2012) Ltd' having to reapply for membership of the SFA (Scottish Football Association) etc.
    "It is a sad point to have reached, but if managed sensibly, it can result in Rangers returning to its former glory as a football club in the shortest time possible.

"We must all strive to ensure that an appropriate ownership structure guarantees that this event is never repeated.
    "We must remember that our footballing friends across the city came very close to the point that we now find ourselves in.
    "Scottish football needs a strong Rangers and Celtic - but perhaps in a slightly humbler form."
    King announced his intention to take legal action against Murray.
    King added: "I seem to be one of the few people who actually invested cash into the club. I have made a claim of 20 million on the basis of non-disclosure by the then chairman, David Murray, of Rangers' true financial position as far back as 2000.
    "Other shareholders may feel deceived like I do and wish to take similar action. (David Murray will no doubt argue to the contrary and the merits of this will be dealt with in due course in the appropriate forum.)"

Murray and Murray International Holdings Limited were aware of King's comments but a response was not immediately available.
    King insisted any monies recouped would be invested into the club.
    He said: "Any benefit I receive from my claim will be fully reinvested into the restructured football club. I remain 100% committed to the Rangers football club and will do whatever I can to advance its interests."

Uploads

Gregg Wylde: Left Rangers on Tuesday

GREGG WYLDE RELIEF AT GERS EXIT

Scotland Under-21 international Gregg Wylde has described his decision to voluntarily leave Rangers in an effort to avert job cuts elsewhere at the club as "a massive relief".
    Rangers' administrators were on Wednesday hoping to finalise a wage-cut deal after a "very frustrating" failure to agree the fine details amid talks with player agents on Tuesday night.
    As Duff and Phelps prepared to act, Wylde is one of two players expected to leave, along with January signing Mervan Celik. The administrators and the club were this morning still to confirm any player departures.
    Wylde told the Scottish Sun: "It was dragging on and on so I just decided to put my hand up to go to try and save some jobs. I just wanted to help the club.
    "There are people in there who need a wage more than I do right now.
    "My wages might not save a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but I'm just glad to be able to help in some way.
    "It's over for me now. I've got to be honest and say it's a massive relief."

Wylde's future is still to be determined due to the circumstances of his expected departure, with a move to another club far from straightforward.
    Wylde was frustrated by events at Rangers.
    The 20-year-old midfielder said: "I feel so sorry for all the boys who are left. I think all of us just feel massively disappointed we've been left in this state.
    "Everyone's been hopeful that, somehow, we can all move on from it. You've got to keep believing that the club can recover and become stronger for it.
    "There's anger there, absolutely. You don't really know if it's (owner) Craig Whyte or someone else to blame.
    "We've been let down at every turn. The club haven't paid their taxes and it's come back to haunt us.
    "Last year we were celebrating the league. We were hoping to do the same this season.
    "But this has come from nowhere and just floored us."

Uploads

Santander: Currently without a manager

GONZALEZ LEAVES SANTANDER

Racing Santander have parted company with coach Juan Jose Gonzalez after just four months in the post.
    Gonzalez was named as caretaker manager at the end of November following the dismissal of Hector Cuper and, after a successful interim period, Racing announced in December that he would remain in charge until the end of the season.
    However, following a poor run of form, the Primera Division strugglers on Wednesday announced that Gonzalez was no longer coach.
    Fede Castanos and Pablo Pinillos, who were part of the coaching trio put in charge following Cuper's departure, will lead the team while Racing search for a permanent successor.

A statement on the Racing website read: "As of this morning, Juan Jose Gonzalez has ceased to be the coach of Racing. Until it is decided who will occupy the bench, in the final stretch of the season, Fede Castanos and Pablo Pinillos will continue at the helm of the team."
    Since picking up seven points from three games at the start of December, Racing have managed a return of only four points from a possible 21.
    Saturday's 4-2 defeat at Rayo Vallecano proved the final game in charge for Gonzalez, who leaves with Racing 18th in the 20-team Primera Division and three points adrift of safety.

The statement continued: "We want to show our appreciation to Juan Jose Gonzalez who, at the request of the club, took on a great responsibility at a very difficult time. Now, still in difficulty, the team continue fighting, is alive, committed and with a chance to stay up.
    "But to achieve that it is necessary, essential, to be together, that everyone associated with Racing remain united. For that, we ask for the support of everybody around the club as only from being together will we achieve the objective of safety."
    Racing are at home to Barcelona this weekend.

Uploads

Shelvey: Was recalled by Liverpool in December

BLACKPOOL 'WANT SHELVEY BACK'

Blackpool have re-iterated their desire to bring Jonjo Shelvey back to Bloomfield Road on loan for the remainder of the season.
    The Liverpool midfielder made 10 appearances for the Seasiders before being recalled by his parent club in early December because of injuries at Anfield.
    He has since featured in six games for the Reds and it has been reported that Kenny Dalglish will not allow him to return to the Lancashire coast until Liverpool's injury concerns ease.
    Blackpool secretary Matt Williams told the local Gazette: "We have been told that Liverpool won't let Jonjo out until (Steven) Gerrard is completely fit.
    "Jonjo wants to come to Blackpool and we want him here, and we will keep stalking Liverpool until we get him.

"The physio at Anfield is a friend of mine and I will be sending him plenty of texts over the next week or so to check on Gerrard's fitness.
    "We are also in close contact with Liverpool's director of football Damien Comolli and we hope we will be able to get Jonjo back at some stage."
    And the club's manager Ian Holloway added: "We have already had him and I know what the lad is capable of. I really like him.
    "He made a big impression when he was here and he wouldn't have gone back had there not been an injury at Liverpool.
    "We'll keep monitoring it and hope that we might be able to get something done."

Uploads

Carlos Cuellar: Happy at Villa Park

CUELLAR - NO NEW CONTRACT OFFER YET

Aston Villa defender Carlos Cuellar says he has still not received a new contract offer from the midlands club.
    Cuellar, whose current deal expires this summer, has been holding talks with Villa over his future.
    But the Spaniard, in impressive form in recent weeks, confirmed no concrete proposal has so far been put forward by Villa.
    He said: "Has there been an offer? No, there has been no offer yet. I am relaxed about it, I am fine.
    "If they want me to stay here, it will be easy. I am happy here at Villa, I would like to stay.

"If not, if my contract is finished I will have to say 'thank you, goodbye, it was a pleasure to be here, and I am grateful for the last four years.'
    "In football it sometimes happens, it's alright."
    Cuellar, signed from Rangers for 8 million, is prepared to give Villa every opportunity to re-sign him.
    He said: "Because I'm in my last year, from January I could speak to other teams, even sign if I wanted.
    "But always I give the first opportunity to Villa. There is interest from other clubs but I say 'no' at this stage. If I'm not in the manager's plans, I will start to talk."